Paulding.com

Letter to Paulding teachers and residents from Will Avery

Will,

What do you think about schools subcontracting out services like the After School Program and the middle school sports programs to companies who do not have to follow the strict licensing/certification/hiring practices as local school boards?

What is your position on raising the cost of cigarettes and alcoholic beverages to help us out of this budget crunch?

• Like 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A breath of fresh air! Good to see you in the race, Will!

To my knowledge, no other candidate has claimed to have the answer. An entire building full of Georgia Representatives were unable to fully fund education at anywhere near 2007 levels. I am asking ju

Will,   What do you think about schools subcontracting out services like the After School Program and the middle school sports programs to companies who do not have to follow the strict licensing/ce

Will,

What do you think about schools subcontracting out services like the After School Program and the middle school sports programs to companies who do not have to follow the strict licensing/certification/hiring practices as local school boards?

What is your position on raising the cost of cigarettes and alcoholic beverages to help us out of this budget crunch?

As to your first question, I don't think that subcontracting after school programs and sports will really save any money. Most after school programs and sports are supervised or coached by already salaried teachers. Middle School coaches may make a small stipend for their time, but nowhere near enough to compensate for the amount of hour devoted to said programs. Sports are an important aspect for kids. It gives them the opportunity to learn discipline and to explore different interests that they may be good at. In addition, often, subcontracting procedures opens the door for special deals on contracts and corruption that I don't think any of us really want to see happen.

I will be honest with everyone about the cigarette tax. I am unfortunately still a smoker, and I do support an increase in our state's cigarette tax. Georgia is 47th lowest in cigarette taxes in the nation. The way that I view a cigarette tax is that it is voluntary, you chose to pay it when you smoke, so it can't be viewed in my opinion as a specific targeted tax increase. It would be a valuable revenue source in times such as these. Some may burn me for this, but I promise to be honest on my stances.

Will Avery

As to your first question, I don't think that subcontracting after school programs and sports will really save any money. Most after school programs and sports are supervised or coached by already salaried teachers. Middle School coaches may make a small stipend for their time, but nowhere near enough to compensate for the amount of hour devoted to said programs. Sports are an important aspect for kids. It gives them the opportunity to learn discipline and to explore different interests that they may be good at. In addition, often, subcontracting procedures opens the door for special deals on contracts and corruption that I don't think any of us really want to see happen.

I will be honest with everyone about the cigarette tax. I am unfortunately still a smoker, and I do support an increase in our state's cigarette tax. Georgia is 47th lowest in cigarette taxes in the nation. The way that I view a cigarette tax is that it is voluntary, you chose to pay it when you smoke, so it can't be viewed in my opinion as a specific targeted tax increase. It would be a valuable revenue source in times such as these. Some may burn me for this, but I promise to be honest on my stances.

Will Avery

Will, the issues I have expressed on the outsourcing of ASP, bus drivers, etc. is NOT about the amount of money saved. Maybe you should research this one a bit more prior to commenting. You COMPLETELY missed the point. dry.gif

After school program "ASP" is offered at the elementary level as a form of daycare for working parents. It's been mentioned that the BOE has discussed outsourcing this program. It is overseen by paid staffers.

You should also research what has happened to the middle school sports.

Will, the issues I have expressed on the outsourcing of ASP, bus drivers, etc. is NOT about the amount of money saved. Maybe you should research this one a bit more prior to commenting. You COMPLETELY missed the point. dry.gif

After school program "ASP" is offered at the elementary level as a form of daycare for working parents. It's been mentioned that the BOE has discussed outsourcing this program. It is overseen by paid staffers.

There are massive problems with outsourcing these things. Teachers are certified and have years of training in dealing with kids. Who assures us that the employees of the third party company are up to the same standards as our teachers? We need to make sure that our kids are in the most well trained capable hands.

There are massive problems with outsourcing these things. Teachers are certified and have years of training in dealing with kids. Who assures us that the employees of the third party company are up to the same standards as our teachers? We need to make sure that our kids are in the most well trained capable hands.

Actually the company making the proposal said they would give the present employees the first opportunity to take the jobs. They planned to hire two administrators who would be from Paulding. Do you view this as an opportunity for Paulding residents to be employed or something the school should not consider.

