Paulding.com

My husband was just held hostage for 3 hours

I am not one to bash our emergency services. My father was a fireman, I totally appreciate their devotion.

But how can there be a 3 car accident on an icy bridge for 3 hours and not even a tow truck comes?

About 5:45 tonight my husband came up Dabbs Bridge Road from 41 towards 61. He got to the big red barn before the bridge over Pumpkinvine Creek. He was stopped. And thought it would clear eventually. He had already passed at least 2 wrecks on DB. About 8, I called 911 to make sure it had been reported. Because nothing was happening. I was told by the operator that they were aware of the accident and didn't know when they would get to it. Maybe tomorrow. Our emergency vehicles can't drive in this.

Are you kidding me? Why can't our emergency vehicles drive in an emergency? What if there had been some fatalities?

So finally, someone walked back from the bridge and said that the one police officer said that even if they moved the cars, they wouldn't be letting anyone cross the bridge until the salt truck came by.

So finally, my husband turned around and went around Cedarcrest to Harmony Grove to DB.

I don't know when/if the salt truck ever got there, but the whole ordeal was totally ridiculous.

There was probably a mile of back up. Couldn't the police officer went down the line and told everyone what was going on. Especially after 2 hours. Stupid.

Maybe our county services needs to have some tactical training in how to handle emergencies on ice.

And what about the BOE not letting people know if the schools are going to be closed? If our emergency personel can't drive on this, do they really think our busses can with our children on them? I THINK NOT!!!

Have a nice evening everyone. Stay safe, slow down, and be careful.

And thank you public service workers for all that you do for everything that you guys do to keep our county safe.

Graham Rd has been shut down for over 3 hours. Van stuck in ditch and across the road at the end of my drive. I was told salt truck was called over 3 hrs ago. Still waiting..

I didn't say that this ice is no big deal.

Quite the opposite. But if our emergency services can't get out in this kind of emergency, what is this county to do if someone is in a serious life or death episode?

And BTW, the way to drive on ice- S.L.O.W.L.Y!!!

curse all the dumbasses clogging the bridges while eating pop tarts and drinking scotch for being in the got damn way?

I agree, but no one was hurt (as far as we know). No ambulance ever came.

Again, since it wasn't life threatening, why couldn't they move the cars, let the police and fire truck move on to the next serious accident (wherever that might be)

It wouldn't of mattered if they did move the car of the bridge. It is still backed up past the bridge.

He wouldn't of been able to go far. I say give it a rest and be thankful it wasn't any worse for him.

I'm sure there are a lot of emotions running high tonight and so many of us have been sitting at home reading and posting on pcom while others are stranded or have loved ones that are stranded. I listened to my husband rant and rave over the phone when he was stranded - he's home now and he has calmed down. It's okay to vent. I don't know how an officer would have notified the people that were being "held hostage" if the roads were that bad unless he told the nearest person and they got out of their car and told the next person and they kept passing the info on. But then if they all tried to turn around and go a different way that might have caused a bigger mess. The biggest problem I see is that once again our weather people underestimated therefore no one was prepared.

I love how in the original post you said the deputy informed drivers that even if the cars were moved nobody would be allowed on the bridge until the salt trucks could get there yet your biggest b*tch seems to be that they wouldn't use personal vehicles to move the vehicles out of the way.

Maybe hubby wasn't the only one sipping scotch. LOL

"Lord please forgive me and may God bless the Pygmies in New Guinea"

In MOST (not all) instances I totally agree with you all. But tonight has shown exceptionally well how poorly our emergency system is. I can't believe that our 911 operators are telling people that our emergency vehicles can't drive in this.

I understand it's happening over all of North Georgia, but to tell a resident that they may not get help until tomorrow, really?

Agreed.

They may not get help for a property damage accident instead of risking taxpayer property and county employees ... not as big of a deal when you look at the reality of the situation. It's not like they told you somebody wouldn't get help if they had an actual emergency.

If you would take some of your precious time and listen to what they are dealing with on the scanner, you would might get a clue....

AMEN!!!

I understand but I didn't have a computer at the time to check the scanner. Luckliy he had his phone and could let me know he was running late. I do understand that their were multiple wrecks. But how hard is it to slide a few cars off the bridge with some of those cars that are sitting there?

Or at least give the people sitting there some info.

That's really all I'm saying.

Come on you can't be serious! I am appalled that you would suggest that the SO isn't doing everything they can to get as many people as they can home safely. I would really like to see you get out there and do what they do. Would you really put your safety on the line like they do. I understand that you "believe" that these officers are just sitting around but they may be doing other things to arrange the removal of these vehicles. And get the roadway clear so that others like your husband don't end up in the ditch!!!

I have an idea....911 is hiring, but the problem with this SUPER high stress and thankless job is that most people CAN'T DO IT! So, I think you should high tail it right on up to the sheriffs dept, and put in your application since you can obviously do a much better job than everybody else there including my dispatcher daughter who is having to deal with this nightmare and the thousands, YES thousands, of calls that are coming in.

