Paulding.com

My latest creation

These are great. We grew some gouds this year, any advise on how to dry and use them. These are great creations, prices would have been nice.

The price for this design is 30.00. It's a one of a kind creation and will only be made in limited quantity. Thanks for asking! (Sometimes I have to be reminded.)

Drying gourds is not a problem really. Mostly what you need is a place for them to hang for months to dry out. I hang them from the rafters on the porch, or I used to. I'm gonna have to establish a better method of drying. I'd cut the stems at about 5-6 inches from the gourd, then nail it to an exposed rafter beam. It really looked kind of cool when I stepped out on the porch and saw them all. Also, keeping them where I could see them allowed me to monitor them for rot. Once I saw rot on one, I'd yank it down and toss it. Rot isn't usually much of a problem with good air circulation and not allowing them to sit on a shelf. I'd like to add that I've known some growers to leave them on the vine until a few months have passed before cutting them to finish the drying process.

Gourds are terrific! They can be used as practical items or as decorative. Some people paint them without even cutting one, usually on something like a goose gourd or one of the small egg gourds. Then of course, you can always just drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage and cut a round hole in the side to use them as birdhouses.

Wow, that is pretty! I would have never thought to make anything but a birdhouse from a gourd....very creative!

Thanks Smoochie! I was just on my way to your thread with the duck pics...I loved those! :wub:

That's pretty cool!

I LOVE working with gourds. They have to be the most versatile fruit in the world where crafting is concerned. (Yes, they are fruit, not vegetable.)

Thanks Soapmom! Gourds are fun, aren't they? And you're completely correct! I'm gonna be doing some other stuff with other varieties soon too. I think my favorite gourd is the canteen gourd. Thanks again! :wub:

Very creative and pretty. Good job.

Tona

Thanks so much Tona! It was a lot of fun to make. :wub:

That is very cool

Thanks! :)

That is beautiful Lisa! Where can you get gourds, if you don't grow them? I'd love to try messing around w/ some.

You can look around on the internet to find some gourd growers. I prefer to grow my own, and hand pick them, but I have been known to order some when necessary. Thanks so much for the sweet compliment! :wub:

cute!

Thanks CE!!! :)

I like those better then the one in your avatar LOL

Me too! :wub: I need to change it, huh? ::goingtoupdateavatar::

Is it wrong of me to think one could slip a Toy in there and have a cute and effective Hidey Hole.

Is it wrong of me to think one could slip a Toy in there and have a cute and effective Hidey Hole.

Hahaha! Not wrong at all. What's better than dressing up a nightstand in the bedroom and keeping a little secret? :ph34r:

My mother was an artist, and worked with several different mediums--one of her favorites was painting/decorating gourds. I have probably 4 of her gourds, the rest are spread out among family and friends. Yours are very beautiful!

Gathering ideas for my little gourd... B) I like your bowls. What did you use to get them so shiny?

I didn't use anything over the paint. I just made sure that had cleaned the gourd well and painted evenly all over. It came out really nice without applying anything else.

My mother was an artist, and worked with several different mediums--one of her favorites was painting/decorating gourds. I have probably 4 of her gourds, the rest are spread out among family and friends. Yours are very beautiful!

Thanks! :wub:

I love making them and well...I just love any chance to use a power tool! :lol: