Paulding.com

How did your Statewide Candidates do ?

Gary Black solidly won the Republican nod for Ag Commissioner and should be able to win in November. I am pleased to say the least.

It appears Terry Coleman, former Speaker of the House, former Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture, and former Boss to MrsSurepip got beat in his bid for Labor Commissioner 51% to 49%. If he had run Labor, as he did his office at the Ag Department he would have been terrible. We were most pleased to see him lose his bid, although if Roy succeeds in November I am sure there will be an appointed position for Coleman.

Handle and Deal huh ? Interesting to see who beats up on who harder ......

Carol Porter easily won her bid for Lt Governor to run against Casey Cagle. That will be a "D" I will have to vote for. I have always found Cagle to exist on the food chain just below snakes. She is a sharp, sharp lady.

Sam Olens has a run-off against Preston Smith for AG. I have to remember that Olens and King Jerry supposedly were tight. That will come into play for my run-off vote.

Anyone else?

I am hoping that Handel can get through the run-off so we can see her run against Roy. I am actually pretty sad that Deal made it to the run-off, however I guess between he and Ox, he's the lesser of two evils. I think Handel has a great shot, and I am pretty sure she will make it to November. :::crossingfingers:::

I can honestly say that I do not know enough about the Ag, so I took your word for it here that Black would be a good choice. I probably shouldn't admit that since I do my own research to make my choices, but on this one I just didn't know. Even after research.

I was suprised at how many votes Kathy Cox got. :blink:

I am hoping that Handel can get through the run-off so we can see her run against Roy. I am actually pretty sad that Deal made it to the run-off, however I guess between he and Ox, he's the lesser of two evils. I think Handel has a great shot, and I am pretty sure she will make it to November. :::crossingfingers:::

I can honestly say that I do not know enough about the Ag, so I took your word for it here that Black would be a good choice. I probably shouldn't admit that since I do my own research to make my choices, but on this one I just didn't know. Even after research.

I was suprised at how many votes Kathy Cox got. :blink:

Head to head Deal does better against Barnes in polls, he is our best bet to defeat King Roy

• Like 1

I only wish that everyone could see through the religious BS that some of these politicians are USING for their personal gain. Sam Olens claim to fame is fighting the ACLU (supposedly). That is an honorable thing I suppose but does it make him the best candidate for AG? Not in my opinion.

Nathan Deal (aka: Zig Zag Zell II) can't decide which political party is going to be in his best personal interest this week. He has done nothing. So much nothing in fact that all he had to talk about in his commercials was Obama.

Roy Barnes was impressive. Impressive to the point that if the Republicans beat on each other too much in this runoff it is going to turn a lot of voters against the party. The Republicans are acting like a bunch of Baptist arguing over a new pastor.

Thank God Oxendine went down in flames.

I only wish that everyone could see through the religious BS that some of these politicians are USING for their personal gain. Sam Olens claim to fame is fighting the ACLU (supposedly). That is an honorable thing I suppose but does it make him the best candidate for AG? Not in my opinion.

Nathan Deal (aka: Zig Zag Zell II) can't decide which political party is going to be in his best personal interest this week. He has done nothing. So much nothing in fact that all he had to talk about in his commercials was Obama.

Roy Barnes was impressive. Impressive to the point that if the Republicans beat on each other too much in this runoff it is going to turn a lot of voters against the party. The Republicans are acting like a bunch of Baptist arguing over a new pastor.

That is my worry as well. I hope Handel does not resort to those tactics, but we will see.

I will be voting for Sam Olens. He is a good man. I did alot of work for him through CDOT. He is out there working for the folks he represents. I have nothing but good things to say about Sam.

I don't think he was 'tight' like you think with Jerry.... I really don't think anyone was. If so...he wouldn't have lost!

I will be voting for Sam Olens. He is a good man. I did alot of work for him through CDOT. He is out there working for the folks he represents. I have nothing but good things to say about Sam.

I don't think he was 'tight' like you think with Jerry.... I really don't think anyone was. If so...he wouldn't have lost!

I agree! I will be working for Sam too. Course I have been since early on in the campaign. I am glad that Wood is out of it.

I wonder where Roy stands on immigration? That is HUGE to me. I'm sick of ALL illegals! Not just mexican...but ALL.

Me too! It was one of my largest criteria for picking a candidate this round. I think tightening up on illegal immigrants will help this country more than anything right now. The country should be able to cut spending way down by just not supporting free anything for non citizens and money is always the root of problems so if we had all that we spend supporting non citizens we should be able to put that money to use in other areas. If you are an immigrant here legally I have no issue with you at all, in fact I commend you on becoming a citizen of the USA.

I wonder where Roy stands on immigration? That is HUGE to me. I'm sick of ALL illegals! Not just mexican...but ALL.

Read this:

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/07/roy-barnes-backs-az-immigratio.html

Apparently Barnes supports the AZ law. That gives him one check in my book.

Sam Olens got my vote :good:

I'm voting for Preston Smith for AG...I know some folks in Rome who know him and they say he's a straight-up guy. Also stood up to the Republican leadership in the House over something he didn't like and got busted down a notch by the Speaker for it. I like that in a person.

Could not agree more on Deal...UGH! I wish it had been Eric Johnson in the #2 spot, because if Deal wins the run-off, daaaaaaaang...that's gonna be hard on me. I loathe Roy Barnes, so I don't know what I'd do.

Megadittos on Oxendine - down in flames, indeed. 4th place. Hallelujah! Now, go away, Ox. :glare:

Oh, happy about Black at Ag, too!!! A good guy.

Edited by mei lan

How about the Stout - Braddock run-off?

I think Stout should be allowed to return to his regular line of work instead of pretending to represent the people.

I'm with you.

Never been a Paulette fan before, but if she did what she did with the money she was showing in her contributions report, she might be worth taking a look at. I absolutely can't stomach the thought of Stout representing Paulding County. That is an embarrassment.

Karen H has sarah Palin backing her so that will help her.(according to some)

Roy Barnes has never been a favorite of mine. and he is using education to win his votes saying that he will put the teachers back to work education will be first on his list. so he is going after the school votes.

Oxendine is moron and I am glad he is out of the picture.

should be interesting between Paulette and Daniel.

Tough choices for this run off,I am looking and studying there positions on key issues.unsure.gif

Animal,

In all honesty dude, based on your endorsements, and/or lack there of the past week to 10 days, you might ought to consider sitting this one out in the cave.

I'm with you.

Never been a Paulette fan before, but if she did what she did with the money she was showing in her contributions report, she might be worth taking a look at. I absolutely can't stomach the thought of Stout representing Paulding County. That is an embarrassment.

At least we're not the district that pretty much just re-elected Hank Johnson, the guy who thinks that the island of Guam may tip over.

At least we're not the district that pretty much just re-elected Hank Johnson, the guy who thinks that the island of Guam may tip over.

Now I feel better knowing that the only thing keeping us from being number 1 in state laughing stock is that genius from Dekalb, Hank "Tippy" Johnson.

One notch above Hank isn't very high.

Hope Handel Kicks Deal back to the Democrats and his car inspection business. (I like her in spite of the Palin endorsement)

Won on School Super

Won on SOS.

Won on Labor Comm.

Won on AG Commissioner

Looks like another career politician will be on the take for Ins Commissioner.

Torn on district 19, my guy lost.

Torn on Atty Gen.

Read this:

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/07/roy-barnes-backs-az-immigratio.html

Apparently Barnes supports the AZ law. That gives him one check in my book.

I heard him on TV.....not so committed. He gave a very "political" answer. Said he would be in favor of the federal government allowing states to enforce immigration law like they do other federal laws. In other words, no.

Was that just campaign speak..........Don't trust anything thay say, make promises thay can't keep ....... <_<

I'm not a fan of Barnes anyway.

I heard him on TV.....not so committed. He gave a very "political" answer. Said he would be in favor of the federal government allowing states to enforce immigration law like they do other federal laws. In other words, no.

Typical politician. From the above, we can assume that being a lock - step Dem, Roy would support Obama's plan to grant amnesty.

I'm not a fan of Barnes anyway.

Typical politician. From the above, we can assume that being a lock - step Dem, Roy would support Obama's plan to grant amnesty.

PSD, you are wrong about this one. I have been knowing the Barnes family for many years, a few decades to be more precise, and I can assure you that Roy has absolutely nothing in common with Obama. All the Barnes, not JUST Roy, are some of the most conservative people I know.

When Roy left office the last time the state budget was in the black. Sonny Perdue is an idiot. With or without a bad economy, Sonny would have stolen every dollar he could get his fat mitts on. I will bet you a weeks pay that when Roy comes out of office in 2015 the state will be hitting on all 8 cylinders again.

PSD, you are wrong about this one. I have been knowing the Barnes family for many years, a few decades to be more precise, and I can assure you that Roy has absolutely nothing in common with Obama. All the Barnes, not JUST Roy, are some of the most conservative people I know.

When Roy left office the last time the state budget was in the black. Sonny Perdue is an idiot. With or without a bad economy, Sonny would have stolen every dollar he could get his fat mitts on. I will bet you a weeks pay that when Roy comes out of office in 2015 the state will be hitting on all 8 cylinders again.

I won't be taking a chance one finding out if he is wrong. At this point we can't afford to be wrong and vote in another Democrat.

