Paulding.com

How about a civil discussion on the 19th district race

OK, here it is. The first person that posts a rumor or innuendo, with no corroboration or evidence to back up their trash talk, and my head may just explode. There is a hit thread open for every candidate please use those to spread lies and filth. Character and ethics are fair game, as is the way candidates are conducting themselves, but please leave the sex lies and videotape elsewhere.

I have heard a lot of bad things, mostly lies, about all three candidates. It would be nice to hear from supporters why their candidate is right for the job, and not why the other guy is a turd.

On the issues, I don't see a lot of difference so far, and for that reason, I haven't made up my mind yet. I am considering all three candidates, but as I posted in another thread, I find it hard to vote for even a conservative Democrat right now, because of the intense partisanship and pressure to pick a side under the gold dome. If Mr. Avery were to buckle under that intense pressure and start voting with David Scott, I would feel mightily betrayed. On the other hand, Ms. Braddock has a voting record on the BOC of raising taxes, or so I have been told, and Mr. Stout left out a pertinent transgression in his run as a religious conservative and a family values candidate in the special election, that wasn't public until it was too late for many, thus betraying their trust, and voted wrongly on an issue to keep a promise (his explanation).

OK, so convince me that your guy or gal is the right person for the job by allaying my concerns and telling what is good about your candidate, not what's bad about the others. I've already heard more of that than I wish to hear.

One's closeness to their GOD is not a political position, so lets please just skip right over that. It's fair to assume that all three are on an equal footing with their God, OK?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A state rep being for the Fair Tax is like a state rep discussing what our national policy with the Russians should be. It doesn't mean a thing because the state rep has zero influence on that. Talkin

Surepip,   Not sure your following the GOP like you say.   Your quote: The Old Guard in the Paulding GOP have stepped away from their elected roles within the party; and are actively campaignin

Believe what you want.   Jerry and some of the GOP Old Guard, and the RBMDs are very much hard at work to elect Braddock and Cochran. This is their, hopefully, Custer's Last Stand.   They are inde

Posted Images

In my mind this is the hardest race,I have talked to all three. All three are good,if I was to ever vote for a democrat it would be for Will. The other two are great people,Daniel Scott would be a great Rep for the people. Paulette is hungry to prove herself and deserves a chance.

This is a very tough decission to make,I might have to flip a coin.yahoo.gif

I think I'm voting for Avery. I like his attitude and enthusiasm. All of the candidates will have the same political pressures if elected. That isn't a variable that can be controlled. I feel his having a fresh perspective and positive energy will allow him to deal more effectively with the issues at hand rather than being bogged down by baggage.

Plus, he is a cutie. That doesn't hurt, either.

I like Braddock. I don't see her time on the BOE as a negative. She voted for one tax increase and that was a united vote. We were all under a lot of pressure with that one. Heck, I even voted "yes for the children". I like the fact that she has been "on the ground" with the tea party movement and she supports the principles of the tea party. She's been active at the capital and has a desire to represent the folks of Paulding.

I think I'm voting for Avery. I like his attitude and enthusiasm. All of the candidates will have the same political pressures if elected. That isn't a variable that can be controlled. I feel his having a fresh perspective and positive energy will allow him to deal more effectively with the issues at hand rather than being bogged down by baggage.

Plus, he is a cutie. That doesn't hurt, either.

I agree, ....except for the cutie thing, Paulette has him beat there ;-)

I am thinking about voting for and supporting Avery, I like his ideas on how to provide for additional funds that will return thousands of teachers to the classrooms, Without the need of raising taxes on Small Business or property owners, Avery has also stated that he would work very hard towards helping the County Commissioners in their endeavors to bring good paying jobs to Paulding County. I find Avery well aware of the problems facing the 19th District, And Paulding County.

Heck, I even voted "yes for the children".

:o

Love conquers all. I still dig you. lol.

I like Avery's attitude regarding my personal circumstances. I think he understands a majority of us:

"The working middle class sustains Paulding County. I believe we need to focus on policy measures that strengthen the power that you have, and make sure that every Paulding County resident can find work. The economic crisis we now find ourselves in has affected the working middle class the most, and legislative action under the Gold Dome must reflect the needs of the heart of Paulding County."

He is absolutely right. The poor aren't as affected because they still get the benefits they were receiving before things went south. The rich can weather this storm. It is the middle class workers who are endangered by our current situation. I think he gets that.

I have disassociated myself from parties/movements/idealists as of late. I am going to vote my conscience independently, no matter what party lines I cross.

