Paulding.com

Politics and Fireworks at Taylor Farm

Was not there this year but imagine the cost would be well over $35K. I am talking about the WHOLE cost, such as contracting for fire works, police, fire, EMT, setup, cleanup, etc.

Actually, if you sharpened your pencil I would think a big event like that would be around $75k or $80k, condsidering ALL expenses and efforts

I truly hope that Paulding County DID NOT spend that kind of money on a fireworks display considering the budget crunch we are facing.

Think I saw a post that said it cost around $10,000. I do know a lot of cities and counties decided not to have them this year because they did not want to spend the money.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Say what you want. And believe it as well I guess. Sure was fun voting a Republican primary ballot, especially the last question.   Those who know me and do business with me see me as someone on the

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canop

Purely fictitious hit-piece to slander the candidates you don't support. You do more damage to Pownall, Barnett, and Avery than you help them.

Dear Friends,

Over the past 3 1/2 years, I have served as a Paulding County School Board Member and School Board Chair for the last 1 1/2 years. I have worked hard to advocate for the students of Paulding County. For fifteen years prior to being elected to school board, I volunteered, substitute taught, and served in many capacities within the Paulding County School District. Anyone that knows me or has worked with me knows my passion for education and the students of the district. I have attended many events involving students and school system employees. I have sat in the office of many Georgia state legislators speaking on behalf of our students. Two years ago, a good friend and I took bags full of tongue depressors representing visits to the school nurse and placed them on the table just outside the House of Representatives to advocate for our students and our school nurses. I am NOT a politician but someone that takes my position very seriously and attempts to vote for the best interest of our students every time. The past 3 ½ years have been incredibly difficult with phenomenal growth followed by a serious decline in our economy and hiring two new superintendents. I have attempted to make an educated vote each and every time that would be in the best interest of the students of our district.

In addition to serving on the school board, I returned to college to complete my education and graduated May 13th of this year with a Bachelor of Science in English Education. I have always dreamed of being a classroom teacher and my involvement in the Paulding County School District inspired me to earn my degree.

Finally, the deadline to qualify to run again for school board was around the time I was finishing school. I was torn about qualifying because I wanted to teach and wasn't sure I could do both and do them well. After the deadline passed and I graduated, I began to regret my decision. I couldn't imagine not sitting on the school board as an advocate for our students. I inquired about running as an Independent candidate and decided to attempt to get the signatures to be on the November ballot. The deadline for the signatures is noon July 13th and it seems that I will fall short of the required number. In addition, I accepted a teaching job offer last week. I look at this as God closing one door and opening another in my life. I will press on and make a difference in the lives of the students I encounter in the classroom.

I vow to continue doing my job well and I will bow out gracefully at the end of this year with no regrets. Should you have any questions or concerns please see the Paulding County School District website where my phone number and email address are published. I will be happy to talk with any of you.

Thanks to my friends and family for supporting me. I wish Nick Chester the best of luck if he should go on to become the District 2, Paulding County School Board Member.

Sincerely,

Kathy West

Thank you Kathy for that heartfelt explanation of your reasons for running as an Independent. I wish you the very best no matter how that turns out. Thank you for the years of service to the children of Paulding County.clapping.gif

They probably will know about it before this week is out

Why would you think that? If they don't already know the history of all candidates then they don't care enough to know.

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canopy's where all of the candidates were set up were intense at times.

One of the canopy's, most visited was that of Kathy West who was obtaining signatures to have her name placed on the ballot as an "Independent" for the school board against Nick Chester come this November's general election. It appeared that Kathy had obtained hundreds of signatures throughout the night and several of her campaign workers were working diligently through the large crowd obtaining the needed signatures to get her name placed on the ballot.

The place was abuzz with charges and counter charges from both the candidates and ordinary citizens some of the things being tossed about was about Tony Crowe who apparently was seen in the lobby of the administration building on several different occasions greeting potential early voters as they were entering the polling place which was off limits to all candidates and campaigning.WTH was he doing there?

Another hot topic of discussion centered around an alleged press release by Jason Anavitarte who is/was a member of GALEO http://www.galeo.org/friends.php Concerning the ICE program that he had proposed, Without any mention of how to fund the federal program, Which has no funding available, But the controversy over this press release did not center around the funding portion but rather around two candidates (Steve Golden and Tony Crowe)who were being accused of employing illegal immigrants with many of the conservations stating that this was indeed factual, While others stated that this was not factual, We all know of course that the Hispanic community has been seen throughout the County performing work on the new homes/ And remodeling work. A casual observation of the conversations indicates that this was a ploy by Jason, that, was nowhere to be seen at this event

The most amusing conversation I had was with a campaign worker who was wearing a Beverly Cochran T-Shirt And she was attempting to convince me that Beverly was not a part of the old guard, Even though she was the Administrative Assistant To the Board of Commissioners from 1996 to 2008 and certainly never questioned publicly the policy of those tax and spend administrations, This campaign worker may have convinced some people but I still remember the days that Beverly was the Administrative assistant, Enough said.

The Will Avery Campaign diligently worked the crowds collecting the names E-mail's, And Phone numbers of potential voters for the upcoming November general election for House District 19 race, which appears to be shaping up to be hotly contested race, The Avery campaign also provided fans, stickers, and brochures that was prevalent throughout the crowd, Overall Will Avery has proven to be a real challenge for the District 19 seat. Whose opponent wail be either Incumbent Stout, who has acknowledged an affair with his ex mother in law, That resulted in a divorce from his first wife, Or two previous School Board members (Golden and Braddock) Who appears to have never seen a tax increase that they disliked, And their records bear out this fact,

The fireworks in the sky were excellent, and the Parks and Recreation Department deserve to be commended for their efforts

The fireworks on the ground were also excellent, And it is good to see some of the details coming out on the candidates before election day, Stay tuned folks this is going to be an exciting week before the election

Things like this about Mr. Crowe make me think .Don't the candidates have to signs papers about the rules of the election . SHAME ON YOU MR. CROWE what else have you done wrong

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canopy's  where all of the candidates were set up were intense at times.

One of the canopy's, most visited was that of Kathy West who was obtaining signatures to have her name placed on the ballot as an "Independent" for the school board against Nick Chester come this November's general election. It appeared that Kathy had obtained hundreds of signatures throughout the night and several of her campaign workers were working diligently through the large crowd obtaining the needed signatures to get her name placed on the ballot.

The place was abuzz with charges and counter charges from both the candidates and ordinary citizens some of the things being tossed about was about Tony Crowe who apparently was seen in the lobby of the administration building on several different occasions greeting potential early voters as they were entering the polling place which was off limits to all candidates and campaigning.WTH was he doing there?

Another hot topic of discussion centered around an alleged press release by Jason Anavitarte who is/was a member of GALEO  http://www.galeo.org/friends.php Concerning the ICE program that he had proposed, Without  any mention of how to fund the federal program, Which has no funding available, But the controversy over this press release did not center around the funding portion but rather around two candidates (Steve Golden and Tony Crowe)who were being accused of employing illegal immigrants with many of the conservations stating  that this was indeed factual, While others stated that this was not factual, We all know of course that the Hispanic community has been seen throughout the County performing work on the new homes/ And remodeling work. A casual observation of the conversations indicates that this was a ploy by Jason, that, was nowhere to be seen at this event

The most amusing conversation I had was with a campaign worker who was wearing a Beverly Cochran T-Shirt And she was attempting to convince me that Beverly was not a part of the old guard, Even though she was the Administrative Assistant To the Board of Commissioners from 1996 to 2008 and certainly never questioned publicly the policy of those tax and spend administrations, This campaign worker may have convinced some people but I still remember the days that Beverly was the Administrative assistant, Enough said.

The Will Avery Campaign diligently worked the crowds collecting the names E-mail's, And Phone numbers of potential voters for the upcoming November general election for House District 19 race, which appears to be shaping up to be hotly contested race, The Avery campaign also provided fans, stickers, and brochures that was prevalent throughout the crowd, Overall Will Avery has proven to be a real challenge for the District 19 seat. Whose opponent wail be either Incumbent Stout, who has acknowledged an affair with his ex mother in law, That resulted in a divorce from his first wife, Or two previous School Board members (Golden and Braddock) Who appears to have never seen a tax increase that they disliked, And their records bear out this fact,

The fireworks in the sky were excellent, and the Parks and Recreation Department deserve to be commended for their efforts

The fireworks on the ground were also excellent, And it is good to see some of the details coming out on the candidates before election day, Stay tuned folks this is going to be an exciting week before the election

Purely fictitious hit-piece to slander the candidates you don't support. You do more damage to Pownall, Barnett, and Avery than you help them.

