Paulding.com

Let's talk about wasteful and extravagant spending

I keep hearing about wasteful and extravagant spending by our leaders.

I am curious what specific things the citizens of the county think are wasteful and extravagant.

I want to know why they are considered a waste of taxpayers money and who they believe benefit from these things.

I know that many think that it is happening, I want the specifics.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope that you are ready for this.....   The sidewalk to nowhere The fountain on the Square The New Courthouse The Airport Several NEW parks New Library     What we needed was.............

Where does the stimulus money come from? Didn't it come from the taxpayers, or was that the money that the government just printed for the heck of it

Not to disrespect you LPPT, I know that you mean well. But I STILL consider all that I said to be true. In respect to the jobs added...I don't buy it, sorry.

I hope that you are ready for this.....

The sidewalk to nowhere

The fountain on the Square

The New Courthouse

The Airport

Several NEW parks

New Library

What we needed was.............

A water resevoir

Textbooks for the students

NO furlough days for county employees.

AND....hold on to your hats................JOBS.

Edited by mysterious
  • Like 6

I hope that you are ready for this.....

The sidewalk to nowhere

You do know that that was stimulus money that did not cost local taxpayers a dime and that had we not taken it someone else would have because it was earmarked and could only be spent one way on those type of projects

The fountain on the Square

You do know that that was stimulus money that did not cost local taxpayers a dime and that had we not taken it someone else would have because it was earmarked and could only be spent one way on those type of projects.

We kept people working, house notes and other bills paid, rather than unemployment and food stamps.

The New Courthouse

You do know that Jerry Shearin and his BOC which are no longer in office bought that with bonds, we can not stop payment on those bonds. We also continue to have to spend because of some issues with the construction.

As long as Jerry is no longer involved with our local government we should not have any other problems like that.

The Airport

The airport was also done under the Shearin team. To help you understand what is at stake there are certain things that have to be done to have it payback the citizens of the county what they were forced to put in it.

But lets just be blunt about the airport situation. That some folks either want the progress stopped and want to be bought out to the tune of millions because the airport is disturbing them.

They believe that the taxpayers money should first be spent to buy them out, then the airport can proceed to make money to pay back taxpayers investment.

When you look at the potential for jobs and tax base, look at Mccullum,commercial property backs up right to the hangers on all sides. It is a huge boost to economy. the land out there will only grow in value for tax base and jobs.

Several NEW parks

New Library

Back at square one the Shearin team appropriated the money for this, you do understand about appropriation right? Then proceeded to spend almost 1/2 of those funds on planning and moving dirt. They put no limits on cost over run giving the selected builders a blank check to finish the job.

The newly elected BOC rebid it and had new plans saving the taxpayers millions of dollars that they had been obligated to spend.

What we needed was.............

A water resevoir

And once again we are back to Shearin and team, there is a rumor of a pissing contest lost by Paulding county that resulted in a hell would freeze over before there is funding for this. It was shelved during the last administration.

The dust being blown off a year later caused us to incur huge expenses to finish the studies for it.

We spend the least of any county in Georgia to educate each student, I believe the taxpayers in the county are satisfied with that.

NO furlough days for county employees.

It was furlough, layoff, or raise millage. We are all free o contact the commissioners and tell them how bad we feel for the county employees and ask them to raise our millage rate. It was my understanding that they did not receive any messages of this type from taxpayers. Probably because many of them were laid off and barely able to pay their mortgages.

AND....hold on to your hats................JOBS.

Over 200 new jobs have been created in Paulding in less than a year. We have had many areas with existing businesses declared opportunity zones. Existing businesses here in the county will get huge tax breaks for adding employees.

The millions that the movie studio and new companies are pumping into the economy monthly will result in small and existing business hiring more.

80 of those new jobs will pay around 40,000 10,000 above the average 30,000 currently.

My understanding is that there is a huge amount of international companies looking to locate here. If we can do this in one year, with a new economic development plan, I am excited to see what we can do in the second year.

I am hearing so much excited chatter from small companies about the new jobs and tax breaks it is incredible.

Where does the stimulus money come from? Didn't it come from the taxpayers, or was that the money that the government just printed for the heck of it

]

When government earmarks money it can not be spent on anything else. The original idea of this was to appropriate funds for needed projects and not allow them to be diverted to pet projects as politicians came and went.

The city of Dallas did not create that, and that money could never be used for anything else if it sat there a 100 years.

Not to disrespect you LPPT, I know that you mean well. But I STILL consider all that I said to be true.

In respect to the jobs added...I don't buy it, sorry.

So we had officials from all over the state attend a fake press conference that was released in every news outlet for 50 miles.

I am sorry hun those jobs are a matter of record, not just here, but with the department of labor.

You are right everything you mentioned is fact, and you know who your last BOC consisted of and you know they are gone and have been for a few years.

You can't change those facts.

There is a very clear time line and I have video proof of who was in office and many of the other things such as the reservoir.

We cut 70 government jobs and added 200 private sector jobs. We cut the budget, we kept taxes low. That is conservatism in it's purest form.

So we had officials from all over the state attend a fake press conference that was released in every news outlet for 50 miles.

I am sorry hun those jobs are a matter of record, not just here, but with the department of labor.

You are right everything you mentioned is fact, and you know who your last BOC consisted of and you know they are gone and have been for a few years.

There is a very clear time line and I have video proof of who was in office and many of the other things such as the reservoir.

We lost 70 government jobs and added 200 public sector jobs. We cut the budget, we kept taxes low. That is conservatism in it's purest form.

Sounds like Obamanomics to me.....JMHO.

• Like 2

We spend the least of any county in Georgia to educate each student, I believe the taxpayers in the county are satisfied with that

WRONG, I am an unsatisfied tax payer.

I would much rather spend a little extra money and have our children actually receive an education.

• Like 4

We spend the least of any county in Georgia to educate each student, I believe the taxpayers in the county are satisfied with that

I would much rather spend a little extra money and have our children actually receive an education.

That is fine, I think the opportunity for you to do that is coming up soon.

The BOc does not control the school board or what they do with the money.

They are all up for re-election. But the record stands as people not wanting to put any more in to education in Georgia. I doubt you will be very popular in wanting to raise taxes and spend more.

and what a crying shame that is for Paulding County

Just wait until it comes up and see what the majority want.

I sacrificed for 10 years to send mine to private school, you heard no complaining from me ever about the schools on this site.

Which schools are you not satisfied with?? Any in particular or all Paulding County schools?

I believe the record will reflect that the Fountains just pass the forst Baptist Church is the only thing paid for by the Stimulus passed by president Obama.

I believe that the sidewalk to nowhere was built by Local SPLOST as was the land purchased by the City of Dallas for the fountain

The street scapes and other items on the square was from a Federal grant, And I believe that was awarded when president Bush was in office at the request of Congressman Gingrey?

Ya'll correct me where I am wrong.

I understand that the Courthouse and the airport are things that was done even though the tax payers was screaming while they where done and voted the airport down! We must go forward and make the best of them and attempt to make money with the airport.

I do think that the parks and rec needs to be better ran! I know the guys that work out there and they do a great job but they can not keep up with all the parks and at times they look run down! I know at one time they could not even buy weed eater cord to cut the fence lines with. So if we can't maintain the facilities why keep building them and not man them fully? I think that there could be a better marketing plan for the parks department as well. You look at Villa Rica Parks and rec. they have a nice website with all their info and sports forms and really put together. We have nothing! If you are going to build really nice parks you have to market them and make them user friendly so folks can get information on the programs and such. It is so hard to get up to date information without having to call and wait and wait for it! With technology today we should have a website for parks and rec make it user friendly!

I do think that David has done a great job in holding down cost and developing the economic board, I think we must continue in that mind set that we must get jobs in here and build a tax base not just on housing. I don't care for Mike Jones the county administrator, sorry he is very arrogant and full of himself and I think he is a waste of tax payers money! He would have gone before a lot of the other hard working county employees lost their jobs!

That is my two cents on that issue! :) :) :)

Sitting on my hands on one of your points.

I had heard that travel ball is a huge money maker for Parks and Rec. and even a community. I am not sure why we aren't doing it. I heard something about it being to much work, It seems that if you worked at it you would be rewarded with more help when it got rolling.

They would have simply brought in another county administrator at the same pay and he would have had to hand down the cuts too.