What I don't understand is why anyone would believe the hipe Barnes is putting out..didn't they vote him out big time last time for some of his lies he told and being dishonest? Especially what he had done to the teachers in his last term. If anyone can recall exactly please repeat it for me. I do intend to search for it.

Anyway Eric Johnson was a great one that Georgia let get away. He has the experience and ran a race on values and what he would do for Georgia and not smear anyone else. I am just surprised lately at how people do not check out some of the candidates running for these positions and trust what they hear in ads instead of researching their backgrounds. The Democrats had some better candidates then Barnes. I definitely will not vote for him.

feelip, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but just like last time, his mouth is writing checks that his ass can't cash. Raises for teachers??? Pick the loser then.

And you know that I don't like Sonny, but the global recession isn't his fault. BTW, the budget is always in the black. It's the law. And I bet you that whoever is elected the state will be in much better shape in 2015.

Roy Barnes got elected Governor in 1998 as a folksy populist who supported education, balanced growth in Georgia, and a promise he wouldn’t change the state flag. (Yes, he did.). Once in office, he revealed himself as an arrogant, liberal elitist. His buddies were the CEOs of Atlanta’s Downtown Establishment. He spent the last four years implementing their agenda, including corporate plans for state employees, education, health care, state takeover of Atlanta’s facilities, and giving Atlanta control of Georgia’s water resources. Barnes called this, “positioning Georgia for the 21st century”. He changed the flag because Atlanta’s business establishment (and the black caucus and NAACP) wanted him to change the flag .

http://www.campaigngeorgia.org/Campaign/april/sonny_purdue.phtml

FOUND IT!!!! http://www.governing.com/blogs/politics/The-Return-of-Roy.html

The two biggest were over the Georgia flag and education policy. The Georgia flag at the time heavily featured the Confederate Battle Flag and Barnes supported the shift to a new emblem. What's less widely known -- and at least as important -- is that Barnes pushed hard for an end to teacher tenure. In doing so, he alienated teachers, a key Democratic constituency in Georgia or just about any state. Teachers haven't forgotten.

Those two controversies, and others, reflect a key point about Barnes. Supporters think he is bold, critics think he is brash and everyone agrees he is a polarizing figure. Whether Georgians want four more years of bold, brash leadership is an open question.

Barnes, for his part, struck a conciliatory tone in his announcement, declaring:

"Listening is something I didn't do enough of when I was governor. I tried to do too much, too fast. My heart was in the right place but I was impatient and didn't consult enough different people outside the Capitol."

Roy may be a good friend of yours, but I won't risk my vote on a Democrat. I'm not fond of Sonny either. Handel is my choice.

I am so glad you posted this... I was hoping some would remember how did the teachers... and now he is trying to win their votes by promising the education things that I don;t think he can deliver.

I won't be taking a chance one finding out if he is wrong. At this point we can't afford to be wrong and vote in another Democrat.

The political parties mean less and less to me. I never would have voted for Obama even if he had been a card carrying Republican. I don't dislike Handel, but we are in for a make it or break it ride for the next four years and I prefer someone with experience over someone trying to learn.

Roy may be a good friend of yours, but I won't risk my vote on a Democrat. I'm not fond of Sonny either. Handel is my choice.

I like Handel too. As soon as Deal is eliminated we will be sitting in pretty good shape regardless of who wins in November.

The political parties mean less and less to me. I never would have voted for Obama even if he had been a card carrying Republican. I don't dislike Handel, but we are in for a make it or break it ride for the next four years and I prefer someone with experience over someone trying to learn.

Looks like it's just me and you feelip. I'm voting for Roy too.

I'm not a card carrying party member either, I'm not straight party Republican or Democrat, I'm just voting for who I think will do the best job.

I like Karen Handle, and this very well may be her time, time for the first female Govenor for the Great State of Georgia. She's got some good backing. Mitt Romney is backing her. And I would have voted for Mitt for President if he would have made it that far.

I guess we'll find out in November.

IIRC, Roy also told the teachers he didn't need their votes to get re-elected in 2002. He had a $20M war chest (with commercials running every minute of every day on every channel) and Sonny had a $1M war chest. It was funny to watch the bidness leaders who had kow-towed to Roy go running to suck up to Sonny after the election. heh

If Deal wins the run-off, I truly don't know who I'll vote for. I can't see voting for Roy, but stranger things have happened. Hey - Zell Miller is a changed man...maybe Roy could have changed as well. (I doubt it, but I've been wrong before.)

I am so glad you posted this... I was hoping some would remember how did the teachers... and now he is trying to win their votes by promising the education things that I don;t think he can deliver.

The GAE hasn't endorsed Barnes or any candidate for governor. I know teachers are pissed at Barnes but that was before I lived in Georgia. I agree he's making promises he can't keep.