Paulding.com

Airport meeting on WSB News

The jobs should have been here before, the commitments should have been signed. We can sit here all day and say it will bring jobs, what jobs?? Is anyone even interested?

I'm sorry this is putting the cart before the horse. That airport in St. Louis, IL is beautiful............it's empty. Gwinnett county didn't want this, they already have plenty of businesses. Does that not tell anyone this needs further study?

No I don't believe our elected officials or the Airport Authority have the best interest of Paulding citizens in mind. There are many of us.

Your welcome to your opinion, I believe that you will be surprised by the jobs. Your statement about the jobs having already been here makes no since at all. That airport has been on a very tight budget with the county paying as few people as possible while they worked on bringing companies there. The only jobs inside this county, are government, which is still the largest employer which I find disturbing and smattering of higher paid industry and management of the minimum wage industry.

Quite frankly the handful will never trust or appreciate anything going on economically. What I do see is a lot of fish wanting back in the pond and if they can't get back in they want to destroy it for everyone.

Your welcome to your opinion, I believe that you will be surprised by the jobs. Your statement about the jobs having already been here makes no since at all. That airport has been on a very tight budget with the county paying as few people as possible while they worked on bringing companies there. The only jobs inside this county, are government, which is still the largest employer which I find disturbing and smattering of higher paid industry and management of the minimum wage industry.

Quite frankly the handful will never trust or appreciate anything going on economically. What I do see is a lot of fish wanting back in the pond and if they can't get back in they want to destroy it for everyone.

Here is a quote that did not make it to p.com.

Swafford said commercial air traffic – the bane of the Gwinnett County proposal as far as citizens were concerned, will only account for approximately 10-percent of the revenue Paulding County derives from this airport. Instead, he said, his vision of an aerospace research and manufacturing complex on the airport grounds will provide hundreds if not thousands of jobs and millions if not billions of dollars to the local economy.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, I don't know..I thought it was very informative...if you didn't want to know anything except that they could care less what the public thought...

I really feel like David Austin did Todd wrong.... arrogance (or cowardice) on Mr Austin's part. I will not be voting for David Austin.

I live in the same subdivision as LPPT..............Paulding airport will not affect me directly,and I don't care if Todd knew about the expansion or not.   What I do care about and every one should

Swafford said commercial air traffic – the bane of the Gwinnett County proposal as far as citizens were concerned, will only account for approximately 10-percent of the revenue Paulding County derives from this airport. Instead, he said, his vision of an aerospace research and manufacturing complex on the airport grounds will provide hundreds if not thousands of jobs and millions if not billions of dollars to the local economy.

Yea, I have a vision for my company, too Paulding County shut me out. They campaigned on no tax hikes, got elected and turned right around and raised the millage rates.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion. Spending taxpayer money is the citizens business. Throwing taxpayer money away is our business.

Where is the feasibility study? Where's the impact study? What about that land of 1000 stop lights in Hiram on the "limited access" Hwy. Build it and they will come was a movie. Without something solid it's all pipe dreams.

I've heard this BS for 20 years, nothing and I mean nothing they said would happen has. 20 years later we still have no viable business that was promised with the "4 lane". Instead we have rows and rows of fast food, strip malls and empty buildings.

I have very valid reasons not to trust politicians, the lie and lie and lie.

• Like 1

So why keep it secret from the post commissioner and the citizens who own the airport ? ? ?

We have sunshine laws in this state for good reason.

8)

• Like 2

So why keep it secret from the post commissioner and the citizens who own the airport ? ? ?

We have sunshine laws in this state for good reason.

8)

There were statements made over and over that secrecy was necessary and why.

It does not seem like a lie to me when Delta and Mayor Reed come after you.

Of course those that want the airport closed would have loved for it to get out early so that those powers could resolve their problem.

They are aware that a lack of secrecy can stop a lot of economic development plans. That is why they are pushing.

Again and again there is still no proof of illegal activity. The same ones insinuate wrong doing and there is never proof. They don't like what is going on for various reasons.

A handful of negative citizens should never be able to stop good jobs from coming into the county.

• Like 1

There were statements made over and over that secrecy was necessary and why.

It does not seem like a lie to me when Delta and Mayor Reed come after you.

Of course those that want the airport closed would have loved for it to get out early so that those powers could resolve their problem.