You mean the stimulus money that my Grandchildren will be paying back? If we had better policies on the Federal level we might have more tax revenue because folks could open businesses and our residents would have jobs and be able to pay taxes. Did you ever consider that if the bail outs and stimulus packages had not happened we would already be climbing out of this?

How would we be climbing out?? What would make this happen??

How would we be climbing out?? What would make this happen??

The system would have already taken care of the bad debt and without government interference the big businesses who were bailed out would have had to restructure and make it in the free market. The countries who did less of the bailouts are already doing better. We apparently learned nothing from the great depression because we are repeating the same mistakes. This thread is about local candidates though and I can't vote for someone who is on board with the party who is driving the economy over a cliff.

Guest Hi~ho Silver

You mean the stimulus money that my Grandchildren will be paying back? If we had better policies on the Federal level we might have more tax revenue because folks could open businesses and our residents would have jobs and be able to pay taxes. Did you ever consider that if the bail outs and stimulus packages had not happened we would already be climbing out of this?

Absolutely. The economy is trying to turn around in spite of the Feds. The State has got to cut back. Nothing is off the table. Suspending the Homestead Exemption is a back door tax increase. If the Candidates want to use education as a spring board, fine with me. What they have to understand, from the Governor on down the line, is that these massive taxes have got to stop. They can't keep passing increase after increase. Government, at all levels, has lived beyond their means for years. We are in the 70% range already. When does it stop, Mr. Avery?

Besides the typical election promises, what do you propose for tax relief?

Absolutely. The economy is trying to turn around in spite of the Feds. The State has got to cut back. Nothing is off the table. Suspending the Homestead Exemption is a back door tax increase. If the Candidates want to use education as a spring board, fine with me. What they have to understand, from the Governor on down the line, is that these massive taxes have got to stop. They can't keep passing increase after increase. Government, at all levels, has lived beyond their means for years. We are in the 70% range already. When does it stop, Mr. Avery?

Besides the typical election promises, what do you propose for tax relief?

Other than the homestead exemption debacle, there have been no tax increases this session. I do not favor any tax increases on individuals or families, or for that matter small businesses. Currently, Georgia's tax rate is right around 10 percent which is about middle of the pack as compared to the rest of the nation. So in my opinion, the current tax at the state level is not the issue. Right now, there are a lot of politicians that are running on a no-tax platform. The honest truth is that there have to be taxes of some sort. We have to fund the DOT, we have to fund peachcare, we have to fund education, we have to fund police departments and fire protection. Without some sort of tax, none of these services would be available to anyone of us. There are ways to fix current shortfalls (or at least partially) without raising any taxes.

I will give an example of how the current administration in the state is trying to pull a fast one on all of us. The original proposed budget cuts for higher education was 300,000,000. When the higher ed appropriations subcommittee came out with this number everyone freaked out. The University System of Georgia came back and said "holy cow" look at all this stuff we are going to have to cut. They proposed getting rid of 4-H, cutting county extension services, closing colleges (one of the suggestions was to close the new GA Highlands campus in Dallas). Then all of a sudden, Purdue and the higher ed subcommittee come back and say, "well now we realize it is only going to be around 117,000,000." However, what they didn't really let anyone know what that the way they got it down so low was through applying stimulus funds designated for next year, to this year's budget. Rather than helping to fix a problem, the put it off for another year, allowing it to fester and be someone else's burden to bear. This in my opinion is a major problem.

Will

Other than the homestead exemption debacle, there have been no tax increases this session. I do not favor any tax increases on individuals or families, or for that matter small businesses. Currently, Georgia's tax rate is right around 10 percent which is about middle of the pack as compared to the rest of the nation. So in my opinion, the current tax at the state level is not the issue. Right now, there are a lot of politicians that are running on a no-tax platform. The honest truth is that there have to be taxes of some sort. We have to fund the DOT, we have to fund peachcare, we have to fund education, we have to fund police departments and fire protection. Without some sort of tax, none of these services would be available to anyone of us. There are ways to fix current shortfalls (or at least partially) without raising any taxes.

I will give an example of how the current administration in the state is trying to pull a fast one on all of us. The original proposed budget cuts for higher education was 300,000,000. When the higher ed appropriations subcommittee came out with this number everyone freaked out. The University System of Georgia came back and said "holy cow" look at all this stuff we are going to have to cut. They proposed getting rid of 4-H, cutting county extension services, closing colleges (one of the suggestions was to close the new GA Highlands campus in Dallas). Then all of a sudden, Purdue and the higher ed subcommittee come back and say, "well now we realize it is only going to be around 117,000,000." However, what they didn't really let anyone know what that the way they got it down so low was through applying stimulus funds designated for next year, to this year's budget. Rather than helping to fix a problem, the put it off for another year, allowing it to fester and be someone else's burden to bear. This in my opinion is a major problem.

Will

Actually Will, they transferred $342 million in Education Stabilization from the FY 2011 budget to the FY 2010 budget (our current fiscal year which is half over) supplementary budget to cover shortfalls that would occur between now and June 31, the end of FY 2010. Had they not done so, the school systems would have faced immediate cuts beyond those originally included in this Fiscal year's budget. Furthermore, they put off nothing. They passed a balanced budget for FY 2011 without the use of this money, so the exchange of that stimulus money from the originally proposed FY 2011 budget has already been addressed and it is not "somebody elses burden to bear."

Edited to add the following from the House's FY 2011 Budget analysis:

Recovery Act Education Stabilization Funding in the FY 2011 Budget

Governor’s Original Proposal for Regents: $140,205,158

House Version: $23,186,142

Change: -$117,019,016

Total Education Stabilization Funding

Governor: $506,521,873

House: $163,895,649

Change: -$342,626,224 that was transferred to the current fiscal year to avoid further cuts and layoffs during the current school year.

Will

Those of us who were paying attention knew it! I guess you would have voted to cut those programs instead? How would you have solved that problem. I see a lot of "they didn't do it right" but not much of "this is the way I would solve it".

Those of us who were paying attention knew it! I guess you would have voted to cut those programs instead? How would you have solved that problem. I see a lot of "they didn't do it right" but not much of "this is the way I would solve it".

I have listed at least three solutions that could have been explored (point of sale bill, corporate and special interest tax exemptions, and a possible increase in the cigarette tax). There is honestly nothing we can do about the current budget for next year. However, we can do things to make sure these bills make it to the floor next year. I can not tell you how many hours I spent lobbying for these bills during this past session. I am not a professional lobbyist by any means, but I went and talked to people, for hours at a time at the Capitol. I do care about these issues, and know that at least parts of the cuts could have been alleviated.

I know that there is probably no chance that I could convince you to any of this, but I want people to know where I stand on these issues. I do believe i have addressed all of the questions that you have sent my way. I do appreciate you trying to keep me accountable for what I say!

Will Avery

The system would have already taken care of the bad debt and without government interference the big businesses who were bailed out would have had to restructure and make it in the free market. The countries who did less of the bailouts are already doing better. We apparently learned nothing from the great depression because we are repeating the same mistakes. This thread is about local candidates though and I can't vote for someone who is on board with the party who is driving the economy over a cliff.

NJ In reading some of your past post, YOU really know better that the garbage in this post.

The State of Georgia has/will receive over 5 Billion dollars of stimulus money, With over half of the simulus money goimg to education.

http://stimulusaccountability.ga.gov/02/gov/stimulus/home/0,2804,134245182,00.html

Having said that since the Republicans have had total control of the State of Georgia and Paulding County for a number of years now, Do they share some of the responsibility for the mess that the State and County is in???

You got to remember that the State Legislature also passed some stimulus bills for the state, How do you feel about the Republicans doing this??

Since Education received/or will receive over 2 Billion of this stimulus dollars from the feds, can you live with the cuts in education that would have occured had this stimulus not been received?

TARP Dollars was passed under the Bush Adminstration and was a Bi Partisian bill Supported by both NcCain and Obama, Furthermore a large part of these dollars have been repaid, With interest.

You got to remember that all of the good CONSERVATIVE Republicans fell all over themselves boarding planes going to Washington applying for the stimulus dollars, especially the Conservatives from the State of Georgia.The only compliant that I know of from the Georgia delegation was the extension of unemployment benefits RIGHT?????

Remember the Photo ops in Carrollton and Cedartown With our very own Dr. Phil Gingrey? Did you read where Dr. Phil Obtained funding for the defunct airport??

