Paulding.com

Airport meeting on WSB News

The Airport Authority meeting was on the news at noon on WSB. Those concerned and asking questions were told they could not speak. They said the plans are done and "we do not need the public's approval." Arrogant much?

There will be an interview with the district commissioner who was unaware of the plans on the news this evening.

• Like 1
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, I don't know..I thought it was very informative...if you didn't want to know anything except that they could care less what the public thought...

I really feel like David Austin did Todd wrong.... arrogance (or cowardice) on Mr Austin's part. I will not be voting for David Austin.

I live in the same subdivision as LPPT..............Paulding airport will not affect me directly,and I don't care if Todd knew about the expansion or not.   What I do care about and every one should

The Airport Authority meeting was on the news at noon on WSB. Those concerned and asking questions were told they could not speak. They said the plans are done and "we do not need the public's approval." Arrogant much?

There will be an interview with the district commissioner who was unaware of the plans on the news this evening.

No but they do need FAA approval, don't they. :rolleyes:

Wow, that's a great positive attitude to start a new venture with.

And that is what pisses me off.

This airport really does not affect me,I live in north paulding(where the reservoir is suppossed to be).......I'll be glad when it's re-election time

• Like 1

I didn't see an interview. I saw a tiny, tiny segment, that seemed to only last a few seconds. Did I somehow miss it?

I saw the news report.

Paulding County was not represented very well.

I wish there would have been a more compassionate explanation. Even a promise of open disclosure in the future would have sounded better.

Of course I was not hired to be their PR representative, and I don't get a vote.

Todd said he knew why he was left out of the loop since last November... Something like "they knew he was open and transparent".

With the airport report, the update on the 12 year old's death and the story of the local young lady who was murdered last week's funeral arrangements... Paulding county news was sickening tonight.

I was there. All of the citizens of Paulding County should have been there. I was surprised the Fire Department was not called. There was smoke filling the room!

On the news report I felt Blake came across as a bully. And Todd came across as a saint.

Was this the way it looked in the room, or did the news slant the picture?

Where is the impact study?? What businesses are falling all over themselves to move to Paulding when the airport is complete?

<snip>

Airport Noise Affects Children

Airport noise can also have negative effects on children's health and development. A 1980 study examining the impact of airport noise on children's health found higher blood pressure in kids living near Los Angeles' LAX airport than in those living farther away. A 1995 German study found a link between chronic noise exposure at Munich's International Airport and elevated nervous system activity and cardiovascular levels in children living nearby. And a 2005 study published in the prestigious British medical journal, The Lancet, found that kids living near airports in Britain, Holland and Spain lagged behind their classmates in reading by two months for every five decibel increase above average noise levels in their surroundings. The study also associated aircraft noise with lowered reading comprehension, even after socio-economic differences were considered.

Citizen Groups Concerned About Effects of Airport Noise and Pollution

Living near an airport also means facing significant exposure to air pollution. Jack Saporito of the U.S. Citizens Aviation Watch Association (CAW), a coalition of concerned municipalities and advocacy groups, cites several studies linking pollutants common around airports--such as diesel exhaust, carbon monoxide and leaked chemicals--to cancer, asthma, liver damage, lung disease, lymphoma, myeloid leukemia, and even depression. CAW is lobbying for the clean up of jet engine exhaust as well as the scrapping or modification of airport expansion plans across the country.

http://environment.a...rport_noise.htm

Edited by tundra

Richard Grant, who has been covering these bodies for the New Era and before that the Neighbor, is doing some coverage for Pcom now as well. I just posted his short video on this meeting if you want an interview with both Todd and Blake as well as his take on today's meeting. click here

I saw the news report.

Paulding County was not represented very well.

I wish there would have been a more compassionate explanation. Even a promise of open disclosure in the future would have sounded better.

Of course I was not hired to be their PR representative, and I don't get a vote.

Todd said he knew why he was left out of the loop since last November... Something like "they knew he was open and transparent".

With the airport report, the update on the 12 year old's death and the story of the local young lady who was murdered last week's funeral arrangements... Paulding county news was sickening tonight.

You are absolutely correct, there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

I understand the nuts and bolts of the airport. Why the county is doing what they are doing and most definitely why.

I know where some folks stand on the issue, nothing short of the thing bombed and wiped off the face of the earth will do.

