Paulding.com

Pink Gun idea getting some traction :)

I'll admit it was with tongue and cheek, but I started talking about a rule that would require all civilian guns be 'pink' on before Jan. 22nd. I remember the date because a friend of mine came up at the Commission Meeting wanting to go into business partnering in a pink paint factory.

But apparently someone who visited either Pcom or the other place where I made the suggestion - the TOK on gun control - thought it a good enough idea to put up a petition on the President's We the People petition site.

They did this on Jan. 29th and the petition has already passed 1000 votes and is only 98,968 votes away from forcing a reply from the Obama Administration.

The petitioner, to his credit, framed the issue adroitly saying:

we petition the Obama administration to:

Require that all Civilian Firearms be Painted Pink

Regulation of specific types of guns may be well- intentioned, but until we confront the underlying psychological and social issues that feed the violence, these laws will have little effect. The fact is that in America, guns have become potent cultural symbols of machismo, masculinity and power.

Therefore, we propose that every civilian firearm in America be painted a shade of bright pink over no less than 90% of their exposed surface areas.

We believe this simple act will fundamentally change the dynamic of American gun culture while still passing Constitutional scrutiny. All will be free to legally buy guns-just so long as they are Fabulous.

My question to you folks is since this petitioner forgot to include the other key 'ingredient' of my plan - a distinctive odor - stinking - should I go and start a complimentary petition?

pubby

PS: This has the potential of providing a little levity to the debate, don't you think:)

PPS: The link is above in the statement about the petition but here is an alternate link: CLICK HERE

When I read your first thread, I was definitely under the impression that it was tongue and cheek, and just rolled my eyes, and kept on moving. Now that I see there is a petition out there, a legit one at that, the only thing that comes to mind is utter absurdity.

If in some delusional world this thing were to actually pass, how would one ensure that all existing gun owners would comply to having their gun painted pink? That's next to impossible. Also, what most people that aren't knowledgeable about guns don't know is that many come with a Teflon coating and cannot be painted. It also would not be very practical for hunting purposes, as many hunting firearms are preferred to be camouflage. And how are we to differentiate from a child's toy gun if all firearms are to be painted pink?

And I can't help but feel that this idea, to me anyway, seems somewhat derogatory towards any gun owner. I mean let's just go ahead and give a scarlet letter to anyone that owns a gun.

:huh:

Edited by NinaBritt
  • Like 3

When I read your first thread, I was definitely under the impression that it was tongue and cheek, and just rolled my eyes, and kept on moving. Now that I see there is a petition out there, a legit one at that, the only thing that comes to mind is utter absurdity.

If in some delusional world this thing were to actually pass, how would one ensure that all existing gun owners would comply to having their gun painted pink? That's next to impossible. Also, what most people that aren't knowledgeable about guns don't know is that many come with a Teflon coating and cannot be painted. It also would not be very practical for hunting purposes, as many hunting firearms are preferred to be camouflage. And how are we to differentiate from a child's toy gun if all firearms are to be painted pink?

And I can't help but feel that this idea, to me anyway, seems somewhat derogatory towards any gun owner. I mean let's just go ahead and give a scarlet letter to anyone that owns a gun.

:huh:

Actually, tongue in cheek, my original plan exempted bolt-action hunting rifles and applied only to semi-automatic rifles with non-natural wood stocks in traditional configurations. It applied primarily to hand guns, frankly.

Exchanges (you trade in and buy a new gun) or just keep it in your house.

The way that the law is enforced is that if you have the pink gun (concealed or carried) law officers are given the presumption you are okay whereas if you pull out your gun-metal gray 45, LEO is permitted to shoot first and ask questions later because the presumption is the gun is illegal, you're illegal and I better shoot first.

All stand your ground laws, etc. would apply only for folks with pink guns and all sorts of sanctions if you're a presumed criminal with a non-pink gun.

If you kept your classic gun-metal gray gun in your home solely for self protection and it wasn't involved in a shooting, no one is coming after it in your home.

Over time, with buy back programs, etc. traditional guns would be gone.

Guns would cease to be a fashion statement.

The stink would be something added through the ammunition.

The real purpose is to throw some other ideas into the mix.

pubby

PS: None other than Henry Ford promised you could have any color Model T as long as it was black. For most of the 20th Century, the Model T was the most popular car built - more of them than any other model.

Thought I'd see how the 'petition' was going ...

Well signatures have doubled but it is no where near the required 100,000 signatures ... in fact is some 97,810 signatures short. I think it would 'fun' to see it get answered but I doubt that will happen.

Maybe I need to add the 'stink' to the pink and petition on that.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/require-all-civilian-firearms-be-painted-pink/YfFtRGVL?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

pubby

Guess I will be breaking the law, if that comes to be the law. :diablo: I am a girl and I HATE PINK.. Why in the world would anyone want a pink gun. Yuck.... :bad:

Protection, home defense ... for those purposes what difference does it make what color the gun is?

I wouldn't think you'd want a gun because it is a macho fashion statement or it went with your olive drab coveralls.

The idea of a pink gun is that it would be instantly identifiable as a weapon carried by a person in compliance with the law. Compliance with the law suggests one is law-abiding and no one would carry a pink gun without a specific reason.

Carrying guns of other colors (except for hunting rifles) would say the person has no respect for the law and that would make them suspect with law enforcement. Because carrying a 'non-compliant' weapon suggests contempt for the law in general, both the police and those citizens with pink guns would have lower liability if they shoot first in confrontations with someone carrying a non-pink weapon.

Now if you hate pink and refuse to carry a pink pistol if this were the law and still longed for self protection, you could pack a tazer, pepper spray or bowie knife in any color you wish.

pubby

Protection, home defense ... for those purposes what difference does it make what color the gun is?

