Paulding.com

Politics and Fireworks at Taylor Farm

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canopy’s where all of the candidates were set up were intense at times.

One of the canopy’s, most visited was that of Kathy West who was obtaining signatures to have her name placed on the ballot as an “Independent” for the school board against Nick Chester come this November’s general election. It appeared that Kathy had obtained hundreds of signatures throughout the night and several of her campaign workers were working diligently through the large crowd obtaining the needed signatures to get her name placed on the ballot.

The place was abuzz with charges and counter charges from both the candidates and ordinary citizens some of the things being tossed about was about Tony Crowe who apparently was seen in the lobby of the administration building on several different occasions greeting potential early voters as they were entering the polling place which was off limits to all candidates and campaigning.WTH was he doing there?

Another hot topic of discussion centered around an alleged press release by Jason Anavitarte who is/was a member of GALEO http://www.galeo.org/friends.php Concerning the ICE program that he had proposed, Without any mention of how to fund the federal program, Which has no funding available, But the controversy over this press release did not center around the funding portion but rather around two candidates (Steve Golden and Tony Crowe)who were being accused of employing illegal immigrants with many of the conservations stating that this was indeed factual, While others stated that this was not factual, We all know of course that the Hispanic community has been seen throughout the County performing work on the new homes/ And remodeling work. A casual observation of the conversations indicates that this was a ploy by Jason, that, was nowhere to be seen at this event

The most amusing conversation I had was with a campaign worker who was wearing a Beverly Cochran T-Shirt And she was attempting to convince me that Beverly was not a part of the old guard, Even though she was the Administrative Assistant To the Board of Commissioners from 1996 to 2008 and certainly never questioned publicly the policy of those tax and spend administrations, This campaign worker may have convinced some people but I still remember the days that Beverly was the Administrative assistant, Enough said.

The Will Avery Campaign diligently worked the crowds collecting the names E-mail’s, And Phone numbers of potential voters for the upcoming November general election for House District 19 race, which appears to be shaping up to be hotly contested race, The Avery campaign also provided fans, stickers, and brochures that was prevalent throughout the crowd, Overall Will Avery has proven to be a real challenge for the District 19 seat. Whose opponent wail be either Incumbent Stout, who has acknowledged an affair with his ex mother in law, That resulted in a divorce from his first wife, Or two previous School Board members (Golden and Braddock) Who appears to have never seen a tax increase that they disliked, And their records bear out this fact,

The fireworks in the sky were excellent, and the Parks and Recreation Department deserve to be commended for their efforts

The fireworks on the ground were also excellent, And it is good to see some of the details coming out on the candidates before election day, Stay tuned folks this is going to be an exciting week before the election

• Like 2
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Say what you want. And believe it as well I guess. Sure was fun voting a Republican primary ballot, especially the last question.   Those who know me and do business with me see me as someone on the

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canop

Purely fictitious hit-piece to slander the candidates you don't support. You do more damage to Pownall, Barnett, and Avery than you help them.

Or two previous School Board members (Golden and Braddock) Who appears to have never seen a tax increase that they disliked, And their records bear out this fact,

DOT - Why do you like to keep telling this lie? Braddock has voted against many tax increases and even rolled back the tax rate once. That is what the tax record and her public voting record show. You should at least be truthful.

One of the canopy's, most visited was that of Kathy West who was obtaining signatures to have her name placed on the ballot as an "Independent" for the school board against Nick Chester come this November's general election. It appeared that Kathy had obtained hundreds of signatures throughout the night and several of her campaign workers were working diligently through the large crowd obtaining the needed signatures to get her name placed on the ballot.

The most visited tents were the ones giving away watermelons. :) Chester is BY FAR the better candidate for this race.

The controversy over this press release did not center around the funding portion but rather around two candidates (Steve Golden and Tony Crowe)who were being accused of employing illegal immigrants with many of the conservations stating that this was indeed factual, While others stated that this was not factual, We all know of course that the Hispanic community has been seen throughout the County performing work on the new homes/ And remodeling work. A casual observation of the conversations indicates that this was a ploy by Jason, that, was nowhere to be seen at this event

Employing illegals? Haven't heard that, how did I miss that? I guess they just want to pass laws that everyone else has to follow.