• Like 2

Dear Friends,

Over the past 3 1/2 years, I have served as a Paulding County School Board Member and School Board Chair for the last 1 1/2 years. I have worked hard to advocate for the students of Paulding County. For fifteen years prior to being elected to school board, I volunteered, substitute taught, and served in many capacities within the Paulding County School District. Anyone that knows me or has worked with me knows my passion for education and the students of the district. I have attended many events involving students and school system employees. I have sat in the office of many Georgia state legislators speaking on behalf of our students. Two years ago, a good friend and I took bags full of tongue depressors representing visits to the school nurse and placed them on the table just outside the House of Representatives to advocate for our students and our school nurses. I am NOT a politician but someone that takes my position very seriously and attempts to vote for the best interest of our students every time. The past 3 ½ years have been incredibly difficult with phenomenal growth followed by a serious decline in our economy and hiring two new superintendents. I have attempted to make an educated vote each and every time that would be in the best interest of the students of our district.

In addition to serving on the school board, I returned to college to complete my education and graduated May 13th of this year with a Bachelor of Science in English Education. I have always dreamed of being a classroom teacher and my involvement in the Paulding County School District inspired me to earn my degree.

Finally, the deadline to qualify to run again for school board was around the time I was finishing school. I was torn about qualifying because I wanted to teach and wasn’t sure I could do both and do them well. After the deadline passed and I graduated, I began to regret my decision. I couldn’t imagine not sitting on the school board as an advocate for our students. I inquired about running as an Independent candidate and decided to attempt to get the signatures to be on the November ballot. The deadline for the signatures is noon July 13th and it seems that I will fall short of the required number. In addition, I accepted a teaching job offer last week. I look at this as God closing one door and opening another in my life. I will press on and make a difference in the lives of the students I encounter in the classroom.

I vow to continue doing my job well and I will bow out gracefully at the end of this year with no regrets. Should you have any questions or concerns please see the Paulding County School District website where my phone number and email address are published. I will be happy to talk with any of you.

Thanks to my friends and family for supporting me. I wish Nick Chester the best of luck if he should go on to become the District 2, Paulding County School Board Member.

Sincerely,

Kathy West

:clapping:

BTW Have you had the opportunity to ask Golden if he has used any illegal immigrants on all of those homes he is/has built?

My inquiry was answered and Mr. Golden says he has strong feelings about this issue and would not put any legal worker out of work by employing illegals. I believe him

and will take his word over any cheap shot rumor to hurt him in this race. If he employs Hispanics then I believe that they are legal citizens.

My inquiry was answered and Mr. Golden says he has strong feelings about this issue and would not put any legal worker out of work by employing illegals. I believe him

and will take his word over any cheap shot rumor to hurt him in this race. If he employs Hispanics then I believe that they are legal citizens.

I love how when people see Hispanics working, they auto-assume illegal.

The word IMMIGRANT does NOT always have to have the word ILLEGAL in front of it!

The word IMMIGRANT does NOT always have to have the word ILLEGAL in front of it!

You are right. I am all for legal immigration and those who come here legally or who become citizens deserve to compete for jobs too. I don't know that Mr. Golden employs

folks of Hispanic descent but I am assuming that this may be where the Rumor may have originated. Who knows, there may not have been any basis for it at all. May have been an out and out lie!dry.gif

I truly hope that Paulding County DID NOT spend that kind of money on a fireworks display considering the budget crunch we are facing.

Think I saw a post that said it cost around $10,000. I do know a lot of cities and counties decided not to have them this year because they did not want to spend the money.

Which to me would have shown that the people spending our money were really thinking about the people.

It seems unfair to argue that the School Board or County supported tax increases simply because revenue increased while the millage rate remained the same, which was caused by increased property values. It would be equally absurd for the County or School Board to take credit for a tax cut if they raised the millage rate but the value of property declined more than increased millage rate.

I have never heard a politician take credit for a tax cut under such a scenario, although some have recently justified raising the millage rate by arguing that the net effect did not increase taxes because values decreased. Likewise, simply because the cost of milk, bread, coffee, or gas increased while the sales tax on those items remained the same does not mean that the State or County supported tax increases. It is true that revenue may increase or decrease when a tax is based on the value of a item, but that does not constitute a tax increase or tax cut.