They are aware that a lack of secrecy can stop a lot of economic development plans. That is why they are pushing.

Again and again there is still no proof of illegal activity. The same ones insinuate wrong doing and there is never proof. They don't like what is going on for various reasons.

A handful of negative citizens should never be able to stop good jobs from coming into the county.

It's WAY more than a handful of people, everyone wants jobs. However, they want jobs and to be able to trust their elected officials. No one I know wants the airport closed, we want what we were promised, a small airport with corporate jets and puddle jumpers, not commercial flights.

Yea, I have a vision for my company, too Paulding County shut me out. They campaigned on no tax hikes, got elected and turned right around and raised the millage rates.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion. Spending taxpayer money is the citizens business. Throwing taxpayer money away is our business.

Where is the feasibility study? Where's the impact study? What about that land of 1000 stop lights in Hiram on the "limited access" Hwy. Build it and they will come was a movie. Without something solid it's all pipe dreams.

I've heard this BS for 20 years, nothing and I mean nothing they said would happen has. 20 years later we still have no viable business that was promised with the "4 lane". Instead we have rows and rows of fast food, strip malls and empty buildings.

I have very valid reasons not to trust politicians, the lie and lie and lie.

Those that made all the money in the housing market opened the door for poverty row. I am pretty sure that industry was never supported here because a lot of folks did not see anything in it for them.

Well paying jobs are going to be a game changer, owners of large manufacturing companies are going to want to be part of the many boards the decide much of what goes on. That will surely throw a wrench in cronyism.

The power structure is going to change dramatically, it might be that years of a$$ ki$$ing by some will be wasted.

There is more than one way of looking at things. It is not big government against little people here. I am tired of people trying to exercise their anger towards the federal government on a local level.

It's WAY more than a handful of people, everyone wants jobs. However, they want jobs and to be able to trust their elected officials. No one I know wants the airport closed, we want what we were promised, a small airport with corporate jets and puddle jumpers, not commercial flights.

Really, there are folks that have records of every penny of local taxpayers dollars spent out there. It is time to make it pull it's own weight. I just don't see thousands of people headed to Paulding to get commercial flights all over the country. Can it be viable yes, another Hartsfield, very doubtful. If anything it will probably be travel agency flights to Florida and the Caribbean. Maybe to Vegas or Disney world.

I can't find that quote or who said it anywhere. The way it is stated is offensive to all the people in this county and reflects terribly on everyone on the airport authority. It is very important to substantiate it word for word.

the video is now posted on WSB Board members say it is a done deal and they really don't need the public's approval

I did not say that I am against the airport. I am against the screw the citizens attitude that comes with every decision made in this county.

• Like 1

I will be the first to say that as far as the ins and outs of how the airport will affect those around it and how successful it can or will be, I have no clue.

I do know that with major business deals keeping things on QT can be a major part of getting the deal done.

So I cannot have an informed opinion on whether the county commissioners have served the people and county of Paulding well with the airport deal.

But I do know this.

If you have this much controversy over who knew what and when.

If you have the general public feeling that they do not have a voice in what goes on in their community and with their elected officials, then you as the elected officials have done something wrong somewhere.

Whether it is with the deal itself, whether it is in keeping silent with some elected officials or whether it is in the way that you presented to deal to the public and/or the way that you have treated said public who have questions about the deal; somewhere along the line, you screwed up.

Since we all screw up at one time or another, I suggest that the elected officials do what we try and teach our kids to do when they screw up.

Admit what you screwed up, ask for forgiveness for the mistake and try and do it right from now on.

If they refuse to admit that mistakes were made, and again I have do not know exactly what and where the mistakes were, then their is a bigger problem.

Because when people refuse to admit a mistake, they will continue to make these same mistakes over and over again.

To repeat myself, why do I think mistakes were made somewhere along the line.

Because if there were no mistakes made, you may have some who are not happy with the deal, but you wouldn't have the commissioners "fighting" in public, you wouldn't have a large portion of the people saying they feel the elected officials do not care what they want and last but certainly not least, it wouldn't be news worthy for the local TV.

(and that is taking into account the fact that I have little respect for what the local news channels consider news worthy)

• Like 4

Those that made all the money in the housing market opened the door for poverty row. I am pretty sure that industry was never supported here because a lot of folks did not see anything in it for them.

Well paying jobs are going to be a game changer, owners of large manufacturing companies are going to want to be part of the many boards the decide much of what goes on. That will surely throw a wrench in cronyism.

The power structure is going to change dramatically, it might be that years of a$ ki$ing by some will be wasted.

There is more than one way of looking at things. It is not big government against little people here. I am tired of people trying to exercise their anger towards the federal government on a local level.

You realize we don't do houses, right. We do whole shopping centers, condos, theaters, banks, schools, all commercial applications. We have done entire shopping malls, the one in Orange Beach Alabama was my favorite.

So yea, we've been a mulitmillion business in Paulding for over 20 years, they didn't give us the time of day.

You realize we don't do houses, right. We do whole shopping centers, condos, theaters, banks, schools, all commercial applications. We have done entire shopping malls, the one in Orange Beach Alabama was my favorite.

So yea, we've been a mulitmillion business in Paulding for over 20 years, they didn't give us the time of day.

Do they know who you are? I am aware of the issue that new business coming into Paulding is not aware of what already exist and goes outside the county.

Jamie and I have discussed building a data base with bio's of existing businesses to resolve this issue.

Do they know who you are? I am aware of the issue that new business coming into Paulding is not aware of what already exist and goes outside the county.

Jamie and I have discussed building a data base with bio's of existing businesses to resolve this issue.

I get tax bills every year and I pay them. We've been in the same location for 14 years and the other one 9 years before that. So I'm guessing they "should" know what businesses exist in Paulding. Todd Pownall, knows exactly who we are and what we do. But then he is our post commissioner. ;)

We've also been chamber members for all those years. Kevin knows me well.

Edited by tundra

I get tax bills every year and I pay them. We've been in the same location for 14 years and the other one 9 years before that. So I'm guessing they "should" know what businesses exist in Paulding. Todd Pownall, knows exactly who we are and what we do. But then he is our post commissioner. ;)

We've also been chamber members for all those years. Kevin knows me well.

So you think you should have seen some business from the county.

Well, sort of but it was a little difficult when they banned stucco on 278 and Business 6.

Why did they do that? Was the Ingles built before that? Some of the buildings over there do have what looks like a combination of stucco and brick?

Why did they do that? Was the Ingles built before that? Some of the buildings over there do have what looks like a combination of stucco and brick?

There is no arguing that it hurt your business locally. For the record there are a handful of things that I am critical about especially when it comes to local businesses.

I am behind this new plan for the local airport and economic development.

It is so easy to criticize, I try to look at the positive and share my criticisms in private with those I disagree with. I think our tap fees are way too high for small business and I am not sure if it is discouraging the small business and only allowing corporate or franchise with more money to come in.

But on the other hand some of the start up looks no better than a garage business it looks bad.

There is no arguing that it hurt your business locally. For the record there are a handful of things that I am critical about especially when it comes to local businesses.

I am behind this new plan for the local airport and economic development.

It is so easy to criticize, I try to look at the positive and share my criticisms in private with those I disagree with. I think our tap fees are way too high for small business and I am not sure if it is discouraging the small business and only allowing corporate or franchise with more money to come in.

But on the other hand some of the start up looks no better than a garage business it looks bad.

See this is what I've been trying to say, they don't have their ducks in a row. While attracting new business is a must, keeping in touch with your existing business is also important. I have no idea why they banned stucco, nor do I care. It was their loss, we continue to provide quality work all over the Southeast. It was not my place to contact them but their job.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand.

See this is what I've been trying to say, they don't have their ducks in a row. While attracting new business is a must, keeping in touch with your existing business is also important. I have no idea why they banned stucco, nor do I care. It was their loss, we continue to provide quality work all over the Southeast. It was not my place to contact them but their job.

You will not get a disagreement with me about business needing a better voice here. And a better way of being kept informed.

There were little to no local suppliers/vendors for the courthouse, administration building or airport building, not to mention the hospital.

We have many businesses here that could have done the counters, cabinets, work stations, stainless steel, plumbing, electrical, STUCCO, etc. Instead it went to the campaign donors and the contractor cronies, even though we [except for the hospital] were paying the bills on a cost plus basis.

Left hand.....I'd like you to meet right hand.

But not here.

With all the business that is predicted to come here,where is the water coming from?

Paulding still relies on water from cobb county.