But the disrespect,the arrogance is fuel on the flames. For the first time I am actually thinking about the karma of the airport and it's history.

The successful air show, the prospect of 1000's of well paying jobs should be positive. The majority of people should be pleased and proud.

All the hard work and money are coming to fruition.

I took a look with google earth, around 5 homes are being negatively impacted due to the the direction of the runway. Another 100 may actually be able to hear planes, but are out of the path of take off and landing.

Also the mayor of Atlanta and Delta are not done with us by a long shot.

We should be behind our leaders, as in how dare them try to deny us 1000's of above average jobs for our people.

There should be no negativity at this point, but yet there is plenty. Why? that's all why?

I think it may be time to stop looking at the folks that disagree and start looking at some attitudes. Nobody likes having salt rubbed in their wounds by those with a superior attitude.

It's not just the airport issues, it is a lot of others also and at the bottom of it every time is arrogance and disrespect.

I have tried to be positive and supportive, because I love business, I love growth and most of all prosperity for as many that want to reach for it.

It really is getting harder. :(

Where is the impact study?? What businesses are falling all over themselves to move to Paulding when the airport is complete?

http://environment.a...rport_noise.htm

Google the area, not many folks will deal with noise if at all.

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct, there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

I understand the nuts and bolts of the airport. Why the county is doing what they are doing and most definitely why.

I know where some folks stand on the issue, nothing short of the thing bombed and wiped off the face of the earth will do.

But the disrespect,the arrogance is fuel on the flames. For the first time I am actually thinking about the karma of the airport and it's history.

The successful air show, the prospect of 1000's of well paying jobs should be positive. The majority of people should be pleased and proud.

I took a look with google earth, around 5 homes are being negatively impacted due to the the direction of the runway. Another 100 may actually be able to hear planes, but are out of the path of take off and landing.

We should be behind our leaders, as in how dare them try to deny us 1000's of above average jobs for our people.

There should be no negativity at this point, but yet there is plenty. Why? that's all why?

I think it may be time to stop looking at the folks that disagree and start looking at some attitudes. Nobody likes having salt rubbed in their wounds by those with a superior attitude.

It's not just the airport issues, it is a lot of others also and at the bottom of it every time is arrogance and disrespect.

I have tried to be positive and supportive, because I love business, I love growth and most of all prosperity for as many that want to reach for it.

Please tell me what companies are going to move here because of the airport. I'm not trying to be snarky or smart but generally those things are in place before the money is spent.

I would also love to see the impact study that was done.

You can call it arrogance and disrespect but there are people that feel that's exactly what the Airport Authority and elected officials have given the voters of Paulding County. Yes, they remember how horribly they were treated about the toll road. Attitude reflects leadership. Respect begets respect, it's earned not given because you sit on some board or campaign for an elected positions.

They are going to have to answer some tough questions in the very near future, are they going to answer them or duck out the back door.

• Like 3

I agree about the disrespect. Nothing sets folks in motion like being talked down to and treated like worthless bugs.

• Like 2

Please tell me what companies are going to move here because of the airport. I'm not trying to be snarky or smart but generally those things are in place before the money is spent.

I would also love to see the impact study that was done.

You can call it arrogance and disrespect but there are people that feel that's exactly what the Airport Authority and elected officials have given the voters of Paulding County. Yes, they remember how horribly they were treated about the toll road. Attitude reflects leadership. Respect begets respect, it's earned not given because you sit on some board or campaign for an elected positions.

They are going to have to answer some tough questions in the very near future, are they going to answer them or duck out the back door.

Economic development is going well and the airport absolutely is a big plus in the game.

I am beginning to worry about companies asking why Paulding citizens cop an attitude towards economic development.

Most folks want well paying jobs, they want decent value in their homes, those that are in business for themselves benefit. There really are no negatives.

Why are people so negative? We have all new commissioners, we have new blood in the county as far as big players.

There is a problem, time to find it and deal with it.

• Like 2

I agree about the disrespect. Nothing sets folks in motion like being talked down to and treated like worthless bugs.

I know most of the county officials as do you. At this point they are all being painted with the same brush.

I am not sure who made the announcement today that they did not need to hear from the people of this county because they did not need their input, they could do anything they wanted. Quite a few elected officials sit on that board and were not there to face the people.

