Paulding.com

So tell us, How are you going to vote

Things Change ... has your vote changed?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Voters are being asked to renew the SPLOST (one cent sales tax). How are you leaning?

• For
    • Against
    • Undecided
  2. 2. District 19 House of Reps

• Will Avery (D)
    • Paulette Braddock ®
    • Outside the district and can't vote/won't vote
  3. 3. Georgia Governor

• John Monds (L)
    • Nathan Deal ®
    • Roy Barnes (D)
    • Won't vote in this race
  4. 4. Lt. Governor

• Casey Cagel ®
    • Dan Barber (L)
    • Carol Porter (D)
    • undecided
  5. 5. US Senate

• Michael Thurmond (D)
    • Johnny Isakson ®
    • Chuck Donnovan (L)
    • undecided
  6. 6. Senate District 31

• Tracy Bennett (D)
    • Bill Heath ®
  7. 7. Senate District 30

• Pat Rhudy (D)
    • Bill Hamrick ®
  8. 8. Have you voted early?

• I have already voted
    • I haven't voted yet but will vote early
    • I'm waiting until election day because ... well things happen and people aren't always what we thought.
    • I plan to vote on election day
    • I don't plan to vote at all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I voted early, and I voted NO on all the amendments, NO on SPLOST and I voted for Roy Barnes.

You are right. But it seems like the Paulding County Board of Education has become co-dependant. The more we give the more they want. Maybe they should do like the rest of us and learn to live with

Ok, went out at lunch in Cobb County were I actually have a place to work, where they are working to correct their traffic problems, where they have good parks & police protection (I could keep go

I sincerely hope that the folks that are voting against the renewal of the Splost don't go whining when their property taxes go up again. We are already paying it and it is the fairest tax--even folks that don't own property or live in the county pay it.

But then again, some folks love to go to Cobb and Douglas County and pay their extra tax for them. :ninja:

I sincerely hope that the folks that are voting against the renewal of the Splost don't go whining when their property taxes go up again. We are already paying it and it is the fairest tax--even folks that don't own property or live in the county pay it.

But then again, some folks love to go to Cobb and Douglas County and pay their extra tax for them. :ninja:

Talk about hitting the nail on the head......good job!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You are right. But it seems like the Paulding County Board of Education has become co-dependant. The more we give the more they want. Maybe they should do like the rest of us and learn to live within their means.

What I can't believe is that people would vote for a criminal and a crook.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we do not have many of the stores offered by both Cobb and Douglas. I grocery shop here, but beyond that not much is bought here. I try to use the JcPenny here if I am buying from them, but we just do not have a lot of the bigger retailers that I like to shop. I wish we had something more along the lines of The Avenues, not necessarily a mall.

Unfortunately we do not have many of the stores offered by both Cobb and Douglas. I grocery shop here, but beyond that not much is bought here. I try to use the JcPenny here if I am buying from them, but we just do not have a lot of the bigger retailers that I like to shop. I wish we had something more along the lines of The Avenues, not necessarily a mall.

I think I keep Target in business

but yeah I clothes shop in Douglas or Cobb

As explained at the last Chamber of Commerce meeting, if the SPLOST RENEWAL passes, property taxes will go down. I voted early and voted YES. A sales tax is much fairer than a property tax.

And yet some folks still don't understand.

I would much rather pay a few extra pennies now and then than cough up several hundred dollars at once!!!

As explained at the last Chamber of Commerce meeting, if the SPLOST RENEWAL passes, property taxes will go down. I voted early and voted YES. A sales tax is much fairer than a property tax.

You better get that in writing. I have NEVER seen a tax or a toll go down.

• Like 1

I agree if the BOE says it will not happen then you better bet the BOC will make it happen or vice versa.

and yep I am one of the ones who shop in other counties except for groceries, we also eat out in other counties I have seen their shopping centers, hospitals, eating places, and schools, and they put their tax money to great use.

we have been spending a lot of time at Floyd medical center with a friend and that hospital is amazing, staff and building.. so I do not mind my money going toward helping those places.

Did you beleive them when they said the bond would only raise your taxes 25 dollars also?

