Paulding.com

SO ROY BARNES ACCOUNTANT MISSED $7000........

So last night FOX 5 is doing a story about how Roy's accountant erronously claimed

a deduction on a house of Roy's...........

Barnes, the former governor and this year’s Democratic nominee, acknowledged Thursday that he had improperly claimed tax deductions in 2008 and 2009 on property he no longer owned. Without the deductions, Barnes said, he would have owed about $7,500 more in federal and state income taxes for those years – three-tenths of 1 percent more than the $2.6 million he has already paid.

SOOOOOOOO, everybody gets their panties in a wad and they go through all of Roy's tax records.

But Barnes’ accountant found another mistake: a misstatement of a $135,000 investment loss as a $34,000 gain. Barnes lost money when he sold shares of a Habersham County bank in 2008, Runge said, but his tax return inaccurately counted income.

And, this is where it gets good!

Consequently, Barnes overpaid by about $30,000, Runge said – more than enough to offset underpayments caused by the other mistakes.

Barnes’ accountant is preparing amended returns.

I just busted out laughing!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SOURCE

• Like 3

I've been waiting for Pat's report on this one -- I guess he has been busy and could not get to it.

Of course, you know that the Barne's group had been busy looking to uncover dirt before anyone else did.

I wonder if he is looking for a new accountant?

• Like 1

I am still planning to vote for Barnes even though I typically vote Republican. The first time I laid eyes on Nathan Deal something seemed amiss about him and this was before all his financial business came out. He just "looks" like a snake in the grass.

• Like 2

So last night FOX 5 is doing a story about how Roy's accountant erronously claimed

Barnes, the former governor and this year’s Democratic nominee, acknowledged Thursday that he had improperly claimed tax deductions in 2008 and 2009 on property he no longer owned. Without the deductions, Barnes said, he would have owed about $7,500 more in federal and state income taxes for those years – three-tenths of 1 percent more than the $2.6 million he has already paid.

SOOOOOOOO, everybody gets their panties in a wad and they go through all of Roy's tax records.

But Barnes’ accountant found another mistake: a misstatement of a $135,000 investment loss as a $34,000 gain. Barnes lost money when he sold shares of a Habersham County bank in 2008, Runge said, but his tax return inaccurately counted income.

Consequently, Barnes overpaid by about $30,000, Runge said – more than enough to offset underpayments caused by the other mistakes.

SOURCE

So, somebody was looking for dirt on Roy and found him $30,000.00 instead......now thats a hoot!!!!!!!!

So if Deal has an error, he's a crook.

Barnes has an error, it's an accountant's mistake.

Gotcha drinks.gif

BTW, during MY IRS audit, I was gently informed by the IRS rep that any error on the part of my accountant was MY error. pardon.gif

Bigfoot ... I love you for flogging Barnes for overpaying his taxes :) That is just too rich.

pubby

PS: The problem with Deal's deals are that his were failures to disclose. Hiding things. That Barnes made all of his tax returns public opening himself to discovery of an error is, comparatively night and day in comparison to Deal. That Barns made an error when he sought deductions on a piece of property that he used to own but the accountant didn't pickup on the sale (to his son?) was not trying to hide anything. That he also disclosed the sale of bank stock that the accountant inaccurately charged as income instead of it being a capital loss shows that simply he was human and that he delegated this task. Again, the issue is night and day - full disclosure with errors vs. effective non-disclosure (front page only) ... is the difference.

Why did you start a new thread on it when it was being discussed in the thread about Deal? Pubby does address this there for the poster who asked BTW. I guess "King Roy" deserves a thread all his own, huh? People who live in glass houses should not cast stones. Think someone said that about Barnes last night after this came out. I am still voting for Deal. He is the better of the two choices for Georgia. Oh, and he will win.smile.gif

That's correct. The taxpayer is responsible for the return; not the preparer. The preparer is responsible for preparing an accurate return based on what the client gives them. We generally ask the client if there are any changes from prior years such as rental property ownership, etc. BUT the taxpayer has the responsibility of filing an accurate return. You should always, but always, review your return.

Gotcha drinks.gif

BTW, during MY IRS audit, I was gently informed by the IRS rep that any error on the part of my accountant was MY error. pardon.gif

Yes they do, however, Barnes is running many ads calling out Deal for the very same thing..........