If not for the stimulus dollars the State of Georgia would be on the verge of Bankruptcy.

Amazing that you should use the phrase that our grand children will have to pay for all of this, I used the same phrase on the School Bond, Courthouse, Fire tax, Greenspace and the massive explosive uncontrolled growth in the County, Yet the Paulding County Republican Party crammed all this down our throats RIGHT????

• Like 1

NJ In reading some of your past post, YOU really know better that the garbage in this post.

The State of Georgia has/will receive over 5 Billion dollars of stimulus money, With over half of the simulus money goimg to education.

http://stimulusaccou...stimulus/home/0,2804,134245182,00.html

Having said that since the Republicans have had total control of the State of Georgia and Paulding County for a number of years now, Do they share some of the responsibility for the mess that the State and County is in???

You got to remember that the State Legislature also passed some stimulus bills for the state, How do you feel about the Republicans doing this??

Since Education received/or will receive over 2 Billion of this stimulus dollars from the feds, can you live with the cuts in education that would have occured had this stimulus not been received?

TARP Dollars was passed under the Bush Adminstration and was a Bi Partisian bill Supported by both NcCain and Obama, Furthermore a large part of these dollars have been repaid, With interest.

You got to remember that all of the good CONSERVATIVE Republicans fell all over themselves boarding planes going to Washington applying for the stimulus dollars, especially the Conservatives from the State of Georgia.The only compliant that I know of from the Georgia delegation was the extension of unemployment benefits RIGHT?????

Remember the Photo ops in Carrollton and Cedartown With our very own Dr. Phil Gingrey? Did you read where Dr. Phil Obtained funding for the defunct airport??

If not for the stimulus dollars the State of Georgia would be on the verge of Bankruptcy.

Amazing that you should use the phrase that our grand children will have to pay for all of this, I used the same phrase on the School Bond, Courthouse, Fire tax, Greenspace and the massive explosive uncontrolled growth in the County, Yet the Paulding County Republican Party crammed all this down our throats RIGHT????

You are still trying to absolve the Feds in all of this which means Obama and his policies. I don't think we should have had the stimulus and we should have dealt with the issues and cut things from the budget a long time ago. That is what all of us are doing with our own finances (If we are responsible). I do believe this thread is about local elections and I hate that so much is tied to the current policies of the President and his Czars. They most definitely are though.

• Like 1

As to your first question, I don't think that subcontracting after school programs and sports will really save any money. Most after school programs and sports are supervised or coached by already salaried teachers.

Will Avery

I don't think it will save money either. It might be better to just raise the rates instead of a complete overhaul.

Wow! We are giving away our smokes! I liked your answer to this.

Edited by CeeJay

Madea-

I was also wondering what the deal was with the school calendar. I mean why are we starting school in the hottest month of the year and having a break every 6 weeks? I would love to see a power bill from one high school in Paulding county for the month of August versus the month of September. I mean how much money would we be saving there?

• 1 month later...

So, you'll just blame the republicans and be done with offering up other solutions. Got it.

While I appreciate that you have addressed this current "hot button" issue, I don't believe education funding is the root of the problems facing the 19th district. Education seems to be your primary focus. Why start your political career with State Representative? Why not lend your expertise to the Board of Education? State School Super? Why are you beginning your political career with such lofty goals? What else can you bring to Paulding County? What solutions can you offer the County's largest employer employees who will be unemployed?

That one bill seems to be your focus? It didn't pass. What else do you have?

Oh, and the 19th district didn't have any leadership during this last session!!! We sent an inexperienced person who gained us nothing and couldn't be bothered with learning and attending to every vote. So, yes, we need new leadership. What will we gain by sending yet another person with zero political experience?

Attached is 19th District's Representative Daniel Stout's Voting record and the reasons he voted as he did. For a so called inexperienced person his record looks pretty good to me and I will do what I can to send him back to the Capitol to represent the 19th district.

stout-voting-record-2010.pdf

Attached is 19th District's Representative Daniel Stout's Voting record and the reasons he voted as he did. For a so called inexperienced person his record looks pretty good to me and I will do what I can to send him back to the Capitol to represent the 19th district.

welcome to pcom

...having to teach in fear that their job will not be available in a few weeks ....