Where are all of the concerned citizens at BOC meetings saying we are willing to have our taxes raised to keep all the jobs.

It is a budget, you get x amount of money to work with unless you raise taxes.

It blows my mind to hear people complain about big government, taxes. money wasted and in the same breath want something that you have to tax people more to get.

Make up your mind, you want higher taxes for the things you mentioned, or do you want to wait until we have a balanced tax structure to improve these things.

Your going to blame Mike Jones for doing the job he is paid to do. He is paid to let people go when we aren't bringing in enough tax revenue.

I believe the record will reflect that the Fountains just pass the forst Baptist Church is the only thing paid for by the Stimulus passed by president Obama.

I believe that the sidewalk to nowhere was built by Local SPLOST as was the land purchased by the City of Dallas for the fountain

The street scapes and other items on the square was from a Federal grant, And I believe that was awarded when president Bush was in office at the request of Congressman Gingrey?

Ya'll correct me where I am wrong.

That splost is divided, each city decides what to do with their portion.

Firework shows, Christmas tree lightnings, concerts in the park.

A Grant is the same as stimulus,ear marked.

The taxpayers money has already been put aside, so someone is going to get it.

Put a stop to the feds earmarking stimulus and grants instead of blaming local folks for taking it.

I think you are wrong about the sidewalks, it was related to the silver comet trail.

On top of that, frankly Downtown Dallas looked like a dump before the work was done.

Lord knows those leases change hands year after year, many wouldn't even put a coat of paint on the facades.

Phil Gingrey was quick to hand Paulding County that check but voted against the spending. Why didn't he and Paulding just refuse the money if they felt that strongly about the spending?

Also, stimulus money is an effective tool to "prime the pump" of the economy. Everyone who has taken high school economics understands that concept.

Textbooks are very, very, VERY expensive. It is much cheaper to have a classroom set and the CD for the students to use since nearly all students have access to a computer. For what we pay for books, we can keep classroom teachers employed and buses running.

Just admit what you really want. You want a voucher program so that the students whose parents can afford to put them in private school will do that, leaving the poorest to the public system. In effect, you want to go back to an economic segregation model.

• Like 2

Just admit what you really want. You want a voucher program so that the students whose parents can afford to put them in private school will do that, leaving the poorest to the public system. In effect, you want to go back to an economic segregation model.

I don't think she was saying that, she is saying that things are so terrible in Paulding, our taxes are high and we don't get anything for them.

She sees wasteful spending every where she looks,she is not particular in who she blames.

Everyone with an I in front of their name is lying to cover up their extravagant lifestyles, jet setting all over the country on $149.00 plane tickets and dinners at McDonalds.

It's going to be a knee slapper anyway when these voucher folks figure out the vouchers won't pay for books, uniforms, and school lunches. That is going to come out of pocket to the tune of a couple of grand a year per child. The haves will get help with private school tuition and the have not's will have to send their kids to underfunded public schools.

You think people are complaining now? just wait.

• Like 1

I don't think she was saying that, she is saying that things are so terrible in Paulding, our taxes are high and we don't get anything for them.

She sees wasteful spending every where she looks,she is not particular in who she blames.

Everyone with an I in front of their name is lying to cover up their extravagant lifestyles, jet setting all over the country on $149.00 plane tickets and dinners at McDonalds.

It's going to be a knee slapper anyway when these voucher folks figure out the vouchers won't pay for books, uniforms, and school lunches. That is going to come out of pocket to the tune of a couple of grand a year per child. The haves will get help with private school tuition and the have not's will have to send their kids to underfunded public schools.

You think people are complaining now? just wait.

They want a voucher program to "get away" from the "undesirables" so there can be a "better education" for the middle class to upper class kids.

The result is that there will be an economic segregation. I'm suggesting the voucher idea is a knee-jerk answer to a complex problem, an answer that has not been thought through to its logical conclusion. I'm not saying the end result is what she is wanting, but the vouchers is the goal and the terrible result has not been thought through.