As for the use of illegal workers, it cuts both ways. It is hypocritical for a homeowner to argue that contractors should not use illegal workers to build homes while that homeowner knowingly takes advantage of the lower cost and reaps the benefits. For those who are attacking candidates who may have used an illegal worker, have you ever hired a contractor with a suspicion that an illegal worker may have been used?

It seems unfair to argue that the School Board or County supported tax increases simply because revenue increased while the millage rate remained the same, which was caused by increased property values. It would be equally absurd for the County or School Board to take credit for a tax cut if they raised the millage rate but the value of property declined more than increased millage rate.

I have never heard a politician take credit for a tax cut under such a scenario, although some have recently justified raising the millage rate by arguing that the net effect did not increase taxes because values decreased. Likewise, simply because the cost of milk, bread, coffee, or gas increased while the sales tax on those items remained the same does not mean that the State or County supported tax increases. It is true that revenue may increase or decrease when a tax is based on the value of a item, but that does not constitute a tax increase or tax cut.

On your first paragraph, I have to disagree predicated on what your net tax bill was for one year over the previous. If the tax bill was higher than last year, then you had a tax increase even though the millage rate remained constant.

On your 2nd paragraph where I bolded your statement, you need to go and review the BOC meetings from July/August during King Jerry's reign of tax increases. The BOC would do a tiny millage rollback every year, and pat each other on the backs for reducing the taxes. But, when you got your tax bill it had a substantial increase over the previous year.

King Jerry also built an assessment department which was charged with doing annual re-assessments, instead of every 3 years like many of our surrounding counties. That would allow a static number of houses to still provide a substantial assessment increase, in turn increasing the amount of taxes owed,

By NOT doing a millage roll back when the assessments have increased over the previous year, we were indeed given a tax increase. Bottom line is simply what your tax bill was, and if it was more than the previous year.

On your first paragraph, I have to disagree predicated on what your net tax bill was for one year over the previous. If the tax bill was higher than last year, then you had a tax increase even though the millage rate remained constant.

On your 2nd paragraph where I bolded your statement, you need to go and review the BOC meetings from July/August during King Jerry's reign of tax increases. The BOC would do a tiny millage rollback every year, and pat each other on the backs for reducing the taxes. But, when you got your tax bill it had a substantial increase over the previous year.

King Jerry also built an assessment department which was charged with doing annual re-assessments, instead of every 3 years like many of our surrounding counties. That would allow a static number of houses to still provide a substantial assessment increase, in turn increasing the amount of taxes owed,

By NOT doing a millage roll back when the assessments have increased over the previous year, we were indeed given a tax increase. Bottom line is simply what your tax bill was, and if it was more than the previous year.

I thought people WANTED their property values to increase? An increase in property values means an increase in taxes, even if the millage rate stays the same. This is a classic example of having your cake and eating it too.

Taxes that are based on a % of value, rather than a flat amount, run the risk of fluctuation.

Based on your statements, the current administration can claim tax breaks because values have decreased so significantly. Each administration would be a the mercy of the housing market, which is something they don't collectively have much control over.

As for the use of illegal workers, it cuts both ways. It is hypocritical for a homeowner to argue that contractors should not use illegal workers to build homes while that homeowner knowingly takes advantage of the lower cost and reaps the benefits. For those who are attacking candidates who may have used an illegal worker, have you ever hired a contractor with a suspicion that an illegal worker may have been used?

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I am willing to pay a little more to put Americans to work. I tell companies I deal with to make sure they send ONLY legal workers to work for me.

I thought people WANTED their property values to increase? An increase in property values means an increase in taxes, even if the millage rate stays the same. This is a classic example of having your cake and eating it too.

Taxes that are based on a % of value, rather than a flat amount, run the risk of fluctuation.

Based on your statements, the current administration can claim tax breaks because values have decreased so significantly. Each administration would be a the mercy of the housing market, which is something they don't collectively have much control over.

Average Paulding assessments for 2010 are decreasing 17.5% across the board. Unless the BOC increases the millage rate we WILL have a decrease in the tax bills this year an average of 17.5%.

Mine dropped 25%.

