Paulding.com

SPLOST PASSES; GOP REBUFFS DISTRICT 19 CHALLENGE

SPLOST PASSES; GOP REBUFFS DISTRICT 19 CHALLENGE

UPDATED WITH 14 OF 14 PRECINCTS REPORTING

County voters, many frustrated with one, two and three hour waits to vote, were not so irate as to deny the local schools continuation of the E-SPLOST, this time dedicated to repayment of existing debt including close to $60 million in bonded indebtedness. The E-SPLOST was leading in the most recent count by a margin greater than that earned by the SPLOST passed to fund county projects, including improved roads, this summer. The unofficial cumulative vote in favor was 17,479 (55.15%) to those voting no of 14.215 (44.85%)

The one contested race that featured Democratic hopeful Will Avery against the GOP nominee for District 19, Paulette Braddock ended the night with Ms. Braddock walking away with a landslide. Paulding, a bastion of Republicanism, rejected the challenge by a two to one vote.

The cumulative vote total for the race showed Ms. Braddock with 65.45 percent of the vote to Avery's 34.24 percent. Ms. Braddock obtained 11 ,109 votes to Mr. Avery's 5,812 votes. Turnout appeared lower than most estimates with 46.6 percent of the voters in the 19th having cast ballots.

While Ms. Braddock's victory was substantial, she did trail other Republican's on the ballot in terms of the percentage support she obtained. Among Paulding voters Sen. Isakson's Paulding margin was 72.97 percent to Michael Thurmond's 23.91 percent. Nathan Deal trounced Roy Barns by a 67/28 margin and Casey Cagle polled 70 percent of the vote to Carol Porter's 26 percent. Sen. Bill Heath's margin was the highest of any single Republican; his margin in Paulding was 76 percent to Tracy Bennett's 23 percent.

Overall, 32,941 Paulding residents cast ballots according to the unofficial final count rendered at 1:08 am. That represented 46.23 percent of the county's 71,257 registered voters.

Edited by PUBBY
update polling numbers

Pubster -

How do you get 21% voted? Do you mean voted today or total?

The last update showed:

Registered Voters 71257 - Cards Cast 26186 36.75%

That is including all early voting with 4 precincts left and I would think that McClure would be the site of most of them and with the turnout there that number should climb a good bit.

Passing the ESPLOST was not very smart. You folks just gave up our chance to write off our losses as a property tax paid deduction. Now you (and I) will pay more for everything we buy and will not get any real benefit from it. You will NOT save as much by losing the tax deduction and not paying more sales tax. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I wish that issue would have been an independent decision and not a county decision because I don't trust you folks to think things out.

• Like 1

Now you (and I) will pay more for everything we buy and will not get any real benefit from it. You will NOT save as much by losing the tax deduction and not paying more sales tax.

Maybe in your case CJ, but for others of us it makes sense.

You do have the option to buy all your stuff out of county and not pay the SPLOST. Then you'll get savings on both sides. 8)

Maybe in your case CJ, but for others of us it makes sense.

You do have the option to buy all your stuff out of county and not pay the SPLOST. Then you'll get savings on both sides. 8)

Not with the gas mileage I get.

I bet you are one of the few who did the math and didn't just vote "for the children." Let's run numbers again at the end of the first year.

Keep yer receipts.

No kudos to the first woman elected to this seat?

And how is it denying the schools if the money is just going to be used to pay off debt that we would have to pay either way with our property tax?

I hope our first female representative from District 19 makes us proud. Please save me some money, Paulette.

Congratulations to Paulette Braddock who was able to ignore (graciously from what I saw) and overcome a vicious pcom smear campaign.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Paulette Braddock who was able to ignore (graciously from what I saw) and overcome a vicious pcom smear campaign.

I will again say, the more they tried to smear Paulette, the more they helped her. ;)

I will hold her to the fire and expect nothing but the best for the citizens of Paulding County. She needs to understand why she won this seat. ;)

I will again say, the more they tried to smear Paulette, the more they helped her. ;)

I will hold her to the fire and expect nothing but the best for the citizens of Paulding County. She needs to understand why she won this seat. ;)

I agree with both statements. I think the vicious smear campaigns do not help the competition, but actually hinder them. I do not think Will could have won, but his showing might have been higher if people were not so put off by some of what was put out. I hope they think about that next time.

If she thinks she got called out a little on here, just wait until January....this is going to be fun....I have never seen a candidate just sit back and let those just put her in office because of the vote against Democrats...for those that wanted her...you have her...we will see....and there will be those that will look at everything....or should I say what she does not do when her arrival under the Gold Dome....

The results of these two elections are just further proof that moving out of Paulding was the right thing to do...good grief people, you just voted in a proven liar and gave yourself a volentary tax....AGAIN.