My problem here, is the same as the Post 2 commission race.

I can't help but identify Paulette and Beverly as King Jerry's Girls. And the Paulding GOP is following King Jerry and the old Taj Mahal Cartel and for all practical purposes endorsing THEIR slate of candidates.

I have had my negative comments concerning Mr Stout's past, and I am not a proponent of part of his platform planks, but the last thing we need on the commission or under the Gold Dome is either of King Jerry's Girls. I would have to choose Daniel over Paulette, no questions asked.

This is Paulding County's chance to finally rid themselves of the last vestiges of King Jerry and his band of ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS. With Kirby leaving the cartel is running scared of loosing the last little bit of influence they have had.

Time for them to leave, 100%, completely and for the good of us all.

I can't help but identify Paulette and Beverly as King Jerry's Girls. And the Paulding GOP is following King Jerry and the old Taj Mahal Cartel and for all practical purposes endorsing THEIR slate of candidates.

I'm not sure why you feel that way about Paulette. It may be your perception, but I don't think it's reality.

I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for, yet. It seems in almost every election, national, state, and local, I have to chose who makes my stomach turn the least. I'm always weighing which negative am I more likely to be able to take. In this case, I think I can probably live more with Stout's past transgressions since he was very young and seems to live in very different manner, now.

That's what I'm thinking now, but it may change. :pardon:

I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for, yet. It seems in almost every election, national, state, and local, I have to chose who makes my stomach turn the least. I'm always weighing which negative am I more likely to be able to take. In this case, I think I can probably live more with Stout's past transgressions since he was very young and seems to live in very different manner, now.

I considered education, as well. Avery is a UGA graduate and teaches at the University of West Georgia. His wife is also a teacher. I really think they have a vested interest in the public school/college system here in Georgia. I really like the Avery focuses on the issues and doesn't try to get the homegrown vote by being related to anyone or well-connected and also doesn't push the Christian thing. I don't want someone whose main aim is to glorify Christ, the churches have that covered. I think he will be a breath of fresh air.

If you can't decide between the lesser of two evils, VOTE FOR AVERY! lol. I don't usually campaign for candidates, but I really think Avery should be a consideration for those who can't decide or are caught up in the personal issues.

He is absolutely right. The poor aren't as affected because they still get the benefits they were receiving before things went south. The rich can weather this storm. It is the middle class workers who are endangered by our current situation. I think he gets that.

I have disassociated myself from parties/movements/idealists as of late. I am going to vote my conscience independently, no matter what party lines I cross.

WHOA, preach it, sister! I am investigating Avery (so I appreciate this thread), but your statements there fit me to a T.

I considered education, as well. Avery is a UGA graduate and teaches at the University of West Georgia. His wife is also a teacher. I really think they have a vested interest in the public school/college system here in Georgia. I really like the Avery focuses on the issues and doesn't try to get the homegrown vote by being related to anyone or well-connected and also doesn't push the Christian thing. I don't want someone whose main aim is to glorify Christ, the churches have that covered. I think he will be a breath of fresh air.

If you can't decide between the lesser of two evils, VOTE FOR AVERY! lol. I don't usually campaign for candidates, but I really think Avery should be a consideration for those who can't decide or are caught up in the personal issues.

Home grown, related, and connected is not ALWAYS a bad thing. There are some good, honest people from here who have not run the county in the ground for personal benefit. But I do see how someone could form a negative opinion based on the actions of some.

I am in support of the whole "glorify Christ" thing as long as it is genuine. Not everyone who claims it, lives it. Not that people can't be human and mess up; I do every day.

edited because glofify is not a word :blush:

Edited by Mariposa

I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for, yet. It seems in almost every election, national, state, and local, I have to chose who makes my stomach turn the least. I'm always weighing which negative am I more likely to be able to take.

I KNOW!!!!!!! And I am beyond sick to death of it!!! But as I said before, it's hard to find people willing to put up with the crap that is dished on them during the run-up to elections.

In this case, I think I can probably live more with Stout's past transgressions since he was very young and seems to live in very different manner, now.

In my case, it'll be Stout in the primary, and for the reasons you state. Whatever happened was 12 years ago when he was 19. Yes, it was awful, and no, I dno't condone it. But he does seem to live a different life now. People can change. I think his greatest mistake was in not bringing it up (in an opaque way, at least) before somebody else did. He had to know it was gonna come out. Had to.

Whoever wins the primary, I'll consider Avery equally as the primary winner. It's been a long time I've voted for a Democrat (Zell was the last, I think), but I'm with CeeJay...I vote person, not party. And the GOP has done some really stupid things (nationally and state level, at least) in the last few years.

:o

Love conquers all. I still dig you. lol.

I like Avery's attitude regarding my personal circumstances. I think he understands a majority of us:

"The working middle class sustains Paulding County. I believe we need to focus on policy measures that strengthen the power that you have, and make sure that every Paulding County resident can find work. The economic crisis we now find ourselves in has affected the working middle class the most, and legislative action under the Gold Dome must reflect the needs of the heart of Paulding County."

:wub: Yes, it does. I still dig you too. good.gif

I like Avery's education background, but I'm not sure it's enough for the times we are in. I don't disagree with what he said, I'm just not sure his plan can pull it off.

Home grown, related, and connected is not ALWAYS a bad thing. There are some good, honest people from here who have not run the county in the ground for personal benefit. But I do see how someone could form a negative opinion based on the actions of some.

I am in support of the whole "glorify Christ" thing as long as it is genuine. Not everyone who claims it, lives it. Not that people can't be human and mess up; I do every day.

edited because glofify is not a word :blush:

You make good points and I can't disagree. I know some long-time Paulding folks. I am not a heathen (all the time, haha). I just think it is time to separate that from our representational needs at present. Those platforms are grandstands. They don't mean too much when it comes to solving the problems we have right now in our district.

We already overbuilt. We invited this influx of diverse residents. We enticed them to join our community and to use our schools and resources. Now we can't afford to have everybody here. We don't have the employment base to support them. We are a broke bedroom community. The grandstand vote-getting tactics don't help with any of that. We need to focus on two major themes to get us back on track:

1.) We have to do something about our schools. Now. We need someone who isn't tied to private church-run schools or the folks who overbuilt this place. We need someone who understands all levels of public education because the middle class needs public schools and colleges. If we lose any more educationally, we are lost.

2.) We need jobs here. We need people to work and contribute. In order to get more people working, we have to refer back to number 1. We can't keep doing things the way we have always done them. It isn't working.

I know he's young. I'm thinking that may be a good thing. He has a political spark that just might grow into a powerhouse.

I think you folks may be interested in next wednesday's 'conversation' between Ms. Braddock and Mr. Stout on PCOMTV at 2pm. The two have graciously agreed to come to Pcom's studio for a sit down conversation on their runoff race.

Both Daniel and Paulette seem to hold to conservative principals and the idea is to let them sit and discuss the issues that face voters as well as the challenges that will face either as a sitting representative.

I do think that you folks may pose specific questions that we will present to them prior to the sit down as such one-on-one conversations between opponents may need that kind of input to get moving.

I have to say that this open, no-rules conversation has proven, IMO, to be quite productive in terms of generating voter input. You get to see the candidates interact in literally a challenging situation - i.e. face to face with their direct challenger - in an unscripted exchange. who knows what will happen?

Hope you will tune in.

pubby

PS: Once the runoff is over, we'll present the winner in a face-to-face with Mr. Avery.

PPS: We are also preparing this program for viewing on Channel 16 and have every reason to believe that it will be presented there.

:wub: Yes, it does. I still dig you too. good.gif

I like Avery's education background, but I'm not sure it's enough for the times we are in. I don't disagree with what he said, I'm just not sure his plan can pull it off.

You could never do anything wrong in my eyes, even if you did something wrong. :wub:

I like that he isn't throwing out the political catch-phrases like Tea Party and Pro Life and Christian. I'm sure he probably is a Christian and he seems to stand for accoutability like the some of the more conservative candidates and he is definitely a family man but he isn't pushing that in our faces.

I would like to know how he stands on the Fair Tax issue. I think I'll ask him.

I guess I'm worried that a vote for either of the other two won't be enough of a change. I don't want to keep going like we are going. I get all antsy when I make less than I made the year before...

I am fairly conservative, but very leary of getting caught up in any tide. That last tide almost burnt our toast.

You could never do anything wrong in my eyes, even if you did something wrong. :wub:

I like that he isn't throwing out the political catch-phrases like Tea Party and Pro Life and Christian. I'm sure he probably is a Christian and he seems to stand for accoutability like the some of the more conservative candidates and he is definitely a family man but he isn't pushing that in our faces.

I would like to know how he stands on the Fair Tax issue. I think I'll ask him.

I guess I'm worried that a vote for either of the other two won't be enough of a change. I don't want to keep going like we are going. I get all antsy when I make less than I made the year before...