It's not the same thing, Roy didn't cheat. Deal is a cheater and a liar.

It actually backfired, and Roy is getting some money back.

:lol:

That's correct. The taxpayer is responsible for the return; not the preparer. The preparer is responsible for preparing an accurate return based on what the client gives them. We generally ask the client if there are any changes from prior years such as rental property ownership, etc. BUT the taxpayer has the responsibility of filing an accurate return. You should always, but always, review your return.

Roy didn't duck his responsibility, anybody with any sense knows that even if the preparer makes a mistake, the tax is owed by the individual.

I'm glad they did it, it backfired, and Roy is getting more than enough BACK to pay for what he owes!

Try again!!!

Bigfoot ... I love you for flogging Barnes for overpaying his taxes :) That is just too rich.

pubby

PS: The problem with Deal's deals are that his were failures to disclose. Hiding things. That Barnes made all of his tax returns public opening himself to discovery of an error is, comparatively night and day in comparison to Deal. That Barns made an error when he sought deductions on a piece of property that he used to own but the accountant didn't pickup on the sale (to his son?) was not trying to hide anything. That he also disclosed the sale of bank stock that the accountant inaccurately charged as income instead of it being a capital loss shows that simply he was human and that he delegated this task. Again, the issue is night and day - full disclosure with errors vs. effective non-disclosure (front page only) ... is the difference.

BAM! Right on!

Oh and did I tell you I voted for Roy/

You people go ahead and vote for another liar and cheater..............

Gotcha drinks.gif

Deal didn't have an error, his problem is a lack of disclosure. And he's not about to submit his tax returns for public scrutiny.

And everybody with any sense knows that even if your tax preparer makes a mistake, the tax problem is still your problem. ;)

And everybody with any sense knows that even if your tax preparer makes a mistake, the tax problem is still your problem. wink.gif

Psst! Mention that to Pubby. He's the one that keeps blaming Roy's accountant. (And I truly do not care about Roy's personal tax returns.)

I think how it is funny that you can try to use the system to get a computer repaired by insurance and if you get caught then it is a crime.

In this case the system was used (to the tune of $7000 cash in hand) but it is not a crime because the guy "reports and corrects" the "error" before it was found out by others. Bottomline for me is that the intent was to cheat on the taxes. Probably had he not been running of office then he would not have been up late at night "just going over some old tax returns" because he couldn't sleep.

I think how it is funny that you can try to use the system to get a computer repaired by insurance and if you get caught then it is a crime.

In this case the system was used (to the tune of $7000 cash in hand) but it is not a crime because the guy "reports and corrects" the "error" before it was found out by others. Bottomline for me is that the intent was to cheat on the taxes. Probably had he not been running of office then he would not have been up late at night "just going over some old tax returns" because he couldn't sleep.

Keep trying.............

Yes they do, however, Barnes is running many ads calling out Deal for the very same thing..........

Barnes fessed up to the mistake, and corrected it. For that matter, the mistake was one of overpaying, not underpaying. Barnes has been critical of the fact that Deal has not released his returns in full, which he has.

Taxes is a broad issue, and what Roy is calling Deal out on is different from this.

SOURCE

Girl what are you doing starting a flame topic like this :rofl:

Barnes fessed up to the mistake, and corrected it. For that matter, the mistake was one of overpaying, not underpaying. Barnes has been critical of the fact that Deal has not released his returns in full, which he has.

Taxes is a broad issue, and what Roy is calling Deal out on is different from this.

Deal has already released more than is required. Barnes is making a big deal out of nothing.

mistake if he "fesses up to"

would it have been a criminal act should he have been audited?

WSB showed copies of the return, and the piece of property which was in error was along the same strip of land where he does own a bunch of different parcels. They missed the address of the one in question. A relatively honest mistake, and the IRS is generally very lenient on those.

And even more so if the amended return also picks up another error 4 times larger in Barnes' favor.

At least he didn't forget a $2million dollar loan due next month that according to Deal's own records he does not have the assests to cover.

And Roy paid one hell of a tax bill.

Deal paid "chump change" on income of $400,000.