Welcome to the real world.

We have a want-to-be professor, who's married to a teacher and whose parents are both teachers, who wants us to donate to his campaign so he can give everyone in his family a raise and government-protected job security that none of us have.

What a platform. :rofl:

• Like 2

Actually Will, they transferred $342 million in Education Stabilization from the FY 2011 budget to the FY 2010 budget (our current fiscal year which is half over) supplementary budget to cover shortfalls that would occur between now and June 31, the end of FY 2010. Had they not done so, the school systems would have faced immediate cuts beyond those originally included in this Fiscal year's budget. Furthermore, they put off nothing. They passed a balanced budget for FY 2011 without the use of this money, so the exchange of that stimulus money from the originally proposed FY 2011 budget has already been addressed and it is not "somebody elses burden to bear."

Edited to add the following from the House's FY 2011 Budget analysis:

Recovery Act Education Stabilization Funding in the FY 2011 Budget

Governor’s Original Proposal for Regents: $140,205,158

House Version: $23,186,142

Change: -$117,019,016

Total Education Stabilization Funding

Governor: $506,521,873

House: $163,895,649

Change: -$342,626,224 that was transferred to the current fiscal year to avoid further cuts and layoffs during the current school year.

Don't confuse him with the facts. He's needs to get his entire family tree a raise and hold the state hostage like the teacher's unions have done in New Jersey. We need a Chris Christie for this seat and not a bleeding heart liberal who divides the county by using the same old emotionally-charged liberal rhetoric of "do it for the children".

Don't confuse him with the facts. He's needs to get his entire family tree a raise and hold the state hostage like the teacher's unions have done in New Jersey. We need a Chris Christie for this seat and not a bleeding heart liberal who divides the county by using the same old emotionally-charged liberal rhetoric of "do it for the children".

Have you ever even met Mr. Avery? I mean you are levying some serious accusations. Would you like to provide us with some proof? Perhaps you know something we all do not, or are you just speculating as to the nature of another's character? Please, enlighten us, because we all want to know. What superpower do you behold that somehow gives you the foresight to say that Mr. Avery wants to give his family a raise? Perhaps you know if either of his parents are retired? Can you tell me that?

Or, just maybe, you are a Republican with nothing bad to say about Will Avery, so you need to make things up. This is a problem with petty partisanship: people, instead of discussing issues, lie, cheat, and steal their way to get what they want. So I ask you one more time. Please provide me with some proof, rather than just empty rhetoric and lies.

Do you have anything positive to say? Maybe if we work together we can hammer out something that works. All this negativity is not good for anything or anybody. Has any other candidate for this position offered a plan or even opened themselves up to this sort of feedback? :pardon:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because he wants to know tough answers, you call it negative. :rofl: :rofl:

And I'll do whatever I can ato stop him. Apparently transparency and honesty in office mean nothing to you. It means a lot to me.

Will, could you list what your political platform is? If you are running as a democrat, what ideas do you side with the dems and what ideas about the GOP platform do you disagree? That would be a great starting point for me. thanks

Hey Einstein! It was your Republicans that used that line. :lol:

That's funny as hell right there! So I guess that means that the Paulding County Republican Party consist of a bunch of bleeding heart liberals. :lol:

And I'll do whatever I can ato stop him. Apparently transparency and honesty in office mean nothing to you. It means a lot to me.

Madea, Are you speaking of his marital indiscretion or is there something else? You can PM me if you do not want to put it on the board.

Thanks I appreciate it. I am still in the deciding phase of that race.

Bella

After the asshat remarks that some have made on here, I doubt that Will would even step back in. I would not even waste my time if I was him.

I met Mr. Avery. I asked him a lot of questions. I am a pretty conservative guy, but I am not afraid to look at all of my options. Our choices in this race suck! I really liked Will's responses and I believe that he is sincere in his endeavors. Is he perfect? No. Is he better than the Three Stooges that are running in the Republican Primary? Hell yes!

I will most likely do something that I have not done in many years, this November. I will be voting for a Democrat. A fairly conservative, level headed Democrat that appears to sleep with his own wife and does not have ties to big business or crooked politicians. If I don't like how he represents me, I will either vote him out or run against him.

