2010 County Tax Bill

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SoundGuy You killed this thread by posting the FACTS, Good post

Yep, it's less because your house is worth less. Again, I ask you as I asked Feelip and he didn't answer. How would you feel about this tax INCREASE if your property value didn't drop??? They are c

Well, if we want to call a spade a spade, then we'd all have to agree that the *BOE* needs the big bow, they are close to 2/3s of our tax bill and they kept the rate the same (pretty much had to, they

Best tax increase I ever had. Saved me $2,500.00.

The only way you lose money on the value of your house is if you sell it for what it is said to be worth. The value of my house had almost tripled from when it was built but that was all on paper too.

The Austin BOC has no choice but to pay the bills for the debt that Shearin and company ran up.

Let me ask you this, did you really expect those over-inflated home values to continue to climb forever. How many times have you walked through new homes and thought "there is no way in heck this house is worth this much money?"

My husband is paid on commission. Revenue is down. What if he just informed his boss that he had voted himself a higher percentage to help make up the difference? Oh, and we don't need those extra dollars for living expenses, we just want to sock some of it into savings for next year. Think there would be some anger and resentment?

yes, I understand the need to maintain good ratings and a certain amount in reserve. But don't blow sunshine up my butt about it. This BOC did not give us a tax decrease. The economy tanked. It's still there.

My husband is paid on commission. Revenue is down. What if he just informed his boss that he had voted himself a higher percentage to help make up the difference? Oh, and we don't need those extra dollars for living expenses, we just want to sock some of it into savings for next year. Think there would be some anger and resentment?

yes, I understand the need to maintain good ratings and a certain amount in reserve. But don't blow sunshine up my butt about it. This BOC did not give us a tax decrease. The economy tanked. It's still there.

ok now I love you and naturegirl people are gonna start talking about us with all this love going around :rofl:

You do have a way with words girl!!!!laugh.gif

One thing is for sure. The last BOC gave us a tax increase and called it a decrease. I know I couldn't afford very many more of their decreases. And I'm as happy as a pig in mud that Mr. Austin, Mr. Graham ad now Mr. Pownall are on the BOC. If they can stay together for the next six or eight years I think we will see some major improvements in Paulding County. Some improvements that will benefit us all and not just Jerry and his buddies.

:blink: I just don't have a spiffy come back for the sunshine butt blowing thingy.

All I'm asking is that we call a spade a spade. Yes overall, for the majority, taxes went down. But there's no need for "atta boys" to the BOC because they had nothing to do with the decrease. It decreased because the economy over the country went bust. It had the potential to decrease even more, but the BOC choose to vote in a small millage rate increase. Were they securing our future and looking out for our best interests in doing so? Let's just take the high road for now and assume they were. So far, I don't have a history that would tell me otherwise.

Otherwise, don't wiz on my head and say it's raining. rofl.gif

• Like 1

All I'm asking is that we call a spade a spade. Yes overall, for the majority, taxes went down. But there's no need for "atta boys" to the BOC because they had nothing to do with the decrease. It decreased because the economy over the country went bust. It had the potential to decrease even more, but the BOC choose to vote in a small millage rate increase. Were they securing our future and looking out for our best interests in doing so? Let's just take the high road for now and assume they were. So far, I don't have a history that would tell me otherwise.

You keep on with these innuendos and you're going to get us sent to the Tonk. :D

Not entirely true. I have spoken with some of the commissioners about the annual reassessment, and why we are still doing it.

The previous BOC encouraged the Board of Assessors, which they appoint, to do an every year reassessment [state law only requires every 3 years]. King Jerry and company knew the prices were going to be going up and up and up, and wanted that every year reassessment so the revenue would increase annually.

The current BOC, and Board of Assessors are continuing with an every year re-assessment based on, "If we re-assessed every year while the values were soaring, then it should remain every year now that the values are plunging." And they are doing this knowing the revenue from the property taxes are going to be declining annually as a result.

If you take a hard look at the budget numbers, you will see the Assessors office and the Tax Commission office are still fully staffed. I personnally would rather see them cut back on the assessors, but I understand why they are staying with the annual reassessments in order to not over tax the homeowners now that prices have fallen.

Yes, from 2006 to 2007 my property tax increased 20% and stayed level for 2007, 2008 and 2009, even allowing for the lost tax credit. My point was that I'm still 15% higher than 2006 when my house was worth twice as much. I'm not going to jump for joy over saving $100 on my property tax when my house value is down 50%.

Madea Your example is a mathematical impossibility, there is no way possible that your home value can drop 50% as you contend and still be paying 15% more property taxes than you were in 2006

If this is suppose to be great thing can someone tell me why mine went up?>

nothing added... same as last year... but it did go up..

so someone explain this to me please.... I am not arguing the politics on this I truly would like to understand why mine went up....

In order to find your property tax amount – you take your assesed current market value of your house multiply that by 40 percent, take that number and multiply that by the millage rate.

Example – 80,000.00 X 40% = 32,000.00

32,000.00 x .033592 = $1,074.94

The milliage rate for 2009 was .032372

The millage rate for 2010 was .033592

As you can see there is a huge millage rate increase but thanks to our declining property values you might have seen a drop. Just imagine what our taxes would have looked like if we used the 2009 millage rate!

Madea Your example is a mathematical impossibility, there is no way possible that your home value can drop 50% as you contend and still be paying 15% more property taxes than you were in 2006

If we were buddies, I'd just show you the bills to prove my point. On the other hand, if we were buddies you wouldn't assume I was being dishonest and I would have nothing to prove. Either way, I'll let you assume whatever you want, stand by my statement, and let yours sit. Have a good day. drinks.gif

I am confused, too. Mine did go down - but a very small percentage. However, my home value has decreased drastically. How is it figured?

Careful. Whitey will tell you that is a mathematical impossibility. rolleyes.gif For the record, I believe you. wub.gif I'm in the same boat. sleep.gif

Best tax increase I ever had. Saved me $2,500.00.

The only way you lose money on the value of your house is if you sell it for what it is said to be worth. The value of my house had almost tripled from when it was built but that was all on paper too.

The Austin BOC has no choice but to pay the bills for the debt that Shearin and company ran up.

Let me ask you this, did you really expect those over-inflated home values to continue to climb forever. How many times have you walked through new homes and thought "there is no way in heck this house is worth this much money?"

The increase didn't save you $2500.00, your house is now worth a lot less than it was last year at this time and a whole lot less than three years ago. The BOC didn't run up the price of those homes and they sure didn't reduce the price of those homes. The market dictates the prices of houses, not the BOC.

You think it's great your taxes are lower than they were last year or the year before. Let me ask you this, if the price of your home had remained the same how would you have viewed the tax increase then?? This almost sounds like those clowns up in DC that think we're just too dumb to figure this stuff out on our own.

It was a slick move on their part and I am extremely disappointed they took advantage of good people that are struggling to stay in their homes. They should be embarassed, but no they think they're sly. And people like you are falling all over themselves at their "good fortune" <_<

The increase didn't save you $2500.00, your house is now worth a lot less than it was last year at this time and a whole lot less than three years ago. The BOC didn't run up the price of those homes and they sure didn't reduce the price of those homes. The market dictates the prices of houses, not the BOC.

You think it's great your taxes are lower than they were last year or the year before. Let me ask you this, if the price of your home had remained the same how would you have viewed the tax increase then?? This almost sounds like those clowns up in DC that think we're just too dumb to figure this stuff out on our own.

It was a slick move on their part and I am extremely disappointed they took advantage of good people that are struggling to stay in their homes. They should be embarassed, but no they think they're sly. And people like you are falling all over themselves at their "good fortune" <_<

:good: :drinks:

I just can't be pissed about having an extra $2,500 in my pocket in November.

In my case the value of the house means nothing. It's all on paper unless you sell.

:lol: So I got to you with my praise for the BOC did I? Take a deep breath. How's business?

If we were buddies, I'd just show you the bills to prove my point. On the other hand, if we were buddies you wouldn't assume I was being dishonest and I would have nothing to prove. Either way, I'll let you assume whatever you want, stand by my statement, and let yours sit. Have a good day. drinks.gif

Careful. Whitey will tell you that is a mathematical impossibility. rolleyes.gif For the record, I believe you. wub.gif I'm in the same boat. sleep.gif

See below.......

You bascially need to find your fair market value - apparently they said your house increased....if your bill is still going up!

In order to find your property tax amount – you take your assesed current market value of your house multiply that by 40 percent, take that number and multiply that by the millage rate.

Example – 80,000.00 X 40% = 32,000.00

32,000.00 x .033592 = $1,074.94

The milliage rate for 2009 was .032372

The millage rate for 2010 was .033592

If not - I would be appealing quickly!

I just can't be pissed about having an extra $2,500 in my pocket in November.

In my case the value of the house means nothing. It's all on paper unless you sell.

:lol: So I got to you with my praise for the BOC did I? Take a deep breath. How's business?

Business is horrible, but again we haven't done residential for about 10 years so the housing market hasn't affected us too much. Just wish there was a way to get more jobs!! I'm sure waterproofing and sealants are in high demand right now. ;)

Alabama isn't that far and they have a lot more going on than Georgia right now. ;)

Pure and simple arithmetic folks it does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

2006 M&O taxes collected $24,666,577

2007M&O taxes collected $26,541,762

2008M&O taxes collected $27,960,665

2009M&O taxes collected $26,823,150

2010 M&O taxes collected $25,201,557

That is a five year history of taxes collected based on the Tax Digest (property values), Now you can spin it any way that you want to but the facts clearly show that the County is now taxing the citizens of Paulding County $2,759,108 less that in 2008. And by doing so have reduced the tax burden on a large number of taxpayers, and are able to run this County and provide the services that are required almost at the level of taxes in 2006 and less than the taxes received in 2007.

So blast away at the elected officials if you desire, and vote them out of office, but by all means remember the facts and what has been accomplished with $2,759,108 less tax dollars.

Shaking head and walking away in disbelief

Pure and simple arithmetic folks it does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

2006 M&O taxes collected $24,666,577

2007M&O taxes collected $26,541,762

2008M&O taxes collected $27,960,665

2009M&O taxes collected $26,823,150

2010 M&O taxes collected $25,201,557

That is a five year history of taxes collected based on the Tax Digest (property values), Now you can spin it any way that you want to but the facts clearly show that the County is now taxing the citizens of Paulding County $2,759,108 less that in 2008. And by doing so have reduced the tax burden on a large number of taxpayers, and are able to run this County and provide the services that are required almost at the level of taxes in 2006 and less than the taxes received in 2007.

So blast away at the elected officials if you desire, and vote them out of office, but by all means remember the facts and what has been accomplished with $2,759,108 less tax dollars.

Shaking head and walking away in disbelief

Yep, it's less because your house is worth less. Again, I ask you as I asked Feelip and he didn't answer. How would you feel about this tax INCREASE if your property value didn't drop??? They are collecting less because the houses are worth a LOT less!!! That is not a tax decrease from the BOC, you can thank Freddie and Fannie for the property value decreases. ;) Do I need to type a little slower for you to understand??

• Like 2

This is my take on it. Under David Austin, county expenditures have gone down significantly each of two years in a row and should have. Simultaneously, revenue sources are yielding less and less. Two trend lines have been heading towards one another for awhile. They are converging in a better time frame because of the county budget cuts of the last 2 budgets. Are there further cuts that should be made? Possibly, maybe very likely.

But, we are certainly in better and more accountable hands than than we were before. And I like my lower tax bill. Would I like it to be lower? Damn tootin'. But if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we could all have a Merry Christmas. Practicality has to rear its ugly head somewhere.

• Like 1

Yep, it's less because your house is worth less. Again, I ask you as I asked Feelip and he didn't answer. How would you feel about this tax INCREASE if your property value didn't drop??? They are collecting less because the houses are worth a LOT less!!! That is not a tax decrease from the BOC, you can thank Freddie and Fannie for the property value decreases. ;) Do I need to type a little slower for you to understand??

AMEN!!!!!!!! :clapping:

I thought I did. The only way I will realize a decrease in value is if I sell my house. I'm not planning on selling my house so the drop in value is just on paper. It doesn't effect me.

I thought I did. The only way I will realize a decrease in value is if I sell my house. I'm not planning on selling my house so the drop in value is just on paper. It doesn't effect me.

Ah, but it does. Without the increase your savings would have been more. ;)

So I take it you're fine with the tax increase. OK ;)

Boy, the BOC has a lot of people snowed, don't they.

Yep, this election cycle just created another good ole boy network. Different names, different faces same ole BS. ;)

I was just thinking the same thing, and I believe it it time fir David to take some blame for himself. All he says

is the other administration. I know they did some things that weren't right, but come on David you have been in there

almost 2 years.

Not entirely true. I have spoken with some of the commissioners about the annual reassessment, and why we are still doing it.

The previous BOC encouraged the Board of Assessors, which they appoint, to do an every year reassessment [state law only requires every 3 years]. King Jerry and company knew the prices were going to be going up and up and up, and wanted that every year reassessment so the revenue would increase annually.

The current BOC, and Board of Assessors are continuing with an every year re-assessment based on, "If we re-assessed every year while the values were soaring, then it should remain every year now that the values are plunging." And they are doing this knowing the revenue from the property taxes are going to be declining annually as a result.

If you take a hard look at the budget numbers, you will see the Assessors office and the Tax Commission office are still fully staffed. I personnally would rather see them cut back on the assessors, but I understand why they are staying with the annual reassessments in order to not over tax the homeowners now that prices have fallen.

A relative in real estate was surprised, and impressed, when I told him our property was reassessed this year. I got the impression that they thought most counties would not being doing re-assessments this year, in order to keep revenues high. So if that is the case, seems like our county did the right thing. But our taxes went down over $400...I might not be so complementary if it had went the other way. ;)

A relative in real estate was surprised, and impressed, when I told him our property was reassessed this year. I got the impression that they thought most counties would not being doing re-assessments this year, in order to keep revenues high. So if that is the case, seems like our county did the right thing. But our taxes went down over $400...I might not be so complementary if it had went the other way. ;)

Just wait til next year. :) Your taxes didn't go down because of the millage rate. ;)