Passing the ESPLOST was not very smart. You folks just gave up our chance to write off our losses as a property tax paid deduction. Now you (and I) will pay more for everything we buy and will not get any real benefit from it. You will NOT save as much by losing the tax deduction and not paying more sales tax. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I wish that issue would have been an independent decision and not a county decision because I don't trust you folks to think things out.

If you have a $200K home your property tax savings due to SPLOST will be a minimum $237 @ the existing mil of 2.963. The tax write off if you are in the 25% tax bracket will be $59.25. Now, stick with me here, If SPLOST failed the millage rate would be 3.588, meaning that you would be paying $287 in taxes, making the tax deduction a virtual wash at a 25% marginal tax rate or below.

Now using the figures above, you would have to spend $22,775 in Paulding county on retail items other than food in order to pay the same in taxes, even considering the tax deduction. What this means is that most folks will be far better off with the sales tax.

But wait......there's more.....you can deduct your sales taxes from your Federal Taxes using the IRS Sales Tax Deduction Calculator to figure the amount. Here's an example: CeeJay makes $50k per year and lives in Hiram Georgia and claims 2 deductions on her 1040 form. She would be able to write off $697 in state and local sales tax for 2009. And guess what....that tax deduction is based on the county you live in, not the county where you buy your items, so you get to not only avoid the extra penny sales tax altogether if you shop elsewhere, but you get a bump in your deductions without even paying the tax. Sweet.

So you see Ceejay, people might not be as stupid as you think. Some people will wind up paying more, but the majority will wind up paying somewhat less due to the SPLOST.

No. She only won because she is a Republican, and a disgrace at that.

NO--I think she won partly because she still uses the Rakestraw name--even though it is her ex-husband's name. Some folks just see that name and think they are good folks. Bad apple in every bunch---at least she is not a born and bred Rakestraw.

Just like there are no kudos for the first Black President. She will have to prove her abilities far beyond what she has shown so far, and I'm not too optimistic. Hopeful, but not optimistic. Watch the money.

Paulette and her supporters have worked hard to win this. She deserves to be congratulated. I hope she is the best Representative District 19 has ever had. Paulette you are now My Representative and the People's Representative. Prove your detractors wrong.

Paulette and her supporters have worked hard to win this. She deserves to be congratulated. I hope she is the best Representative District 19 has ever had. Paulette you are now My Representative and the People's Representative. Prove your detractors wrong.

I disagree that Paulette worked hard, but it doesn't matter now. Even though I didn't vote for her (and still wouldn't), I do hope that she does a great job. If she does, I won't have an issue admitting that I was wrong to choose not to vote for either candidate in that race. Also, if she does, it will only benefit the citizens of Paulding. If she doesn't, I hope the citizens of Paulding will see that and will not only hold her accountable immediately, but will vote her out in the next election.

I disagree that Paulette worked hard, but it doesn't matter now. Even though I didn't vote for her (and still wouldn't), I do hope that she does a great job. If she does, I won't have an issue admitting that I was wrong to choose not to vote for either candidate in that race. Also, if she does, it will only benefit the citizens of Paulding. If she doesn't, I hope the citizens of Paulding will see that and will not only hold her accountable immediately, but will vote her out in the next election.

I agree! We can hope that she will do a great job and will work hard for the people of Paulding. Yes, we will be watching.

The results of these two elections are just further proof that moving out of Paulding was the right thing to do...good grief people, you just voted in a proven liar and gave yourself a volentary tax....AGAIN.

:angry2: sigh Is it time to move to TN yet? (No state income tax, no ad valorem tax, etc.)

I didn't vote for her, but some of you on here....Nothing like setting someone up to fail or you hope she fails. I'm not to happy that she won, but I won't pray for her to fail. I understand that if she was to make a mistake that the people will point it out but I think (just my opinion) some just want her to be dragged through the mud just for the hell of it.

If you have a $200K home your property tax savings due to SPLOST will be a minimum $237 @ the existing mil of 2.963. The tax write off if you are in the 25% tax bracket will be $59.25. Now, stick with me here, If SPLOST failed the millage rate would be 3.588, meaning that you would be paying $287 in taxes, making the tax deduction a virtual wash at a 25% marginal tax rate or below.

Now using the figures above, you would have to spend $22,775 in Paulding county on retail items other than food in order to pay the same in taxes, even considering the tax deduction. What this means is that most folks will be far better off with the sales tax.

