Paulding.com

Did anyone catch last night on the news, I believe 11Alive, trying to ask Deal about missing portions of his filed tax returns. He absolutely refused to talk to the reporter...told them to go through the proper channels then he would talk. The reporter then went through the proper channels and Deal's people refused the interview.

This is the kind of despicable public avoidance I'd expect of a disgraced, ALREADY ELECTED, individual...not from a guy currently running for the highest office in GA. What kind of candidate turns down camera time? What kind of candidate refuses to answer important questions weighing on the public's mind? I was appalled by Deal's display of arrogance. I'm telling ya, he's probably going to win and it will be one of the biggest mistakes in this state's history.

mrnn

I saw that on WSB channel 2 and I am amazed that he has so many supporters.

Nathan Deal is an absolute joke. It's beyond comprehension that people are willing to look past the fact that he is a cheat and a crook just because he's a Republican. Let's give the guy who can't even hire a good accountant control over the state- great idea.

I am shocked by all the blind people who live in GA. It's getting to the point that I don't want to tell people where I'm from. HOW COULD ANYBODY VOTE FOR THIS GUY??? How can you explain away and possibly justify his shady dealings? I will never get it.

I do not want to vote for none of them. I am still p---ed at Roy Barnes. Lying scoundrel. I do not see how any politician lays thier heads down at night to sleep.

Deal has already explained that those records would release the income tax records of others he does business with. I don't know what part of that the news media doesn't get. It is against the law for him to release the income tax records of others. Seems to me they are guilty of a little badgering. Nothing new for them though.

Deal has already explained that those records would release the income tax records of others he does business with. I don't know what part of that the news media doesn't get. It is against the law for him to release the income tax records of others. Seems to me they are guilty of a little badgering. Nothing new for them though.

I probably wasn't clear in my OP....it isn't the tax returns I'm upset about (the guy is shady, his full tax return won't change that). I'm upset by the way he just felt no obligation whatsoever to speak to the issue. If it is really as simple as not being able to release them due to his partner's info (white out works wonders), then stop, turn to the camera, and pleasantly explain to the voting public that he would release them if he could but it would be illegal to do so. Would it be that difficult? Instead he chose to act aloof and ignore the camera, running into a secured room to escape. He looked like a man on the run..literally.

mrnn

I probably wasn't clear in my OP....it isn't the tax returns I'm upset about (the guy is shady, his full tax return won't change that). I'm upset by the way he just felt no obligation whatsoever to speak to the issue. If it is really as simple as not being able to release them due to his partner's info (white out works wonders), then stop, turn to the camera, and pleasantly explain to the voting public that he would release them if he could but it would be illegal to do so. Would it be that difficult? Instead he chose to act aloof and ignore the camera, running into a secured room to escape. He looked like a man on the run..literally.

mrnn

He has answered time and again. He looked exactly the way the News Media wanted him to look. They staged it. Some of us just see it for what it is.

Nathan Deal is an absolute joke. It's beyond comprehension that people are willing to look past the fact that he is a cheat and a crook just because he's a Republican. Let's give the guy who can't even hire a good accountant control over the state- great idea.

Which is he D or R :pardon:

"John Nathan Deal (born August 25, 1942) is a United States politician who was elected to the House of Representatives as a Democrat in 1992, before switching to the Republican Party in 1995."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Deal

I will take unpopular leadership style and abrasiveness and even a governor who has the audacity to LIE about his intentions regarding the state flag over blatant corruption (or even the appearance of) any day of the week.

Maybe you missed this then. http://savannahnow.c...-he-didnt-own-0

or this accusation about cases tried before judges he appointed: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/elections/georgia-elections/georgia-governor/2010-10-07/document-barnes-law-firm?v=1286432085

I don't know how many of these accusations are true but I doubt you can be 100% sure about those against Deal either.

Edited by NewsJunky
  • Like 1

Newsjunky:

Nice try. I can see the error on the taxes as a mistake and I can see it being rectified. I don't see including depreciation on a rental house that your child purchased and the note didn't get to the tax account as some sort of character issue. I don't see where he's complained about taxes nor made an honest effort to pay them as and when due.

The other issue - that his firm has earned millions by practicing before judges he appointed is really a stretch and here's why.

First, it would be no secret.

If it were, as suggested, some kind of conflict of interest, why didn't the opposition attorney file a motion asking the judges in those cases to recuse themselves.

Indeed, it is a right of an individual to CHOOSE THEIR ATTORNEY so that folks chose his law firm would speak well for them. People with legal issues obviously want him and his associates on their side.

If it was in any way a conflict of interest, it would be up to the judge to recuse themselves from hearing the case.

The point is that it is it would be up to the opposing attorney to claim a conflict and if so, it would be up to the judge to rule either for or against that motion.

There is nothing, however, that the court can do, to interfere with the attorney-client relationship.

This is absolutely a non-issue and Deal, as an attorney, knows this and frankly, Newsjunky, you should know this too.

pubby

Newsjunky:

Nice try. I can see the error on the taxes as a mistake and I can see it being rectified. I don't see including depreciation on a rental house that your child purchased and the note didn't get to the tax account as some sort of character issue. I don't see where he's complained about taxes nor made an honest effort to pay them as and when due.

The other issue - that his firm has earned millions by practicing before judges he appointed is really a stretch and here's why.

First, it would be no secret.

If it were, as suggested, some kind of conflict of interest, why didn't the opposition attorney file a motion asking the judges in those cases to recuse themselves.

Indeed, it is a right of an individual to CHOOSE THEIR ATTORNEY so that folks chose his law firm would speak well for them. People with legal issues obviously want him and his associates on their side.

If it was in any way a conflict of interest, it would be up to the judge to recuse themselves from hearing the case.

The point is that it is it would be up to the opposing attorney to claim a conflict and if so, it would be up to the judge to rule either for or against that motion.

There is nothing, however, that the court can do, to interfere with the attorney-client relationship.

This is absolutely a non-issue and Deal, as an attorney, knows this and frankly, Newsjunky, you should know this too.

pubby

I heard that when he looked at the mistake he discovered another one that indicates the government owes him $30,000. The point I am trying to make is that we can expect accusations about both of them to surface. We will just have to be good investigators and do some good research of our own. Politics stinks and people are brave to step into it. JMO

I heard that when he looked at the mistake he discovered another one that indicates the government owes him $30,000. The point I am trying to make is that we can expect accusations about both of them to surface. We will just have to be good investigators and do some good research of our own. Politics stinks and people are brave to step into it. JMO

Just to make sure voters compare apples to apples and to confirm NJ's point:

Barnes' camp acknowledges tax break error by Shannon McCaffrey

Associated Press Writer The Marietta Daily Journal October 15, 2010 12:00 AM

ATLANTA - Roy Barnes claimed federal and state income tax breaks in 2008 and 2009 for depreciation on a house he doesn't own, his campaign acknowledged Thursday.

Cobb County property records show Barnes' daughter and son-in-law have owned the house in Marietta since 2007 when Barnes gave it to them. Barnes, the Democratic nominee for governor, owns several properties on the road.

Barnes campaign spokesman Emil Runge called it an accounting error and said, as a result, the former governor had underpaid about $7,500 in taxes for the two years. His accountant is amending the returns to remove the tax break.

News of the tax discrepancy was first reported by the Savannah Morning News.

Runge said Thursday that in the course of reviewing Barnes' taxes his accountant found another error in 2008 that will deliver the former governor an additional tax refund of about $30,000.

That mistake involved a loss on the sale of shares in Habersham Bank. Barnes initially reported a gain of approximately $34,000 which should have been a loss of approximately $135,000.

Runge said the refund would more than offset the 2008 federal tax underpayment.

Barnes has attacked his Republican opponent Nathan Deal for not paying enough in taxes.

And the Deal campaign seized on the discrepancy Thursday.

Deal spokesman Brian Robinson said Barnes "has spent the entire campaign throwing rocks from his glass house."

"We forgive Roy for his 'accounting' error," Robinson said, adding Barnes' legal work has raked in hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts, "which makes it difficult to keep track of your kingdom and how many houses you own."

But Runge fired back that Barnes has been completely transparent with his taxes - releasing 25 years of full returns. Deal, meanwhile, has posted 29 years of cover pages for his tax returns, not schedules and other details.

"The voters of Georgia sure would like an opportunity to review Deal's complete tax returns to learn what he's hiding," Runge said.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Barnes camp acknowledges tax break error

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

I'm truly amazed that there are so many people stupid enough to support Nathan "Steal". He is a crook, and unfortunately if he gets elected, all of the citizens of GA have to pay. Yet again; another case of backwards hicks who represent the majority. Nathan Deal is the worst candidate to ever run for governor in this state. I would be embarrassed to say that I voted for him.

• Like 2

Maybe you missed this then. http://savannahnow.c...-he-didnt-own-0

or this accusation about cases tried before judges he appointed: http://chronicle.aug...rm?v=1286432085

I don't know how many of these accusations are true but I doubt you can be 100% sure about those against Deal either.

Uh, most, if not all of the reasons I won't vote for Deal are not accusations but known facts, many of which he has admitted to and then attempted to excuse away.

• Like 2

I'm truly amazed that there are so many people stupid enough to support Nathan "Steal". He is a crook, and unfortunately if he gets elected, all of the citizens of GA have to pay. Yet again; another case of backwards hicks who represent the majority. Nathan Deal is the worst candidate to ever run for governor in this state. I would be embarrassed to say that I voted for him.

LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping:

Deal's adds are embarrassingly bad...."let me try to scare you into voting for me by playing the most out-of-context soundbytes of my opponent that I can find!". It's like his entire campaign is based upon the premise that we're all a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

mrnn

Even the "backwards hicks" part? dry.gif

I would like to take issue with that description of Deal supporters.

The term is redundant, unless there are some progressive, forward-thinking hicks in these-here parts. I think that the fact that a scoundrel has ANY supporters is testimony to the fact that the dynamics behind our political system is broken. The problem is worse than hicks who are ignorant. The problem is that people CHOOSE to ignore all other factors, other than political parties.

Party politics is troubling. We're divided up between Red and Blue States! This is by design, the underlying message is that there are two choices and that's it. Tea Party? Give me a break. It's a rebranding of Republicans to gain market share. In two years, they'll come out with Tea Party Lite!

But don't vote for someone just because he's the only choice from "your party"! Vote for the person who is the better choice to do right by the citizens of Georgia. That can't be "The Scoundrel", Deal.

BTW, I'm yet to see an ad by Deal that tells what positive things he's going to do for Georgia! Wonder why that is so?

I would like to take issue with that description of Deal supporters.

The term is redundant, unless there are some progressive, forward-thinking hicks in these-here parts. I think that the fact that a scoundrel has ANY supporters is testimony to the fact that the dynamics behind our political system is broken. The problem is worse than hicks who are ignorant. The problem is that people CHOOSE to ignore all other factors, other than political parties.

Party politics is troubling. We're divided up between Red and Blue States! This is by design, the underlying message is that there are two choices and that's it. Tea Party? Give me a break. It's a rebranding of Republicans to gain market share. In two years, they'll come out with Tea Party Lite!

But don't vote for someone just because he's the only choice from "your party"! Vote for the person who is the better choice to do right by the citizens of Georgia. That can't be "The Scoundrel", Deal.

BTW, I'm yet to see an ad by Deal that tells what positive things he's going to do for Georgia! Wonder why that is so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQ4HlD1gDs

Even the "backwards hicks" part? dry.gif

forgot "racist". Rule # 5.

It could be that the voters in this state will have to hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils, it could also be that the voters are looking to vote for anyone who opposes 0bama and not support the same ideals that the current DC/whitehouse admin holds.

It could be that the voters in this state will have to hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils, it could also be that the voters are looking to vote for anyone who opposes 0bama and not support the same ideals that the current DC/whitehouse admin holds.

If in fact there are two evils, Deal damn sure ain't the lesser. ;)