I support economic development and even the decision about Propeller. I don't support what happened today.

• Like 1

I know most of the county officials as do you. At this point they are all being painted with the same brush.

I am not sure who made the announcement today that they did not need to hear from the people of this county because they did not need their input, they could do anything they wanted. Quite a few elected officials sit on that board and were not there to face the people.

I support economic development and even the decision about Propeller. I don't support what happened today.

I am still looking at the Airport issue. What happened today is not cool. It will come back to bite. JMO

• Like 1

Economic development is going well and the airport absolutely is a big plus in the game.

I am beginning to worry about companies asking why Paulding citizens cop an attitude towards economic development.

Most folks want well paying jobs, they want decent value in their homes, those that are in business for themselves benefit. There really are no negatives.

Why are people so negative? We have all new commissioners, we have new blood in the county as far as big players.

The negativity comes from the attitude of those running this county with arrogance and disrespect. These are not all new commissioners. They are in greater part the same wolves in different clothing. Today was a fine example of their true approach. It is not only with the airport but in every decision made.

• Like 2

Your quote has been challenged by someone there. Do you have video to back this up?

The negativity comes from the attitude of those running this county with arrogance and disrespect. These are not all new commissioners. They are in greater part the same wolves in different clothing. Today was a fine example of their true approach. It is not only with the airport but in every decision made.

Look I am not anti airport, anti progress, or even anti folks getting rich.

The community should be celebrating this and the progress of economic development. This needs to be fixed.

WSBTV Channel 2 news at noon

I can't find that quote or who said it anywhere. The way it is stated is offensive to all the people in this county and reflects terribly on everyone on the airport authority. It is very important to substantiate it word for word.

I can't find that quote or who said it anywhere. The way it is stated is offensive to all the people in this county and reflects terribly on everyone on the airport authority. It is very important to substantiate it word for word.

I was at the meeting. There was a discussion from Tom Cable and Calvin Thompson regarding the rules for speaking at the authority meetings. I never heard anyone on the airport authority board or their representatives say anything during the course of the meeting close to what was posted. I did not hear any of the individual interviews with reporters following the meeting so I have no idea if it was said at that time but I'm 99% certain it was never said to the audience during the meeting.

:rolleyes: We've been in business 23 years in Paulding County. I find the citizens and most people I meet quite pleasant.

Edited by tundra

If you're all so concerned about business coming to Paulding, why aren't you trying to keep the existing companies here??

You want to know what the county thinks of my business?? They banned it on 278 and business 6.

Edited by tundra

This is from wsbtvradio.com:

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/paulding-co-protestors-hope-stop-airport-commercia/nbNy9/

Paulding Co. protestors hope to stop airport commercialization

Paulding County, GA —

Well after most construction workers have gone home for the day, the giant earthmovers at Silver Comet Field in Paulding County continue to rumble from the huge mounds of stockpiled dirt to the departure end of Runway 31, adding on to the length of the concrete strip. This work is necessary for the airline traffic that is expected to begin arriving here before the end of the year.

It's all part of the return of Propeller Investments, the company that tried to privatize Gwinnett County's Briscoe Field last year. That effort was knocked down by Gwinnett County Commission after a bribery debacle that saw Commissioner Shirley Lassiter and her son sent to federal prison.

This time, Airport Director Blake Swafford said the deal is bullet-proof. Work is underway and Propeller Investments has been on board for almost a year.

"Did we keep this a secret? No. Did we keep it quiet? Yes. Propeller set up an LLC and operated under the name Silver Comet because of the activity at Briscoe Field that has no relation to what's happening here," Swafford said. "At Silver Comet Field, they're starting with a clean slate."

But that's not how Sue Wilkins and her husband, Mike, see it. They believe the secrecy that surrounded the deal bringing Propeller Investments to Briscoe was intentional and unconscionable here in Paulding County.

"(County Chairman David Austin) kept secrets about this. He used code names for certain projects and refused to trust a county commissioner he thought might spill his secrets," she said.

Post 2 County Commissioner Todd Pownall says he was kept in the dark about the airport lease to Propeller Investments. In a heated County Commission meeting shortly after the lease was made public, Pownall blasted County Chairman Austin for keeping it from him. In return. Austin intimated Pownall couldn't be trusted.