DOT - Why do you like to keep telling this lie? Braddock has voted against many tax increases and even rolled back the tax rate once. That is what the tax record and her public voting record show. You should at least be truthful.

Because by stating otherwise reverts back to good old King Jerry and his annual tax rollback of the millage rate. But wait, when you got your tax bill in the mail the BOE portion AND the County M&O would be 10% to 20% or more then what they were the previous year.

Not increasing the millage rate, and not increasing the tax are 2 different items. The BOE should have rolled the millage rate back sufficiently so the net tax bills were no more than the previous year in order to be able to STATE they did not raise the taxes.

Shame on you for hiding behind the semantics of millage rate increase versus net tax bill increase. Bottom line is the check you wrote was substantially higher than the previous year and that my friend is a NET TAX INCREASE no matter what spin you want to put on it.drinks.gif

There was more fire works on the ground than what was observed in the skies above Taylor Farms Park last night as the candidates were sparring for votes and the campaigning around the cluster of canopy's where all of the candidates were set up were intense at times.

One of the canopy's, most visited was that of Kathy West who was obtaining signatures to have her name placed on the ballot as an "Independent" for the school board against Nick Chester come this November's general election. It appeared that Kathy had obtained hundreds of signatures throughout the night and several of her campaign workers were working diligently through the large crowd obtaining the needed signatures to get her name placed on the ballot.

The place was abuzz with charges and counter charges from both the candidates and ordinary citizens some of the things being tossed about was about Tony Crowe who apparently was seen in the lobby of the administration building on several different occasions greeting potential early voters as they were entering the polling place which was off limits to all candidates and campaigning.WTH was he doing there?

Another hot topic of discussion centered around an alleged press release by Jason Anavitarte who is/was a member of GALEO http://www.galeo.org/friends.php Concerning the ICE program that he had proposed, Without any mention of how to fund the federal program, Which has no funding available, But the controversy over this press release did not center around the funding portion but rather around two candidates (Steve Golden and Tony Crowe)who were being accused of employing illegal immigrants with many of the conservations stating that this was indeed factual, While others stated that this was not factual, We all know of course that the Hispanic community has been seen throughout the County performing work on the new homes/ And remodeling work. A casual observation of the conversations indicates that this was a ploy by Jason, that, was nowhere to be seen at this event

The most amusing conversation I had was with a campaign worker who was wearing a Beverly Cochran T-Shirt And she was attempting to convince me that Beverly was not a part of the old guard, Even though she was the Administrative Assistant To the Board of Commissioners from 1996 to 2008 and certainly never questioned publicly the policy of those tax and spend administrations, This campaign worker may have convinced some people but I still remember the days that Beverly was the Administrative assistant, Enough said.

The Will Avery Campaign diligently worked the crowds collecting the names E-mail's, And Phone numbers of potential voters for the upcoming November general election for House District 19 race, which appears to be shaping up to be hotly contested race, The Avery campaign also provided fans, stickers, and brochures that was prevalent throughout the crowd, Overall Will Avery has proven to be a real challenge for the District 19 seat. Whose opponent wail be either Incumbent Stout, who has acknowledged an affair with his ex mother in law, That resulted in a divorce from his first wife, Or two previous School Board members (Golden and Braddock) Who appears to have never seen a tax increase that they disliked, And their records bear out this fact,

The fireworks in the sky were excellent, and the Parks and Recreation Department deserve to be commended for their efforts

The fireworks on the ground were also excellent, And it is good to see some of the details coming out on the candidates before election day, Stay tuned folks this is going to be an exciting week before the election

No bias here for the Democrat huh? I don't put much stock in this BS! Those campaigning for their opponents must really be reaching to accuse Crowe and Golden of hiring illegals. I want proof!! Do you have any? Have they been reported to ICE by anyone?

Kathy West is a present member of the BOE and has been for several years. Why didn't she register as a Republican and run for that seat (as she has in the past)? Nick looks like a great candidate.

