Paulding.com

Parents Be Alert of this Man

My daughter attends the Georgia Highlands campus in downtown Dallas. Today between 1:30 and 2:00 an older man tried to get her to get in his car. He kept saying,"Excuse me mam",then opened his car door. She got to her car and left quickly. This was right at student parking,behind the campus. He was in a dark grey or black older buick style car.He had grey hair and wore glasses. I did report this to the campus security and they were very helpful and concerned. I did also report it to the Dallas Police. Please warn your chilren and young adults to not get in the car with anyone that approaches them, and tell them if anyone really needs help, that is not the way to go about getting it.

Does your daughter have a cell phone, tell her if this ever happens again call 911. Get to her car and lock the doors and wait for an officer. She could have had an officer there in a couple of minutes and possible they could have caught this guy. I am glad she didn't get hurt, even if she doe not have a cell phone that is operational you can still call 911 on any cell phone that you can turn on even if it does not have service. Alot of people do not know this.

Does your daughter have a cell phone, tell her if this ever happens again call 911. Get to her car and lock the doors and wait for an officer. She could have had an officer there in a couple of minutes and possible they could have caught this guy. I am glad she didn't get hurt, even if she doe not have a cell phone that is operational you can still call 911 on any cell phone that you can turn on even if it does not have service. Alot of people do not know this.

My daughter has a cell phone and what was so bothersome to me is that she said at first she thought the man really needed help and was not alarmed but kept walking away because she did not know him and then he became more persistent. We can not warn the dangers enough these days. I think people hear warnings,we have warned and went through all of this but they still do not realize the danger until it`s too late sometimes.I just thank God she got to her car and it was not far at all from her car. I am still bothered by this because there are so many sick people out their preying on the innocent!She gave a description of him and the car. Thank you for your concern.

Edited by Cake Lady

She is getting mace. She use to laugh at me when I made her carry it,but she is going to be carrying it again! Thank you!

CakeLady, just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware but self defense sprays may differ in their "pepper strength" and/or types. They all should also have an expiration date. This one is my favorite because it is a 3-N-1 spray. It has a pepper spray, a military grade tear gas, and a UV dye so that the attacker can be identified with a UV light when in custody. This particular model is small enough to fit in my pants pocket and also has a "quick release" key loop so that it may be attached to a purse or key ring. Mine has an expiration sticker on the side. When it expires, then you can just replace the canister with a refill canister that fits inside the same holder/sleeve. It's great to have with me when I can't carry my firearm. It also comes in several COLORS! biggrin.gif

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-82/Quick-Release-Pepper-Spray/Detail

SABRE carries many other styles and sizes of defense sprays if you care to shop. I have been there many times and wish your daughter the best of luck.

I have read this multiple times and I still don't understand it. The OP hasn't been clear enough for me. How did he try to get her in the car? From what I understand, he opened the door and called to her. She kept on walking. Did he chase her? Grab her? Approach her car?

Just trying to understand what happened......could you clear it up? I have a 20 yr old daughter who is out alone alot and would like to make her aware, but I am not sure what to tell her.

Thanks!

I have read this multiple times and I still don't understand it. The OP hasn't been clear enough for me. How did he try to get her in the car? From what I understand, he opened the door and called to her. She kept on walking. Did he chase her? Grab her? Approach her car?

Just trying to understand what happened......could you clear it up? I have a 20 yr old daughter who is out alone alot and would like to make her aware, but I am not sure what to tell her.

Thanks!

Me too, doesn't sound like he tried to get her in the car, sounds like he needed directions. Some people still don't realize that isn't the courthouse anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people calling at me from vehicles because they are looking for the courthouse. He probably got persistent because he figured she didn't hear him so he made himself louder and possibly even opened the door to get out so as to be more audible and not hide inside the vehicle.

I don't think anyone woman should be without some defensive device.

CakeLady, just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware but self defense sprays may differ in their "pepper strength" and/or types. They all should also have an expiration date. This one is my favorite because it is a 3-N-1 spray. It has a pepper spray, a military grade tear gas, and a UV dye so that the attacker can be identified with a UV light when in custody. This particular model is small enough to fit in my pants pocket and also has a "quick release" key loop so that it may be attached to a purse or key ring. Mine has an expiration sticker on the side. When it expires, then you can just replace the canister with a refill canister that fits inside the same holder/sleeve. It's great to have with me when I can't carry my firearm. It also comes in several COLORS! biggrin.gif

SABRE carries many other styles and sizes of defense sprays if you care to shop. I have been there many times and wish your daughter the best of luck.

Thank you so much,very helpful!

Me too, doesn't sound like he tried to get her in the car, sounds like he needed directions. Some people still don't realize that isn't the courthouse anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people calling at me from vehicles because they are looking for the courthouse. He probably got persistent because he figured she didn't hear him so he made himself louder and possibly even opened the door to get out so as to be more audible and not hide inside the vehicle.

I don't think anyone woman should be without some defensive device.

[/quote

To all earlier post about this man needing directions,no he did not. I take this very seriously and parents should too. Predators can act nice to begin with! This man is in his 50`s or 60`s. He made another statement to my daughter as she did get to the car. He had no business opening his door and completely being persistent. He was a white male. Someone fitting this description,has approached another young lady, that is someone elses daughter and I am not getting into that.I think the problem is people do not take these things seriously. If it was your daughter and she came home after this incident I hope you would not tell her he was probably harmless. This was on a back street that college kids cross to go to student parking,no place for any man to open his car door to a 19 year old young lady.The other young lady he approached was 19 also. AS for directions, that is what public gas stations are for. The police, college security are very concerned and I am also!

i'm a parent, and i'm alert.

and i plan to sit down with my kids this afternoon and let them know that if any old people call out to them and need help, they're to immediately ask how that can be of assistance. especially if the old person is polite enough to say 'excuse me'.

there's no reason to get into a car with someone, in order to help them.

and there's no reason to assume that a person wants you to get in their car, just because they opened the door and said 'excuse me'.

what is this world coming to? macing old, lost folks.... for shame!!!!

• Like 2

To all earlier post about this man needing directions,no he did not. I take this very seriously and parents should too. Predators can act nice to begin with! This man is in his 50`s or 60`s. He made another statement to my daughter as she did get to the car. He had no business opening his door and completely being persistent. He was a white male. Someone fitting this description,has approached another young lady, that is someone elses daughter and I am not getting into that.I think the problem is people do not take these things seriously. If it was your daughter and she came home after this incident I hope you would not tell her he was probably harmless. This was on a back street that college kids cross to go to student parking,no place for any man to open his car door to a 19 year old young lady.The other young lady he approached was 19 also. AS for directions, that is what public gas stations are for. The police, college security are very concerned and I am also!

The only thing you've told us is that he said "excuse me" and then your daughter got in her car and left. How do you know he didn't want directions? How does that equate to him trying to get her into his car?

If the man pulls into the college looking for the courthouse and realizes it's not the courthouse why would he drive to the convenience store across the street to ask directions when there is a young lady, probably a fine upstanding citizen, a budding pillar of the community right there who possibly wouldn't mind helping an old man such as himself.

Thanks!

This may not concern you , but it did me ,the police and college security. You may not feel a need to tell your daughter anything.I am posting what happened and entered more info.Thanks!

I know it is frustrating when you try to post something meant to be helpful to others and you get pounced on. Sometimes in our haste to warn people we forget important details (this happened to another female, and he said somthing else to her for example).

[/quote I will still post if I think I need to on an alert,but yes, it is frustrating when you can`t just give enough info to help warn parents and that be it. If they do not feel it is a problem ,then do not worry about it. Let it go but I have a right to post as much info as I want to post without people coming down on it not being enough or worthy of an alert. Look at the sexual offender registry. There are a lot of old men on there that I am sure some people think look sweet,if they did not look them up on that! My daughter did not harm an old man, but he could have harmed her! It happens every day! Thanks for your kindness.

• Like 2

Thank you sooo much for your concern and kindness! I will get her that. She had a pepper sray that had expired a while back and I should have looked into this. You know my daughter is very friendly to older people but God gives us a feeling when something is not right for our on well being and I want her to always go by that for her on good.Today people are more worried about the perverts sometimes!

Edited by Cake Lady

I know it is frustrating when you try to post something meant to be helpful to others and you get pounced on. Sometimes in our haste to warn people we forget important details (this happened to another female, and he said somthing else to her for example).

[/quote I will still post if I think I need to on an alert,but yes, it is frustrating when you can`t just give enough info to help warn parents and that be it. If they do not feel it is a problem ,then do not worry about it. Let it go but I have a right to post as much info as I want to post without people coming down on it not being enough or worthy of an alert. Look at the sexual offender registry. There are a lot of old men on there that I am sure some people think look sweet,if they did not look them up on that! My daughter did not harm [color=#8b0000]an old man[/color], but he could have harmed her! It happens every day! Thanks for your kindness.

I'm glad your daughter was not harmed and was able to give a description of the man but I have one problem with your description.........50 or 60 is not old. Maybe you should have said a mature man.

LOL, just kidding. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thats what Hubby got me mostly because of the dye in it.

ame='Cake Lady' date='28 September 2010 - 12:13 PM' timestamp='1285694036' post='3271133']

I'm glad your daughter was not harmed and was able to give a description of the man but I have one problem with your description.........50 or 60 is not old. Maybe you should have said a mature man.

LOL, just kidding. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree ,my daughter is 19 and gave the description of an older man,to her it is, but to me yes,mature man.

My daughter attends the Georgia Highlands campus in downtown Dallas. Today between 1:30 and 2:00 an older man tried to get her to get in his car. He kept saying,"Excuse me mam",then opened his car door. She got to her car and left quickly. This was right at student parking,behind the campus. He was in a dark grey or black older buick style car.He had grey hair and wore glasses. I did report this to the campus security and they were very helpful and concerned. I did also report it to the Dallas Police. Please warn your chilren and young adults to not get in the car with anyone that approaches them, and tell them if anyone really needs help, that is not the way to go about getting it.

Older was my daughters description,but in 50`s or 60`s. I think most people are picturing little, old. helpless man,no! He did have grey hair.

I appreciate the heads up! My daughter's dad lives in this area and she was over there yesterday. As soon as I read this I called her to let her know.

Thank you! You got it! That`s what I wanted,parents that would be concerned and warn kids,especially in the area.Thank you sooo much. That is how I would react to the info. I guess some people think it has to be a crime that has already happened before they warn.

No it's that some of us have better sense than to run around screaming that the sky is falling. The only thing the man did wrong was say excuse me to someone.

...and he opened his door. :mellow:

3 weeks ago an Older man with grey hair pulled into a driveway in Temple and tried to get a high school age girl to get in his van. He kept asking her if she needed a ride to school. The father of the girl was standing on the front porch but was out of sight. When he saw what was going on he started to walk out the driver of the van pulled quickly away as soon as he saw the father. When the dad reported it he was informed that this was the 2nd time this had happened in Temple. Both girls reported the same description and both said he looked creepy.

Being aware of your surroundings and of potential danger is one thing. Assuming that every middle aged man who says "excuse me" to a college student is a serial rapist is another. I can guarantee you that If I ask for directions and some little twerp maces me , I will be the one calling the cops, and said twerp may be jailed for assault. What has this world come to where two people can't have a simple short conversation on the street.

Being aware of your surroundings and of potential danger is one thing. Assuming that every middle aged man who says "excuse me" to a college student is a serial rapist is another. I can guarantee you that If I ask for directions and some little twerp maces me , I will be the one calling the cops, and said twerp may be jailed for assault. What has this world come to where two people can't have a simple short conversation on the street.

by the time they're college aged, shouldn't we have already taught our children to be aware of their surrounding, and to not get in the car with strangers?