Tuesday's airport authority meeting is open to the public, but members of the public will not be allowed to speak.

"Some folks have asked to be on the agenda," said Swafford. "If they want to talk with me, call me. Make an appointment. But the board meets for one hour, one day a month. We have substantial work to do. We can't allow public input."

</span>

Edited by I want my space!
  • Like 1

So, just to add on to the last reference post I just added. I was at that meeting this morning and we were informed that if any member of the public wanted to ask a question or make a comment, they have to go through Blake Swafford to get onto the agenda.

See bolded quotes from Swafford above. Do you really think BS would put anyone on the "agenda" who wasn't pro Commercial? Put 2 and 2 together, I think not.

People were being respectful the entire meeting, (raising hands, etc.) until it became clear the the AA was not going to take any "questions" from the citizens in attendance, because it wasn't on the "agenda".

It didn't get heated until the end of the meeting when *no one* from the AA could look anybody in the eye. Then, all of a sudden, they left BS hanging out to dry, to answer to the news camera crews that were there.

David Austin literally exited stage right and didn't say one word the entire meeting. That's a fact.

Great system we've got going on here folks. Great.

Edited by I want my space!
  • Like 2

Tuesday's airport authority meeting is open to the public, but members of the public will not be allowed to speak. "Some folks have asked to be on the agenda," said Swafford. "If they want to talk with me, call me. Make an appointment. But the board meets for one hour, one day a month. We have substantial work to do. We can't allow public input."[/size][/font][/color][/font][/color][/font][/color]</span>

It didn't get heated until the end of the meeting when *no one* from the AA could look anybody in the eye. Then, all of a sudden, they left BS hanging out to dry, to answer to the news camera crews that were there.David Austin literally exited stage right and didn't say one word the entire meeting. That's a fact.Great system we've got going on here folks. Great.

Ye gods. I mean, YE GODS. I swear, the politics in this county just suck. They just do.

I'd vote for Mr. Pownall if I lived in his district. But as it is, I will vote against Mr. Barnett, and I will vote against Mr. Austin (as I did last time, to no avail...but hope springs eternal).

• Like 3

This is where we are at, we have a few hundred people that will never go along with anything at the airport. They want it closed. It will not close the FAA will take it over and it will be used for whatever they deem suitable.

There are another few hundred that don't want any progress here, surely the same folks that turned industry away years ago are not still running the show.

Then you have the I hate David Austin and his cronies and I am against anything positive that makes them look good.

Then there are the I can't see it personally benefiting me in any way therefore it is no, no, no.

Nobody is up at the courthouse sniffing around to see what land is being zoned for commercial, what minimum wage business is seeking a license.

Everyone sees benefit in that, the more shopping and eating the better.

On the other hand their needs to be public approval of any industry that pays above average wages.

I have often suspected that large industry was turned away because some felt our small pond did not want bigger fish.

I also know that the game has always been some find favoritism with administration for their success. When it changes and folks are left out they are angry.

It never occurs to them that depending on the local government for success might be the first mistake.

A lot of folks involved in the housing business saw a huge reverse in fortunes. There is no way to change that and bring it back for them.

Manufacturing and industry is the only thing that will truly benefit the majority of people living in this county.

It is a shame that everything has to be kept secret because a handful pretend to speak for everyone in the county.

I am pretty sure that some of the disrespectful remarks are aimed at those that dog every footstep of those involved in economic progress.

No matter what is said about who, I think they made a great deal for our airport and they are doing the right things to bring in jobs.

The people that sit on boards are those that take on the responsibility and are ask to make judgements for whats best for everyone that lives here.

When you look at in terms of what benefits 140,000 people and 100 or so whose issues with progress are personal the decision is easy.

As far as impact on these people, go to google earth map see where the houses are. The impact is minimal if at all to those in the subdivision.

278 hardly has anything on it that far out.

Good industries that pay well above average salaries going into designated industrial parks should call for celebrations in a county that was devastated by the housing crash. The value of the homes will recover with a robust economy another reason for celebration. I am sure that our people that work for the government won't miss furlough days either.

Something is very wrong with people hating their local government and community leaders so much that they can not appreciate all the positive things happening to the economy here.

I imagine it is also very discouraging to those that are working towards these goals. For many they can not make a good decision in the eyes of some folks.

