Paulding.com

What should folks in business say about themselves to increase confidence

There is another topic that raises the question of what folks should know about others before doing business with them.

For instance, most folks are pretty comfortable doing business with the Hardy Winning Dealerships because they've known Charles Hardy or of him for 30 years in that business and of course, he's born and bred Paulding.

But someone new on the scene?

How do folks get to know them well enough to feel comfortable doing business with a 'newbie' ...

pubby

Not sure about newbies. It depends on how much money I am planning on spending. If we are talking about extensive work for the house/vehicles, etc ... 1) we go by referrals ... then 2) get comparison quotes and 3) check with the BBB.

Small peanuts ... trial and error I suppose. :unknw:

The topic that raises this question is this topic ... which was one of those in which the line protecting CM's and the protection of the community involves a transaction involving a home.

It was raised in the topic but I would prefer it be raised outside of the CM's topic.

pubby

I also need to add something else here ... I am often asked if I know of someone on pcom who does this or that (by close friends or my MIL). I'll refer her to a CM that I know on pcom as opposed to opening up the yellow pages.

The topic that raises this question is this topic ... which was one of those in which the line protecting CM's and the protection of the community involves a transaction involving a home.

It was raised in the topic but I would prefer it be raised outside of the CM's topic.

pubby

While my confusion on this matter knows no bounds, it's all too apparent that my CM from my Subby account knows few bounds either.

Bonded, licensed and insured is a big plus to me...

Small Hijack

For all of you businesses out there... I can help with that!! :)

End of Hijack

If you are having work done to your home, this is a must. You should ask for all three, particularly if it is a home improvement project. If they are bonded/insured, you are protected if someone is injured, if something is stolen from you, and if they damage any of your property. They are responsible anyway, but if they don't have these things in place, then they probably don't have assets to go after. The license at least means that they care enough to go through the hassle of applying. They sometimes mean that they are qualified, but some licenses are only administrative.

On top of this, and for any other work, referrals would be a must. I've been hosed by taking someone at their word, and it isn't pleasant. Actually check the reference.

I think the most important thing they can do is get involved with the community. They can participate in community and school fundraisers.

Here are some ideas:

1. It really isn't that expensive to have a couple hundred large cups printed with a logo. Then the business can donate the cups to schools to use at the concession stands.

2. High School basket ball games could have a season long half court contest. The team could charge a dollar a shot for the participants and whomever has the most half court baskets at the end of the season could win a plasma TV. The school keeps all the fees. The business gets their name announced everytime an attempt is made.

3. Allow their location to be a drop off for donations.

One idea I always thought would be great advertisement for PCom is a public mayberry. Let's say Rodney's has a new special one Friday night. Pubby could walk in (unannounced) and shout, "Raise your hand if you are a PCommer!" Eveyone there could get a mayberry! Those who aren't members would certainly be curious and could get information by reading PCom's card that has been strategically placed with the bill. Not only does PCom get exposure but the commerce member gets acknowledgement the next day. PCommers might be more inclined to visit the commerce members especially if Pubby announces he may be giving public mayberries somewhere this coming _________.

Small Hijack

End of Hijack

If you are having work done to your home, this is a must. You should ask for all three, particularly if it is a home improvement project. If they are bonded/insured, you are protected if someone is injured, if something is stolen from you, and if they damage any of your property. They are responsible anyway, but if they don't have these things in place, then they probably don't have assets to go after. The license at least means that they care enough to go through the hassle of applying. They sometimes mean that they are qualified, but some licenses are only administrative.

On top of this, and for any other work, referrals would be a must. I've been hosed by taking someone at their word, and it isn't pleasant. Actually check the reference.

To add to this particular post, I suggest to people hiring anyone to work on their home who states they are insured to request a "Certificate of Insurance" from that business. In my experience it is quite easy to get the agent to fax or mail a certificate to a homeowner to prove that the insurance is indeed in place.

Regarding the original post by Pubby, one suggestion is to have a good website. It can't be just fluff...I want to see real photos of whatever it is you offer and they should be an accurate reflection of the product or service. When I'm researching a particular company for any purchase I always Google them. Make sure you have a presence on the internet. On another front, coupons or discount codes are great to get people in the door. That's another thing I Google before any semi-big purchase: "discount coupon code for xyzbusiness". It may take going through 10-15 coupon sites but I often find something for a % off or free shipping.

dunno. that's a hard one.

it's hard for me to take some of the businesses that advertise here very seriously. for a hundred and fifty bucks, you're in.

and you're protected. not much of an investment, and nothing to lose.

but hey, if i'm looking at spending a couple hundred or less, i'll use the cheap guy from p.com with low overhead and we'll both come out winners.

however, if i were looking at a major purchase or repair, you bet your butt i'd be using someone with yellow pages ad, a website, an actual business location, who is licensed, bonded, insured, and has been in business for more than 3 years.

not someone who plays on the internet all day and pays 150.00 to run a side job.

References, references, references. Insurance, insurance, insurance. License, license, license. What exactly does bonded mean?? You can be bonded for a certain $ amount, but if claims against your company exceed that bond, it is useless. Bonding is not a priority for me because it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. A $50,000 bond isn't gonna help your leaking roof and the damage it can cause if your roofer installed 10 roofs that leaked this year. ;)

Addressing the yellow page thing that NC-17 referenced, more and more businesses are moving away from AT&T that publish the "real yellow pages". If your service is not with AT& T you cannot buy a yellow page ad.

We don't do work for the general population but as a business owner, I have no problem providing copies of my business license, my insurance information or references. :)

What we communicate to our customers is the fact that we are a member of the professional organization (Georgia Bridal Association). To be a member in good standing, we must conduct ourselves ethically and honestly in all of our business matters. We must also conduct ourselves in a way that brings credit to the profession and display extraordinary competence with regard to customer advocacy.

That's what we say. Here's what we do.

We'll help you out however we can. Not too long ago, some people were looking for wedding and reception venues. I was able to put together a list, in just a few minutes, of fifty (or so) venues and links to their websites. If I can't provide something for you, I'll help you find what you need. That's what good neighbors do.

We have a great track record. Just ask anyone who has done business with us!

Our pricing is straightforward and honest. That's why, for tux rentals, it's "all-inclusive pricing". You KNOW what you're going to be paying. There are no hidden charges, no junk fees.

King Tux Rentals, Inc. is licensed to sell and rent men's tuxedos, suits and accessories. Our address is on our website http://www.kingtuxrentals.com as well as directions on how to get here. We stand by our products and our services with a guarantee of satisfaction.

My name is Tom and anyone can call me any time on my cell phone. The number is (404) 431-7094

Many of you know me as a good neighbor with a growing business based on "the best product, at the best price, while giving the best service"

I hope that you all will consider King Tux when you have a need for suits, tuxes, or accessories.

There is another topic that raises the question of what folks should know about others before doing business with them.

For instance, most folks are pretty comfortable doing business with the Hardy Winning Dealerships because they've known Charles Hardy or of him for 30 years in that business and of course, he's born and bred Paulding.

How do folks get to know them well enough to feel comfortable doing business with a 'newbie' ...

pubby

Geeze, hard question to answer. For the ones that have been around, we have the BBB.

Small Hijack

End of Hijack

Having been an insurance salesperson also; I would go a step further and CALL the insurance company listed on the info they provide, and ask if its still active.

I've had, unfortunately, plenty of people call our agency where I was, needing to file a claim, only to find out it was a canceled policy.

That piece of paper may look valid to you, but means nothing if you don't call and verify.

pubby

While my confusion on this matter knows no bounds, it's all too apparent that my CM from my Subby account knows few bounds either.

I'll have what they're having!

:lol:

Most important is the business license, bonded, and VALID insurance.

I won't do business with who work out of their backyard for car type repairs and tree removal or anything major like that. But if it's just to get my lawn mower fixed... I will...

I just have a problem with the 'what if's'? If my car falls off of a lift.....will your insurance cover it. Most homeowners insurnce won't. If my tire comes off going down the road while you are test driving it...do you have the proper insurance to cover my vehicle if something happens?