• Like 1

I never mentioned adding one thing!! I think that if we are going to build the nice parks that we have built we should have included maintaining those parks! Why build something you can't maintain? You have a few workers trying to maintain many parks and they all get run down and look horrible! Sorry I believe that David himself could do the job of Mike Jones, if you see a picture of David at something you see Mike right beside him. I just don't care for his better than thou approach! He is the one reason I considered not voting for David and I really like David but can't stand him! I say cut his position all together. I know there had to be cuts to jobs but I think you have to trim some of the fat at the top of the food chain as well, just not around the bottom where most of the laborers are at!! If they really wanted to tighten up again I think David could handle having his picture taken by himself!! Tell me one thing that Mike does that David could not do? Sure it might put a few extra things on his plate but hey I work in the private sector where when it comes down to it I am the Boss and the toilet cleaner all in the same day!! You do what you have to do and I would cut the big salary do nothings before I cut the ones really earning their pay!!

I don't think we need to add anything to this county at this time, just a little up keep on what we have!! :D

I think you might want to spend a few days with David then see if he could do both jobs. Are you on another planet about the parks? the last one to be built was under the new administration, my understanding is that they could not back out of it when they took office. Quite Frankly parks are nice but not high up there on the priority list of to have to maintain when it comes to service. Maybe we should close some of them if we can't maintain them until the economy improves.

I want to know where you are getting your first hand knowledge of who does and does not really work hard.

I think you have some nerve saying David has never had to do things like clean a toilet or break a sweat. Or even that Mike has not. You don't know what jobs they have done in the past, you are assuming. They are paid to make decisions and take responsibility for the outcome.

They are not paid to clean the toilets, they don't have to clean toilets because they have worked their way up to where they are.

You don't know what you would cut, you can get people to clean toilets and push brooms all day. People that take responsibility and make decisions are not a dime a dozen. And they don't come cheap they are invaluable to every successful company and to the taxpayer.

• Like 1

That made absolutely no sense in the context of what I answered you with.

I looked back over some reports and press releases I saved.

Simmons Engineering: 2

Interroll: 70

Top Flight Aerostructures: 6

Haddad: 10

MG International: 30

Envelope Superstore: 40

Aerodynamics, Inc.: 45

The average salary for these jobs is 47,000 per year.

• Like 1

Whatever happen to the rodeo out at Paulding Meadows? Haven't heard anything in a couple of years about it. I'm sure the county invested alot in it as electrical, paving, etc. I know a bunch of folks enjoyed it and didn't mind paying to get in the venue

One thing that I consider wasteful spending is tax money of way over a million dollars spent on County hired lawyers to hold up a law suit where the County incurred damages and the victims were willing to settle at $100,000. Yet it's still on going. That is Wasteful spending. Who's responsible for that? and who benefits?

Whatever happen to the rodeo out at Paulding Meadows? Haven't heard anything in a couple of years about it. I'm sure the county invested alot in it as electrical, paving, etc. I know a bunch of folks enjoyed it and didn't mind paying to get in the venue

That was not county run. It was a personal company venture and lost money the last year or so of operation.

We cut 70 government jobs and added 200 private sector jobs. We cut the budget, we kept taxes low. That is conservatism in it's purest form.

Facts...do we really know them ? MGI. fact...they bring Japanese in from Japan for jobs in Engineer . Fact they work a lot of temp jobs filled with people outside this county and a lot that should not be in the US. So that makes me wonder about all those other jobs and just how many will help Paulding people.

]

When government earmarks money it can not be spent on anything else. The original idea of this was to appropriate funds for needed projects and not allow them to be diverted to pet projects as politicians came and went.

The city of Dallas did not create that, and that money could never be used for anything else if it sat there a 100 years.

So help me understand....The Government earmarked the money for that fountain in the square???? Just asking.

Good morning. I'm Jamie Gilbert, the Executive Director of Paulding County Economic Development. LPPT emailed me this morning regarding the discussion she was having on economic development and new jobs. Every one of the announced jobs was determined by the company as part of their plans for expansion or move to Paulding County. The jobs are to be added either immediately or within a two to three year window based on whether new construction is needed or a ramp up in employment. I have personally visited and walked through the faciliies of every company Laurie listed with the exception of ADI. I even visited Haddad's in Pittsburgh to see their home operation and the types of employees that work for them. As some would say these businesses all have blue collar workers with "collases on the their hands".

I would like to adderess the types of jobs at these companies and what they bring to Paulding. The majority are production line jobs such as Interroll, MGI, Simmons Engineering and Envelope Superstore. Others such as Top Flight Aerostructurers are engineering jobs that will be held by locals not someone from another country. Others such as Haddad and ADI will be mostly mechanics. As I mentioned I have personally walked the floor of every company expanding or locating to Paulding because it is essential to verify the legitimacy of each company and who we are working with. I see at these businesses blue collar individuals, working to raise their families and busting their butts. I see on Paulding.com there is one poster questioning MGI because they hire Japanese workers. I have seen several Japanese individuals at their facility but they are executives. If you walk through their plant you will see people of different genders and races men. working extremely hard. It is an insult to degrade this company that employs so many people in our county. I have discussed with MGI their past situation with hiring of workers from staffing agenices and in order for them to qualify for the opportunity zone job tax credits that are available MGI will have to hire permanent worker with the company not staffing agency workers so that is a non issue. As LPPT noted the salaries for these new jobs have all been confirmed by the company and will average $47,000. Everyone of these companies talks about the 76% of the residents that leave this county and how those individuals will be the ones targeted for most of the new jobs being created.

Lastly Paulding County Economic Development works seven days a week to bring new jobs to Paulding County. My days are usually 12 hours and I never get weekends free for the most part because I'm always working to help make Paulding an even better place. That is just how I am and truly believe in what we are doing. There is much talk about helping small businesses and we are doing just that. I can't think of any better incentive than our new opporutnity zone which applies to two or more new jobs or our small economic development grant program or I created as a line item in my budget to help companies expand. Mostly all of the new and expanding businesses we have had the last ten months are considered small companies, Interroll being the exception. Also, they are mostly family owned companies something Paulding should be proud of as well. Paudling County Economic Development is not county, city, chamber or IBA. We work with all of those groups but our mission is to help make Paulding an even better community by creating employment opportunities for our residents.

Feel free to call me anytime at 770-726-7000 or stop by my office at 166 Confederate Avenue if you have any questions about economic development in Paulding.

Jamie Gilbert

Executive Director

Paulding County Economic Development, Inc.

Edited by Jamie Gilbert
  • Like 2

Not at all what I want....but good try.

I want students to be educated and if a CD is cheaper than a textbook (which I know it is) then GIVE THEM A CD.....

Good morning. I'm Jamie Gilbert, the Executive Director of Paulding County Economic Development. LPPT emailed me this morning regarding the discussion she was having on economic development and new jobs. Every one of the announced jobs was determined by the company as part of their plans for expansion or move to Paulding County. The jobs are to be added either immediately or within a two to three year window based on whether new construction is needed or a ramp up in employment. I have personally visited and walked through the faciliies of every company Laurie listed with the exception of ADI. I even visited Haddad's in Pittsburgh to see their home operation and the types of employees that work for them. As some would say these businesses all have blue collar workers with "collases on the their hands".

I would like to adderess the types of jobs at these companies and what they bring to Paulding. The majority are production line jobs such as Interroll, MGI, Simmons Engineering and Envelope Superstore. Others such as Top Flight Aerostructurers are engineering jobs that will be held by locals not someone from another country. Others such as Haddad and ADI will be mostly mechanics. As I mentioned I have personally walked the floor of every company expanding or locating to Paulding because it is essential to verify the legitimacy of each company and who we are working with. I see at these businesses blue collar individuals, working to raise their families and busting their butts. I see on Paulding.com there is one poster questioning MGI because they hire Japanese workers. I have seen several Japanese individuals at their facility but they are executives. If you walk through their plant you will see people of different genders and races men. working extremely hard. It is an insult to degrade this company that employs so many people in our county. I have discussed with MGI their past situation with hiring of workers from staffing agenices and in order for them to qualify for the opportunity zone job tax credits that are available MGI will have to hire permanent worker with the company not staffing agency workers so that is a non issue. As LPPT noted the salaries for these new jobs have all been confirmed by the company and will average $47,000. Everyone of these companies talks about the 76% of the residents that leave this county and how those individuals will be the ones targeted for most of the new jobs being created.

