Paulding.com

PRAYER ~ Haralson County Football Game

No one is stopping them from holding a prayer service before the game OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY and NOT sponsered by the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. You wanna have a prayer service before hand, knock yourself out. Just do it somewhere else besides at the school at the game. You can even have it right off the school property on private property all you want... :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Thoughts:

Actually, they can do it at the game if they want. Fact is, if they wanted to try and shout down the band, they could do it at half time. They have freedom of Religion.

What is prohibited, Thoughts, is the guy selected by the school delivering as a part of the event, a formal, approved prayer with the consent and approval of the school administration.

And, I'm moving this article back to county wide news.

pubby

PS: More power to those organizing this 'rebellious event.' I suspect that the prayer will be more sincere since it is not tainted with government interference. This grass-roots prayer is the essence of what is freedom of speech and religion. They don't have to ask anyone's permission to do what they're doing.

This protest might be perfectly allowable, but it is terribly rude of people to do this at such an event, knowing that others there came to watch a football game and not have to sit through a prayer meeting. It is just rude that a group would use their numbers to forcibly have people who are not of that religion sit there while they pray to their god.

This protest might be perfectly allowable, but it is terribly rude of people to do this at such an event, knowing that others there came to watch a football game and not have to sit through a prayer meeting. It is just rude that a group would use their numbers to forcibly have people who are not of that religion sit there while they pray to their god.

I understand your feeling. I guess those folks could strike up a chorus of the following to express their sentiments.

and call it a tribute to Joe South - May he RIP

pubby

then DONT GO !!!!

• Like 1

Thoughts:

Actually, they can do it at the game if they want. Fact is, if they wanted to try and shout down the band, they could do it at half time. They have freedom of Religion.

What is prohibited, Thoughts, is the guy selected by the school delivering as a part of the event, a formal, approved prayer with the consent and approval of the school administration.

pubby

PS: More power to those organizing this 'rebellious event.' I suspect that the prayer will be more sincere since it is not tainted with government interference. This grass-roots prayer is the essence of what is freedom of speech and religion. They don't have to ask anyone's permission to do what they're doing.

This was my point in it's entirety. For the school system to sponser the event. If they want to protest and preach, go right ahead. Scream to the heavens at the football game. But the school system cannot sponsor the event and even has the right to eject the protestors from the game if they become disruptive at such events...

Pretty standard fair in the Georgia High School Association, GHSA. It has been that way for years. When my son was at Riverside Military they were part of the Independent High School Association. His junior year they switched the the GHSA and had to quit having an organized prayer before the game.

The team said a prayer.

The band said a prayer.

Many parents said a prayer, especially if the other team was full of 350 pound monsters. :lol:

But the school could not have the chaplain say a prayer.

Thoughts:

pubby

^^^ +10! Let them Pray!

• Like 1

Pretty standard fair in the Georgia High School Association, GHSA. It has been that way for years. When my son was at Riverside Military they were part of the Independent High School Association. His junior year they switched the the GHSA and had to quit having an organized prayer before the game.

The team said a prayer.

The band said a prayer.

Many parents said a prayer, especially if the other team was full of 350 pound monsters. :lol:

But the school could not have the chaplain say a prayer.

In small town public schools and public sporting events it is all too easy to run roughshot over the rights of others and think to oneself "so what"... "they'll get over it'... "they can sit there and shut up if they know what's go for 'em"... "The Jewish boy is just gonna have ta deal with it"... "I hope I pissed off that Muslim kid, moon god kid deserved it" ... I wonder about peoples true intent sometimes with such matters as prayer in public, is it devotion or agitation? Does making yourself an a$$ about these things in public make one a better Christian when the motivation of such actions is just to piss people off??? Seems like it would drive off far more than such actions would attract. That's not spreading the Gospel, that's spreading hate...

^^^ +10! Let them Pray!

They can pray all they want, no law against that...

