Paulding.com

What year is it Paulding County Government?

So picked up the phone and had Sarah at the switchboard connect me to the health department. Well not quite that bad, but Paulding does feel a little like Mayberry.

Would it be to much to ask of our county departments to do a better job of updating information to the public??

Example -

I called the Paulding Health Department to find out if they had the H1N1 vaccine. In short, they do not know when they are getting the injection vaccine. I understand that, they just don't know, which is ok. But, I feel like they should be able to provide that information online. Seems like it would be easier for everyone.

Oddly enough, if you visit Cobb County's site, it has all kinds of up-to-date information regarding H1H1 distribution.

So I called the school system to see if they were offering it to students (like many other school systems across the nation). The person that answered had no idea and it sounded like that was the first time she had ever heard the question. She transferred me to the nurse, who was not there.

(I do have to say of all of the county departments I've visited, the schools seem to do the best job of providing current information online.)

Is it too much to asked of our county officials to get up to speed with current times. Does the school system really have no plan for this?

I've lived in Paulding for 5 years now and I get the feeling we need some new folks running this county. Sometimes I get the feeling that the folks running the county only do it because they lost their spot on Hee Haw when it went off the air.

Don't take me wrong, I've had many great experiences with general county employees. They are always polite and helpful. But I think the folks running the county might lack direction or something.

Is it just me, or is this county WAY behind?

This county does not have the money to do many of the things Cobb can.

Having a plan and updating a web site does not require tremendous amounts of money. We as residents and taxpayers of the county must request more from our county.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I had to go to the court house to file some paper work for mama, we waited to sign it and get it notarized because I thought surely they have someone in the court house that does that.

well I was wrong, they do not notarize anything for the public at the court house, so I had to leave mama sitting there while I ran to my bank, and sign the paper work and get it notarized and witnessed and then go back to the court house to get it filed.

It would save a lot of leg work and frustration if they would do this as a courtesy to the people who came in there I was even prepared to pay for it.

but my bank did it all for me at no charge,. the sad thing about this is that my son is notary but because it was family he could not do it,

so yeah I agree with this topic.

So picked up the phone and had Sarah at the switchboard connect me to the health department. Well not quite that bad, but Paulding does feel a little like Mayberry.

Would it be to much to ask of our county departments to do a better job of updating information to the public??

Example -

I called the Paulding Health Department to find out if they had the H1N1 vaccine. In short, they do not know when they are getting the injection vaccine. I understand that, they just don't know, which is ok. But, I feel like they should be able to provide that information online. Seems like it would be easier for everyone.

Oddly enough, if you visit Cobb County's site, it has all kinds of up-to-date information regarding H1H1 distribution.

So I called the school system to see if they were offering it to students (like many other school systems across the nation). The person that answered had no idea and it sounded like that was the first time she had ever heard the question. She transferred me to the nurse, who was not there.

(I do have to say of all of the county departments I've visited, the schools seem to do the best job of providing current information online.)

Is it too much to asked of our county officials to get up to speed with current times. Does the school system really have no plan for this?

I've lived in Paulding for 5 years now and I get the feeling we need some new folks running this county. Sometimes I get the feeling that the folks running the county only do it because they lost their spot on Hee Haw when it went off the air.

Don't take me wrong, I've had many great experiences with general county employees. They are always polite and helpful. But I think the folks running the county might lack direction or something.

I think its just you. You can always move to COBB since you think they do such a better job.

isn't funny how people want small town charm, until they figure out that it's not as convenient as big city living?

True. Plus, it is much easier to call your private physician in regards to the H1N1 vaccine. I received mine and I am on a waiting list for my children.

isn't funny how people want small town charm, until they figure out that it's not as convenient as big city living?

I didn't come here wanting small town charm. Just expect decent services from my county. Does not have to be a big city to make things happen. Paulding isn't exactly small town either.

True. Plus, it is much easier to call your private physician in regards to the H1N1 vaccine. I received mine and I am on a waiting list for my children.

So to make sure I understand your argument, are you saying it is easier because the county does not have good, up-to-date information, or it is easier for no actual reason.

Because either way you are having to call, drive to the office, and in your case wait.

Not all private physicians have elected to carry the vaccine, and they certainly do not know when they will receive it.

Asking for them to post information online and having a plan is really not a big city service.

This county does not have the money to do many of the things Cobb can.

We do have money it just hasnt been used very wisely for several years. Like someone else said updating a website does not take alot of time or money.

I will say though I would rather live in Paulding than deal with Cobb's crime and traffic.

So to make sure I understand your argument, are you saying it is easier because the county does not have good, up-to-date information, or it is easier for no actual reason.

Because either way you are having to call, drive to the office, and in your case wait.

Not all private physicians have elected to carry the vaccine, and they certainly do not know when they will receive it.

Asking for them to post information online and having a plan is really not a big city service.

My first thought is never to call the county when it comes to my health or my children's health. We just view things differently, I suppose.

If anyone needs to know, West Atlanta Pediatrics does have the vaccine and will start vaccinating next week but you have to already be on the wait list.

My first thought is never to call the county when it comes to my health or my children's health. We just view things differently, I suppose.

If anyone needs to know, West Atlanta Pediatrics does have the vaccine and will start vaccinating next week but you have to already be on the wait list.

You obviously have no clue. You realize it is the same vaccine no matter where you go right (other than nasal spray vs. injection)?? All comes from the same place.

Do you even know anything about the health department? You should educate yourself before speaking about something you know nothing about.

Don't feel so bad. We have been trying for years to have the county run water down our road, every road around us has running (county) water but us, one would think that with all the taxes we pay we could at least get one service from it. Don't get me wrong I love my well water but with all the sub/divs that sprung up around us I get concerned with the safety of the well water (we do have it tested on a regular basis). Don't guess the county cares though.

Hey!!! I take offense to that comment!!! :lol: Hee Haw was years ahead of its time and this place :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you even know anything about the health department? You should educate yourself before speaking about something you know nothing about.

Well, you might want to educate yourself as well....

#1. The health department is NOT a county department. It's a state department.

The county has NO control or say so of what the health department does.

The county has NO employees that work at the health department.

It's called the "Paulding County Health Department" because of it's location. Not because of it's association to the county government.

...and the information on the counties website is SOLELY there for convenience of the citizens.

If the information is outdated, it is most likely because the STATE has not provided up to date information to the county

to be able to post to the website.

Edited by Nitro

hurstsg - So what did bring your to Paulding County? Did you vote for Sheridan in the past, if so then you know all your money went to his plans...

If I as a parent was needing to get vaccines for my kids the first place I would look was my ped office, if I did not have insruance then I would start contacting the health department, certain drug stores, etc.... the vaccine you are looking for is very slow in coming no matter where you live.

Did you not see the news where a pregant school teacher was looking everywhere for it.... no we do not have automated responses for every call made.

Yes we are behind the times in some things, past polotics... the health department is under the county sure, but run by the state... so complain to them.. and again you moved to Paulidng for what reason?

NanaPaulding - I guess you have not had any sudvisions in your area, that is a good thing, that is the way the county runs new water lines, in the past anyway..... if the Sheridan crew voted in another of many, many, cluster homes the development had to run water lines, if you were in their path, you got county water... Please advise where do you get your well water tested? I would like to do this since we have growth around us.

Yeah, I guess they could move back to the big city........... 8)

i depend on my county government to maintain roads, educate my child (for 2 more years), and provide emergency services (police and fire). period.

i guess i'm just on of them country folk who remembers how to take care of myself and my own.

i depend on my county government to maintain roads, educate my child (for 2 more years), and provide emergency services (police and fire). period.

i guess i'm just on of them country folk who remembers how to take care of myself and my own.

And by "Country Folk" you mean American people, right?

Seems like everyone wants the government, no matter on what scale (local, state, or federal) to take care of them.

I'm with you. I'm even willing to let them stop with the education... It's been proven that private schooling is far superior.

Other than that, keep the government out of my hair and let me do my own thing as long as it doesn't hurt or infringe on someone else.

Actually, we're not behind at all. The Dept. of Health is a state agency and as such is managed from Atlanta.

The county does run the web site and frankly, the county has done comparatively well in comparison with others in terms of data and information being migrated to the web. This is fitting considering the youthful age of the county.

That said state and local governments are in tough times these days financially. Unable to go in the red constitutionally (like the FEDS); they have to do things like lay folks off, cut operating hours, etc.

Given the county provides the web links/pages to independent state run county offices like the Health Dept, the reality is that it takes prioritizing updates between two different offices... each with different priorities.

But it is, in my opinion, incorrect to blame that on a generally backward attitude in this case and I do believe the county is actually ahead of the game in many areas of bringing county government to the people.

They aren't perfect and you've pointed to a particular failure but it is far from universal and not indicative of a backward attitude, in my opinion ... and I've been and am an Internet pioneer.

pubby

Example -

Just curious but are you the "Hurst" that ran unsucessfully for a post commission seat last year? Just asking a simple question so please don't blast me - thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

What was it like in the early days?

Did you move your files across the prairie by chuck wagon and build your server farms out of sod?

No! but he has moved massive amounts equipment up the longest, rickitiest, and oldest set of stairs in Dallas to run the site!

By the way...........................

WELCOME TO P.COM