There is plenty of water available. We have over 20 million gallons of water per day allocated with usage of just under 9 million gallons per day which leaves over 11 million gallons per day. Most industrial users are less than 15,000 gallons per day unless they are a food processer. For aerospace or manufacturers water availability is excellent and better than most northwest Georgia counties.

With all the business that is predicted to come here,where is the water coming from?

Paulding still relies on water from cobb county.

Light to medium manufacturing, warehousing, distribution centers, assembly plants, etc., need water to flush the toilets and wash hands.

We built Egg Washing machines that were operated for 8 to 10 hours before shipping, and we still never exceeded the minimum water bills amount with 25 employees.

Same argument for Interstate Highways. That is for malls and retail. Not for manufacturing. Proximity to Imtermodal Yards are higher up the list than Interstates.

Every bit of the back and forth so far seems to assume (on both sides) that what the end result will be is what Blake Swafford says it will be. A couple of commercial flights a week an the rest Areospace R/D and private usage. It ain't.

As earlier pointed out in another thread, most of the secrecy was to get this by three groups, City of Atlanta, Delta Airlines and the electorate that voted against the airport to begin with. Two of those three groups have something in common. They together control the World's Busiest Airport literally right down the road a piece.

There is a great deal of profit and prestige that comes along with that control. Decades of forward thinking and planning have been done by both under the assumption of the current airport being the only game in town. Look back at the statements made by Mayor Reed and the Delta CEO right after the news of the deal broke. When is the last time you remember the CEO of a global corporation making that negative of an open threat against a potential competitor? Much less a little piss ant airport out in the boonies, not even a competing airline. A politician sure, but a CEO?

Both these folks have seen and recognize the camels nose inside the door of the tent. The tent is here, the camel is here and the nose is here. If the rest of the head comes thru you can stop the debate and start deciding if you like this tent still or would you prefer another.

I figure you have about a decade before Paulding stops being a county with an airport, and the airport ends up being the county. It's not an if, it's a when.

• Like 1

Every bit of the back and forth so far seems to assume (on both sides) that what the end result will be is what Blake Swafford says it will be. A couple of commercial flights a week an the rest Areospace R/D and private usage. It ain't.

As earlier pointed out in another thread, most of the secrecy was to get this by three groups, City of Atlanta, Delta Airlines and the electorate that voted against the airport to begin with. Two of those three groups have something in common. They together control the World's Busiest Airport literally right down the road a piece.

There is a great deal of profit and prestige that comes along with that control. Decades of forward thinking and planning have been done by both under the assumption of the current airport being the only game in town. Look back at the statements made by Mayor Reed and the Delta CEO right after the news of the deal broke. When is the last time you remember the CEO of a global corporation making that negative of an open threat against a potential competitor? Much less a little piss ant airport out in the boonies, not even a competing airline. A politician sure, but a CEO?

Both these folks have seen and recognize the camels nose inside the door of the tent. The tent is here, the camel is here and the nose is here. If the rest of the head comes thru you can stop the debate and start deciding if you like this tent still or would you prefer another.

I figure you have about a decade before Paulding stops being a county with an airport, and the airport ends up being the county. It's not an if, it's a when.

Just ask yourself why 1/2 the AA wasn't at the meeting yesterday and was in Hong Kong? Hong Kong and Singapore are the home to large hedge funds... I think the airport has the potential with Asian investment $$ to be another Chicago Midway or Houston Hobby.

• Like 1

Just ask yourself why 1/2 the AA wasn't at the meeting yesterday and was in Hong Kong? Hong Kong and Singapore are the home to large hedge funds... I think the airport has the potential with Asian investment $ to be another Chicago Midway or Houston Hobby.

Brent Sparks who is not on the Airport Authority and was the organizer of the Airshow was in Hong Kong because as a pilot it is his job to fly planes there and does so several times a month. Mayors Austin and Devey were at municipal meetings outside the county and Carolyn Wright of the chamber has been sick for over a week. She was not in the office Monday, Tuesday or today.

Edited by Jamie Gilbert
  • Like 2

Just ask yourself why 1/2 the AA wasn't at the meeting yesterday and was in Hong Kong? Hong Kong and Singapore are the home to large hedge funds... I think the airport has the potential with Asian investment $ to be another Chicago Midway or Houston Hobby.