Just like I won't use a builder who has never built a house or only done small renovations on my house.

So for major stuff that I need done.... I use pro's.

Most important is the business license, bonded, and VALID insurance.

I won't do business with who work out of their backyard for car type repairs and tree removal or anything major like that. But if it's just to get my lawn mower fixed... I will...

I just have a problem with the 'what if's'? If my car falls off of a lift.....will your insurance cover it. Most homeowners insurnce won't. If my tire comes off going down the road while you are test driving it...do you have the proper insurance to cover my vehicle if something happens?

Just like I won't use a builder who has never built a house or only done small renovations on my house.

So for major stuff that I need done.... I use pro's.

Seriously there are many good new guys out there, I used someone referenced here to enclose my porch.............great job. The recommendation came from someone I trust very much. Just be careful with that bonding thing, it sounds good but really might not be. The more work they do, the less impact that bond my have on a project.

Seriously there are many good new guys out there, I used someone referenced here to enclose my porch.............great job. The recommendation came from someone I trust very much. Just be careful with that bonding thing, it sounds good but really might not be. The more work they do, the less impact that bond my have on a project.

PM me with the name, please - my wife wants our patio enclosed.

I always consider pcom CM first. I like to see if someone can give me recommendations, and I also look at the CM actions on the board.

some may not but I do. if you are a CM who likes to start trouble, or likes to make it hard on other CM then I will not use you, I do not won't someone at my home working that had a knock down drag out with some one else on here or made their life a nightmare by their actions.

I will not recommend a CM unless I have used them myself. or I know of someone personally who has used them.

I always say actions speak louder then words.

Which we hardly ever have to have home repairs, car repairs, or big jobs like that, because hubby can do it all.

But I do turn to pcom CM for needs that we may have. and so far I have never been dissapointed.

I look at the CM's on here as a business, that is why I always say pcom can help you or it can hurt you.

It is up to you to decided which one pcom will do.

Community involvement, good business practice and going the extra mile, then word of mouth.

this is my hubby all the way..

He scouts (so they offer him business)

He doesn't advertise-his customers do it for him...

Any mechanic will tell you-heck anyone in the car business will tell you that an honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold and then some...

And for the good customers my hubby will leave the dinner table or bed to go fix it....

Most of our business is referrals. We do some advertising but ultimately it is people who use us telling others. If you do not do your customers solid it comes back to bite you. You as the business owner are responsible for making the consumer feel comfortable. I know for us customers don't like surprises as far as what the repair cost will be. We let everyone know up front the costs before any repairs are done and if they are not comfortable with our price or they don't have the means right now then they can pick up their car and there will be no charge. We never want a customer to leave our shop feeling unsatisfied and we go to great lengths to please all even those no matter what you do will never be happy. I think having a rating system for cm members would be fine though like anything else there will be flaws as each persons experience with a business is very subjective. I think it is different for cm members that provide a service the customer pays up front yet they don't receive the product. I feel like all people should investigate the business they plan on using but usually recommendations are the highest flattery you can get and even then there are no guarantees. If someone came on this site and bashed my business I would be furious if that was the one person out of 100's that you cannot please no matter what you do. I think this forum is great if someones asks who they should use and many give their thoughts and their experiences but to allow anyone to say something negative is another story. There are two sides to every story and if some one was to say negative things then I should be informed of that so I can give my take on what had occurred then the consumers can have what both parties feel are the facts and then they can make a intelligent decision if this is a business they want to do business with or not. I should also add that we do sponser school sports and such and have worked very hard to be part of our community and to give back to our community that has been very good to us. We would like to thank you for that. Just my opinnion.. Frann

As a business in our second year, this is vitally important to us. What I have found is that community involvement is a big plus, but what also helps is follow through. What I mean by follow through is that so many businesses make promises in their advertisements, but when you get there...it is not what you were expecting, also known as bait and switch. We have tried very hard to do exactly as we say. We have found that our clients appreciate our straight foward business practices and our community involvement. These practices have led to alot of word of mouth advertising from our clients that we greatly appreciate.