But wait......there's more.....you can deduct your sales taxes from your Federal Taxes using the IRS Sales Tax Deduction Calculator to figure the amount. Here's an example: CeeJay makes $50k per year and lives in Hiram Georgia and claims 2 deductions on her 1040 form. She would be able to write off $697 in state and local sales tax for 2009. And guess what....that tax deduction is based on the county you live in, not the county where you buy your items, so you get to not only avoid the extra penny sales tax altogether if you shop elsewhere, but you get a bump in your deductions without even paying the tax. Sweet.

So you see Ceejay, people might not be as stupid as you think. Some people will wind up paying more, but the majority will wind up paying somewhat less due to the SPLOST.

THANK YOU

You know the more I think about this, Paulette may have won because she had an R after her name but I truly believe Will Avery lost because he had a D after his. Don't think it was a good year to run on a democratic ticket. :unsure:

I believe he would have done much better in a different time. ;)

You know the more I think about this, Paulette may have won because she had an R after her name but I truly believe Will Avery lost because he had a D after his. Don't think it was a good year to run on a democratic ticket. :unsure:

You're right NG. "Blue dog Dems" or conservative dems who ran in races nation wide got their butts handed to them. I blame the democrat party for putting Will in a situation that He couldn't win even if he walked on water. They actually believed (along with a lot of supporters) that he could win in a super majority republican district in a political time that the (D) stood for "don't elect anyone of this party". Will needs to look at his political stances, distance himself from anything union (not taking thier money), and present himself more in line with the constiuents that he wants to represent.

I am sure the Avery supporters are mad and perplexed on how the public voted the way that they did. I felt the same way during the 2004 race for Sheriff.

I do have to ask - why did Avery run as a D? He must have had beliefs more closely alligned with that party. The facts are that the people of Paulding, and for the most part all of Georgia, reject what the democrat party stands for.

You are right. I liked Will and I thought he ran a great campaign. He could not win with Obama on his side. If he is a true conservative at heart we will see him again without the baggage.

What D***A** votes themselves a tax increase????? Especially in the middle of a reccession????? I guess the same people that after witnessing the the Obamma, Pelosi, Reed and the democratic congress that followed and supported them in lockstep fiasco the past 20 months can still vote for a Democrat... Harry Reed??? Are you kidding me?? Who voted for that guy??? unbelievable... Roy Barnes?? How did this guy get even one vote???

You are right. I liked Will and I thought he ran a great campaign. He could not win with Obama on his side. If he is a true conservative at heart we will see him again without the baggage.

I agree NewsJunky. I like Will also, I think he ran a great campaign and I too feel that Obama hurt him. Will is a class act and I hope this will not deter him from running for office in the future because I truly believe he has so much to offer our county and state.

Ok time out,I for one was against her for multiple reasons. I worked on the Will Avery camp. But the will of the people have spoken. She is our elected official,the voters said so. Now let's come together give her the support she needs and move on. No use crying over spilt milk. Now 2012 is only two years away if her performance is good then so be it. Now if it isn't I will be one of the first to lead the charge.

Now give her a chance and let's move on with new business.:clapping:

Ok time out,I for one was against her for multiple reasons. I worked on the Will Avery camp. But the will of the people have spoken. She is our elected official,the voters said so. Now let's come together give her the support she needs and move on. No use crying over spilt milk. Now 2012 is only two years away if her performance is good then so be it. Now if it isn't I will be one of the first to lead the charge.

Congratulations to Paulette and I wish her the very best. Our county, state and country are experiencing tough times right now and I pray all of our elected officials will work hard, intelligently and diligently for us.

I absolutely agree. I just wanted Will to know that it is never a bad thing to stand and be counted. Thank you standing for office Will. I could not vote for a Democrat but you gave it a great shot.

While there were many that couldn't vote for a Democrat, there were also many that couldn't vote Republican either. :drinks:

Don't give up Will, there is a place for you in Paulding. Just remember to keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. :drinks:

Now let's help Paulette get this right, or else. =@

I do have to ask - why did Avery run as a D? He must have had beliefs more closely alligned with that party. The facts are that the people of Paulding, and for the most part all of Georgia, reject what the democrat party stands for.

I haven't talked to him, but I'm guessing to set himself apart from the field. Everybody in Paulding who wants to get anywhere runs as a Republican, and being an unknown, he would have finished way back in the pack (see: Jason Antivitarte). But by being a conservative Democrat, he had a bigger platform from which to put forth his ideas. He (and I) just misjudged how many people here just see R and vote that way. Again, I am VERY VERY conservative (probably more so than 99% of the people on this board), but I do not vote party...I vote for whom I feel is the best candidate, an I research my votes diligently. I don't get voting for someone because they're "nice". Um....ok. At any rate, I will say that he did a GREAT job of putting himself out there (and here), and certainly has good name recognition now, whatever anyone thinks of him.