Welcome to the real world.

We have a want-to-be professor, who's married to a teacher and whose parents are both teachers, who wants us to donate to his campaign so he can give everyone in his family a raise and government-protected job security that none of us have.

What a platform. :rofl:

That elephant's trunk is stuck so far up your ass that it is affecting your ability to think in a civilized manner. You may want to swing by the Proctologist and get that checked out.

This site used to be a great place to hold a forum. This kind of crap is why it is a shell of what it used to be.

That elephant's trunk is stuck so far up your ass that it is affecting your ability to think in a civilized manner. You may want to swing by the Proctologist and get that checked out.

This site used to be a great place to hold a forum. This kind of crap is why it is a shell of what it used to be.

I am quite doubtful a proctologist can cure his problem. I am afraid it will take an ass to remove that elephant snout from his rectum.

I am still undecided, but like you, I have met with Will and am impressed. I have not kids in school and won't have grandkids in them for years to come, but I still say our children are our future and it is our responsibility to ensure the kids get a proper education. I think Will can help make that happen.

Madea, Are you speaking of his marital indiscretion or is there something else? You can PM me if you do not want to put it on the board.

Thanks I appreciate it. I am still in the deciding phase of that race.

Bella

He entered the special election with that huge skeleton in his closet. He KNEW it had the potential to come out and entered anyway. He has humiliated ALL of Paulding County. I have more to say, but not enough time right now.

Will Avery sounded pretty good last night at the Dallas theater,he had some good answers.

I missed last night, so he must have done much better than at Stars & Strikes. To me he sounded like an Obama clone.

He entered the special election with that huge skeleton in his closet. He KNEW it had the potential to come out and entered anyway. He has humiliated ALL of Paulding County. I have more to say, but not enough time right now.

I missed last night, so he must have done much better than at Stars & Strikes. To me he sounded like an Obama clone.

He speaks as if he's been in politician training school for the last 4 years.

Will Avery sounded pretty good last night at the Dallas theater,he had some good answers.

To me Will Avery was the best prepared candidate in the District 19 race, And expressed himself very well.

He also gave the clearest answers to the questions posed to him and was completely aware of the problems facing the school district throughout Georgia

I thought Paulette was a little Tacky with the hammer and cigar skit And while she was prepared to repeat what is contained on her web site, I do not think It resonated with the audience.

Golden did an good job of getting His points across that is contained in his web site However he failed to answer the question posed to him by the moderator, Instead opting to answer the question posed to the very first candidate, Almost as if he had prepared himself for that question??

Now Stout was off his game period last night

Why did you not speak last night?

To me Will Avery was the best prepared candidate in the District 19 race, And expressed himself very well.

He also gave the clearest answers to the questions posed to him and was completely aware of the problems facing the school district throughout Georgia

I thought Paulette was a little Tacky with the hammer and cigar skit And while she was prepared to repeat what is contained on her web site, I do not think It resonated with the audience.

Golden did an good job of getting His points across that is contained in his web site However he failed to answer the question posed to him by the moderator, Instead opting to answer the question posed to the very first candidate, Almost as if he had prepared himself for that question??

Now Stout was off his game period last night

Why did you not speak last night?

Avery has no clue as to how to keep all teachers employed and their jobs protected although that is one of his campaign promises. No money and he would do it anyway. Typical make more debt or raise taxes liberal thinking.nea.gif

Avery has no clue as to how to keep all teachers employed and their jobs protected although that is one of his campaign promises. No money and he would do it anyway. Typical make more debt or raise taxes liberal thinking.nea.gif

You were there, Did your candidate for House District 19 give an answer to the question that was asked him by the moderator?

On the contrary. If you look back through this thread, I have discussed several options that would increase revenue and help protect the jobs of educators. Such solutions are looking at rolling back the tax exemptions that airlines such as Delta receives on their fuel. Airlines are about to get even more tax exemptions from the TSPLOST referendum that is going to be on the ballot statewide in 2012. Or how about a point of sale bill that was proposed by Rep. Dubose Porter but was not allowed to come out of committee. A similar bill enacted in Alabama a few years ago found over 5 billion in unreported sales tax revenue.

You can accuse me of being a Democrat, but you can not accuse me not not coming into this with solutions.