It depends. Are we talking a new clothing boutique or a service related industry (like a mechanic, home improvements).

If it's a service industry,

1. Someone must recommend them to me. If you're new and there isn't anyone to recommend you, you should start volunteering your services to local agencies to help get your name out there (as a business and as an active community volunteer).

2. They must have an equal (or better) price than their established competitors.

3. They must treat their customers with honesty and integrity -- the first time I feel like I'm being fed a line, I'm out.

pubby

As for me, the answer has always been to be polite, and BE YOURSELF. Also treat folks like you would want to be treated, always being fair and honest. It's worked for me, but then again, I don't do that for the business, I just do that because that's the way I was always raised to be towards people. :)

I've only lived here for about 6-7 years, but I feel like I've been here all my life. And I LOVE the people I come into contact with around here. Shoot, half of them moved over here just like me, from Cobb County.....so I aint that much of a stranger 'round these parts anymore. ;)

Just wanted to add that GOOD BUSINESS and being FAIR with people works wonders. I used to get ALL of my business from advertising here. But now, I would say about 30% of it is coming from word of mouth. You do people right and they tell their friends, and so on. (Not to worry Pubster....I plan on keeping my commerce membership!!) :lol:

We are a Family owned & operated Business for 12yrs now, Licensed/Insured/Warrantys in place.

First of all we talk to our customers about the products (3M) that will be used on their vechiles and the process and the benefits and results they will see afterwards.Majority of our customers are repeat and they themselves spread the word for us , so there's no need to do alot of adversting, there is on site a list of referals and pictures for that purpose. We take pride in our work and always stand behind it, if problem does arrive we are here to take care of it, and as always there's a few out there you cant make happy no matter what you do. Every customer is treated the same.It's always been about taking care of the customer and their needs,we may give a ballpark price over the phone be until we see the vechile, once its here we can tell you the cost right then, There is an old saying out there and its everybody's dirt is different,and thats why we dont judge a vechile until we lay eyes and hands on it.

We do everyday vechiles and we also attend to Street Rods/Boats/Bikes/RV's.

We also offer Auto Window Tinting/Residental/Commerical.

We have donated Funds & Certificates to many Charitys,and hope to do more.

I have been a member here for some time, and had a commerce membership for another business. That business never took off here in GA. After a hiatus from REI, I decided to get back into real estate investment. That is how I came to be a new CM here on Pcom.

In the past, anytime I needed something for the house, I asked here on Pcom. Some were members here, some werent. I always try to use Commerce Members first but sometimes that doesnt work out.

Not sure what I can do to build a positive rep except try to make some deals and maybe get some referalls. Of course, I don't see many people coming here and saying " I was facing forclosure and LJK bought my house". Theres not really any licenses we can apply for, nor do we really need insurance. Of course we insure properties.

I suggest when making a major purchase or transaction, you call a few different people, and talk to them. Feel them out, their experience, knowledge, etc.

I had an AC installed in a house recently. I called 3-4 companies for a quote. 3 showed up. One I could never get on the phone afterwards for the quote. He would leave me a voicemail, then I would call him back. IMO he should have tried back multiple times instead of waiting for me to call him. Anyways 3-4 back and forths, I gave up. If he wanted the job, he would have called back. 2nd guy, not very clear on scope and what exactly was going to be done and price (we needed additional intakes and exhausts) 3rd guy was more, but showed on time for estimate, gave me clear details on what was going to be done, how much, and how long. He got the job

dunno. that's a hard one.

it's hard for me to take some of the businesses that advertise here very seriously. for a hundred and fifty bucks, you're in.

and you're protected. not much of an investment, and nothing to lose.

but hey, if i'm looking at spending a couple hundred or less, i'll use the cheap guy from p.com with low overhead and we'll both come out winners.

however, if i were looking at a major purchase or repair, you bet your butt i'd be using someone with yellow pages ad, a website, an actual business location, who is licensed, bonded, insured, and has been in business for more than 3 years.

not someone who plays on the internet all day and pays 150.00 to run a side job.

You hit the nail on the head there!

