Paulding.com

He was such an inspiration. He was a champion who publicly beat cancer. He and his foundation have raised millions in the fight against cancer. I always thought of his as amazing. Now I'm not so sure.

He has been stripped of all 7 titles and banned from competitive biking for life. Was he a doper? Now, there are many bikers who have said, "Yes." I haven't heard there is any physical evidence -- just testimony. To take away someone's lIfe accomplishments and reputation without physical evidence of wrong doing is extreme. If this is true, why didn't all these people speak up much earlier? There must be more to the story for the biking commissioners to exercise such extreme measures. I would be more agreeable and supportive of the decision if there were evidence, but all we have is testimony/rumors. Which by the way, would be more believable it weren't withheld for so long.

Granted, he was transfusing blood. It was his own blood that he withdrew on days he felt good. Is that considered doping? Blood isn't a banned substance. Are transfusions specifically banned? I really don't know. What about saline drips? Hasn't the practice of transfusions been used in sports for decades?

Regardless, the world will now miss out on all the good and awareness made possible by his foundation. The foundation will continue to exist but it will in no way be as successful as when Armstrong was still a champion. I hope he didn't do this. I'm not convinced either way.

Armstrong was the best cheater in a field full of cheaters. The French were pissed that he turned their premier event into a kids bike ride for 7 years and have gone after him while ignoring the others. Somehow they have enough influence to get other groups involved as well.

• Like 1

He was doping.

That's exactly why he decided to step back and not fight the charges.

He didn't address it this weekend at his organization.

You can bet your butt that if I had won fair and square, I would fight you to the death before you would take my title.

Too bad.

He was doping.

That's exactly why he decided to step back and not fight the charges.

He didn't address it this weekend at his organization.

You can bet your butt that if I had won fair and square, I would fight you to the death before you would take my title.

Too bad.

I don't know if he is guilty or not but he did fight it. For years. I don't think I would have fought it for that long. At some point you have to get on with your life and this fight had to be consuming much of his time and energy (and money). The people fighting against him were not going to stop until they got what they wanted, right or wrong. I would like to think he knows there is more to life that his titles.

I don't care a whit about any sport, never have. That being said, I have always loved Lance Armstrong. I found him to be inspirational, philanthropic and a tireless advocate for cancer sufferers and survivors.

This whole thing makes me very sad, as I'm sure it does many others.

I read the report....the amount of evidence against him is huge. They have loads of former team memebers who are not just pointing the finger, they admit to cheating with him and gave the details as to how they got away with it for so long. No chance he was clean.

I read the report....the amount of evidence against him is huge. They have loads of former team memebers who are not just pointing the finger, they admit to cheating with him and gave the details as to how they got away with it for so long. No chance he was clean.

Then he and all those former team mates should be out. He could also be a scape goat handy for the ones who were caught. They knew Lance was a target so he was handy to put the blame on. Could be either way.

I say lets start leagues for the roid heads, let them all poison themselves. It can be like the WWE of football, cycling, baseball etc... . That way we not only wager on the immediate entertainment, we can wage bets on life spans, organ failures, strokes and so on. We get the upfront fun of massive people brutalizing each other then long term we have them do reality TV so we can watch them come a part. America's two favorite past times, sports and reality TV train wrecks all on steroids, how much better could the boob tube get!

Edited by bh67
  • Like 1

Then he and all those former team mates should be out. He could also be a scape goat handy for the ones who were caught. They knew Lance was a target so he was handy to put the blame on. Could be either way.

Several of those testifying have also had titles stripped and been banned themselves.

Also, it is not just steroids or other substances as much as it was blood doping. The easy way is using EPO which stimulates the growth of red blood cells but can be detectable. The more sophisticated and expensive method which is alleged that Armstrong used was a transfusion which can go undetected by current tests. That means blood is taken from the body and the red blood cells are separated and stored. The body is given time to naturally replace the lost blood and the stored red blood cells are injected back into the system just before competition giving an the body the ability to carry more oxygen to the muscles.

