Paulding.com

Tax penalty to hit nearly 6 MILLION people

http://news.yahoo.com/tax-penalty-hit-nearly-6m-uninsured-people-194442599.html

Nearly 6 million Americans — significantly more than first estimated— will face a tax penalty under President Barack Obama's health overhaul for not getting insurance, congressional analysts said Wednesday. Most would be in the middle class.

And the budget office analysis found that nearly 80 percent of those who'll face the penalty would be making up to or less than five times the federal poverty level. Currently that would work out to $55,850 or less for an individual and $115,250 or less for a family of four.

Average penalty: about $1,200 in 2016.

Health insurance is expensive, with employer-provided family coverage averaging nearly $15,800 a year for a family and $4,300 for a single plan.

So, pay a penalty of on average $1,200 or buy health insurance costing $1,300 a month? Which would you do? I mean, very likely you're going to be able to receive treatment if you don't have insurance, right?

• Like 2

Obamacare will not only affect uninsured Americans, it will affect employers and small businesses. To me, this has DISASTER written all over it.

It's for your own good, after all the government knows what is best for you. :wacko:

The apologists will be along soon to tell you why this is a good thing.

The bigger question is this, is this a one time tax? Or a every year I don't have insurance tax. Do I get taxed if I go to see a healthcare professional or the following year when I file my taxes. Is it prorated if I get coverage during the year?

If I don't pay the tax do I get denied healthcare? If I pay the tax am I then entitled to free healthcare? Is that a one time visit or for the rest of the year or the rest of my life?

How would I prove I paid the tax to get my free healthcare?

If you get taxed every year you don't have coverage but still get healthcare then at $1200 a year that is a whole lot cheaper then paying for employee coverage. (which is the whole idea as it leads to single payer coverage)

They should have the answers to all these questions because they passed the bill so I am sure they have now read it. :blink: :unsure:

• Like 1

Who pays 1,300 a month for employer provided health care. I have had some really cheezety plans in my life and never come close to that number.

For a lot of people family coverage on an employer plan is exceeding $1000 a month (for the employee costs) for smaller business. Here (14 employees, really good plan) we have almost all singles but one family coverage and they do pay almost $1100, of course it is less of an impact because it is pretax, but still... It's getting crazy...

Who pays 1,300 a month for employer provided health care. I have had some really cheezety plans in my life and never come close to that number.

People with large families. :unsure:

And I think the tax is yearly not monthly. I would love to only pay $1300 a year for healthcare.

Which is their plan all along.

For a lot of people family coverage on an employer plan is exceeding $1000 a month (for the employee costs) for smaller business. Here (14 employees, really good plan) we have almost all singles but one family coverage and they do pay almost $1100, of course it is less of an impact because it is pretax, but still... It's getting crazy...

We pay for our own health insurance, not through an employer, it just went up to a little over $900 a month. That's for me, my husband and my nine month old.

I agree...it's getting very crazy.

The bigger question is this, is this a one time tax? Or a every year I don't have insurance tax. Do I get taxed if I go to see a healthcare professional or the following year when I file my taxes. Is it prorated if I get coverage during the year?

If I don't pay the tax do I get denied healthcare? If I pay the tax am I then entitled to free healthcare? Is that a one time visit or for the rest of the year or the rest of my life?

How would I prove I paid the tax to get my free healthcare?

If you get taxed every year you don't have coverage but still get healthcare then at $1200 a year that is a whole lot cheaper then paying for employee coverage. (which is the whole idea as it leads to single payer coverage)

They should have the answers to all these questions because they passed the bill so I am sure they have now read it. :blink: :unsure:

They ain't finished reading it yet..... 8)

Well we have insurance and this is the first year that we have had to pay so much out of pocket due to some health issues I have had the last few months. I hate our insurance because we have to pay out of pocket until we reach the 2,500.00 deductable. Went to the mail box today and seems like they all are rolling in at the same time, two emergency visists, two urgent care visits, 6 doctor visits, 4 cardiologist visits and 2 neurologist visits, and the sad part is that I still feel like CRAP!!! I cant imagine how much all this would have costed us without insurance!!!

People with large families. :unsure:

And I think the tax is yearly not monthly. I would love to only pay $1300 a year for healthcare.

Which is their plan all along.

As would I, but I pay no where close to that much a month, more then 1300 a year but not that much that is insane. That is more then Cobra runs for a family of four.

Um, mine is almost that much w/BCBS through my employer. I am the only one covered on my plan. No health/medical problems, not on any meds and have probably not filed more than a half dozen claims in 25 years. $1000 deductible

I am sure the cost is partly due to the # of employees in our "group" - 2.

And I am in the insurance business. Go figure.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk

just remember when you cross over to the government healthcare plan for WHATEVER reason, you cannot obtain insurance any other way after that, regardless if your employer offers it. You will only be allowed the government healthcare from then till we bankrupt the country. Well, the last part of that was my own words but you get the gist of it.