In small town public schools and public sporting events it is all too easy to run roughshot over the rights of others and think to oneself "so what"... "they'll get over it'... "they can sit there and shut up if they know what's go for 'em"... "The Jewish boy is just gonna have ta deal with it"... "I hope I pissed off that Muslim kid, moon god kid deserved it" ... I wonder about peoples true intent sometimes with such matters as prayer in public, is it devotion or agitation? Does making yourself an a$ about these things in public make one a better Christian when the motivation of such actions is just to piss people off??? Seems like it would drive off far more than such actions would attract. That's not spreading the Gospel, that's spreading hate...

Now the anti Christian folks have another issue to fuss about. They have put the 10 Commandments up at the Capitol. Prayer at football games and the 10 commandments at the GA Capitol. They can't allow that now can they?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Now the anti Christian folks have another issue to fuss about. They have put the 10 Commandments up at the Capitol. Prayer at football games and the 10 commandments at the GA Capitol. They can't allow that now can they?:rolleyes:

Don't worry, it won't be up for long. It's been removed before and it will be removed again. Just more pandering to voters by politicians and they fall for it. And as I said before, prayer isn't the issue at school sporting events. It's the Public School System sponsoring the prayer service that is the problem. Do you really want the federal government sponsoring such things? Do you really want the federal government in everybodies religion? Do you want President Obama deciding such matters on what the national policy for Christianity should be and the interpretations that would be applied? It never ceases to amaze me at so many people not wanting government in their lives but government in their religion...

• Like 2

Don't worry, it won't be up for long. It's been removed before and it will be removed again. Just more pandering to voters by politicians and they fall for it. And as I said before, prayer isn't the issue at school sporting events. It's the Public School System sponsoring the prayer service that is the problem. Do you really want the federal government sponsoring such things? Do you really want the federal government in everybodies religion? Do you want President Obama deciding such matters on what the national policy for Christianity should be and the interpretations that would be applied? It never ceases to amaze me at so many people not wanting government in their lives but government in their religion...

Werd!

And the only thing he should be deciding is what shoes he will wear today. It's all he is qualified to do and that is even questionable. :lol:

• Like 1

In small town public schools and public sporting events it is all too easy to run roughshot over the rights of others and think to oneself "so what"... "they'll get over it'... "they can sit there and shut up if they know what's go for 'em"... "The Jewish boy is just gonna have ta deal with it"... "I hope I pissed off that Muslim kid, moon god kid deserved it" ... I wonder about peoples true intent sometimes with such matters as prayer in public, is it devotion or agitation? Does making yourself an a$$ about these things in public make one a better Christian when the motivation of such actions is just to piss people off??? Seems like it would drive off far more than such actions would attract. That's not spreading the Gospel, that's spreading hate...

This goes back to the old saying, What is fair for the GOOSE, is fair fOr the GANDER.

Werd!

And the only thing he should be deciding is what shoes he will wear today. It's all he is qualified to do and that is even questionable. :lol:

People really aren't thinking these issue through when they want stuff like "prayer in public schools and sporting events" The federal governments regulate everything to death when we give them the chance. Now let's put them in charge of teaching Christianity in Public Schools? If President Obama is really a closet Muslim, can you just imagine the interpretations that are gonna come out of the White House on the requirements for public prayer services??? People just don't understand the slippery slopes they are allowing when public officals get those kinds of policy making decesions. And politicians ride the whole "Christianty" dog and pony show for all it's worth if they think it's what will get them into office....

Our country was founded on "one nation under GOD" our money has "in God we trust" printed clearly. This is America and there is freedom of speech.

You have the freedom not to participate. It is not a meeting but simply a few moments to acknowledge the beliefs our COUNTRY was founded upon. No one makes you close your eyes or say anything but is it too much to ask to just be silent and think of whatever you choose for a moment or two.

Give your moments to think of our soldiers if you have no spiritual beliefs. What is the harm?

It was fine for 200 years in our nation and things seemed much better then.

• Like 1
1347061283[/url]' post='3690847']

Our country was founded on "one nation under GOD" our money has "in God we trust" printed clearly. This is America and there is freedom of speech.

You have the freedom not to participate. It is not a meeting but simply a few moments to acknowledge the beliefs our COUNTRY was founded upon. No one makes you close your eyes or say anything but is it too much to ask to just be silent and think of whatever you choose for a moment or two.

Give your moments to think of our soldiers if you have no spiritual beliefs. What is the harm?

Worshipping the way you want to, and NOT the way the government or majority decides is what this nation was founded on. "Under God" wasn't part of our pledge until 1954. "In God we trust" was added to our money in 1864 (coins) and 1957 (paper). From the "Treaty of Tripoli" signed by John Adams in 1797.... "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".

• Like 5

:clapping: :clapping:

I'm kind of confused how this works. Like we went to "Meet the Pack" at NPHS a few weeks back and they had a prayer before the game given by the minister from the church that feeds the players every Friday. I mean I'm not a religious guy so wasn't a big fan but I still stood up and bowed my head to respect those who are and certainly to be respectful of the man representing the church that does a great thing for the kids. But it still left me wondering why that was allowed and yet for "official" games, they can't do the same. Is it strictly GHSA or is it supposed to any public school event?

mrnn

I'm kind of confused how this works. Like we went to "Meet the Pack" at NPHS a few weeks back and they had a prayer before the game given by the minister from the church that feeds the players every Friday. I mean I'm not a religious guy so wasn't a big fan but I still stood up and bowed my head to respect those who are and certainly to be respectful of the man representing the church that does a great thing for the kids. But it still left me wondering why that was allowed and yet for "official" games, they can't do the same. Is it strictly GHSA or is it supposed to any public school event?

mrnn

Official public prayer should never be invoked at any public meeting.

Ideally, no government is not allowed to put words in your mouth or mind and it is a bit presumptuous for one person to pray any prayer that could be called 'official' ... Prayers should be unofficial, ad hoc, unrehearsed, unvetted, genuine and from the heart by a person who stands up and delivers it.

Frankly, if God is not already in the heart of the people - say those at the legislature - a prayer reminding them of the almighty isn't going to put Him there. I think some of the bonehead things done in our name by our elected officials is proof of that.

pubby

Wow, that's about as ignorant a statement as I've read yet. You are truely blind and deaf to all around you except for the darkness that you have created around yourself. Even after the historical explaination on the history and dates of the things like "One nation under 'god' " and "in 'god' we trust" you will still refuse to believe them. Seeing only what you want to see, hearing only what you want to hear...

I don't have a problem with the group praying before the game at all. Live and let live. But remember that atheists group have every right to begin blowing horns and yelling and whatever else while everyone else is praying. Their right too.

This post above is about as uninformed as ever has been posted.

Edited by zoocrew

I ran across this on Comcast this morning. Why on earth is a Wisconsin based 'foundation' threatening to sue a school in Tallapoosa if they pray before a game, how the he!! is it any of their business? Stay the frick in Wisconsin and don't pray at your own football games.

Now having said that, I don't prefer public prayer in an organized setting, but I'm not going to knock tradition and act like a jacka$$ about it. Why can't people just go with the flow and not be offended about EVERY STUPID thing on the planet? I don't like 6 inch heels, but I'm not trying to ban them from every other woman that wants to wear them, I just leave them on the shelf and buy the 3 inch heels instead. I don't wear a burka and if I see someone in one like I did last week, I'm not going to sue her because it somehow makes me feel uncomfortable.......it's not my business and I don't have to wear one, so how is her wearing one hurting me? OH WAIT.................it's not.

People need to clean their own house long before they insist on trying to clean someone elses.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/255719/3/West-GA-High-School-football-fans-skirt-prayer-ban

• Like 2

Thoughts:

pubby

Pubby you hug a tree liberal,I agree with you.Wow times have changed Pubby :o you the man :p

I ran across this on Comcast this morning. Why on earth is a Wisconsin based 'foundation' threatening to sue a school in Tallapoosa if they pray before a game, how the he!! is it any of their business? Stay the frick in Wisconsin and don't pray at your own football games.

Now having said that, I don't prefer public prayer in an organized setting, but I'm not going to knock tradition and act like a jacka$ about it. Why can't people just go with the flow and not be offended about EVERY STUPID thing on the planet? I don't like 6 inch heels, but I'm not trying to ban them from every other woman that wants to wear them, I just leave them on the shelf and buy the 3 inch heels instead. I don't wear a burka and if I see someone in one like I did last week, I'm not going to sue her because it somehow makes me feel uncomfortable.......it's not my business and I don't have to wear one, so how is her wearing one hurting me? OH WAIT.................it's not.