The county did a great job putting on such a great event for the community! There was a real feeling of community at the park last night, which is something that is often lost in suburban Atlanta. Keep up the good work Paulding parks and Rec! We had a great time last night talking to all the people there it is nice to be able to have real conversations with people about what is important to them and I look forward to talking to more residents of the county.

No bias here for the Democrat huh? I don't put much stock in this BS! Those campaigning for their opponents must really be reaching to accuse Crowe and Golden of hiring illegals. I want proof!! Do you have any? Have they been reported to ICE by anyone?

Kathy West is a present member of the BOE and has been for several years. Why didn't she register as a Republican and run for that seat (as she has in the past)? Nick looks like a great candidate.

And I reckon that is no bias for the Repubs ? Maybe Kathy West got fed up and tired with the Paulding Republican crowd ?

From where I sit, Avery is a pretty conservative Democrat, and even more so when compared to RINO Anivitarte. There are some who just can't sign that Oath to the Republican Party, especially the Paulding GOP. Talk about biased towards their "Chosen" candidates ninja.gifdrinks.gif

You keep making this statement yet have never provided a link to the School Board minutes that supports your claim, The facts are that Both Golden and Braddock have voted for many tax increases while serving their terms on the school board, Heck I would think a lot more of them if they would explain why they had to raise the taxes,rather than to deny the fact that they actually did.

chickenbob and peeper time for ya'll to come clean and own up to what is a matter of record, Anyone who has lived here the past ten years know that we have received the largest tax increases from the commissioners and school board in the history of Paulding County, This is the first year in the last15 that no tax increase is proposed

She had gotten her teachers degree, and thought she could get a job. She did not want to teach and be on the board too.

couldn't get a job as a teacher, so we need her on the board.

• Like 1

You keep making this statement yet have never provided a link to the School Board minutes that supports your claim, The facts are that Both Golden and Braddock have voted for many tax increases while serving their terms on the school board, Heck I would think a lot more of them if they would explain why they had to raise the taxes,rather than to deny the fact that they actually did.

I don't have to provide anything. Why don't you pull the public record like you've done for everything else? Not all the records are online, but you've never had a problem going and getting the paper copies on anything when it supports your agenda. The fact is, you don't want to facts because they don't support the lie you and DOT like to keep going. You have certainly never held back on bringing out the public records when they support your stance on something.

She had gotten her teachers degree, and thought she could get a job. She did not want to teach and be on the board too.

couldn't get a job as a teacher, so we need her on the board.

So you want someone that is doing it for the money?

• Like 1

I don't have to provide anything. Why don't you pull the public record like you've done for everything else? Not all the records are online, but you've never had a problem going and getting the paper copies on anything when it supports your agenda. The fact is, you don't want to facts because they don't support the lie you and DOT like to keep going. You have certainly never held back on bringing out the public records when they support your stance on something.

Listen carefully:

By not rolling back the millage rate to offset the increase in property assesment, the tax bill went up.

Every year. For the county M&O, the BOE, and then the school bond.

The TAXES WENT UP EVERY YEAR. By not voting for a millage rate rollback, the BOE sat and approved a tax increase for every assesment which increased. Which to the best of my knowledge was every home until this year.

What part of that is so difficult to understand ? If the tax bill went up over the previous year THEN WE HAD A TAX INCREASE.

The county did a great job putting on such a great event for the community! There was a real feeling of community at the park last night, which is something that is often lost in suburban Atlanta. Keep up the good work Paulding parks and Rec!

I applaud them also! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

as far as the politicing... comes with the territory. :pardon:

I hope Kathy West gets the signatures She needs to make it on the ballot.

The public record has been posted on this site many times. Most recently in 2008, When she was defeated based on her record, As a sitting school board member,Many of the old guard were voted out of office that year based on the tax and spend mentality of that Adminstration.

I am only trying to remind the voters of what was going on back then when Golden, Braddock,and Cochran were part of the adminstrations that were raising our taxes on a yearly basis.

I think a better arguement for you may be that Braddock did not raise taxes as much as Golden did during his tenure on the school board, But..... You may even lose that arguement

Yeah right, and how much money do you think they make, very little if you will look it up.

And I reckon that is no bias for the Repubs ? Maybe Kathy West got fed up and tired with the Paulding Republican crowd ?

From where I sit, Avery is a pretty conservative Democrat, and even more so when compared to RINO Anivitarte. There are some who just can't sign that Oath to the Republican Party, especially the Paulding GOP. Talk about biased towards their "Chosen" candidates ninja.gifdrinks.gif

Somehow I don't think that is the reason Kathy is not running as a Republican. She was on the board with Paulette whom you seem to feel voted the wrong way on taxes and bond issues. How is Kathy different in your view. She is the incumbent after all. Party affiliation did not make her vote the way she voted did it?

The public record has been posted on this site many times. Most recently in 2008, When she was defeated based on her record, As a sitting school board member,Many of the old guard were voted out of office that year based on the tax and spend mentality of that Adminstration.

I am only trying to remind the voters of what was going on back then when Golden, Braddock,and Cochran were part of the adminstrations that were raising our taxes on a yearly basis.

I think a better arguement for you may be that Braddock did not raise taxes as much as Golden did during his tenure on the school board, But..... You may even lose that arguement

I know that you support Avery but I can't understand why you are trying to take out Golden in the Primary. You must like one of the other Republican candidates better.

Would that be Stout or Paulette? Oh, I do see where you are against Paulette too. Guess my question has been answered.

I know that you support Avery but I can't understand why you are trying to take out Golden in the Primary. You must like one of the other Republican candidates better.

Would that be Stout or Paulette? Oh, I do see where you are against Paulette too. Guess my question has been answered.

Matter of fact I do not like nor do I support any of the Republican candidates for House District 19, None of them in my opinion is worthy of representing Paulding County in Distric 19. We have been embrassed enough by the two previous representives, And now we have two former tax and spend School Board members who are attempting to carry us back to the pre 2008 era.

If concerned citizens had spoken up this past election we would not have been embrassed by Stout getting elected. But............... citizens stayed quite about the affair with his mother in law until after most people had voted and the end result is obvious.

BTW Have you had the opportunity to ask Golden if he has used any illegal immigrants on all of those homes he is/has built?

Will you please provide the documents that shows that I am telling a lie?

Matter of fact I do not like nor do I support any of the Republican candidates for House District 19, None of them in my opinion is worthy of representing Paulding County in Distric 19. We have been embrassed enough by the two previous representives, And now we have two former tax and spend School Board members who are attempting to carry us back to the pre 2008 era.

If concerned citizens had spoken up this past election we would not have been embrassed by Stout getting elected. But............... citizens stayed quite about the affair with his mother in law until after most people had voted and the end result is obvious.

BTW Have you had the opportunity to ask Golden if he has used any illegal immigrants on all of those homes he is/has built?

No, but if the answer is yes he will not get a vote from me. I don't believe it but will ask anyway. Has he been investigated by ICE? How can you make these charges unless he has? If Stout wins this election it will be with his story out for the voters to accept or reject.

No, but if the answer is yes he will not get a vote from me. I don't believe it but will ask anyway. Has he been investigated by ICE? How can you make these charges unless he has? If Stout wins this election it will be with his story out for the voters to accept or reject.

What has ICE got to do with this?

I agree if the citizens elect Stout the voters accept his improper behavior.And they want that type individual to represent them under the gold dome.

I agree if the citizens elect Stout the voters accept his improper behavior.And they want that type individual to represent them under the gold dome.

It is against the law to employ illegals. If you are saying that he has done so then why hasn't he been investigated or charged. If he hasn't been, upon what evidence do you base your charges?

Lets remember this: Even though several of the republican candidates "raised" taxes when they held other offices, you can rest assured that a democrat in office will NO DOUBT raise your taxes. So, it is better to vote for a republican who MIGHT raise your taxes than it would be to vote for a democrat who WILL raise your taxes. (no pun intended)

It is against the law to employ illegals. If you are saying that he has done so then why hasn't he been investigated or charged. If he hasn't been, upon what evidence do you base your charges?

I was at the fireworks show last night and their were several people talking about Golden and Crowe working illegals in their business.I have no personal knowledge of whether they have or have not but the rumor was running rampant around the park.