So, is that what we want?:unsure:

So, is that what we want?:unsure:

Believe we've already been told what we want doesn't matter.

It's down to which of the big dogs has the worst bite. We're just watching from around the pit. Matter of fact.........I ain't just right sure WE ain't the pit.

Just ask yourself why 1/2 the AA wasn't at the meeting yesterday and was in Hong Kong? Hong Kong and Singapore are the home to large hedge funds... I think the airport has the potential with Asian investment $$ to be another Chicago Midway or Houston Hobby.

Why do I find that bazaar? Google the airport location on google earth nothing for miles and miles a four lane that is deserted mostly between rush hour. Soo Paulding is headed to the big time without expressways, limited rail ect. Folks need to be glad that they are getting what we are getting considering housing and retail took most of the decent land. The 4 lanes are looking more and more doubtful as more and more structures pop up on them.

I think folks are getting way ahead of themselves. As far as I know we are reaching for some balance to give the homeowner some tax relief.

There are not that many choices, the houses were built, the schools, the parks, the courthouse, on and on. We won't even discuss foreclosure and property values.

I could say more about those hunting trouble but I will stop where I am at.

Surepip, I agree with you on Courthouse, but there was still some small areas that local vendors sunch as surveyors were not included. I think this company had major problems, but we still proceeded with the Taj Mahal. I hope that the commissioners understand the impact.

Paulding County is still operated by the good ol' boy network. I have no regard for the current Commission Chairman David Austin, nor the mayor of Dallas, Boyd Austin. These two need to get booted out of office.

I am strongly opposed to jet traffic flying into Paulding County. When I moved out here nearly 25 years ago, I wanted peace and tranquility. It looks like my tranquility is Gone With The Wind!

Further, for Chairman Austin to keep the district commissioner Todd out of the loop on this airport is just dirty politics, especially since the airport is in Todd's district. Dirty David Austin and his cronies pulled a fast one (again).

• Like 3

Brent Sparks who is not on the Airport Authority and was the organizer of the Airshow was in Hong Kong because as a pilot it is his job to fly planes there and does so several times a month. Mayors Austin and Devey were at municipal meetings outside the county and Carolyn Wright of the chamber has been sick for over a week. She was not in the office Monday, Tuesday or today.

Let me say first I have complained about the lack of good jobs in Paulding County for about 15 years. I was totally and absolutely opposed to Jerry Shearin and his administration for putting all their efforts into developing PRD's.

Jamie I hope you have influence on the local officials to show them they are looking like Boss Hog and his administration.

Yes we need good jobs, yes we need a tax base that is not dependent on houses, yes we need to all put our best foot forward to encourage economic development here. However I hope visitors do not view the Atlanta news stations where we look like the Dukes of Hazard today.

Let me say first I have complained about the lack of good jobs in Paulding County for about 15 years. I was totally and absolutely opposed to Jerry Shearin and his administration for putting all their efforts into developing PRD's.

Jamie I hope you have influence on the local officials to show them they are looking like Boss Hog and his administration.

Yes we need good jobs, yes we need a tax base that is not dependent on houses, yes we need to all put our best foot forward to encourage economic development here. However I hope visitors do not view the Atlanta news stations where we look like the Dukes of Hazard today.

You are right some things could have been said so much differently.

Instead of saying we could do this without public input, they could have said that this company was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The reason they ask for this level of secrecy seemed valid to us, so we exercised the option that was available to us in not seeking public input or approval.

Politics is a very rough game, there is no way to come out of it not being on the defensive. It does not stop on election day, it never stops. It is important to realize that not everyone is after you and to speak to those people. Everyone is not following that closely they only know what they see on the major news networks.

I have been following so I know who the players are and what goes on. It's politics period.

Yep, what do you expect when one of the "boys" even dressed up as Boss Hogg.... Lol!!

You are right some things could have been said so much differently.

Instead of saying we could do this without public input, they could have said that this company was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The reason they ask for this level of secrecy seemed valid to us, so we exercised the option that was available to us in not seeking public input or approval...

David Austin would look so much better right now if he had fielded questions to you instead of Blake.

We're on the projectory to being Clayton Co. 2.0 based on our housing stock, airport expansion seals the deal as far as I am concerned....

Someone on here made that statement a few years back when Sherrin and his gang were stripping the county of any potential commercial property.