It is in writing, in the SPLOST wording in the ballot. The first $50 something million will be used to make payments on the existing bond debt.

And in a way, you are correct, the bond payments will not change, just the SPLOST will be making them instead of the property owners for five years.

The way I read it, the bond payments are the primary use, so only if there is extra funding will that be available to the board. Now, granted, the wording of the second part is bothersome as it appears to be a blank check for just about anything, but unless the economy recovers a LOT in the next five years, I doubt there will much collected over the bond payments.

Each component of the property tax can only speak for their part. The E-SPLOST will make the school tax portion of your prooerty tax bill go down. The TOTAL bill is not under their (the school board) control.

:rofl:

i have ocean front property in Iowa for sale dirt cheap - you interested?

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

Sucker!!

Go down just like they always have!

How many times can you fall for that? Or how long have you been here? Maybe you really don't know from previous experiance. Sorry.

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

Sucker!!

Go down just like they always have!

How many times can you fall for that? Or how long have you been here? Maybe you really don't know from previous experiance. Sorry.

I believe she has been here all of her life, as has most of her family. They are very active in the community and hold some very impressive positions. She is probably very well versed on this matter as well as many, many other matters concerning our community.

I believe she has been here all of her life, as has most of her family. They are very active in the community and hold some very impressive positions. She is probably very well versed on this matter as well as many, many other matters concerning our community.

Can you remember property tax ever going down for any reason other than property losing value. I don't remember any sales tax or bond actually making property tax go down.

And the BOE have a history of not being good stewards of taxpayer money. Although I will admit that it was while Paulette and company were on the BOE.

I'm still undecided on how I will vote on this, but my gut feeling is a NO.

Can you remember property tax ever going down for any reason other than property losing value. I don't remember any sales tax or bond actually making property tax go down.

And the BOE have a history of not being good stewards of taxpayer money. Although I will admit that it was while Paulette and company were on the BOE.

What I CAN remember is that since I got out of college, got married and moved here in 1980, Paulding County has experienced tremendous growth. We have consistently been among the fastest growing counties in the entire United States and with that growth, obviously comes growing pains.

I dislike tax increases just as much as anyone else; however, I have enough sense to realize they are sometimes a very necessary evil.

What I CAN remember is that since I got out of college, got married and moved here in 1980, Paulding County has experienced tremendous growth. We have consistently been among the fastest growing counties in the entire United States and with that growth, obviously comes growing pains.

I dislike tax increases just as much as anyone else; however, I have enough sense to realize they are sometimes a very necessary evil.

I'm not disputing anything you are saying here. And I do think that a user tax is a much more fair way to collect funds than an earner or owner tax. But my question was "do you ever remember property tax decreasing for any reason other than loss of property value."

I'm not disputing anything you are saying here. And I do think that a user tax is a much more fair way to collect funds than an earner or owner tax. But my question was "do you ever remember property tax decreasing for any reason other than loss of property value."

I don't remember them decreasing for any other reason and I agree that the user tax is a very fair way to collect funds.

Ah, but in all those previous SPLOST votes, they had specific items they were going to buy with the money. This is the first time since I've been here (since 2000) that I've seen the primary task of the SPLOST as being tax relief. I see this as the BOE finally seeing reality. They knew that the "For the Children" was going to fall flat this time, they can't claim they need any more building money, they are still chewing through the bond money and matching state funds. So what to do with the SPLOST?

They could just let it expire, but instead they are giving us a choice:

1) Continue the SPLOST, using the proceeds to make the School Bond payments for the five years it's active as property tax relief.

or

2) End the SPLOST, and the Paulding Property tax owners pay the bond payments themselves on the their tax bills.

The board *may* get a little money at the end of the new SPLOST if it collects over the $57 million mark, but that will be several years down the line, if at all,(I think the last SPLOST is only raising $60 million or so?), but they are not getting much out of it so its more for the taxpayer than the board. (Unless Paulding's economy suddenly takes off flying, but I don't see that happening unless we get some major industry moving in here)

This vote seems to boil down to having the property owners paying for the bond payments for the next 5 years or having everyone that shops here pay the bond payments for the next 5 years.

Also, I would consider that the bond payments are fixed $$$, and can't be changed. The SPLOST generates $$$ directly, while the property tax is based on the property value in the county. If tax base values drop again, the millage will have to go up to cover the payments. With the SPLOST, the bond payment should always be covered.

Myself, I'm leaning towards the SPLOST. I'd rather have definite extra amount of cash in my hands in November (well, in reality, have my escrow reduced each month) than be forced to shop in Paulding to try to recover my tax "savings". (Which really, won't happen, even without the SPLOST, Paulding's rate will be 7%, the same as Cobb's rate now)

Ah, but in all those previous SPLOST votes, they had specific items they were going to buy with the money. This is the first time since I've been here (since 2000) that I've seen the primary task of the SPLOST as being tax relief. I see this as the BOE finally seeing reality. They knew that the "For the Children" was going to fall flat this time, they can't claim they need any more building money, they are still chewing through the bond money and matching state funds. So what to do with the SPLOST?

They could just let it expire, but instead they are giving us a choice:

1) Continue the SPLOST, using the proceeds to make the School Bond payments for the five years it's active as property tax relief.

or

2) End the SPLOST, and the Paulding Property tax owners pay the bond payments themselves on the their tax bills.

The board *may* get a little money at the end of the new SPLOST if it collects over the $57 million mark, but that will be several years down the line, if at all,(I think the last SPLOST is only raising $60 million or so?), but they are not getting much out of it so its more for the taxpayer than the board. (Unless Paulding's economy suddenly takes off flying, but I don't see that happening unless we get some major industry moving in here)

This vote seems to boil down to having the property owners paying for the bond payments for the next 5 years or having everyone that shops here pay the bond payments for the next 5 years.

Also, I would consider that the bond payments are fixed $$$, and can't be changed. The SPLOST generates $$$ directly, while the property tax is based on the property value in the county. If tax base values drop again, the millage will have to go up to cover the payments. With the SPLOST, the bond payment should always be covered.

Myself, I'm leaning towards the SPLOST. I'd rather have definite extra amount of cash in my hands in November (well, in reality, have my escrow reduced each month) than be forced to shop in Paulding to try to recover my tax "savings". (Which really, won't happen, even without the SPLOST, Paulding's rate will be 7%, the same as Cobb's rate now)

Thanks for educating me SG. Good points.

Ok, went out at lunch in Cobb County were I actually have a place to work, where they are working to correct their traffic problems, where they have good parks & police protection (I could keep going here) to check, and the sale tax on my purchases is 6%.

The Splost may keep Paulding from raising your taxes as much, for a year, but I'll bet you a gold monkey you will not see a property tax reduction from the Splost tax, and it will still be in the next year, and following years when you do get tax increases.

I was raised here, my grandparents lived here, as also my Great-grand parents. I have seen this a time or two.

But it is a free country, believe and vote as you believe best.

• Like 2

Over the past several years I have been strongly opposed to the way that the BOE and the school board have raised our property taxes, and spent our tax dollars.

Since the $125 million dollar school bond was crammed down our throats in 2007, I became very leery of anything that the BOE or the school board attempted to do, and, have been very vocal of some of their actions.

In the July 2007 primary election the citizens of Paulding County spoke loud and clear about the tax and spend habits of the School Board, And. elected three new school board members. Since that time I have seen a complete change in the demeanor of the school board and the manner in which our tax dollars are being spent. I am sure that most of you are aware that most property values went down on average around 17 % this past tax year, And as a result the BOE had Millions less in revenue coming in, Yet they held the millage rate at the same level as last year, And the previous year. Granted, there were Millions in stimulus dollars, given to the Paulding County School District to help out, but there was no property tax increase.

When the County (BOC) SPLOST was up for renewal earlier this year, I spoke with some Commissioners, and posted here on P.COM That the SPLOST should include payments for the Bond on the Court House, and reduce the bond millage rate by that amount. That did not occur, and the SPLOST still passed.

I also talked with some school board members, about using the upcoming school SPLOST to pay for the $125 million dollar school bond. The BOE and the school board not only adopted that idea, But went further, And agreed to use this SPLOST to pay for the past three bond issues, And to reduce the millage rate by the full 2.9 mils that is now being collected for all the bonds that have been issued, as the first priority, Beginning next tax year.

I listened to School superintendent Cole and Stephen Crew address the Board of Commissioners on this issue and I am convinced that these SPLOST dollars will be used to pay off in part, The bond debts for the next five years, And a property owner would benefit from this by paying less property taxes

• Like 1

I don't remember them decreasing for any other reason and I agree that the user tax is a very fair way to collect funds.

So do you REALLY think it will decrease if SPLOST is passed? Face it, they have no reason to do so other then their word, and a politicans word is worthless.

So do you REALLY think it will decrease if SPLOST is passed? Face it, they have no reason to do so other then their word, and a politicans word is worthless.

Not entirely true.

SPLOST funds must be used as specified in the referendum, and the wording is pretty clear they will use the fist $57million collected to pay the bonds for 5 years. They have to be accountable on this.

Not entirely true.

SPLOST funds must be used as specified in the referendum, and the wording is pretty clear they will use the fist $57million collected to pay the bonds for 5 years. They have to be accountable on this.

LOL, for REAL. In writing is the *only* way I'd trust 'em. :)

LOL, for REAL. In writing is the *only* way I'd trust 'em. smile.gif

So they pay the bonds with the first 57 Million and will still need more.

No where in there, is it going to put into writing, that your taxes will go down.

Wake up and read between the lies.

Edited by krwills

Ok, went out at lunch in Cobb County were I actually have a place to work, where they are working to correct their traffic problems, where they have good parks & police protection (I could keep going here) to check, and the sale tax on my purchases is 6%.

The Splost may keep Paulding from raising your taxes as much, for a year, but I'll bet you a gold monkey you will not see a property tax reduction from the Splost tax, and it will still be in the next year, and following years when you do get tax increases.

I was raised here, my grandparents lived here, as also my Great-grand parents. I have seen this a time or two.

But it is a free country, believe and vote as you believe best.

Since Cobb County is such a wonderful place and they seem to do everything the way you like it--why are you living in Paulding????

• Like 1

I thought it was in writing on the BOE web site,Am I wrong??

I know the slide show presented at the chamber had it up there

Like you Whitey, I thought the wording was pretty succinct. The first $57 millions serves the bond. If the bond payment has been serviced, the BOE cannot bill us for it, at least for the 5 years of this SPLOST unless the proceeds collected are insufficient to pay the bond.

I know from past SPLOSTS, the money must be used as outlined in the language on the referendum.

So they pay the bonds with the first 57 Million and will still need more.

No where in there, is it going to put into writing, that your taxes will go down.

Wake up and read between the lies.

Ok, obviously there is something that you are misunderstanding:

The School Bond payments are NOW (in 2010) 2.963 mils. This is on your tax bill this year. Have a look. That part of my tax bill is over $200. This is calculated by taking all the bond payments that school board has to make and dividing by the tax base to get a millage rate that is used to charge everyone in the county their part of the payments.

Now, IF the SPLOST is passed, those bond payments will be made using the SPLOST *instead* of property taxes.

Therefore, since the funds are raised by SPLOST, the funds needed to pay bonds with property taxes is zero, so the School bond millage rate is zero, so you pay zero on your tax bill for school bonds. The taxes will be reduced by whatever is on your bill next to "SCHOOL BND".

According to the web site presentation, they will have no choice in the matter. The bonds are non-callable, meaning they cannot pay them off early, so they can't use the SPLOST + Property tax to double pay them. The only thing they can do is make the payments. They can't sell any more bonds unless the county votes them permission, so that is a separate issue. So the bond rate will go to zero as long as the SPLOST can make the payments.

Hopefully no one is claiming that this will reduce the School M&O rates...they would be wrong. The SPLOST will not be able to be used for M&O. IF the SPLOST raises more than the 57 million, THEN the Board will be able to use that money for other projects or purchases, but I don't see the economy recovering enough to make it any kind of windfall for the board.

It should be made clear that at the end of the five years (2016), we'll have to take up that payment again unless the SPLOST is renewed for that purpose again. (Which I doubt, they will need construction money again by then.)