Lastly Paulding County Economic Development works seven days a week to bring new jobs to Paulding County. My days are usually 12 hours and I never get weekends free for the most part because I'm always working to help make Paulding an even better place. That is just how I am and truly believe in what we are doing. There is much talk about helping small businesses and we are doing just that. I can't think of any better incentive than our new opporutnity zone which applies to two or more new jobs or our small economic development grant program or I created as a line item in my budget to help companies expand. Mostly all of the new and expanding businesses we have had the last ten months are considered small companies, Interroll being the exception. Also, they are mostly family owned companies something Paulding should be proud of as well. Paudling County Economic Development is not county, city, chamber or IBA. We work with all of those groups but our mission is to help make Paulding an even better community by creating employment opportunities for our residents.

Feel free to call me anytime at 770-726-7000 or stop by my office at 166 Confederate Avenue if you have any questions about economic development in Paulding.

Jamie Gilbert

Executive Director

Thank you for your reply.

You have cleared something up for me.

The jobs that LPPT mentioned have not ACTUALLY been issued as of yet,

The jobs are YET TO COME....very similar to Obamas SHOVEL READY JOBS in my opinion.

Just wait for it and it will come.......Not gonna hold my breath sparky.

Edited by mysterious

Jamie Gilbert

Executive Director

<_>

• Like 1

Phil Gingrey was quick to hand Paulding County that check but voted against the spending. Why didn't he and Paulding just refuse the money if they felt that strongly about the spending?

Also, stimulus money is an effective tool to "prime the pump" of the economy. Everyone who has taken high school economics understands that concept.

Textbooks are very, very, VERY expensive. It is much cheaper to have a classroom set and the CD for the students to use since nearly all students have access to a computer. For what we pay for books, we can keep classroom teachers employed and buses running.

I don't think there has ever been anyone in the history of my life that I have disagreed with more. Obviously you missed some college econ classes if you believe that the Government spending money collected from tax payers is an effective way to "prime the pump". Let the people keep the money in the first place. It's like Nancy Pelosi saying for every dollar spent on food stamps $1.79 is put back into the economy. Well then Nancy, why not give EVERYONE food stamp money, then we would all be millionaires.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

― Alexis de Tocqueville

Thank you for your reply.

You have cleared something up for me.

The jobs that LPPT mentioned have not ACTUALLY been issued as of yet,

The jobs are YET TO COME....very similar to Obamas SHOVEL READY JOBS in my opinion.

Just wait for it and it will come.......Not gonna hold my breath sparky.

Building industrial buildings is not like building a Popeyes chicken on the corner.

These projects are never announced to the press until every I is dotted and every T crossed. Quite honestly had he listed a 1/2 dozen retail businesses paying minimum wage you would do the little clappy, instead comparing this to Obama.

These are private sector jobs, you do understand the difference right?

Just the building of these will help the local economy then the jobs that follow.

Did you not see any jobs on the list you qualify for?

Jamie Gilbert

Executive Director

Thank you for your comments. I for one am thankful for your efforts. It is a breathe of fresh air to hear of new jobs coming to our community.

Just 4 years ago many of us were upset with Jerry Shearin and his team putting all of their efforts into developing PRD's (Planned Residential Developments). I remember a scolding we all took from Jerry "Just what is so wrong with PRD's?"

Please continue in the direction you are moving, our children and grand children will be blessed by your efforts and actions.

Also please continue to report the wins. Your reports will go far to help heal us whom were previously poisoned by the previous administrations lies and false reports.

• Like 1

So help me understand....The Government earmarked the money for that fountain in the square???? Just asking.

I don't think that they are that specific, but it is a general type of spending. I can ask Boyd more about it. The money is on a shelf for those shopping for it.

They only pay for certain types of projects the money is never returned to general funds if it sits there 50 years. We didn't make the laws about it the feds did.

I don't think that they are that specific, but it is a general type of spending. I can ask Boyd more about it. The money is on a shelf for those shopping for it.

They only pay for certain types of projects the money is never returned to general funds if it sits there 50 years. We didn't make the laws about it the feds did.

I know with the city of Hiram there were stipulations on how the money had to be spent, not specific to the project, but general guidelines. But that was SPLOST money, I assume it's the same with the stimulus money