And since your husband is the only person that has been held up tonite by accidents and ice and other uncontrollable circumstances, please accept my apology on the behalf of the entire Paulding County Emergency Services Department.

I just wants to send a big thank you to your daughter. If you would please pass this along. Dispatchers have one of the hardest jobs around. I can not imagine all of the hysterical, pissed off, upset, and emotional people that they are having to deal with tonight. I hope she gets to go home after her shift and take a bubble bath and get some sleep. Give her a BIG hug for me she deserves it!!!!

Everyone keeps saying the meteorologists got it wrong, but they predicted it several days ago.

i watched the weather while waiting for my car to warm up this morning. freezing rain was predicted for the afternoon hours.

i took responsibility for myself and my vehicle and left work early.

got home safe and sound, usual length of commute time.

Yep ... before the snow the other day had even started falling they were already talking about this possibility and this being a set up that needed to be watched.

Everyone keeps saying the meteorologists got it wrong, but they predicted it several days ago.

i watched the weather while waiting for my car to warm up this morning. freezing rain was predicted for the afternoon hours.

Well you are just silly like that. I told my BIL he better be off tonight because I am not driving him anyway.

A wrecked emergency vehicle is useless, if it's determined it would be too risky to send one out to particular location to a situation that isn't life threatening, then it will not be sent out. If it wrecked, or became immobilized then it would be unavailable to reach someone or a situation where a life could be in danger. If it is such a situation, then they will send one out but they will most likely stop if the risk is greater to the rescue workers or others. Your husband made it HOME, there are many people out there that are NOT making it home tonight.

Understanding the difficulties of the present circumstance is difficult.

First, the roads got slick about a hour before anyone expected.

Second, other than chains, which we don't have here anyway (and are illegal on GA roads) there is no getting around on glare ice.

Part of the difficulty, of course, is that some folks don't know how to drive in this stuff at all.

you'll find them in the valley between two hillcrests blocking both lanes like water in the trap under your sink. That road is now closed until the salt truck comes and de-ices the road (or bridge).

Folks from other parts of the country just don't get it. They see ice and snow - usually lots of snow - and don't grasp that glare ice can be impassible.

Oh, let me remind folks again that they have a scanner if they have a smart phone capable of viewing the video (flash-based) file on Paulding.com. I even created a 'short URL' for it http://goo.gl/WgCJR Bookmark it on your Droid or similar smart phone and you'll be able to listen to the Paulding Police Scanner anywhere you can can connect to the Internet.

In any case, I can understand the issues feeling frustrated. There was a lot of frustration out there and it was bound to pop up here. I certainly don't hold it against the OP. It was not a good situation. Unfortunately, this is typical and, because of all the other drivers on the road, impossible to avoid. There are people still stuck on the roads as I write. They probably won't freeze and I hope they were smart enough to only run their car long enough to heat up the inside so they could conserve fuel (We've heard of several running out of gasoline.)

Im closing this topic though.... in about five minutes or so.

pubby.

I was at work until after 8 last night and out early for a meeting. I missed the memo.

I didn't know until I walked to my car at 4:30 that the ground had somehow gotten wet.

I drove slow. Good thing I just bought new tires.

Hi, I'm personal responsibility, and I'm knocking.

%27David%27+Mr+Opportunity+Honda.jpg

Edited by dumbestgirlintheworld

I never said he was only vehicle on the road. And he did leave work earlier than normal. When he left work (his own company) at 4 ish, it wasn't as bad. In fact, my next door neighbor that came from the same place. She made it home just fine. When she got to the bridge and noticed it was slippery-SHE SLOWED DOWN. And didn't cause an accident. Not that she had a perfect ride home, but she was careful and drove slowly.

And you can rest assured he won't be on the road tomorrow until he knows it's safe. Me either.

And as for the advice my father would have given me-he probably would have been helping to move people with his own personal vehicle or even his hands. On ice, the car would probably slide - off the bridge to the grass before the bridge- pretty easily. In fact, I remember him doing that before.

And as for drinking and driving- nope. He had already turned the truck off. HA. And there was maybe 3 sips left in the flask.

I'm sorry for anyone that I have offended. No offense was intended. I have quite a few PCSO friends. I am sure that the lady whose daughter works as a 911 operator- I wasn't trying to bash them. Not one bit. And I would love to work there. But I already have a very busy life. No time for another job. Thanks anyways. Maybe my daughter would like to try for that. She'd love it.

And I don't mind posting under my business name. I have clients who will hear about this during the next couple of weeks. And they know me and understand me. What you see it what you get. And they love me and I them. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Sorry to stir the pot then log off. But I've got to get ready for bed since I'm not sure if my kiddos will be in school tomorrow or not.

Night all.

I understand what you are saying BUT and IF you are from up North we are equiped with such vehicles that handle these kinds of emergency where the South isn't equiped with such vehicles because they normally don't have to deal with snow or ice. They do the best they can with what they have. They can take all the class's they can but if they don't have the equipment and the experience in dealing with this, it will take some time. I'm from the New England area, raised in Michigan, and I have to say that our boys out there, whether the sheriff department, EMT's, or the fire station, they are doing a wonderful job out there tonight to help those that ran off the road.