So, it is not a simple as saying "there is no positive steroids test" so he must be innocent.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

He was cheating and he was caught, bottom line. Was anyone else doing it too? Probably, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that Lance Armstrong cheated. It doesn't make anyone else any more or any less guilty of the same thing. HE was cheating, got caught and is paying the price, a price he put on his own head by doing something very wrong and he knew it. Was he made a scapegoat? Maybe. Was he made an example of? Sure. But he did it, the evidence is too great to ignore and he deserves whatever punishment he gets. He destroyed his own legacy, no sympathy here.

Lance did not win 7 TDF Titles simply because he was doping. He won them because he is a outstanding athlete. Look at the time gaps for all his wins. His closes win was a 1 minute time gap. Majority of them was 5 minutes or more. And he was competing against other riders who were also doping.

Anyone that says he was not doping is only fooling themselves but it does not take away from the fact that he is a tremendously gifted athlete.

Those who follow professional bicycling know that all of the professionals are doping. It is just a given in the sport. Lance was no better at it then anyone else. The USADA had a vendetta against him because he was winning so many races but they could not prove he was doping because he passed all his tests despite being the most tested athlete.

Another thing you have to ask, if Lance and the US Postal team was so good at hiding the doping how come Flyod Landis got caught after his win in 2006? Apparently Flyod was out sick on the day of the how to pass your drug test class.

Lance did not win 7 TDF Titles simply because he was doping. He won them because he is a outstanding athlete. Look at the time gaps for all his wins. His closes win was a 1 minute time gap. Majority of them was 5 minutes or more. And he was competing against other riders who were also doping.

Anyone that says he was not doping is only fooling themselves but it does not take away from the fact that he is a tremendously gifted athlete.

Those who follow professional bicycling know that all of the professionals are doping. It is just a given in the sport. Lance was no better at it then anyone else. The USADA had a vendetta against him because he was winning so many races but they could not prove he was doping because he passed all his tests despite being the most tested athlete.

Another thing you have to ask, if Lance and the US Postal team was so good at hiding the doping how come Flyod Landis got caught after his win in 2006? Apparently Flyod was out sick on the day of the how to pass your drug test class.

So, because everybody else was doing it and he's a great athlete, it makes cheating OK? Good Lord, what a crock. Cheating could make just about anybody a great athlete and doping just makes you a cheating athlete.

I originally thought all the bru-ha-ha was about taking steroids, growth hormones, etc.

I did not find out what "Doping" was until just recently.

And I was unaware of the the transfusion procedures, or the fact they were illegal. and common place.

Bottom line, is what is the harm? Steroids I understand, they will really mess you up later in life. But I have not found anything detrimental to having your own blood refined, and given back to you before a race.

I always found Lance to be a great athelete to be emulated and am sorry to see him go down this way after all he has done for cycling, cancer research, self help with overcoming his cancer, etc.

Seems to be blown way out of proportion, but then again, I am not familiar with all the sport rules and regulations for cycling.

• Like 1

I originally thought all the bru-ha-ha was about taking steroids, growth hormones, etc.

I did not find out what "Doping" was until just recently.

And I was unaware of the the transfusion procedures, or the fact they were illegal. and common place.

Bottom line, is what is the harm? Steroids I understand, they will really mess you up later in life. But I have not found anything detrimental to having your own blood refined, and given back to you before a race.

Because it gives an unnatural advantage just as any hormone or steroid does. It introduces more red blood cells to carry more oxygen than the body is naturally capable of which minimizes muscle fatigue and increases stamina.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

Seems pretty silly to take things away YEARS after they were won. I know it makes for a good show, but to me its like if you quit a job, and 10 years later they decided to make it so they fired you instead.

So, because everybody else was doing it and he's a great athlete, it makes cheating OK? Good Lord, what a crock. Cheating could make just about anybody a great athlete and doping just makes you a cheating athlete.

I never said it was ok. I merely pointed out the fact that doping in professional bike racing is a given. Did Lance need to do it to win, probably not. with or without the doping he is still a tremendous athlete. You don't win by over 7 minutes just from doping.

The USADA had an obvious vendetta against Lance which is why they went after him so many years after he retired. They could serve the sport a lot better by going after current athletes instead of wasting time with the past.

Asked yourself why they did not award the titles to the runner ups? Because they know they were doping also.