In the home building industry it is a known fact than primarily hispanic workers are used for all of the sub contracting such as sheetrock,footings,roofing, framing,painting, etc. Most anything that does not require a license, We all know that a vast majority of those workers speak very little if any english This does beg the question,Has this occured?

It should be noted that the issue was first raised in another post earlier this past week.by MEvans

I was at the fireworks show last night and their were several people talking about Golden and Crowe working illegals in their business.I have no personal knowledge of whether they have or have not but the rumor was running rampant around the park.

In the home building industry it is a known fact than primarily hispanic workers are used for all of the sub contracting such as sheetrock,footings,roofing, framing,painting, etc. Most anything that does not require a license, We all know that a vast majority of those workers speak very little if any english This does beg the question,Has this occured?

It should be noted that the issue was first raised in another post earlier this past week.by MEvans

Rumors sent out at election time do not bare repeating unless you know it to be fact. If there is no proof then it is nothing more than dirty campaign tricks by an opponent or their supporters. JMO I have sent an inquiry to him asking if there is any truth in this.

Lets remember this: Even though several of the republican candidates "raised" taxes when they held other offices, you can rest assured that a democrat in office will NO DOUBT raise your taxes. So, it is better to vote for a republican who MIGHT raise your taxes than it would be to vote for a democrat who WILL raise your taxes. (no pun intended)

Not a true or fair statement,for the past ten years the Republican Controlled County Commissioners and school board have raised our taxes.

Eight of those years the State legislature was controlled by the Republicans, The past two years the State Republicans have raised property taxes by not funding HTR to the tune of $200.00 plus per home owner

Will you please provide the documents that shows that I am telling a lie?

Prove your comments are true. You started it.

I disagree. Most still don't know about it.

Ok, don't know what years these people were on the BOE, but the History page of the 2011 BOE budget shows:

2002 - 2003 - M&O = $34,055,167 (17.290)

2003 - 2004 - M&O = $36,619,864 (16.409)

2004 - 2005 - M&O = $41,003,891 (16.409)

2005 - 2006 - M&O = $47,177,060 (16.409)

2006 - 2007 - M&O = $55,398,054 (16.409)

2007 - 2008 - M&O = $71,801,202 (18.909)

2008 - 2009 - M&O = $75,563,872 (18.909)

2009 - 2010 - M&O = $69,968,652 (18.909)

2010 - 2011 - M&O = $58,070,065 (18.909)

SO... looks like the taxes collected every year since 2002 went up(even with the rate rollback in 2003) until 2009-2010.

But were they truely tax increases?

Well, board minutes are only available on line to 2004 and the early minutes suck as far as details but I found:

8/10/2004 minutes - Hearing for proposed tax increase is in the minutes. (No minutes available)

7/19/2005 minutes - Hearing on millage rate is in the minutes, but no mention of 3 legal hearings. Unanimously Approved

7/25/2006 minutes - Budget is passed after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

(Note: Bond referendum also passed - will require bond rate increase)

7/24/2007 minutes - Budget is approved after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

8/12/2008 minutes - Millage rate approved after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

So, looks like most of the years were tax increases with unanimous votes.

Ya'll can argue over what the above proves. :)

I guess it will be a question not answered.

From what I see on line, anywhere from $3000 and up.

My understanding is that the reason Paulding does it a weekend later than everyone else is we get a big discount since it's not on the "4th" weekend.

Not sure who's budget it comes out of.

Ok, don't know what years these people were on the BOE, but the History page of the 2011 BOE budget shows:

2002 - 2003 - M&O = $34,055,167 (17.290)

2003 - 2004 - M&O = $36,619,864 (16.409)

2004 - 2005 - M&O = $41,003,891 (16.409)

2005 - 2006 - M&O = $47,177,060 (16.409)

2006 - 2007 - M&O = $55,398,054 (16.409)

2007 - 2008 - M&O = $71,801,202 (18.909)

2008 - 2009 - M&O = $75,563,872 (18.909)

2009 - 2010 - M&O = $69,968,652 (18.909)

2010 - 2011 - M&O = $58,070,065 (18.909)

SO... looks like the taxes collected every year since 2002 went up(even with the rate rollback in 2003) until 2009-2010.