Also, I don't care where a person is from, it is a b*tch to drive on black ice. I have all the experience in driving in winter conditions, but black ice, one will never master.

And for the record: Don't use salt, it ruins the roads and vehicles. Use dirt/sand, it's better all around for roads and vehicles.

Well it really would not have hurt for the So to have started the message to be passed on down the line that they could turn around and try an alternate route since it didn't look good;

I mean really if you are just sitting thing waiting on a tow truck and salt truck, what else did he possibly have to do?

I am just sayin I would have done it out of courtesy to the drivers.

How does it matter if the cars were in the way if the deputy said nobody was going across the bridge until a salt truck had been through?

And how on earth has this thread title not been changed yet? As quickly as so many others get changed. I'm shocked.

AMEN!!!

Come on you can't be serious! I am appalled that you would suggest that the SO isn't doing everything they can to get as many people as they can home safely. I would really like to see you get out there and do what they do. Would you really put your safety on the line like they do. I understand that you "believe" that these officers are just sitting around but they may be doing other things to arrange the removal of these vehicles. And get the roadway clear so that others like your husband don't end up in the ditch!!!

I just wants to send a big thank you to your daughter. If you would please pass this along. Dispatchers have one of the hardest jobs around. I can not imagine all of the hysterical, pissed off, upset, and emotional people that they are having to deal with tonight. I hope she gets to go home after her shift and take a bubble bath and get some sleep. Give her a BIG hug for me she deserves it!!!!

I will certainly tell her and THANK YOU! I'll be honest, I had NO IDEA what 911 was about before she went to work there. I thought that they answered the phone and sent an ambulance or the police. BOY WAS I WRONG!

The multi-multi tasking that they have to do while watching more than one screen and trying to handle every kind of call imaginable all at once, I don't even know how they begin to do it. And the training involved is H-U-G-E!!

I will say that this job was custom made for her, she loves it and she's really good at it and when someone slams the 911 system with having no clue what they are talking about or whats involved, it tends to light a fire under my behind!!

You can still get a DUI if the vehicle is off. If the car will slide, so will the people, it only outweighs then by about 3,000 pounds. And an officer that would ask or direct people to use their personal vehicle to move others is asking for a huge liability case.

• Like 1

Three hours wait for a wreck is not too bad, for tonight.

It took me 50 minutes to get from Bill Carruth Pkwy to my house on Hiram Sudie, which by the way is less than 3 miles and a normal 3-4 minute drive. NO WRECK ANYWHERE. When the road is a solid sheet of ice and you have IDIOTS riding your bumper the whole way--it is expected.

I didn't say that this ice is no big deal.

Quite the opposite. But if our emergency services can't get out in this kind of emergency, what is this county to do if someone is in a serious life or death episode?

And BTW, the way to drive on ice- S.L.O.W.L.Y!!!

I don't think you need to be replying to anyone on this board after that crap you posted earlier. Did you ever think the emergency crews were working OTHER accidents that might have been life or death? Probably not with that selfish attitude of yours.

BTW, I don't need your advice about the ice driving, the proper answer is "don't drive on ice". I think most of us would agree that your should focus on cleaning up your act.

<walking away disappointed at some ignorant/selfish people>

• Like 1

I never said he was only vehicle on the road. And he did leave work earlier than normal. When he left work (his own company) at 4 ish, it wasn't as bad. In fact, my next door neighbor that came from the same place. She made it home just fine. When she got to the bridge and noticed it was slippery-SHE SLOWED DOWN. And didn't cause an accident. Not that she had a perfect ride home, but she was careful and drove slowly.

And you can rest assured he won't be on the road tomorrow until he knows it's safe. Me either.

And as for the advice my father would have given me-he probably would have been helping to move people with his own personal vehicle or even his hands. On ice, the car would probably slide - off the bridge to the grass before the bridge- pretty easily. In fact, I remember him doing that before.

And as for drinking and driving- nope. He had already turned the truck off. HA. And there was maybe 3 sips left in the flask.

I'm sorry for anyone that I have offended. No offense was intended. I have quite a few PCSO friends. I am sure that the lady whose daughter works as a 911 operator- I wasn't trying to bash them. Not one bit. And I would love to work there. But I already have a very busy life. No time for another job. Thanks anyways. Maybe my daughter would like to try for that. She'd love it.

And I don't mind posting under my business name. I have clients who will hear about this during the next couple of weeks. And they know me and understand me. What you see it what you get. And they love me and I them. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Sorry to stir the pot then log off. But I've got to get ready for bed since I'm not sure if my kiddos will be in school tomorrow or not.

Night all.

Open container? lmao this thread is a hoot!

I'm assuming he drove the car home after his little snack, too.

Fine, it may have only been a little nip but what a silly thing to post.

You can still get a DUI if the vehicle is off. If the car will slide, so will the people, it only outweighs then by about 3,000 pounds. And an officer that would ask or direct people to use their personal vehicle to move others is asking for a huge liability case.