I understand the point you are trying to make. However, I have to disagree with my friend on this one. Take, for instance, the Reagan tax cuts with the Kemp-Roth bill in 1981. Following those cuts, tax revenue (following the recession in 1982) increased substantially. Similarly, it is well-established that cutting excessive capital gains tax rates actually increases revenue, which occurred with the Bush tax cuts in 2003. Whether giving the government more revenue or not is a legitimate debate and, arguably, undermines the effort to limit the size of government. However, it does not mean that the politicians supported tax increases. (Again, I have never heard anyone say that government raised taxes because the price of goods increased while the sales tax remained the same. This analogy is somewhat distinguishable from ad valorem taxes because the government through the tax assessor sets the price of the good while the private market dictates the price of groceries, etc., but nonetheless the analogy is valid because HO's have the right to challenge assessments.)

As for the annual reassessment, the State actually passed a law this year, which I believe the Governor signed, requiring assessments on an annual basis because they are thought to be more homeowner-friendly. (BTW: the legislation also required tax assessors to consider foreclosures in a neighborhood when calculating the value, which some assessors refused to do.) That may be debatable as to whether annual assessments are pro-homeowner or not, but it was the justification for revising the methods for determining ad valorem taxes.

I understand the point you are trying to make. However, I have to disagree with my friend on this one. Take, for instance, the Reagan tax cuts with the Kemp-Roth bill in 1981. Following those cuts, tax revenue (following the recession in 1982) increased substantially. Similarly, it is well-established that cutting excessive capital gains tax rates actually increases revenue, which occurred with the Bush tax cuts in 2003. Whether giving the government more revenue or not is a legitimate debate and, arguably, undermines the effort to limit the size of government. However, it does not mean that the politicians supported tax increases. (Again, I have never heard anyone say that government raised taxes because the price of goods increased while the sales tax remained the same. This analogy is somewhat distinguishable from ad valorem taxes because the government through the tax assessor sets the price of the good while the private market dictates the price of groceries, etc., but nonetheless the analogy is valid because HO's have the right to challenge assessments.)

As for the annual reassessment, the State actually passed a law this year, which I believe the Governor signed, requiring assessments on an annual basis because they are thought to be more homeowner-friendly. (BTW: the legislation also required tax assessors to consider foreclosures in a neighborhood when calculating the value, which some assessors refused to do.) That may be debatable as to whether annual assessments are pro-homeowner or not, but it was the justification for revising the methods for determining ad valorem taxes.

I can't grasp your sales tax analogy.

On the BOE and County M&O millages rates. It all boils down to whether or not you PAY MORE this year than last. Or, as in the case of this year, PAY LESS.

As of now, no mention of a millage increase is on the table, but I would expect the county to have to do something.

Obviously pigpen you disagree with the law as it is written, It is pretty clear that if the tax digest increases and if the School Board and the Board of commissioners refuse to "ROLL BACK" the millage rate where it is revenue neutral Then they are required by The Laws of the State of Georgia To advertise in the legal organ of the County a PROPOSED TAX INCREASE, And are required by law to hold three public hearings for the purpose of giving citizens the opportunity to voice their opinions on the PROPOSED TAX INCREASE And then the tax increase will be imposed. I certainly hope that this was not changed with the new tax law?

For the past several years this has been the method of Tax increases in Paulding County, In part, but there has also been some millage rate increases such as the Fire Tax, Green space and Watson Complex bond as well as the school bonds.

Obviously pigpen you disagree with the law as it is written, It is pretty clear that if the tax digest increases and if the School Board and the Board of commissioners refuse to "ROLL BACK" the millage rate where it is revenue neutral Then they are required by The Laws of the State of Georgia To advertise in the legal organ of the County a PROPOSED TAX INCREASE, And are required by law to hold three public hearings for the purpose of giving citizens the opportunity to voice their opinions on the PROPOSED TAX INCREASE And then the tax increase will be imposed. I certainly hope that this was not changed with the new tax law?

For the past several years this has been the method of Tax increases in Paulding County, In part, but there has also been some millage rate increases such as the Fire Tax, Green space and Watson Complex bond as well as the school bonds.

I don't claim to be an expert on whether the County must advertise a tax increase where there has been no millage increase simply because property values increased and, therefore, revenues increased. I suppose it is possible and do recall the County having to advertise a tax increase 2 years ago when, I believe, the amount of taxes actually went down while the millage rate increased. If I am wrong, which won't be the first time, it still seems opportunistic to call them tax increases when the millage rate decreased. It is fair to say that the County received more revenue in a given year compared to the prior year. But again, that same argument can be applied when the price of groceries increases, because the amount of revenue also increases even where the sales tax remains the same.

The BOE has a meeting on the Millage rate on July 27th. It was announced in the Dallas New Era.

Not only had they better be legal but they also have to SPEAK ENGLISH. I will not have workers who I can not speak with or workers I can not understand.

Not a true or fair statement,for the past ten years the Republican Controlled County Commissioners and school board have raised our taxes.

Eight of those years the State legislature was controlled by the Republicans, The past two years the State Republicans have raised property taxes by not funding HTR to the tune of $200.00 plus per home owner

Go back and read my statement. It is very accurate. Dems generally = higher taxes and Republicans generally = lower. You cheat yourself if you think any other way.

You can rest assured in this economy, the democrat WILL raise taxes. Can't argue that. Good day.

Edited by Blazing Saddles

I don't claim to be an expert on whether the County must advertise a tax increase where there has been no millage increase simply because property values increased and, therefore, revenues increased. I suppose it is possible and do recall the County having to advertise a tax increase 2 years ago when, I believe, the amount of taxes actually went down while the millage rate increased. If I am wrong, which won't be the first time, it still seems opportunistic to call them tax increases when the millage rate decreased. It is fair to say that the County received more revenue in a given year compared to the prior year. But again, that same argument can be applied when the price of groceries increases, because the amount of revenue also increases even where the sales tax remains the same.

Yes, Ga law requires that the tax commissioner calculate the total amount of change of the tax base due to reassessments and determine a rollback rate to keep the tax amount revenue neutral.

If this rate is exceeded, it is a tax increase and the taxing authority (BOE or BOC) must have public meetings stating so.

Ga Code 48-5-32

(B) At the time of certification of the digest, the tax receiver or tax commissioner shall also certify to the recommending authority and levying authority of each taxing jurisdiction the total net assessed value added by reassessments contained in the certified tax digest for that tax digest year of the taxing jurisdiction.

©(1) Whenever a recommending authority or levying authority shall propose to adopt a millage rate which does not exceed the roll-back rate, it shall adopt that millage rate at an advertised public meeting and at a time and place which is convenient to the taxpayers of the taxing jurisdiction, in accordance with the procedures specified under Code Section 48-5-32.

(2) In those instances in which the recommending authority or levying authority proposes to establish any millage rate which would require increases beyond the roll-back rate, the recommending authority or levying authority shall advertise its intent to do so and shall conduct at least three public hearings thereon, at least one of which shall commence between the hours of 6:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M., inclusive, on a business weekday. The recommending authority or levying authority shall place an advertisement in a newspaper of general circulation serving the residents of the unit of local government, which shall read as follows:

'NOTICE OF PROPERTY TAX INCREASE

The (name of recommending authority or levying authority) has tentatively adopted a millage rate which will require an increase in property taxes by (percentage increase over roll-back rate) percent.

All concerned citizens are invited to the public hearing on this tax increase to be held at (place of meeting) on (date and time).'

Simultaneously with this notice the recommending authority or levying authority shall provide a press release to the local media.

(3) The advertisement shall appear at least one week prior to each hearing and shall be prominently displayed and shall not be placed in that section of the newspaper where legal notices appear.

(4) No recommending authority shall recommend and no levying authority shall levy a millage rate in excess of the proposed millage rate as established pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection without beginning anew the procedures and hearings required by this Code section and those required by Code Section 48-5-32.

(5) Any notice or hearing required under this Code section may be combined with any notice or hearing required under Article 1 of Chapter 81 of Title 36 or Code Section 48-5-32.

However, even with the law, since many large landowners were allowed to put their land in "Conservation Covenants" that locked their value at the value assessed when the covenant was invoked, the small rate decrease was not enough to cancel the assessment increase. The large landowners on the other hand, since their value was locked, got a nice tax cut.

The homeowner/business owner ends up paying more taxes anyway.

Go back and read my statement. It is very accurate. Dems generally = higher taxes and Republicans generally = lower. You cheat yourself if you think any other way.