Somebody has to make the major decisions, and along with it I assume take criticism that goes along with it.

• Like 1

Let's hope they did their research. There are several open records requests in various stages.

MidAmerica St. Louis Airport was created to alleviate some crowding of Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, but has never had service from any major airline and has been criticized as a pork barrel project.[7] Featured several times as a "Fleecing of America" segment on the NBC Nightly News, it was called a "Gateway to Nowhere" by Tom Brokaw, costing taxpayers $313 million.[8] Supporters credit MidAmerica's additional runway with saving Scott AFB from closure during BRAC 2005. They also describe MidAmerica as a "Gateway to the World", citing a new cargo terminal and customs facility designed to attract international cargo.[3] Congestion at Lambert-St. Louis has not been a problem since American Airlines reduced hub operations by fifty percent in 2003 and a new billion-dollar runway opened in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia....._Louis_Airport

Edited by tundra

Google the area, not many folks will deal with noise if at all.

Just a suggestion...since the LOCAL leaders do not want our opinion....how about those opposed to the airport commercialization find a way to support Delta and Kasim Reed's efforts to prevent it?

Or, we can just argue about the how much the people WE voted for are abusing their power and then vote them back in next time...while we're still griping about their corruption.

I am so fed up with the good ol' boy system.

• Like 1

Let's hope they did their research. There are several open records requests in various stages.

So our leaders have taken steps to try and keep our airport from being a failure. Not only are they fighting a handful of locals Delta and the mayor of Atlanta are coming after them.

They are fighting for us to have an operational airport that provides thousands of jobs. What is wrong with this picture?

Again a handful want this airport to never be operational and are doing everything they can to achieve that.

There is no doubt had they known a year ago what was up they would have sabotaged it.

http://en.wikipedia....._Louis_Airport

Just a suggestion...since the LOCAL leaders do not want our opinion....how about those opposed to the airport commercialization find a way to support Delta and Kasim Reed's efforts to prevent it?

Or, we can just argue about the how much the people WE voted for are abusing their power and then vote them back in next time...while we're still griping about their corruption.

I am so fed up with the good ol' boy system.

The only people that ever show up with an opinion are those that are against the airport. I am still looking for real proof of corruption or unlawful activities. Just because folks are looking does not mean they can find it or it is there.

As far as Delta and Reed they are only trading one power for another. The other certainly could not care less about whats good for the people of Paulding.

The fact that they are this concerned tells us that this has a good chance of being highly successful.

The jobs should have been here before, the commitments should have been signed. We can sit here all day and say it will bring jobs, what jobs?? Is anyone even interested?

I'm sorry this is putting the cart before the horse. That airport in St. Louis, IL is beautiful............it's empty. Gwinnett county didn't want this, they already have plenty of businesses. Does that not tell anyone this needs further study?

No I don't believe our elected officials or the Airport Authority have the best interest of Paulding citizens in mind. There are many of us.

The only people that ever show up with an opinion are those that are against the airport. I am still looking for real proof of corruption or unlawful activities. Just because folks are looking does not mean they can find it or it is there.

As far as Delta and Reed they are only trading one power for another. The other certainly could not care less about whats good for the people of Paulding.

The fact that they are this concerned tells us that this has a good chance of being highly successful.

THIS, I agree with.

As for the airport issue itself, this is not really my fight. The biggest impact to me is traffic, which I can avoid when the current road construction is over. As someone who travels for work and has to fly more then a few times year now, I'm kind of watching to see what happens. It has me curious, with no real opinion either way. I'm just tired of the bickering and accusations. If someone is THAT damaged by the situation, stop whining and find a way to act.

I really can't see any big airlines flying here. What does PC have to offer anybody in their travels?? If there were major (and I mean MAJOR) resorts or other attractions--maybe. And I am in by no means knocking PC here--lived here all my life and liked it before all this crap come here!!

I can remember about 8 years ago, we flew into Roanoke (which is a very small airport). I bet there wasn't 100 people in that whole airport, including workers!! Just about every single person was getting in a van headed to the Homestead for a stay. That was the main attraction for that airport and we have NOTHING like that around here!!

I think this was just something that has probably lined several pockets in the Courthouse and this "business" probably has hundreds of thousands of dollars in business loans (that will be defaulted on) or their investors will lose their shirts.

• Like 4