Bottomline for me is that the intent was to cheat on the taxes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are a real hoot. So let me get this straight, Magnum PI, Roy Barnes paid over $2M in taxes but this last $7000 just pushed him over the edge to criminal behavior? Really? You're trying to sell that bullsh*t as fact? Perhaps you and your super-ninja fascist tea bagger posse will buy into that ridiculous idea of yours, but to the rest of us evil moderates such accusations are childish at best.

mrnn

The difference between Roy and Deal is that Roy is successful, Deal is a failure.

The current GOP/Tea Party frowns on anyone with half a brain. Looks no further than Christine O'Donnel who considers the fact that she didn't go to an Ivy League school as some sort of positive qualification for the US Senate. They're absolutely out of their minds, these people.

mrnn

• Like 1

Deal has already released more than is required. Barnes is making a big deal out of nothing.

Do you really believe that?

You must know that the Barnes camp knows something and they know Deal CAN'T release all of his tax info or the voters would see it. There is something there.

The difference between Roy and Deal is that Roy is successful, Deal is a failure.

True dat!

Girl what are you doing starting a flame topic like this :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

You know me, a little excitement never hurt anybody 8)

=@

It's not the same thing, Roy didn't cheat. Deal is a cheater and a liar.

It actually backfired, and Roy is getting some money back.

Thats priceless!!!! Deal lied and omitted almost 6 million on his disclosure statement and Lord knows what else and while trying to root out wrong doing by Roy, he paid $30,000 too much. And people are still voting for Deal and Roy is still the bad guy. Amazing!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Thats priceless!!!! Deal lied and omitted almost 6 million on his disclosure statement and Lord knows what else and while trying to root out wrong doing by Roy, he paid $30,000 too much. And people are still voting for Deal and Roy is still the bad guy. Amazing!!!!!!!

You can't fix stupid. ;)

The newspaper said it was an accountant who had "volunteered" for Deal's campaign that had been scrutinizing Barnes's returns and found the error - personally I think Deal should probably have this volunteer go over his own finances to see what else he may have 'forgotten' to disclose.

Insurance fraud is a crime, period, and not really something one can do 'by mistake'.

Psst! Mention that to Pubby. He's the one that keeps blaming Roy's accountant. (And I truly do not care about Roy's personal tax returns.)

Madea:

The way the laws are written, one can be fined for failure to pay taxes when due and a penalty and interest can accrue. However, there is a vast gulf of difference between a tax error that might result in this kind of circumstance and tax fraud. Barnes is totally in the clear because he actually paid more than was legitimately due so no penalties; he just loses the interest on the 23,000 the gov't owed him.

That it was an accountant's error also speaks to the issue of criminal culpability. To be guilty of tax fraud the government has to prove that you had the intent to defraud the government of the money due them by misstating relevant fact. While there was an error in the presentation of relevant fact in Barnes case, that his accountant was responsible for the error makes is literally impossible for the government to prove that Barnes was conspiring to avoid taxes.

The formation of intent to commit a crime is essential to any criminal prosecution. Indeed, if it can be proven you intend to commit a crime - say have the plans for the alarm system at the bank, notes on the locations of the guards, the timing of large transfers of cash, recordings of you talking with others planning the heist, you can be arrested and convicted of the crime of conspiracy to commit bank robbery.

Intent is key to criminal behavior. The lack of intent is the basis for the insanity defense against murder. If someone is truly incapable of forming intent to commit murder, they are innocent of the crime even though someone may die as a result of their actions.

The entire record, including the $2.2 million that Barnes paid in taxes and the mishandling of the loss (stead of income) on the sale of the bank stock all point to an absolute lack of intent to commit tax fraud. Furthering that opinion is that the home had been owned by Barnes prior to 2007 and the list of properties was simply carried forward to the next year taxes because the accountant (obviously) missed the change in ownership in the process of preparing the next years taxes.

pubby

Pubby, all I can speak to is my own personal experience having just lived to tell about an IRS audit of my 2007 and 2008 returns. According to the IRS the accountant did make an error which will cost ME approx $250. However, that doesn't absolve me of the guilt of the error or the payments due. Guess who's responsibility it is to review the return prepared by the accountant? MINE! Does the IRS think I attempted to defraud them? No. They didn't even suggest that. All they really care about is if I pay the $250, including the penalties and interest which will continue to accrue daily until they receive the check. Oh, and for the record, the IRS rep I had was awesome!

BTW, I haven't even looked at Barnes' disclosed tax returns. Not even the one that is the topic of this thread.