Paulding.com

Pauding County Sheriff School Shuttle

hey, i've noticed a good number of Paulding County Sheriff Patrol cars are dropping kids off at school. Since we school choice, There are some days when i need help getting my kids to school and they'd love to ride in a patrol car. Is there a sign-up sheet i can get on?

Repeating myself. I love that they have drive home cars. And I don't care where they go in them. That car being on the road has been proven to be a speed deterrent. So, if it deters one speeder before the officer's shift actually begins then wonderful!

• Like 4

I guess they're supposed to take their kids to school in their own car and then go back home and get the patrol car and then go in to work. :unsure:

I guess so!

I :wub: PCSO, and I have NO problems with this whatsoever.

To me, it's no different than someone who has a company paid vehicle and does the same thing. Heck, they can go grocery shopping or take their kids to the ball field in them for all I care. This is one thing I don't mind my tax money going to.

• Like 1

Repeating myself. I love that they have drive home cars. And I don't care where they go in them. That car being on the road has been proven to be a speed deterrent. So, if it deters one speeder before the officer's shift actually begins then wonderful!

I understand what you are saying but you also have to think about:

1. How much in extra gas in a year is it costing us the tax payers.

2. Libaity... if something should happen( wreck..etc.) with the child in the car is the State, City, County going to have to pay?

3. If the purpose of the officer taking the car home is that if needed they can and will be able to get to an emergency ASAP then if the office has a child in th car and gets a call I guess that sort of throws that out the window unless they are going to respond and take the child with them....maybe on a high speed chase?

4. Does the insurance even cover this.

2. Libaity... if something should happen( wreck..etc.) with the child in the car is the State, City, County going to have to pay?

3. If the purpose of the officer taking the car home is that if needed they can and will be able to get to an emergency ASAP then if the office has a child in th car and gets a call I guess that sort of throws that out the window unless they are going to respond and take the child with them....maybe on a high speed chase?

^^All valid points.

For the amount of money that we pay LEO's I don't mind this one bit. This is a small perk, that should be allowed. It really gripes my butt that the LEO's are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They put their life on the line everyday for pay that most of us would not even work for much less risk our life for, but they do it because they enjoy the job and actually like the job that they are doing. THANK YOU, to all that serve us each and every day.

• Like 3

...and this is more to the point and the reason i posted this. Today, i saw this happening 3 times just between 2 schools for the <5 minutes i was at both locations. How often is this happening when you run it across the departments? And i'm not naive enough to think that it's just Sheriff Officer - take it across the county to all those that drive tax payer funded vehicles. it sets me off i guess because i just got finished writing the check to Paulding for 2010 and I (like many) are struggling. I'd love to have a no-expense vehicle. it'd be at least a $5k raise in my budget.

...and this is more to the point and the reason i posted this. Today, i saw this happening 3 times just between 2 schools for the <5 minutes i was at both locations. How often is this happening when you run it across the departments? And i'm not naive enough to think that it's just Sheriff Officer - take it across the county to all those that drive tax payer funded vehicles. it sets me off i guess because i just got finished writing the check to Paulding for 2010 and I (like many) are struggling. I'd love to have a no-expense vehicle. it'd be at least a $5k raise in my budget.

You could always think about it this way: Their salary, (like everyone who works for the state) comes from the state budget, the money for the state budget comes from taxes that are paid, they receive a check for their work (of which they pay taxes), so in all reality if you look at it that way, they are actually paying part of their own salary. I for one am thankful for the job that all of our LEO's do and I know that when I pull up to the school in the bus and the kids see a LEO car, (even if they are just dropping off their child), it makes a difference!

Why is it that anytime anyone has a question or even a complaint about the LEO everyone wants to jump and and say how much they :wub: them? This has nothing to do with if you love them or not or even if they are doing a great, wonderful job that most would not want to do. I can and do have the greatest respect for the job they do but there are still question I would like answers to.

There are many jobs I respect and admire but just for that reason alone I do not turn a blind eye to everything they do.

• Like 1

You could always think about it this way: Their salary, (like everyone who works for the state) comes from the state budget, the money for the state budget comes from taxes that are paid, they receive a check for their work (of which they pay taxes), so in all reality if you look at it that way, they are actually paying part of their own salary. I for one am thankful for the job that all of our LEO's do and I know that when I pull up to the school in the bus and the kids see a LEO car, (even if they are just dropping off their child), it makes a difference!

First of all - RTR...

Second - the post isn't about NOT appreciating the job of the LEO. i totally get that and respect their willingness. but i could use your point of view to make mine. If I'm paying MY taxes and they are paying theirs - then they ought to come by and pick my kids up on the days i need help, right? :)

So, it would appear that you are less upset about them dropping a kid off at school and more angry and bitter about your own personal circumstances. My family struggles too. So, I feel your pain. However, there is a taxpayer funded option for getting your child to school. It's a school bus.

• Like 1

All valid questions. Although the gas is not an issue for me, the issue of liability and the emergency situation could be addressed.

So, it would appear that you are less upset about them dropping a kid off at school and more angry and bitter about your own personal circumstances. My family struggles too. So, I feel your pain. However, there is a taxpayer funded option for getting your child to school. It's a school bus.

Yup - those same busses are available to the LEO's kids too...

• Like 3

I was onece told that the Shariff department had to transport some of the high scool and middle school students that had been kicked of the bus for the rest of the year, those that were not bad enough for juvenal detention center, but still to bad to be allowed on the bus.

I, for one, get much more upset when I know my tax money is going to pay for food stamps and unemployment to people who do not qualify but are committing fraud to get them. They bring in more money than I do, but I get up every day and take my butt to work and pay my taxes.

Why is it that others can sit on their butts at home, while driving around in nice new cars, only claim a part of the income brought into a household because the other party hides his income and doesn't pay any taxes on it at all, pretends to be searching for a job while having no intentions of getting one, and WE pay for them collect these benefits?

It is those people who cost us a lot more than some officers dropping their kids off at school on our dime.

I would much rather them drop there kid off at school than sit in our neighborhood which he lives in and give out tickets. Yes i got a ticket for no seat belt 100 yards from my drive way and my neighbor got one not coming to a complete stop at the stop sign in front of her house ... ughhhh !!!!!:angry:

I am far more concerned about the insane amount of nepotism in this county than I am about deputies driving their kids to school in their cruisers. While they may technically be unavailable for the few minutes they have their kids in the cruiser, the pros outweigh the cons.

:lol:

I would much rather them drop there kid off at school than sit in our neighborhood which he lives in and give out tickets. Yes i got a ticket for no seat belt 100 yards from my drive way and my neighbor got one not coming to a complete stop at the stop sign in front of her house ... ughhhh !!!!!:angry:

I, for one, get much more upset when I know my tax money is going to pay for food stamps and unemployment to people who do not qualify but are committing fraud to get them. They bring in more money than I do, but I get up every day and take my butt to work and pay my taxes.

Why is it that others can sit on their butts at home, while driving around in nice new cars, only claim a part of the income brought into a household because the other party hides his income and doesn't pay any taxes on it at all, pretends to be searching for a job while having no intentions of getting one, and WE pay for them collect these benefits?

It is those people who cost us a lot more than some officers dropping their kids off at school on our dime.

I think one thing should be dealt with at a time rather than saying it is Ok because there is something worse out there. Everytime I hear something like that it really wants to make me look into things more to see just what is being hidden by all the smoke screens being thrown up.

Only if you go and pick theirs up on the days they need help. :)

Hey - i'd pick theirs up and come pick yours up too and run them wherever you needed me to if you had to pay for my gas, insurance, wear and tear, etc... ;)

Look, we can go back and forth all day - rednekhikchik has asked the question - what is the policy? i'm sure it's fairly vague and open for interpretation to protect all. i'm just sayin' that if it's good for the goose it's great for the gander. i just wonder how big that gander is and how much is it costin' the rest of us geese? I bet if you really analyzed the cost (across all county departments this is happening), we may all be surprised. The current IRS mileage reimbursement guidelines are $.50 per mile. I'll let someone way smarter than me do the calculations...

I would not want their job

So I will cut them some slack .

There may be more to the situation . Or if it is their child , I'm all about father's being active in their childs life

Some of them are Moms. My Daughter in law

I love Paulding County SO! They are some of the hardest working LEOs IMO. Sheriff Gulledge is an amazing leader, and he's built a great team. I've never encountered an officer that wasn't professional, friendly, and helpful.

:wub:

I agree with you and I think before we make judgements about this we need all of the facts. I trust Sheriff Gulledge to know those facts and to act on them in the legal and proper manner. If someone has a question or a complaint I think they need to speak with him and get the honest straightforward answer he will give them.

I have never owned a company car, but I did get a gas card allowance. This was part of my salary, just like health insurance, 401K contributions, etc. We, the taxpayers, are paying for governement employee benefits (as it should be), and having a company car is one of those benefits. I see it as being part of their salary. Now, if they were using the car and gas to travel to Las Vegas twice a year, I would be upset. But, I dont see a problem with using the car for everyday things, such as dropping their child at school.

Please stop being rational and making sense. There is simply no place for that here. :lol:

I have never owned a company car, but I did get a gas card allowance. This was part of my salary, just like health insurance, 401K contributions, etc. We, the taxpayers, are paying for governement employee benefits (as it should be), and having a company car is one of those benefits. I see it as being part of their salary. Now, if they were using the car and gas to travel to Las Vegas twice a year, I would be upset. But, I dont see a problem with using the car for everyday things, such as dropping their child at school.

Wow...seriously. Maybe I am just grumpy today or something but to complain about seeing some kids being dropped off in an SO car seems really ridiculous.

Do you know for a fact they were dropping off their own kids or are you just assuming?

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the police helping get "troubled" kids or kids in a situation where they could use the help to school. I thought maybe they were picking up kids who were at a crossroads where depending on the adults in their lives they might be headed in one direction with their life or another and the maybe the PD was picking them up to spend a little quality time with them on the way to school. And to make sure they made it there.

I certainly didn't mind when I read they might actually be dropping their own kids off. Who cares?

Ahhhh.... the voice of reason. Thank you saying what I was thinking in a much better way.

Please stop being rational and making sense. There is simply no place for that here. :lol:

Really? I guess you need to know just how far it is to school every day, store, other little trips and then add that mileage up to see just how far they could have gone on one really good trip using the county or state car. See it is not rational and does not make sense to be so short sighted that you do not look at the whole picture but only a very small part of it. If over a years time they could have gone to Vegas would it then not be OK?

Trying to turn apples into oranges, I see. If their benefit allows for the personal use, it does not equal a trip to Vegas. Until somebody has any factual details about any of it, nobody is right. It just gets old to see how quickly people jump to assume the worst. As mentioned by others, how does the OP (or anyone else in here) know that the kids belonged to the deputies?

Trying to turn apples into oranges, I see. If their benefit allows for the personal use, it does not equal a trip to Vegas. Until somebody has any factual details about any of it, nobody is right. It just gets old to see how quickly people jump to assume the worst. As mentioned by others, how does the OP (or anyone else in here) know that the kids belonged to the deputies?

Vegas is about 1950 miles from here. Now if we are just talking about driving then an extra 10.6 miles a day on a LEO car would not only get you to Vegas but also get you home again. Only an extra 5.3 miles a day would get you to Vegas.... It does add up.

So does an Officer who does not have kids or only uses the car for offical business get paid more to make up for the difference?

I didn't say that it doesn't add up. What I said, or at least implied, was that there is a huge difference between driving kids to school vs. driving out of state on a purely recreational trip in a county vehicle. If you really see no difference, there's really no point in continuing the discussion.