I am fairly conservative, but very leary of getting caught up in any tide. That last tide almost burnt our toast.

wub.gif You give me way too much credit.

For the record, Braddock is PRO fair tax. I don't know Avery's stance on that, but would like to know.

Stout and Braddock are both pro life, so that's a wash for the run-off. (Although I still hold the position it should not have been a platform in this race.)

i dont know much bout all the political stuff really .. but met with Paulette .. she does seem down to earth .. n very approachable .. so i would say .. if you have questions .. ask her . you may be surprised .. or you may not .. i for one .. like the lady ..

• Like 1

For the record, Braddock is PRO fair tax. I don't know Avery's stance on that, but would like to know.

I like the idea of a fair tax, but I honestly don't know the inner workings of it or the numbers it would generate. Also, I worry about the very poorest among us. While I get irritated with people for taking a vacation from non-earned tax refunds, I really think some people can't afford to contribute and I am thankful if they just work and take care of their families so tax payers don't have to do it.

I remember reading somewhere, and I think Avery even posted it here on pcom, about how we already generate enough tax in this state. We just don't collect it. That bothers me to no end. The state makes sure to get our contributions through payroll deducation and sales taxes, but then doesn't bother to collect the money from the merchants.

Maybe we don't need so much change. Maybe we need enforcement.

A state rep being for the Fair Tax is like a state rep discussing what our national policy with the Russians should be. It doesn't mean a thing because the state rep has zero influence on that. Talking about the Fair Tax is grandstanding and is used to get people who don't know any different to vote for them. Sure, a few may know the states can't do anything about the Fair Tax but most people confuse national issues with state issues and I don't like a candidate who manipulates. I want a candidate who will discuss what they can do and not talk about issues that get people emotionally worked up just to get votes. To me, a candidate who discusses national issues or things the state can do nothing about is a manipulator and I don't want a representative to manipulate voters.

I don't like Stout and it has nothing to do with his indiscretion 10 years ago. What he does in his personal life is between him and his family. I just don't agree with him on many of his votes last time in the General Assembly. I disagree with his views on spending verses budget cuts. Though I do agree with him on some banking regulation reform, I disagree with him on more banking issues. I also disagree with Stout on some insurance regulation views. Then there is the gun legislation passed that I cannot go along with under any circumstance, plus the whole Tea Party overtones to his campaign.

That would also be why I cannot support Braddock. Her Tea Party rhetoric is more air than substance and I don't believe she honestly understands the issues. She can recite the lines and Talking Points, but I don't think she has a grasp on the real issues. I would prefer someome who can discuss the issues and actually understand the consequences of adopting a rhetoric, and I don't think Braddock is educated enough to be able to discuss the issues with some degree of substance. Then there is that whole "Rakestraw" name thing she uses, which was her first marriage name, and not her maiden name. I don't know but I have to wonder why use her ex-husband's name unless it is to give the idea she is from that family. Maybe that has nothing to do with anything but that just seems to be more manipulation to me.

Avery is a Democrat. That bothers me. But when I talk to him, I find him articulate, well educated, willing to look at all sides of the issue and still take an outside the box approach. This will be the first time I have ever voted for a Democrat in my life but Avery is, I think, the most qualified. If he becomes a Democratic hack, he won't get my vote in the future, but this time around, I find his views are more align with mine. I also like the fact he doesn't run with his religion on his sleeve to manipulate even more people.

• Like 1

A state rep being for the Fair Tax is like a state rep discussing what our national policy with the Russians should be. It doesn't mean a thing because the state rep has zero influence on that. Talking about the Fair Tax is grandstanding and is used to get people who don't know any different to vote for them. Sure, a few may know the states can't do anything about the Fair Tax but most people confuse national issues with state issues and I don't like a candidate who manipulates. I want a candidate who will discuss what they can do and not talk about issues that get people emotionally worked up just to get votes. To me, a candidate who discusses national issues or things the state can do nothing about is a manipulator and I don't want a representative to manipulate voters.

I don't like Stout and it has nothing to do with his indiscretion 10 years ago. What he does in his personal life is between him and his family. I just don't agree with him on many of his votes last time in the General Assembly. I disagree with his views on spending verses budget cuts. Though I do agree with him on some banking regulation reform, I disagree with him on more banking issues. I also disagree with Stout on some insurance regulation views. Then there is the gun legislation passed that I cannot go along with under any circumstance, plus the whole Tea Party overtones to his campaign.

