Paulding.com

Invitation to groundbreaking for new film studio

Crap. Now I gotta go find my duct tape so I can tape my head back together. :angry2:

I have to respectfully disagree with those that are opposed to this. This is a very good thing for the county. Movie studios don't just employ actors at $20 million a picture. They employee transportation, crew, craft service, janitors, costumers, make up artists, etc. Those people in turn spend dollars locally. All of those people that you don't hang around to read their names at the end of the film. As someone who worked in the industry for a decade, I can tell you this is a very good thing for the local economy. Georgia is quickly becoming Hollywood East and the fact that Paulding is doing this shows rare foresite from county officials and the business community. Give this a chance.

• Like 8

I have to respectfully disagree with those that are opposed to this. This is a very good thing for the county. Movie studios don't just employ actors at $20 million a picture. They employee transportation, crew, craft service, janitors, costumers, make up artists, etc. Those people in turn spend dollars locally. All of those people that you don't hang around to read their names at the end of the film. As someone who worked in the industry for a decade, I can tell you this is a very good thing for the local economy. Georgia is quickly becoming Hollywood East and the fact that Paulding is doing this shows rare foresite from county officials and the business community. Give this a chance.

I know, although I would have preferred it not to be with tax dollars or in a better economic climate. I think it's just the principle of the thing, coming on top of everything else and the stupidity of gooberment officials of all stripes.

:tryingtowindducttapearoundhead:

I would rather see this up and going and bringing in jobs than the unused airport and half empty courthouse complex.

• Like 3

I know, although I would have preferred it not to be with tax dollars or in a better economic climate. I think it's just the principle of the thing, coming on top of everything else and the stupidity of gooberment officials of all stripes.

:tryingtowindducttapearoundhead:

Normally I would agree with you. This is one project I can get behind. You have to spend money to make money and I think this is a solid investment in the county. I really do.

I think once you realize that the taxpayers are guaranteeing the bonds and the IBA has no obligations to pay the bonds with "proceeds" from use of the facilities, then you would feel otherwise. The BoC sold the taxpayers up the river, again. The agreements should have been written that the IBA pays all they can and then the taxpayer can bend over when the time comes.

How much did that Bill Murray movie bring into the county?

I agree the IBA should be charged with covering its own obligations and I have to assume they will, but it would have been nice to write up the contracts stating so clearly.

Paulding has a negative image with the metro industrial developers as they were locked out of paulding the previous 25 years by the Powers that Be who wanted EVERYTHING for their own High Density Housing Projects.

As a result, they jacked the land values through the roof and used up much of the best properties for building industrial/office parks. Palisades is a good example of that.....access to 278, close in, at grade land for rail sidings and reasonably flat land to build large buildings on.

We are now faced with a situation where by the BoC, IBA, CoC, etc., all have to prove Paulding wants industrial development and this is a step in the right direction. We have zero chances of bringing businesses with high paying jobs to Paulding unless we have an inventory of NICE buildings available to rent. And the only way I see this happening is if the country builds them and or sets up joint ventures.

We can only hope this will bring a new industry to town, so to speak.

Hiram and Dallas also both have downtowns which are natural studios for filming "Period" movies needing a 1900-1950ish downtown as a back drop.

I will definitely be there, I am very excited about this project!

I happen to like the big picture of what is happening in our county, I find it very exciting to see the growth.

I have said before it does not matter how you feel about the airport, New Courthouse or anything else done during the previous administration.

You have to move forward you have to make it work, people in positions of authority have got to make decisions when opportunity arises which has not happened in the past and that is why we have many of the problems we currently have.

When people on here are ask what does the county need, 90% respond with more retail for their shopping and dining pleasure. People retail is a poverty generator! when it comes to jobs and tax revenue.

Think about the types of jobs this will provide in our community, prosperity perpetuates itself, as does poverty.

Is there anything that this community can get behind and support other than another restaurant or retail store?

The powers that be are working to set us up to prosper when the economy recovers with a very diverse market.

Where is the vision for the average person that lives here, what is growth to you is it more minimum wage jobs?

Maybe your job is in Atlanta, you want better roads, do you want your taxes to go up to provide it? or do you want to see the burden spread, keeping every ones taxes down, well this is how it is done.

Because you are not in the aviation business or the movie business you can't see any value in it.

Nobody is screaming about the hospital, because you see a need personally.

Well people looking for living wage jobs need the growth.

Look at all 3 of these industries, aviation, film production and healthcare, how hard hit have they been by the economy, your not hearing about massive layoffs in any of these industries.

Take the time to talk to the people on the planning committee, they have a facebook page. They are committed to prosperity for all of us. They work hard, they are researching industries with great growth potential.

I hate the grumbling about everything the planning committee is trying to do and watching people wet their pants with joy every time a chicken place opens, these places won't stay unless the majority of the population has the income to patronize them. That means living wage jobs.

They are not creating Gov. for long term maintenance through taxpayer support, they are planting seeds and yes some of our tax money is fertilizer.

Does it occur to anyone supporting these projects and getting involved might actually

contribute to the future success of them.

I think once you realize that the taxpayers are guaranteeing the bonds and the IBA has no obligations to pay the bonds with "proceeds" from use of the facilities, then you would feel otherwise. The BoC sold the taxpayers up the river, again. The agreements should have been written that the IBA pays all they can and then the taxpayer can bend over when the time comes.

It did not bring much because we don't have anything they need here, they pulled most of their techs from Atlanta and other surrounding area that provide what production companies need.

Taxes are an issue because we don't have enough people in high enough income brackets to even pay them right now.

FB,

I don't know squat about the movie industry, but it is a start, and it is an industry which has not been crippled by the economy, so that is a plus.

As you can well imagine, I am NOT in close contact with any of the Commissioners right now, but I assume the county had no choice but to guarrantee the bonds in order to get them issued. I do agree the contracts between the county, IBA, and the studio complex should be re-written in such a manner to mandate the IBA to covering the payments, and for the county to only step in if the IBA falls short.

I am hoping they are going to be able to get an industrial park off the ground in that same area off Bill Carruth and the Norfolk-Southern tracks, but I understand there are some spring head issues to contend with.

I believe we would see some joint-venture development oppotunities if the county/IBA did the site prep work, sewer lines and utilities and graded out some lots which they could then sell to a developer to build spec buildings on for a small downpayment, and then the balance due when the building is leased or sold.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I know we have a bad reputation with the Metro Industrial Developers and we are going to have to prove to them we want to work hand in hand to bring higher paying jobs to Paulding.

Before any of these types of items are bought and paid for, don't we need a better transportion artery (like 61 connector from I-75 to I-2020) through the county?

Interstates are necessary for massive retail. Not for industrial.

The Powder Springs Intermodal Yard is the largest such facility in the SE. It is in essence a deep water port, and every container going or coming via 75 North and/or 278 West to Memphis comes right through town.

Small Manufacturers, those with 20, 30, 40 employees need a 10,000 to 100,000 square foot building with multipe dock height loading bays and sufficient room to manuever 53' trailers/containers in the parking lot.

And a good local workforce.

I had 26 employees, ALL of whom lived in Paulding except 1 who drove down from Adairsville.

We did $2-1/2 to $3 million a year, and just for kicks Melissa ran a zip code report for checks issued locally over a year, and it was just under $900,000. And you have to consider 100% of that money was from outside of Paulding.

With manufacturing, once you get a base started, then you get the cottage industries which go with it. Welding supplies, gas tanks/bottles, nut & bolt suppliers, blade sharpeners, forklift service, pallet builders, recyling centers for metal scrap, uniform services, vending suppliers, raw material centers, etc.

One of the more successful rural counties job wise is Coffee County.....Douglas, Ga. The local IBA built 3 different industrial parks there which they still own and operate. They actually have a recruiting office in Savannah to bring workers in. And they are in a triangle between 75, 16, and 10, and 40 to 60 miles from each. They have no 4 lanes highways connecting them anywhere [unless 1 has been finished up lately.

And they have a WallMart warehouse center which is something like half a million square feet.

As long as a tractor trailer can get in and out of the loading docks, the roads are really irrelevant.

But there has to be an inventory of buildings available. Manufactureres, Engineering Rep Firms, supply houses, etc., have no interest in doing their own buildings. They want to find one the size they need, have the offices modified to suit their needs, and sign a 5 year lease.

Sorry folks,I am agaist this all the way. Spend 8 millon or more by the time it is finished. At a time the economy is in the tank. Yes I worked as a lighting tech when they filmed scream at Agnes Scott college. They were there for a week. It was contracted out to a company in South Ga.

What is this build ing when it is empty?Where is the contracts,this is the film studio to no where. Movie industry is at a all time low,look at what this past summer was like,almost nothing. Now what happens to this building if it is Idle 11 months out of the year?You can not give jobs out in a few days here and a week here. Sorry this is a huge mistake people,watch and see. Our county is furloughing people but lets build a movie set,ge what a plan!:wacko:

• Like 2

Sorry folks,I am agaist this all the way. Spend 8 millon or more by the time it is finished. At a time the economy is in the tank. Yes I worked as a lighting tech when they filmed scream at Agnes Scott college. They were there for a week. It was contracted out to a company in South Ga.

What is this build ing when it is empty?Where is the contracts,this is the film studio to no where. Movie industry is at a all time low,look at what this past summer was like,almost nothing. Now what happens to this building if it is Idle 11 months out of the year?You can not give jobs out in a few days here and a week here. Sorry this is a huge mistake people,watch and see. Our county is furloughing people but lets build a movie set,ge what a plan!:wacko:

I agree completely. I plan on going next week to see our politicians lie through their teeth about how wonderful this will be.. yada yada yada.... for their developer buddies.....yada yada..

I would rather see this up and going and bringing in jobs than the unused airport and half empty courthouse complex.

I'm not going to comment about the weed farm, er, airport; however, the Government Complex was almost full when it opened up 2 1/2 years ago.

That was before 3 rounds of lay-offs.

Edited by JediTreeRat
  • Like 1

I clicked on the link provided above and pulled up what looks like a flyer. It gives the location as "110 Thompson Road, Dallas, GA 30157". Isn't Thompson Road HIRAM, not Dallas? :unsure:

I do not know alot about the project but if it will bring FULL TIME JOBS here that would be great but just every now and then jobs when a movie is filmed here sounds like a waste of money.How often will it be used? Like I said I do not know alot about it so what all will it be used for?:pardon:

I question this at a time when the County is laying off folks and cutting to the bone. I do not understand spending this kind of money for a pie in the sky project. This is an event that I won't attend.

I do not know alot about the project but if it will bring FULL TIME JOBS here that would be great but just every now and then jobs when a movie is filmed here sounds like a waste of money.How often will it be used? Like I said I do not know alot about it so what all will it be used for?:pardon:

There are many uses for it not just making movies, It can be used for any type of video production such as music videos, making commercials and documentaries.

It will also encourage production companies to base production here more often,

The interest is already here with companies using local sites for filming scenes, but there is no studio space to encourage them to stick around and shoot studio scenes.

We are not building this to entice them, they are already in the area making movies, they are taking the money elsewhere to shoot the studio scenes.

I have had to cover most of the movies sets over the last few years made here, not being star struck I noticed where they are pulling tech crews and support from, there are a handful of companies already in the area doing this work, they would not exist and thrive if the market was not good for it.

This will be a huge boost for our airport also, as far as an investment that will actually boost the use of our airport and hopefully make it profitable this is a very good way to do it.

Like I keep saying we have to move forward, a step at a time, we have got to make this airport profitable for our future here in the county, it can be done.

People have got to get over their resentment of the airport that is in the past there is no going back wards only forward.

The I told you so attitude of wanting to see it fail is terrible for this county and the people.

I question this at a time when the County is laying off folks and cutting to the bone. I do not understand spending this kind of money for a pie in the sky project. This is an event that I won't attend.

People are being laid off because our tax base is not broad enough to support our local Gov.

They are doing what they can, are the naysayers doing anything to help, are they out selling Paulding to industries and corporation to bring real jobs here?

If they do, what do we have to offer a big corporation?

My feeling is this if there is one dime of tax money spent to grow industry in this county people are gonna get mad and in the same breath complain about lack of services furloughs.

We have nothing to offer large industries here, nothing zero nadda.

They are at least trying to fill a void left by a local economy that was based on residential development, an industry that was powerful enough to control this entire county.

It's gone now and what are we left with, bankrupt developments, unemployment and homeowners screaming for services, parks, schools.

This endeavor could fail, anything can fail, but I will give them all the credit in the world for trying, you know why, because industry stopped knocking on our door a long time ago here in Paulding, we have a bad rep when it comes to it.

We don't even have the money at this point to build infrastructure for manufacturing, we don't need that much capital to accommodate a movie studio and we do have some things that are attractive to this industry in the area.

What I am saying is it is a start, they are trying give them at least that much credit.

There are many uses for it not just making movies, It can be used for any type of video production such as music videos, making commercials and documentaries.

It will also encourage production companies to base production here more often,

The interest is already here with companies using local sites for filming scenes, but there is no studio space to encourage them to stick around and shoot studio scenes.

We are not building this to entice them, they are already in the area making movies, they are taking the money elsewhere to shoot the studio scenes.

I have had to cover most of the movies sets over the last few years made here, not being star struck I noticed where they are pulling tech crews and support from, there are a handful of companies already in the area doing this work, they would not exist and thrive if the market was not good for it.

This will be a huge boost for our airport also, as far as an investment that will actually boost the use of our airport and hopefully make it profitable this is a very good way to do it.

Like I keep saying we have to move forward, a step at a time, we have got to make this airport profitable for our future here in the county, it can be done.

People have got to get over their resentment of the airport that is in the past there is no going back wards only forward.

The I told you so attitude of wanting to see it fail is terrible for this county and the people.

You are right about the fact that the facitlity can be used for SO much more then a movie...Local businesses want to advertise on local TV. In my former life, I had experience in TV advertising. Since I've been at home, I've had three neighbors approach me about how to make a commercial and get it on air. I did the local research for them and provided a list of companies who would give them quotes. None of them got a commercial made because it was too expensive. For one of them, I did do a storyboard and had my people from out of state come in with their equipment and do it for less then half of the "local" quote and the business owner was able to advertise locally through the cable companies. *The TV companies offer production packages with airtime. Packages for airtime with a pre-produced commercial are MUCH MUCH cheaper. Most local businesses don't have big advertising budgets, so they think they can't afford a commercial. This studio can really be a game changer for the local economy.

A commerical production facility here is BEYOND needed, and I bet we'll pull in accounts from businesses in neighboring counties, too. (Although there are a few commerical producers in Cobb)

And the other posts about full time jobs are right too. Production techs are on call 24-7 in some cases. The "short" days average 18 hours. They're not sitting in a pampered trailer, getting catering and makeup. They're out there sweating, bleeding, and sometimes cursing, in order to build the set, run the lights/audio, place cameras, and the worst job of all: running feeder cable. They work HARD.

This facility can be a win-win for the small businesses around here simply because of the new advertising options available. Or, we could all gang up and march with our torches toward the studio and make a scene. I want to see our county becoming Successful.

Aren't you tired of the foreclosures? Of people thinking that Paulding's relative IQ level hovers around the "walking idiot" level? I want better schools. I want my house's value to go back up. I want a high paying job in my chosen career without driving two hours one way in wall to wall traffic. I want our high schools to be "college prep" not "technical" so my kids can get an education that will prepare them for success. I know people who moved to Cobb and rent out their Paulding houses just so their kids can get a decent education. I don't want to do that.

So before you get all angry about the tax money being spent on this project, think about all the tax money we'll save by getting people off Foodstamps and TANF and into jobs that pay a livable wage.

• Like 2

You are right about the fact that the facitlity can be used for SO much more then a movie...Local businesses want to advertise on local TV. In my former life, I had experience in TV advertising. Since I've been at home, I've had three neighbors approach me about how to make a commercial and get it on air. I did the local research for them and provided a list of companies who would give them quotes. None of them got a commercial made because it was too expensive. For one of them, I did do a storyboard and had my people from out of state come in with their equipment and do it for less then half of the "local" quote and the business owner was able to advertise locally through the cable companies. *The TV companies offer production packages with airtime. Packages for airtime with a pre-produced commercial are MUCH MUCH cheaper. Most local businesses don't have big advertising budgets, so they think they can't afford a commercial. This studio can really be a game changer for the local economy.

A commerical production facility here is BEYOND needed, and I bet we'll pull in accounts from businesses in neighboring counties, too. (Although there are a few commerical producers in Cobb)

And the other posts about full time jobs are right too. Production techs are on call 24-7 in some cases. The "short" days average 18 hours. They're not sitting in a pampered trailer, getting catering and makeup. They're out there sweating, bleeding, and sometimes cursing, in order to build the set, run the lights/audio, place cameras, and the worst job of all: running feeder cable. They work HARD.

This facility can be a win-win for the small businesses around here simply because of the new advertising options available. Or, we could all gang up and march with our torches toward the studio and make a scene. I want to see our county becoming Successful.

Aren't you tired of the foreclosures? Of people thinking that Paulding's relative IQ level hovers around the "walking idiot" level? I want better schools. I want my house's value to go back up. I want a high paying job in my chosen career without driving two hours one way in wall to wall traffic. I want our high schools to be "college prep" not "technical" so my kids can get an education that will prepare them for success. I know people who moved to Cobb and rent out their Paulding houses just so their kids can get a decent education. I don't want to do that.

So before you get all angry about the tax money being spent on this project, think about all the tax money we'll save by getting people off Foodstamps and TANF and into jobs that pay a livable wage.

:clapping:

* millon could have been spent in another area. A convention center with multiple rooms for meetings and events. Right now we don't have enough space. Atlanta use to be number 4 in conventions,they slipped to number 9 and many conventions have gone else where.:blush:

• Like 1

* millon could have been spent in another area. A convention center with multiple rooms for meetings and events. Right now we don't have enough space. Atlanta use to be number 4 in conventions,they slipped to number 9 and many conventions have gone else where.:blush:

City of Hiram is building that - I've seen the plans. Not sure what the time frame was - I was helping a boy scout take notes for a merit badge. It's supposed to be at Poplar Springs and 92.

City of Hiram is building that - I've seen the plans. Not sure what the time frame was - I was helping a boy scout take notes for a merit badge. It's supposed to be at Poplar Springs and 92.

Not sure they are actually building it. Yes, the plans were drawn but I don't think it got past that stage.

Not sure they are actually building it. Yes, the plans were drawn but I don't think it got past that stage.

Just my thoughts-quit yer belly aching-it's gonna happen anyway, get in there and put in your two cents! Tell them what you think we need and push them towards something positive.You can sit at home and gripe, or get out and make it work. we need jobs, and not the minimum wage kind. We need big business to start looking at us as a feasible opportunity. I'll be there.

• Like 1

Just my thoughts-quit yer belly aching-it's gonna happen anyway, get in there and put in your two cents! Tell them what you think we need and push them towards something positive.You can sit at home and gripe, or get out and make it work. we need jobs, and not the minimum wage kind. We need big business to start looking at us as a feasible opportunity. I'll be there.

Why are you directing this at me? I have a right to my opinion and a movie pie in the sky I do not agree with. The lowering of the US credit rating along with 12 banks is reason enough not to go borrowing money we don't need to borrow right now. If it works and there are jobs FOR PAULDING FOLKS and this is successful then I will be the first to pat our Commissioners on the back. If it fails they will have to answer for a bad decision.

I read it will open December ... so I think they can start to build now since they did the ground breaking ceremony.

My husband said he wished RoadTown Enterprises of Los Angeles, California had a little skin in the game - invested some of their own money... that way it would press them to make sure it moves forward and that they are truly committed. They claim it is a partnership ... but I think it is shaky we tax payers are on the hook for all the financial building of the studio?

However the numbers look good in that there were over 300 productions, around 800 million dollars brought to GA, and GA ranked 5th for film and TV production in the US. Wonder how many were Savannah vs. Atlanta area though … I did not see any info on actual cities filmed in… but I have not searched either

It does sound like an opportunity for airport use? It’s worth being hopeful since I see no other business making Paulding home and flying into our unused airport.

sorry-that wasn't actually directed to you, but after it posted I realized it went under your post. I couldn't delete it and repost with leaving it empty. and got busy with a phone call and forgot to go back and fix it.

I read it will open December ... so I think they can start to build now since they did the ground breaking ceremony.

My husband said he wished RoadTown Enterprises of Los Angeles, California had a little skin in the game - invested some of their own money... that way it would press them to make sure it moves forward and that they are truly committed. They claim it is a partnership ... but I think it is shaky we tax payers are on the hook for all the financial building of the studio?

However the numbers look good in that there were over 300 productions, around 800 million dollars brought to GA, and GA ranked 5th for film and TV production in the US. Wonder how many were Savannah vs. Atlanta area though … I did not see any info on actual cities filmed in… but I have not searched either

It does sound like an opportunity for airport use? It's worth being hopeful since I see no other business making Paulding home and flying into our unused airport.

(Not sure they are actually building it. Yes, the plans were drawn but I don't think it got past that stage).

My above comment was about the Community Center in Hiram. Is that what you are addressing here or are you speaking only of the Movie Studio?

From the comments yesterday it sounded like the guys from Road Town had some kind of connection to the good ole boy's club in the County, sounded like they might have grown up here. Then of course the property the studio is on is.. you guessed it.. so I won't have to say it...