You can rest assured in this economy, the democrat WILL raise taxes. Can't argue that. Good day.

Has this group of commissioners raised taxes?

Has this group of commissioners raised taxes?

What does the word "generally" mean to you? It seems some of you people can't get that through your thick lib skulls. Face it, your party is generally the party of higher taxes and bigger gov't. Ut oh, there is that word generally again.

What does the word "generally" mean to you? It seems some of you people can't get that through your thick lib skulls. Face it, your party is generally the party of higher taxes and bigger gov't. Ut oh, there is that word generally again.

Hey Animal,

BS just called you a LIBERAL!!! Join the crowd over here where we are exiled to "Against Us Land". You know, "If you are not with us then you are AGAINST US". Let me know how it feels to be referred to as a LIBERAL just because you might have overstepped "Their line" with your toe.

The local GOP folks are becoming very canabilistic it appears.

Hey Animal,

BS just called you a LIBERAL!!! Join the crowd over here where we are exiled to "Against Us Land". You know, "If you are not with us then you are AGAINST US". Let me know how it feels to be referred to as a LIBERAL just because you might have overstepped "Their line" with your toe.

animal is a liberal? ROTFALMAO Yep ole BS really knows how to pick them out :yahoo:

Hey Animal,

^^^ Non partisan.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree with you about being in a budget crunch. But, I do think it is a great thing they do continue to do for a large event MANY people of the county can enjoy.

But if you think an event like that cost around $10k, I would be very surprised!!! Like I mentioned earlier, look at the ENTIRE cost of the event. For ie; what do you think the per hour cost is for an officer equipped with a vehicle, fire dept personnel, EMT's?? Let's just plug a low # in, say $100/hr x 30 employees for five hours. (using that number to reflect the cost of operating and maintaining equipment). Those imaginary $$$ figures do not include fireworks, entertainment, etc, etc. much less the county most likely had to fill in voids with personel in other areas of the county for coverage, therefore paying overtime.

I challenge you to try and find out the bottom line cost. Although I assume many of the cost come out of various operating budgets

I agree with you about being in a budget crunch. But, I do think it is a great thing they do continue to do for a large event MANY people of the county can enjoy.

But if you think an event like that cost around $10k, I would be very surprised!!! Like I mentioned earlier, look at the ENTIRE cost of the event. For ie; what do you think the per hour cost is for an officer equipped with a vehicle, fire dept personnel, EMT's?? Let's just plug a low # in, say $100/hr x 30 employees for five hours. (using that number to reflect the cost of operating and maintaining equipment). Those imaginary $$$ figures do not include fireworks, entertainment, etc, etc. much less the county most likely had to fill in voids with personel in other areas of the county for coverage, therefore paying overtime.

I challenge you to try and find out the bottom line cost. Although I assume many of the cost come out of various operating budgets

I am not going to disagree with you about it being a positive thing to do. I was just using the figure another poster said it cost. That poster seemed to know what they were talking about. Maybe you can read the earlier posts and pm them to find out if they do know for sure.

Animal has never given me any reason to think he is liberal. He does love to pull people's chains.laugh.gif

Yeah but it is hard for me to believe that any sort of majority came here on work VISAs; let alone are they US citizens, especially when they can't speak a lick of English. I'd wager that the majority are here illegally, and we will never know exactly how many because no one in government, past or present, wants to admit how lax our border security has been and for how long! It started way before Obama. I remember John Kerry debating Bush on this issue and he said that 4,500 illegal immigrants were coming in every day. I was shocked. JMHO

Edited by _sMoKe_

Not only had they better be legal but they also have to SPEAK ENGLISH. I will not have workers who I can not speak with or workers I can not understand.

If you were an employer, you would be sitting in court more than behind your desk. Oh wait, there would be a Mexican sitting behind your desk. :lol:

Hey Animal,

I'm conservative thank you. No party affiliation at all. As for you, don't group yourself with conservatives either, you are as European Socialist as you'll find around here.

Animal has never given me any reason to think he is liberal. He does love to pull people's chains.laugh.gif

As was I. I've read enough of him to know where he stands. I referred to "lib" in his case because he just wasn't understanding the word "generally". That seems to be lib brains when it comes to reality and truth. Guess they could see the correlation. ;) Doesn't surprise me.