2010 County Tax Bill

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SoundGuy You killed this thread by posting the FACTS, Good post

Yep, it's less because your house is worth less. Again, I ask you as I asked Feelip and he didn't answer. How would you feel about this tax INCREASE if your property value didn't drop??? They are c

Well, if we want to call a spade a spade, then we'd all have to agree that the *BOE* needs the big bow, they are close to 2/3s of our tax bill and they kept the rate the same (pretty much had to, they

Thanks!!

Down over $500 this year, lowest it's been since the big jump in 2007. If the state had not jumped the state taxes by $300 last year we'd been down two years in a row!

On another note, I don't think I like the new on-line system as well as the old one, as I recall, the old system would let you see the individual charges for county, BOE, Bonds etc didn't it? I don't see any way to do that with this system. Has anyone been able to do that?

I have put everything in I could possibly put in and mine says 0 balance

you gotta click the history button or whatever on the right side to get your 2010 number.

Down $656.00

Now where are all those people mad that the taxes went up this year?

I support what David Austin and the commissioners are trying to do by maintaining services but tightening up in all areas possible!

But if the rest of you want to listen to the current bunch at the GOP taken over by the Gallaways - with Jerry Sherrin standing in the wings waiting for his come back to run again- keep drinking the Kool-Aid that a misinformed group on here have been pushing about David and others.

I'll be sure and not spend that $100 "savings" all in one place. Wow, that's awesome. Property value decreases 50%, property tax decreases 6.5%. I'm really feeling that "change".

This year's taxes are 15% more than they were in 2006 when my home reached the height of it's value.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Oh, yeah one went down the others went up. Paying more in taxes this year than ever before............... :angry2: Property has devalued much more than that. Heck I don't think we could get what we paid for our house when we built it in 1993. I don't think anything is selling unless it's dirt cheap.

Now who are the folks happy about this millage increase?? When are they going to come back out (after 6 months of calling already) and fix our road?? When are they going to put sewer out in Yorkville??

These guys just raised themselves out of the next election. Do they honestly think the people of Paulding Country are going to have a redo of the last group of folks???

Oh, yeah one went down the others went up. Paying more in taxes this year than ever before............... :angry2: Property has devalued much more than that. Heck I don't think we could get what we paid for our house when we built it in 1993. I don't think anything is selling unless it's dirt cheap.

Now who are the folks happy about this millage increase?? When are they going to come back out (after 6 months of calling already) and fix our road?? When are they going to put sewer out in Yorkville??

These guys just raised themselves out of the next election. Do they honestly think the people of Paulding Country are going to have a redo of the last group of folks???

Girl have I told you lately that I love you :pardon:

Oh, yeah one went down the others went up. Paying more in taxes this year than ever before............... angry.gif Property has devalued much more than that. Heck I don't think we could get what we paid for our house when we built it in 1993. I don't think anything is selling unless it's dirt cheap.

Appeal it right away! Something is wrong.

I just saved $2,500.00 and the county is able to maintain fire, police and other services. THANK YOU MR. AUSTIN and the rest of the BOC! Great job!

Here's part of my property tax bill for the last eight years. See if you can tell when Jerry was in office and you can see why think so little of him.

2003: $5,539.97

2004: $6,062.26

2005: $7,383.83

2006: $8,948.02

2007: $11,136.86

2008: $11,369.71

2009: $11,739.45

2010: $9,211.19

This article says it all...

Paulding Bungles Budget Hearings; Citizens Denied a Voice

August 25th

On August 10, the Paulding County Commission approved property tax rates to fund the FY-2011 budgets of the county and of the school system. While the school board held its millage rate steady, the County Commission approved a 14.3% increase in the M&O rate, from 6.65 to 7.60 mills.

On August 24, the Commission held a public hearing on the new budget; it is proposed to be approved at the Commission’s September 14 regular meeting.

“Hold on!” (I hear you, a mathematical millage rate advocate proclaim…) “You can’t know what the millage rate should be until after the portion of the budget that must be funded by property tax dollars is established! How can you approve a budget after approving the tax rate to fund it?”