That would also be why I cannot support Braddock. Her Tea Party rhetoric is more air than substance and I don't believe she honestly understands the issues. She can recite the lines and Talking Points, but I don't think she has a grasp on the real issues. I would prefer someome who can discuss the issues and actually understand the consequences of adopting a rhetoric, and I don't think Braddock is educated enough to be able to discuss the issues with some degree of substance. Then there is that whole "Rakestraw" name thing she uses, which was her first marriage name, and not her maiden name. I don't know but I have to wonder why use her ex-husband's name unless it is to give the idea she is from that family. Maybe that has nothing to do with anything but that just seems to be more manipulation to me.

Avery is a Democrat. That bothers me. But when I talk to him, I find him articulate, well educated, willing to look at all sides of the issue and still take an outside the box approach. This will be the first time I have ever voted for a Democrat in my life but Avery is, I think, the most qualified. If he becomes a Democratic hack, he won't get my vote in the future, but this time around, I find his views are more align with mine. I also like the fact he doesn't run with his religion on his sleeve to manipulate even more people.

That was a great post.

Zell Miller made me cross party lines. I think Avery will, as well.

That was a great post.

Zell Miller made me cross party lines. I think Avery will, as well.

I voted for Zell, and regretted it mightily. He talked the fiscal conservative talk but walked the tax and spend on my ol' buddies walk. He ruined DNR by using it as a political giveaway program of hotels and golf courses, and it has yet to recover. He took the concept of "Development Highways" to a unheard of plateau. He is actually one of the major reasons that I am leery of what may happen to Mr. Avery if and when he gets his special license plate. The pressure to play the game is enormous. Like Cee Jay says, it goes both ways, but given a choice between the extremes, the progressive left is truly the dark side, JMHO.

I fear that Mr. Avery's plans for education start with increased funding far beyond the minuscule cuts in spending and "waste" elsewhere that he has proposed. Education is 58% of the State Budget, and any small percentage increase there means big cuts elsewhere. There just isn't the waste currently in government that many Democrats running for office would have you believe. Governor Perdue just ordered another 4% cut across the board with the exception of k-12, and most State departments are operating on a budget that has already been cut by 1/3 over the last 2 years. Time and time again increased spending has done no more for the quality of education than increased testing. Fully 1/3 of the states spend less per capita than Georgia and get better results. That is the problem that needs to be addressed. We are doing something wrong that simply throwing money at will not fix. I wish just one candidate would tell the truth. Education in Georgia is broken at the most fundamental levels, and everything needs to be on the table even if it hurts feelings and makes political enemies. In this sense Mr. Avery is not alone. No candidate has yet had the balls (or ovaries) to tell us that. Money won't fix every problem. Lets stop finding ways to increase spending (the popular narrative) and start finding ways to increase results. I'll vote for the first person that is that honest with me.

Fair tax is a national issue worthy of discussion, but yes, it has little to do with this race. I want to hear what they intend to do, specifically, about what they will be voting on. What I want is efficiency and responsibility from Government and clear ethics legislation. I haven't heard any candidate talk about ethics legislation or pledge to seriously strengthen the rules and then play by them. I haven't heard one candidate tell me what their plan is for fixing the battered State DOT or DNR. I haven't heard one candidate speak to the Water Wars. I don't want a representative to bring home the bacon, because my state funded ball field is somebody else's Sonny Perdue Memorial Boat Ramp. I don't want political and religious statements made at taxpayer cost in the form of religious values bills. I don't want them pineing for yesterday. I want my representative to intelligently fix what is wrong in State Government and vote the will of the electorate. Is that so hard?

Thanks for all the input so far, and PUBBY, I look forward to the forum.

I don't want a representative to bring home the bacon, because my state funded ball field as somebody else's Sonny Perdue Memorial Boat Ramp. I don't want political and religious statements made at taxpayer cost in the form of religious values bills. I don't want them pineing for yesterday. I want my representative to intelligently fix what is wrong in State Government and vote the will of the electorate. Is that so hard?

^^There ya go...^^

There are many other pressing issues with district 19, and it becomes more important because our senate districts are so screwed up, the legislative seats are really our only native representatives we have. Heath lives in Bremen, and is more concerned with their needs. Hamrick lives in West Cobb and is more involved with their local needs.

But Pauldings are different.

We are screwed from Economic Development Grants, subsidies, and tax breaks because the Tier System has us right up there with Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton because our population [Thank you King Jerry and Company] puts us over the maximum to get the economic assistance to help bring industrial development here. Polk, Harralson, etc. get lots of assistance bringing small to medium businesses. Richardson and Maxwell have never addressed this at all.

I learned recently our resevoir got back burnered the last 6 months of King Jerry's reign.

Turns out SOMEONE in our BOC Chairman's Office just filed 13ed or trashed correspondence from the Corp of Engineers requesting additional information. After several requests with no reply, our resevoir application got kicked out of the top priority list into na-na land, and we lost 12-18 months by the time David Austin's new crowd found this out and started corresponding with the beurachrats to get our project going again. Thanks a heap Jerry! And kudo's to your staff for brining this to the attention of the new guys coming into the Commission.

Education is definitely a top priority, but we have to be able to fund it. Tobacco tax, other vice taxes are possiblities I have discussed with Daniel Stout. The number one though is to get these grandfathered corporate tax breaks and credits recinded, and or elminated at least with time. There is a Billion plus sitting on the table there.

Putting BOE Impact fees into place on building permits for when and if the building industry restarts. Jerry and his RBMDs had no problem with $5500 for the sewer tap fee to flush the toilets, but expect only the homeowners to fund the BOE ? I think that is time for a change in allowing and controlling Impact fees so the BOE can use them, and put the onus and load on those making the profits.

I have spoken with Daniel Stout about these items and found him to be knowledgeable and aware of what was going on, and what needed to be done to get these items back on track and moving in the right direction.

I have no idea where Braddock stands.

There are many other pressing issues with district 19, and it becomes more important because our senate districts are so screwed up, the legislative seats are really our only native representatives we have. Heath lives in Bremen, and is more concerned with their needs. Hamrick lives in West Cobb and is more involved with their local needs.

We are screwed from Economic Development Grants, subsidies, and tax breaks because the Tier System has us right up there with Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton because our population [Thank you King Jerry and Company] puts us over the maximum to get the economic assistance to help bring industrial development here. Polk, Harralson, etc. get lots of assistance bringing small to medium businesses. Richardson and Maxwell have never addressed this at all.

I learned recently our resevoir got back burnered the last 6 months of King Jerry's reign.

Turns out SOMEONE in our BOC Chairman's Office just filed 13ed or trashed correspondence from the Corp of Engineers requesting additional information. After several requests with no reply, our resevoir application got kicked out of the top priority list into na-na land, and we lost 12-18 months by the time David Austin's new crowd found this out and started corresponding with the beurachrats to get our project going again. Thanks a heap Jerry! And kudo's to your staff for brining this to the attention of the new guys coming into the Commission.

Education is definitely a top priority, but we have to be able to fund it. Tobacco tax, other vice taxes are possiblities I have discussed with Daniel Stout. The number one though is to get these grandfathered corporate tax breaks and credits recinded, and or elminated at least with time. There is a Billion plus sitting on the table there.

Putting BOE Impact fees into place on building permits for when and if the building industry restarts. Jerry and his RBMDs had no problem with $5500 for the sewer tap fee to flush the toilets, but expect only the homeowners to fund the BOE ? I think that is time for a change in allowing and controlling Impact fees so the BOE can use them, and put the onus and load on those making the profits.

I have spoken with Daniel Stout about these items and found him to be knowledgeable and aware of what was going on, and what needed to be done to get these items back on track and moving in the right direction.

She will have to check with Sarah Palin to see what the Tea Party talking point is on that issue but she will get back with you.

I voted for Zell, and regretted it mightily. He talked the fiscal conservative talk but walked the tax and spend on my ol' buddies walk. He ruined DNR by using it as a political giveaway program of hotels and golf courses, and it has yet to recover. He took the concept of "Development Highways" to a unheard of plateau. He is actually one of the major reasons that I am leery of what may happen to Mr. Avery if and when he gets his special license plate. The pressure to play the game is enormous. Like Cee Jay says, it goes both ways, but given a choice between the extremes, the progressive left is truly the dark side, JMHO.

I fear that Mr. Avery's plans for education start with increased funding far beyond the minuscule cuts in spending and "waste" elsewhere that he has proposed. Education is 58% of the State Budget, and any small percentage increase there means big cuts elsewhere. There just isn't the waste currently in government that many Democrats running for office would have you believe. Governor Perdue just ordered another 4% cut across the board with the exception of k-12, and most State departments are operating on a budget that has already been cut by 1/3 over the last 2 years. Time and time again increased spending has done no more for the quality of education than increased testing. Fully 1/3 of the states spend less per capita than Georgia and get better results. That is the problem that needs to be addressed. We are doing something wrong that simply throwing money at will not fix. I wish just one candidate would tell the truth. Education in Georgia is broken at the most fundamental levels, and everything needs to be on the table even if it hurts feelings and makes political enemies. In this sense Mr. Avery is not alone. No candidate has yet had the balls (or ovaries) to tell us that. Money won't fix every problem. Lets stop finding ways to increase spending (the popular narrative) and start finding ways to increase results. I'll vote for the first person that is that honest with me.

Fair tax is a national issue worthy of discussion, but yes, it has little to do with this race. I want to hear what they intend to do, specifically, about what they will be voting on. What I want is efficiency and responsibility from Government and clear ethics legislation. I haven't heard any candidate talk about ethics legislation or pledge to seriously strengthen the rules and then play by them. I haven't heard one candidate tell me what their plan is for fixing the battered State DOT or DNR. I haven't heard one candidate speak to the Water Wars. I don't want a representative to bring home the bacon, because my state funded ball field is somebody else's Sonny Perdue Memorial Boat Ramp. I don't want political and religious statements made at taxpayer cost in the form of religious values bills. I don't want them pineing for yesterday. I want my representative to intelligently fix what is wrong in State Government and vote the will of the electorate. Is that so hard?

Thanks for all the input so far, and PUBBY, I look forward to the forum.

I agree LTD but I keep going back to the fact that if Avery were really a conservative he would not be running as a Democrat! I might have bought that if he had run as an Independant or Libertarian. He might actually have gotten my vote. You can never tell how an election is going to go and a large number of the folks who voted in the Democrats in both the House and the Senate had no clue that they would go against the will of the people just because they could. They bought the old Hope and Change line too. No way do I want to take that chance in Georgia. I won't use my vote to help it happen either.

Then you should call and ask.

She will have to check with Sarah Palin to see what the Tea Party talking point is on that issue but she will get back with you.

Wow, so much for keeping this one civil.

Not hardly, and there is no way on Gods Green Earth that the powers that be in the Georgia House and Senate are going to let you take away their payola. There is a committee formed by last year's legislature to look at how taxes are collected and how tax breaks are handed out. I expect it to be nothing but lip service and maybe a few small, truly useless, headline making tax breaks will be given up. But if you think that Porter, Ralston, and their crews are going to roll over and play dead, you have a serious hopey perception problem. I agree that taxation hasn't really been studied as a whole since the last Constitution was enacted in the 80's, but I honestly don't see any realistic chance of obtaining anything over the 3% or so increase that the DOR thinks is possible, and this ain't their first rodeo. I'm not frowning on a half billion, but the education budget in Georgia is well over $10 Billion. As I have stated before, the object is not to increase the education budget in Georgia, the object is to fix education in Georgia. If you don't understand the difference, then you need to look around the country at what works and what doesn't.

It will take a constitutional amendment to allow Boards of Education to levy impact fees. it was tried back in the 90's and failed miserably. Not an altogether bad idea on one hand, if the BOC is out of control, but do you want the BOE to be in charge of development taxation within the county, or are you just still just mad at the previous Paulding BOC? The ideal situation would be to have a functioning BOC that takes impact on infrastructure into account when approving development, and that is a Paulding County problem, not a State of Georgia problem.

So tell us who you like and why. What issues are you concerned about? What do you expect from our next representative?

I would like to know where each candidate stands on immigration. Do they agree with Arizona...and would they vote for somethithing along the lines of what Arizona is doing?

No, my job isn't being taking over by illegals. So, please don't think I'm bitter...or whatever...I'm just wanting to know!

I'm also wondering where they stand on the healthcare issues.

:drinks:

I think you folks may be interested in next wednesday's 'conversation' between Ms. Braddock and Mr. Stout on PCOMTV at 2pm. The two have graciously agreed to come to Pcom's studio for a sit down conversation on their runoff race.

Both Daniel and Paulette seem to hold to conservative principals and the idea is to let them sit and discuss the issues that face voters as well as the challenges that will face either as a sitting representative.

I do think that you folks may pose specific questions that we will present to them prior to the sit down as such one-on-one conversations between opponents may need that kind of input to get moving.

I have to say that this open, no-rules conversation has proven, IMO, to be quite productive in terms of generating voter input. You get to see the candidates interact in literally a challenging situation - i.e. face to face with their direct challenger - in an unscripted exchange. who knows what will happen?

Hope you will tune in.

pubby

PS: Once the runoff is over, we'll present the winner in a face-to-face with Mr. Avery.

PPS: We are also preparing this program for viewing on Channel 16 and have every reason to believe that it will be presented there.