But were they truely tax increases?

Well, board minutes are only available on line to 2004 and the early minutes suck as far as details but I found:

8/10/2004 minutes - Hearing for proposed tax increase is in the minutes. (No minutes available)

7/19/2005 minutes - Hearing on millage rate is in the minutes, but no mention of 3 legal hearings. Unanimously Approved

7/25/2006 minutes - Budget is passed after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

(Note: Bond referendum also passed - will require bond rate increase)

7/24/2007 minutes - Budget is approved after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

8/12/2008 minutes - Millage rate approved after 3 public meetings (required for tax increase) Unanimously Approved

So, looks like most of the years were tax increases with unanimous votes.

Ya'll can argue over what the above proves. :)

Thanks for the research sound guy,Really proves a point that Dot made in an earlier post. I guess some of the naysayers will quit posting now

My understanding is that the reason Paulding does it a weekend later than everyone else is we get a big discount since it's not on the "4th" weekend.

Was not there this year but imagine the cost would be well over $35K. I am talking about the WHOLE cost, such as contracting for fire works, police, fire, EMT, setup, cleanup, etc.

Actually, if you sharpened your pencil I would think a big event like that would be around $75k or $80k, condsidering ALL expenses and efforts

the city of Hiram, Taylor Farms, and I might have HEARD White Oak all had them.

That's like.....zillions of dollars.

Dear Friends,

Over the past 3 1/2 years, I have served as a Paulding County School Board Member and School Board Chair for the last 1 1/2 years. I have worked hard to advocate for the students of Paulding County. For fifteen years prior to being elected to school board, I volunteered, substitute taught, and served in many capacities within the Paulding County School District. Anyone that knows me or has worked with me knows my passion for education and the students of the district. I have attended many events involving students and school system employees. I have sat in the office of many Georgia state legislators speaking on behalf of our students. Two years ago, a good friend and I took bags full of tongue depressors representing visits to the school nurse and placed them on the table just outside the House of Representatives to advocate for our students and our school nurses. I am NOT a politician but someone that takes my position very seriously and attempts to vote for the best interest of our students every time. The past 3 ½ years have been incredibly difficult with phenomenal growth followed by a serious decline in our economy and hiring two new superintendents. I have attempted to make an educated vote each and every time that would be in the best interest of the students of our district.

In addition to serving on the school board, I returned to college to complete my education and graduated May 13th of this year with a Bachelor of Science in English Education. I have always dreamed of being a classroom teacher and my involvement in the Paulding County School District inspired me to earn my degree.

Finally, the deadline to qualify to run again for school board was around the time I was finishing school. I was torn about qualifying because I wanted to teach and wasn’t sure I could do both and do them well. After the deadline passed and I graduated, I began to regret my decision. I couldn’t imagine not sitting on the school board as an advocate for our students. I inquired about running as an Independent candidate and decided to attempt to get the signatures to be on the November ballot. The deadline for the signatures is noon July 13th and it seems that I will fall short of the required number. In addition, I accepted a teaching job offer last week. I look at this as God closing one door and opening another in my life. I will press on and make a difference in the lives of the students I encounter in the classroom.

I vow to continue doing my job well and I will bow out gracefully at the end of this year with no regrets. Should you have any questions or concerns please see the Paulding County School District website where my phone number and email address are published. I will be happy to talk with any of you.

Thanks to my friends and family for supporting me. I wish Nick Chester the best of luck if he should go on to become the District 2, Paulding County School Board Member.

Sincerely,

Kathy West

the city of Hiram, Taylor Farms, and I might have HEARD White Oak all had them.

That's like.....zillions of dollars.

Distance the county budget VS City of Hiram. Two totally different budgets to spend on community events. If in fact which you MIGHT have heard about WO Park, mostly may have been private citizens shooting off some fireworks and not funded by taxpayers

Give them both barrels next time!yahoo.gif

I guess it will be a question not answered.

The cost was around $10,000 including fireworks and other entertainment instead of around $40,000 that some adjoining counties spent. This negotiated lower fee was becuse of the not prime time weekend after timing mostly.

Sort of like how much stuff costs December 26 compared to the 12/23 12/24 pricing.