You’re right. Because the correct method (generally) for calculating the millage rate is dividing the portion of the budget to be funded by tax dollars by the Net Tax Digest (`A` divided by `B` equals `C,` the millage rate), it is impossible to determine what `C` should be until you first establish what `A` is.

But what the Paulding Commission did was much, much worse. By adopting the tax rate prior to approving the budget, the County Commission denied to the taxpayers of Paulding an opportunity to influence and affect the cost of their own government.

In other words, the Paulding Commission violated the First Amendment right of the public to petition government.

The purpose of the budget hearing process is to give the citizenry an open, transparent and (hopefully) meaningful opportunity to examine and analyze the proposed cost of government for the coming year and, if necessary, to cause their elected representatives to reconsider and revise that cost.

A budget hearing is rendered meaningless if the rate at which the property owner will be taxed to pay the cost of government has already been established! At its September 14 meeting, the Paulding County Commission could vote to cut the budget by 10%, 50% or even 100% and it would not change the property owner’s tax bill by a single penny!

The county’s ordinances require the Commission to adopt a budget at its first meeting in August each year, but this year’s budget will be approved over a month later. There is no nefarious reason for the Commission’s failure to follow it’s own charter and violate a basic constitutional right.

The cause is incompetence, pure and simple.

Making excuses… where the Paulding Commission Excels

Although totally irrelevant to the weighty issue of constitutional rights violations, the reasons offered yesterday by the Commission for its failure provide a little comedic relief.

At yesterday’s hearing, Finance Director Tabitha Pollard admitted under questioning by activist Tom Milanese that the county had missed a statutory deadline for advertising the budget public hearing. As a result, the budget could not legally be approved at the Commission’s first August meeting.

However, she continued, the setting of the millage rate had been properly advertised for the same date. Because people had planned to comment on the proposed rate that day, the decision was made to continue with the hearing and approve the millage rate, despite the fact that the budget remained unapproved.

Pollard neither accepted nor assigned any blame for the error. An apology at this point might have diffused the situation entirely, but one did not come.

Post III Commissioner Tommie Graham continued the defense of the Commission’s blunder, unknowingly admitting that the millage rate was approved on August 10 with the presumption that the Commission would approve the budget as presented later, regardless of citizen input.

“The budget is there… the budget is there for everybody’s approval. It’s a process that we went through. We set a millage rate based on what we would assume the budget… it could shift up or down… but we went ahead and set that millage rate.”

Graham justified the Commission’s act by saying that, had it not approved the millage rate on August 10, tax revenue to the government would have been delayed. In other words, it was more important for the government to get its money than it was to protect the rights of its citizens.

The most laughable comments came from County Attorney Jayson Phillips, who did what attorneys do when they have no argument… use a lot of words to say nothing.

Phillips said that when the law requires a budget hearing, the Commission is required to hold a hearing (duh). The August 24 hearing was being held because a notice was published (duh). The hearing was being held so that the budget could be voted upon (duh).

“And that’s the process that we are in at this point,” concluded Phillips.

At that point, Phillips’ slid into condescension and barely-veiled insult, in my opinion. First, Phillips set up a “straw man argument,” misrepresenting Milanese’s position and then refuting the incorrect position.

“I believe that your solution would be, if you miss a deadline then don’t pass a budget for the next year,” said Phillips. “Well, that’s a legal impossibility. We need to pass a budget for next year.”

Milanese never suggested not passing the budget. In fact, he wanted the budget to be passed earlier, according to the timetable established by the county’s own ordinances. And he certainly wanted it to be passed before the millage rate was approved.

Phillips continued, “We also need to make sure that we comply with the opportunities afforded to the public, as you are being afforded right now, in order to… so that their comments and input… on the budget process. So that’s why we’re having a hearing today that has been properly noticed as required by the county ordinance.”

Yeah, we get it, Counselor. But the taxpayers of Paulding would really appreciate the opportunity to offer that input when the comments might actually make a difference.

http://www.millagerate.com/blog/paulding-bungles-budget-hearings-citizens-denied-a-voice/

Edited by _sMoKe_

This year's taxes are 15% more than they were in 2006 when my home reached the height of it's value.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Yea, but if you look, most of that increase is in 2007, the School Bond, Wildlife bond, and I think the fire tax hit that year too (Jerry's free 2 mil General fund increase)

You need to compare to 2007 after the new taxes were added.

Also you are paying $300 more a year last year and this year due to the state canceling the property tax credit, don't forget to add that to calculation.

Still have to see what millage rate for the bonds for the new government center Jerry built is.

The current BOC can't do anything about any of those costs.

There are too many pieces of the tax equations to be able to compare year to year without the details. Guess we'll have to wait on the written bill to that.

I don't know. How could you appeal if you did not know what it would be?unsure.gif

Assessments came out in June and had to appealed then I think.

I just saved $2,500.00 and the county is able to maintain fire, police and other services. THANK YOU MR. AUSTIN and the rest of the BOC! Great job!

Here's part of my property tax bill for the last eight years. See if you can tell when Jerry was in office and you can see why think so little of him.

2003: $5,539.97

2004: $6,062.26

2005: $7,383.83

2006: $8,948.02

2007: $11,136.86

2008: $11,369.71

2009: $11,739.45

2010: $9,211.19

Oh yea! I especially like the big jump in 2007!! That 2 mil backdoor increase Jerry hit us with by dropping fire from the general budget was such a smooth move most people didn't feel the hand in their wallets.

Looks like the only increase you had in 2009 was the state $300 increase with the cancellation of the tax credit.

Property taxes did not go down as a result of the BOC, property taxes are down because all of your property has lost an enormous amount of value due to all the foreclosures. I guess we're supposed to jump up and down that our houses are worth so little now. :wacko:

This BOC has just raised your taxes. ;)

Down $656.00

Now where are all those people mad that the taxes went up this year?

I support what David Austin and the commissioners are trying to do by maintaining services but tightening up in all areas possible!

But if the rest of you want to listen to the current bunch at the GOP taken over by the Gallaways - with Jerry Sherrin standing in the wings waiting for his come back to run again- keep drinking the Kool-Aid that a misinformed group on here have been pushing about David and others.

Very good post and to the point

Yea, but if you look, most of that increase is in 2007, the School Bond, Wildlife bond, and I think the fire tax hit that year too (Jerry's free 2 mil General fund increase)

You need to compare to 2007 after the new taxes were added.

Also you are paying $300 more a year last year and this year due to the state canceling the property tax credit, don't forget to add that to calculation.

Still have to see what millage rate for the bonds for the new government center Jerry built is.

The current BOC can't do anything about any of those costs.

There are too many pieces of the tax equations to be able to compare year to year without the details. Guess we'll have to wait on the written bill to that.

Assessments came out in June and had to appealed then I think.

Yes, from 2006 to 2007 my property tax increased 20% and stayed level for 2007, 2008 and 2009, even allowing for the lost tax credit. My point was that I'm still 15% higher than 2006 when my house was worth twice as much. I'm not going to jump for joy over saving $100 on my property tax when my house value is down 50%.

Property taxes did not go down as a result of the BOC, property taxes are down because all of your property has lost an enormous amount of value due to all the foreclosures. I guess we're supposed to jump up and down that our houses are worth so little now. :wacko:

This BOC has just raised your taxes. ;)

Best tax increase I ever had. Saved me $2,500.00.

The only way you lose money on the value of your house is if you sell it for what it is said to be worth. The value of my house had almost tripled from when it was built but that was all on paper too.

The Austin BOC has no choice but to pay the bills for the debt that Shearin and company ran up.

Let me ask you this, did you really expect those over-inflated home values to continue to climb forever. How many times have you walked through new homes and thought "there is no way in heck this house is worth this much money?"

What's confusing about this isn't a gift from Austin, it's simply a result of the recession?

Agreed. 100%. With revenue sources dwindling, ALMOST everyone is trimming the fat. I'm about to be cutting into the bone. I'm cutting into the muscle already.