It also amazes me that a CM will use THAT membership to post personal replies. I can tell you that there are more businesses that I will not use than I would use based on their personal opinions.

Then again maybe that's a good thing. Go ahead, post away so I can make a more informed decision with whom I should spend my money.

You hit the nail on the head there!

It also amazes me that a CM will use THAT membership to post personal replies. I can tell you that there are more businesses that I will not use than I would use based on their personal opinions.

Then again maybe that's a good thing. Go ahead, post away so I can make a more informed decision with whom I should spend my money.

I sometimes post personal stuff while under my CM name, and I guess that could affect my business. It's not really intentional though. I just use my CM so much since I got it, that I forget about my regular name (it's just habit), however, Subby vs. Subby Enterprises....aint no real way to hide, when it comes down to it. But, then I have no reason to hide. And I have opinions like everyone else, and I aint ashamed of them. That's just me. I am who I am, and a good bunch of people know me on here anyway. I certainly hope it's not a problem with anyone, but you know what they say- you can't please everyone. ;)

I tend to stick with people who run a business like a business and not a hobby. The more money I am going to have to spend the more I will check the COMPANY out. I will call people I know and trust first to ask who they use and if I have to look in the yellow pages I check everywhere possible for all the info I can get. I am sorry to say but just because someone is a CM on here is NOT a reason for me to think they are good. I have learned the hard way NOT to blindly trust. I check with people who have used someone here first and then rethink it again before I try them and ONLY if the cost is not much. I tend to go more with COMPANIES, INC. that have been around and can be backed up. A CM here can and have turned me off with how they handle themselves here. I am sorry to say that how much a company does for the community does not affect how good a job they do so that does not come into play for me at all. Anyone telling me to use someone that stands to gain anything from me doing so will not sway me in the lest... be it they collect 150 or more for someone being a CM or a family member.

I tend to stick with people who run a business like a business and not a hobby. The more money I am going to have to spend the more I will check the COMPANY out. I will call people I know and trust first to ask who they use and if I have to look in the yellow pages I check everywhere possible for all the info I can get. I am sorry to say but just because someone is a CM on here is NOT a reason for me to think they are good. I have learned the hard way NOT to blindly trust. I check with people who have used someone here first and then rethink it again before I try them and ONLY if the cost is not much. I tend to go more with COMPANIES, INC. that have been around and can be backed up. A CM here can and have turned me off with how they handle themselves here. I am sorry to say that how much a company does for the community does not affect how good a job they do so that does not come into play for me at all. Anyone telling me to use someone that stands to gain anything from me doing so will not sway me in the lest... be it they collect 150 or more for someone being a CM or a family member.

You make a good point! That's why I like to get good plugs from people I have done work for. At least that gives folks SOME sort of idea of what kind of service you can expect. Also, the ones with less overhead can offer the same (if not better) service than a bigger company for a lot less money. And just for the record- while I was a civil engineer for 25 years, I have ALWAYS fixed mowers, dirt bikes, pretty much anything that runs on gas and is smaller than an automobile ever since I was about 10 years old. I used to rebuild my carb and change out piston rings, the whole nine yards on my race bikes when I only 12 years old. So, I would say my experience is way up there. I am 44 now, so when you do the math, that's a lot of years of doing that. Maybe I didn't do it for a living (engineering pays a lot more) but I've still spent plenty of weekend and evenings fixing my own stuff, and family and friends equipment ever since I can remember. I consider myself lucky to have something like this to turn to, after my career in S/D design fell into the crapper. I am small-time, but anyone who ever needed something fixed that I may have not got right the first time- they'll tell you I don't charge them ONE single nickel to straighten the problem out, pronto. (I just wish more of these people would come to my rescue after having said that!) :lol:

You make a good point! That's why I like to get good plugs from people I have done work for. At least that gives folks SOME sort of idea of what kind of service you can expect. Also, the ones with less overhead can offer the same (if not better) service than a bigger company for a lot less money. And just for the record- while I was a civil engineer for 25 years, I have ALWAYS fixed mowers, dirt bikes, pretty much anything that runs on gas and is smaller than an automobile ever since I was about 10 years old. I used to rebuild my carb and change out piston rings, the whole nine yards on my race bikes when I only 12 years old. So, I would say my experience is way up there. I am 44 now, so when you do the math, that's a lot of years of doing that. Maybe I didn't do it for a living (engineering pays a lot more) but I've still spent plenty of weekend and evenings fixing my own stuff, and family and friends equipment ever since I can remember. I consider myself lucky to have something like this to turn to, after my career in S/D design fell into the crapper. I am small-time, but anyone who ever needed something fixed that I may have not got right the first time- they'll tell you I don't charge them ONE single nickel to straighten the problem out, pronto. (I just wish more of these people would come to my rescue after having said that!) :lol:

See word of mouth will carry you through...You do a good job and others will pass the word along. :D

See word of mouth will carry you through...You do a good job and others will pass the word along. :D

Yep! :)

Subby is a perfect example of how a person who does quality work and charges reasonable fees and stands behind his work -- gets great word of mouth advertising.

Here's what I don't understand, though - why anyone would EVER go to anyone but Subby for small-engine repairs! With his stellar reputation, he should be getting every single mower reconditioning job in Metro Atlanta!!

Subby is a perfect example of how a person who does quality work and charges reasonable fees and stands behind his work -- gets great word of mouth advertising.

Here's what I don't understand, though - why anyone would EVER go to anyone but Subby for small-engine repairs! With his stellar reputation, he should be getting every single mower reconditioning job in Metro Atlanta!!

DUDE!!!! Thanks a bunch, but that really made me blush, big time!! :blush: I really appreciate your comment though. It means a lot to me. :)

pubby

One thing would be to NOT remove/hide/delete posts when someone is asking legimate questions to a business, even if it hurts. It may be hard to believe to some in "pcom land", but some "businesses" out there do not have their client's best interests in mind! Some are border line criminal. But if the pay for a commercial membership here, they may market to their hearts content without anyone being able to question their methods or motives! Just doesn't give me any faith in any paid commercial member here!

But I guess this will just get deleted like the rest?

One thing would be to NOT remove/hide/delete posts when someone is asking legimate questions to a business, even if it hurts. It may be hard to believe to some in "pcom land", but some "businesses" out there do not have their client's best interests in mind! Some are border line criminal. But if the pay for a commercial membership here, they may market to their hearts content without anyone being able to question their methods or motives! Just doesn't give me any faith in any paid commercial member here!

But I guess this will just get deleted like the rest?

Winchester:

I think you're wrong to assert that this effort is borderline 'criminal' as the acts suggested here are in no way illegal.

The rules on the site are that commerce members are allowed to make their pitch without interference as they've paid for the privilege of having a topic that is their advertisement.

This topic was started by me because this is the way concerns about these kinds of efforts are addressed.

On its face, the proposal presented appears perfectly legal.

I do think it is appropriate to recognize the risks to the person selling their home in this circumstance.

If the purchaser/investor takes over the payments, finds a renter and is able to maintain the mortgage and payments it could well work out to the advantage of all parties.

If on the other hand, the buyer/investor tries but fails to find a renter and is stuck with the payment, as the presumed owner by deed transfer with possession, the buyer/investor could instead strip the house much like criminals in the city strip a new Porsche to its unibody frame. The main difference is that as the presumed owner with a deed, the buyer/investor will claim that his actions were not 'criminal' ... but that s/he was renovating the house and removed the carpet, the CAC, the cabinets, etc. as part of a remodel that he ran out of cash to pursue. This makes it a civil action.

Of course, if that is what happens, the seller (and not the buyer-investor) would be at a disadvantage as they are the person whose name is on the original mortgage.

However, Winchester, while you may be skeptical, that doesn't give you license to confront the advertiser in a topic they start. Indeed, the license they purchase requires that I remove such direct confrontations.

Regardless, I know you do not have a crystal ball so, I know that there is no way for you to predict with a level of assurance that would protect you from being accused of defamation about what will happen, so I would caution you to be more careful with your word use.

pubby