I wouldn't think you'd want a gun because it is a macho fashion statement or it went with your olive drab coveralls.

The idea of a pink gun is that it would be instantly identifiable as a weapon carried by a person in compliance with the law. Compliance with the law suggests one is law-abiding and no one would carry a pink gun without a specific reason. Carrying guns of other colors (except for hunting rifles) would say the person has no respect for the law and that would make them suspect with law enforcement. Because carrying a 'non-compliant' weapon suggests contempt for the law in general, both the police and those citizens with pink guns would have lower liability if they shoot first in confrontations with someone carrying a non-pink weapon.

Now if you hate pink and refuse to carry a pink pistol if this were the law and still longed for self protection, you could pack a tazer, pepper spray or bowie knife in any color you wish.

pubby

Pubby, you have brought me over to your side!

I am all for the pink gun program.

It just makes sense, it tells everyone who you are and what you are and that you are legal.

I love the idea!

In fact, I love it so much that I can see where we can use a similar system for other things.

Perhaps having someone who commits adultry could were a scarlet A on their clothes?

I got it, if you are convicted of rape, you get a black R branded on your forehead!

Those who receive goverment assistance would have to wear a scarlet W.

This is great!

Give me my pink gun as soon as we start branding those convicted of crimes or those who I support with my money.

• Like 1

You got it all wrong stradial ...

Do you think a pink bushmaster with a 100 round magazine will shoot any less straight if it is pink? the color of a gun doesn't change anything about the person or the gun; it is as deadly in hot pink as it is in gun metal gray.

And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the medieval idea of torturing someone by branding them with a Big A on their forehead. And you probably know as well as I that those who are okay committing adultery communicate just as well with a tanned hand with the lite-skinned ring on their left hand. Subtlety, my friend and certainly not barbaric.

But guns, and especially big-assed bushmasters with 100-round magazines are the exact opposite of subtle.

Now I'm sure that little .25 cal. Baretta stuck in a back pocket could be nickel plated; or it could be pink but it isn't going to show anyway. But when it is pulled from the pocket or purse, it will still proclaim whether it is hot pink or just 'hot' (as in illegal.)

If you're pulling it for the right reasons - i.e. self protection - you won't give a damn. You just want it to do its job and it wouldn't make any difference what color it is.

But if you're pulling it because you're trying to intimidate someone by showing how macho you are, then I hope don't shoot when people start laughing at you. I mean, the whole purpose of the pink gun is to make those folks who pull a gun for the wrong reasons to look so laughably stupid that they just won't do it.

More than that, if you have a pink .25 and someone pulls a nickel plated one on you, you get protections like 'stand your ground' would give ... bang bang.

See, STradial, I figure that gun crime will go down because no one wants to pull a pink gun ... and if you pull any other color gun, it is like saying hunting season is open and you are the target.

pubby

Papi wants to buy me a gun to keep in my desk.

He was looking at a Pink one, but I think I'd prefer a black one.

I love my pink guns because when we go to the range, people think I'm some girlie girl, which I'm not. Then I take them out and can shoot better than most men there. I can consistently hit a tennis ball at 100 yards with my pink SKS with the original iron sights. Their tunes change pretty quickly. I also have a custom pink paisley rifle case, I couldn't bring myself to put my pink 10/22 in a camo bag!

Lesson here: Don't judge a gal by the color of her guns.

You got it all wrong stradial ...

Do you think a pink bushmaster with a 100 round magazine will shoot any less straight if it is pink? the color of a gun doesn't change anything about the person or the gun; it is as deadly in hot pink as it is in gun metal gray.

And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the medieval idea of torturing someone by branding them with a Big A on their forehead. And you probably know as well as I that those who are okay committing adultery communicate just as well with a tanned hand with the lite-skinned ring on their left hand. Subtlety, my friend and certainly not barbaric.

But guns, and especially big-assed bushmasters with 100-round magazines are the exact opposite of subtle.

Now I'm sure that little .25 cal. Baretta stuck in a back pocket could be nickel plated; or it could be pink but it isn't going to show anyway. But when it is pulled from the pocket or purse, it will still proclaim whether it is hot pink or just 'hot' (as in illegal.)

If you're pulling it for the right reasons - i.e. self protection - you won't give a damn. You just want it to do its job and it wouldn't make any difference what color it is.

But if you're pulling it because you're trying to intimidate someone by showing how macho you are, then I hope don't shoot when people start laughing at you. I mean, the whole purpose of the pink gun is to make those folks who pull a gun for the wrong reasons to look so laughably stupid that they just won't do it.

More than that, if you have a pink .25 and someone pulls a nickel plated one on you, you get protections like 'stand your ground' would give ... bang bang.

See, STradial, I figure that gun crime will go down because no one wants to pull a pink gun ... and if you pull any other color gun, it is like saying hunting season is open and you are the target.

pubby

How long do you have to stay on the "Stupid" Meds they put you on?? This is so far out.....,Wow!!!!!

Here is a SAD story ....................

My link

Pink, yellow, purple or orange, why did this child have access to a loaded gun? All of our guns, including the pink ones, are locked in the fireproof gun safe. That's just irresponsible regardless of the color of the gun.

And it is a SAD story, but the adults in this situation need to be slapped.

Pink, yellow, purple or orange, why did this child have access to a loaded gun? All of our guns, including the pink ones, are locked in the fireproof gun safe. That's just irresponsible regardless of the color of the gun.

And it is a SAD story, but the adults in this situation need to be slapped.

I know what you mean but, it happens and some parents aren't as cautious as they should be. I think the parents should be charged with something, though!!! They need to be held accountable for their lack of being a responsible parent.