Paulding.com

Unknown takes Hiram Mayor with 97 total votes

Doris Devey defeats Don Brown for Hiram Mayor

Former councilman Don Brown, Jr. found himself thirteen votes short of Doris Devey's 97 votes setting the stage for a political newcomer to take over as Mayor of Hiram in the special election held here today.

Rumored to be a former corporate operative, Ms. Devey ran a stealth campaign although she was reported to be on the arm of a group of downtown merchants whose parliamentary maneuverings succeeded in wrestling the council from another former councilman Jack Paris, who was elected mayor last year. Paris resigned the post after an organized group of council members out maneuvered him at a meeting leading to the firing of the city clerk and his walking from the meeting.

The special election, set to coincide with the Republican Presidential Preference Primary apparently included a separate location for casting votes for the Hiram Mayoral contest. Confusion over voting locations as well as the low profile and relative obscurity of Ms. Devey's campaign are believed in part responsible for the 11.1 percent turnout.

P1080910.jpg

Lets just start this whole thing out with questioning everything. Maybe Ms Devey won because she was a newcommer and hasn't been on the council previously. Maybe there was low turn out because turnout in city elections even when scheduled regularly are low.

Edited by kwood

Lets just start this whole thing out with questioning everything. Maybe Ms Devey won because she was a newcommer and hasn't been on the council previously. Maybe there was low turn out because turnout in city elections even when scheduled regularly are low.

Maybe there was low turn out and she won because many figured "what's the use of me wasting my time voting because this mayor will resign too and I can just vote again real soon?"

Maybe there was low turn out and she won because many figured "what's the use of me wasting my time voting because this mayor will resign too and I can just vote again real soon?"

Hopefully she will take the job seriously and serve out her term. And to the original article in this post, saying Ms. Devey was running a stealth campaign I can only assume you're saying that because she didn't buy advertising on paulding.com or post in the forums. As a city resident I saw just as many signs for her as I did for Mr. Brown, the difference was that Ms. Devey personally came to my front door and introduced herself and asked for my vote. She put in the leg work. And when she came to my door she left a list of her plans for the city as well as a copy of her resume. I can assure you there was nothing in that resume that led me to believe she was a coorporate opperative as it was put.

Wingers, that's a good one. No there is no conspiracy in the context that of aliens.

The original post was based on surprise because of the miniscule information I had on the race and Ms. Devey.

I retract the comment that the race was a stealth campaign having discovered in the interim, a news story in the Neighbor (I don't get and didn't see it.)

The term corporate operative specifically was intended to be a non-descript term; not pejorative as I had only seen reference to her working for some corporate entity and was unaware of the nature of the position she held.

This is literally my first retraction in 20 years and I do so with humility. The only excuse is that I was tired - literally dozing at the screen - and needed to get the story up before I didn't.

pubby

What do they say about politicians lying.....only when their lips are moving.

I wish Ms Devey well.

I am pretty much disgusted with all of our local politicians, including the Austin Brothers.

We were promised the BOC would sit down and try to work out a settlement with our suits AFTER the Judge issued his ruling. He issued the ruling in our favor on the AntiSlapp Motions November, 2010.

We then had to have 2 more hearings, 1 in January 2011 and 1 in June 2011 to determine what they had to pay on our legal fees. Judge Beavers issued a Judgement in our favor on July 6, 2011 for over $263,000.

So did the BOC sit down to try to negotiate with us after that ? Nope, instead they antied up another $100,000 to their lawyers and appealed the ruling and Judgement.

Lie, lie, lie.

And spending now over $1,350,000 just to keep us OUT of court and protect the developers. Your tax dollars hard at work.

I'm just thankful there are no more Austin brothers involved in Paulding politics.

I agree with you, David has turned out just as bad as any of them. I

saw in the Era today where he is going to have some competition. This

will be interesting.

I agree with you, David has turned out just as bad as any of them. I

saw in the Era today where he is going to have some competition. This

will be interesting.

My memory is a hell of a lot better than yours. I'm not bat sheeze crazy about the Austins, especially Boyd, but they are way ahead of the crap Shearin pulled while he was being told how to run the county.

• Like 1