I look fwd to this

Not hardly, and there is no way on Gods Green Earth that the powers that be in the Georgia House and Senate are going to let you take away their payola. There is a committee formed by last year's legislature to look at how taxes are collected and how tax breaks are handed out. I expect it to be nothing but lip service and maybe a few small, truly useless, headline making tax breaks will be given up. But if you think that Porter, Ralston, and their crews are going to roll over and play dead, you have a serious hopey perception problem. I agree that taxation hasn't really been studied as a whole since the last Constitution was enacted in the 80's, but I honestly don't see any realistic chance of obtaining anything over the 3% or so increase that the DOR thinks is possible, and this ain't their first rodeo. I'm not frowning on a half billion, but the education budget in Georgia is well over $10 Billion. As I have stated before, the object is not to increase the education budget in Georgia, the object is to fix education in Georgia. If you don't understand the difference, then you need to look around the country at what works and what doesn't.

It will take a constitutional amendment to allow Boards of Education to levy impact fees. it was tried back in the 90's and failed miserably. Not an altogether bad idea on one hand, if the BOC is out of control, but do you want the BOE to be in charge of development taxation within the county, or are you just still just mad at the previous Paulding BOC? The ideal situation would be to have a functioning BOC that takes impact on infrastructure into account when approving development, and that is a Paulding County problem, not a State of Georgia problem.

Trying to have the Paulding BOC doing something on obtaining funds from developers for infrastructure at this point in time is closing the gate long after all the critters got loose. Do you have any idea of how many graded lots already sit awaiting a house ? The only practical way to offset the costs to the county is to attach fees to the building permit.

It will not take a constitutional amendment to levy impact fees. I believe Cherokee county has had some success. The issue with the way the rules are written now is how to apply the impact fee to infrastructure in that specific neighborhood/area. It can be done.

Now as far as who administrates the fees, I assumed that would be by the county, and then passing the money on to the BoE. But now these are my opinions, I can't speak for anyone else. I agree the education system as it sits needs some fixing.

Trying to have the Paulding BOC doing something on obtaining funds from developers for infrastructure at this point in time is closing the gate long after all the critters got loose. Do you have any idea of how many graded lots already sit awaiting a house ? The only practical way to offset the costs to the county is to attach fees to the building permit.

It will not take a constitutional amendment to levy impact fees. I believe Cherokee county has had some success. The issue with the way the rules are written now is how to apply the impact fee to infrastructure in that specific neighborhood/area. It can be done.

Now as far as who administrates the fees, I assumed that would be by the county, and then passing the money on to the BoE. But now these are my opinions, I can't speak for anyone else. I agree the education system as it sits needs some fixing.

You called them BOE impact fees, giving me the impression that the fees would be directly imposed by the BOE. This will in fact require a constitutional amendment, since the power to tax is constitutionally limited to "the governing authority of any county or municipality" (this has been my understanding for some time. Any GA. Constitutional scholars are welcome to step in here and correct me if I'm wrong). If you meant that the BOC can impose fees and pass those funds on to the education fund, then I suppose that could be done legislatively. That still requires a cooperative BOC. However those fees still could not be used to fund schools or education in general without changing the current law:

36-71-2(19). The public facilities which may

have systems improvements funded by impact fees are limited

to water supply production, treatment, and distribution facilities;

waste water collection, treatment, and disposal facilities; roads,

streets, and bridges, including landscaping, rights-of-way, and

signals, and any local components of state or federal highways;

stormwater collection, retention, detention, treatment, and disposal

facilities; flood control facilities; bank and shore protection

and enhancement improvements; parks, open space, and

recreation areas and related facilities; public safety facilities;

library and related facilities.

Cherokee has impact fees to pay for roads, parks, public safety, and libraries. Schools are taboo.

Changes to the Georgia Development Impact Fee Act may allow what you say, which is the BOC using impact fees to fund education projects.

Unfortunately, I know exactly how many PRD lots are out there, as 1015 of them are behind my 3 acres of woods just waiting for sewer and suckers. I will soon be surrounded by crap shacks.

I wonder if GA's large number of counties have any impact on the higher cost of education in GA as compared to the amount spent on students. GA is only second to TX in the # of counties, and that's only because TX is so huge. Every other state has fewer and larger counties. I know that all systems are not based on counties, but if we have more systems with supers and other administrators in each system, that has to be more over-head as compared to the number of students in a system. Does that make any sense?

I agree that GA's education system needs work, but the schools alone can not fix the problem with student achievement and the drop-out rate. Part of the problem is way beyond the school's control.