People need to clean their own house long before they insist on trying to clean someone elses.

http://www.11alive.c...kirt-prayer-ban

I don't think anyone is knocking 'tradition' (if you could call it that sometimes) and it seems people want to be offended about anything these days, that statement does swing both ways. But what must be kept an ever vigilance against is the insertion of religious interpretation, institutionalization and incorporation into the public legislation, laws and education by these groups seeking dominance, preference and to marginalize or deny the rights of others based on their groups bigotry and religious interpretations...

I have a questions for those that fight so hard to keep the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

I am curious about the motives, why is it so important ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

We do not live under "the law" (the 10 commandments) we live under "Grace". The law is an old covenant between God and the people at that time. This was given when people did not know what "sin" was, they were not conscious of sin.

Because they could not keep each commandment they were instructed by God to offer animal sacrifices for the remission of their sins.

(breaking commandments)

----------------------------------------------------------------

We have a new covenant so it does not make sense to try to live by the old covenant, yes the commandments still show us today the things God considers sin, as should be, but for anyone to think they can keep each and every one of them throughout their lifetime is just not reality.

If people fight to keep them as a reminder, ok. But this misleads those that do not understand the new covenant to believe they don't have a chance.

If people are fighting to keep them public to hold others accountable then that is hypocrisy and is what is wrong with "religion" today.

2 Corinthians 3:7 - Calls the 10 Commandments the ministration of death engraven in stones. Verse 8 says How can the ministry of the Spirit (Jesus) not be more glorious?

Galations 3:24 - Therefore the law was our tutor, schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ that we might be justified by faith.

v25 - But after faith has come we are no longer under the tutor, schoolmaster. (law, commandments)

Hebrews 8:6 But now He (Jesus) has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also the Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

v7 - For if that first covenant had been faultless then no place would have been sought for a second.

continuing down to verse 13 - "A new covenant", He has made the first covenant obsolete.

Hebrews 9:11 - But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come......

v12 - not with the blood of goats and calves (sacrifices for sin)but His own blood (the ultimate sacrifice for our sins)He entered the Most Holy place once and for all..

I won't keep posting scripture but Hebrews continues to explain and Romans 1:5 speaks of through Jesus we have received grace....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I questioned why was there need for a new covenant, did God make a mistake on the first one ?

No, God knew exactly what He was doing.

There were many covenants (agreements) in the bible going back to Adam and Eve in the garden, the 10 commandments, blood sacrifices etc. but I hear people trying to convince someone that they have to do this or that because "it's in the bible".

What they are doing is confusing others and not understanding there are different dispensations. Every single word in the bible does not apply to us today, only the covenant we are under, not past covenants or a mix of them all.

------------------------------------------------------------------

One reason Christians get such a hard time is because some really do not understand where we are today.

Some judge by what "they believe" and not by actual scripture that pertains to us in our time. Some forget the fruits of the Spirit and some just like to show up to a brick and mortar building once a week and call that enough.

It is all about what we believe.

Edited by tranquility

As far as prayer.

Matthew 6 starting in verse 5 speaks of praying in private and not like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets that they may be seen by men.

I personally do not have a problem with public prayer if it is genuine and not just for show and I do not have any reason to think prayer at a game is just for show so I am not trying to offend anyone with that scripture.

But I do believe that by forcing others to participate, even if you feel they should just stand there quietly is opening up a can of worms in today's world.

I would not stand and listen to someone hold a prayer to Satan because they do not believe in God.

But if we have the right to pray to our God then our society says they have the same right.

I see no reason the prayer at games could not be held in the locker room or that the request be made for a moment of silence so each person may use that moment for whatever thoughts they wish to have during that time.

God does not force His will on us and we do not have the right to force our will on others regardless of our opinions or beliefs.

JMO

Edited by tranquility

AMEN, LET THEM PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For you non religious folks, you could take that time to take a potty break, get your snacks from the concession stand or PLAY ON YOUR SMART PHONE. :good:

YOU GO GIRL !!!! LOVE IT !!! :yahoo: