Paulding.com

SO, I GOT MY BILL CARRUTH FLYER IN THE MAIL......

I have to say I'm pulling for our Bill (carruth) and not the other Bill (Heath).

I haven't had much respect for Heath since his slanderous mailer 'Sex shops in Dallas.' Anyone who stoops so low as that, to lie like that, can't be trusted.

pubby

Check out this link in our directory :)

http://www.paulding.com/directory/dir.php?mem=billcarruthdir&num=45593&sky=45593

I just call from a market research firm asking who I would vote for between Austin and Crowe. I told the woman I'd vote for Satan before I'd vote for Austin. That ended the call there.. Hehe.. :wacko:

I hate these kind of calls, once I have an idea of who paid for the call, I give all kind of crazy responses.

• Like 1

I don't care for Bill Heath either but let us not forget Bill Carruth as our Paulding County commissioner. He is a crooked, arrogant, pompous, #$%! He is the ringleader of the "Paulding County good ole boys" network. I'm not sure who was worse....Bill Carruth or Jerry Shearin. I will have to think long and hard on this one. I just don't see myself voting for Bill Carruth after some of the conversations I had with him. JMHO :pardon:

• Like 5

I don't care for Bill Heath either but let us not forget Bill Carruth as our Paulding County commissioner. He is a crooked, arrogant, pompous, #$%! He is the ringleader of the "Paulding County good ole boys" network. I'm not sure who was worse....Bill Carruth or Jerry Shearin. I will have to think long and hard on this one. I just don't see myself voting for Bill Carruth after some of the conversations I had with him. JMHO :pardon:

Several old timers that have been around a lot longer than I said the same thing about Carruth. When is going to have a public speech and answer questions?

With both Pubby and JJ supporting him I will have to think long and hard. Two liberals don't make a right.

• Like 4

Several old timers that have been around a lot longer than I said the same thing about Carruth. When is going to have a public speech and answer questions?

With both Pubby and JJ supporting him I will have to think long and hard. Two liberals don't make a right.

Assumption on your part. I never said I supported Carruth, I said "I have no use for Heath."

• Like 1

:clapping: :drinks: :yahoo:

It would be nice to have candidates that were worth voting for.

Can you even imagine having 2 candidates that were so good it was hard to choose between them?

:rofl:

Never gonna happen, but that would be great!

As far as I'm concerned, once you have a road named after you - you're out to pasture. I won't vote for Carruth (I call the road Bill Corrupt most of the time). Don't know much about the other canidate. But, withholding a vote is an option for me.

• Like 1

Got rich off us and still getting rich. You know he owns Aiken paving construction.

Never would I vote for him. We need someone else to run.

He married an Aiken. I live on Paul Aiken Road, his McMansion is just down the road.

Sometime look on GOOGLE EARTH at his property. He has a lake behind his house that is aqua. Aqua means it is filled with sand. Wonder who paid for all that sand?

He married an Aiken. I live on Paul Aiken Road, his McMansion is just down the road.

Sometime look on GOOGLE EARTH at his property. He has a lake behind his house that is aqua. Aqua means it is filled with sand. Wonder who paid for all that sand?

Interesting.

A side question here.....I heard that Aiken was out of business, is that true?

Got rich off us and still getting rich. You know he owns Aiken paving construction.

Never would I vote for him. We need someone else to run.

Aiken Construction was sold to Plateau over a year ago.

• Like 1

It would be nice to have candidates that were worth voting for.

Can you even imagine having 2 candidates that were so good it was hard to choose between them?

No kidding. The last time I voted FOR a candidate was Ronald Reagan. Every other vote was trying to pick the lesser of the two evils.

When David Austin was running last time, he and I had a long conversation about the general "trashiness" on E. Paulding Dr. from 120 to the High School. One of the things he promised me was that he was going to insist that property owners be required to clean up that entry way corridor into our county. What a great impression all those unmowed lawns, unfinished buildings, redneck pick-um-up trucks parked on what used to be a lawn etc. gives to a prospective resident. That stretch on E Paulding from the Day Care place to Hwy 92 is just plain disgusting. :wacko:

I'm disappointed in Austin, but at that time, ANYBODY was going to be better than what we had. That same situation may be re-occurring.

I've visited with Mr. Carruth several times. He sold Aiken grading a couple of years ago.

I'm told he doesn't have an interest in the property on egg farm and when I was helping Mike Pope in his run for Chairman in 2000, Mike was asserting that he was responsible for the choice of where the West Hiram Parkway went and felt kind of slighted that it wasn't named after him ... as he was a post commissioner at the time.

I have no doubt that Mr. Carruth was in the right place at the right time to make a lot of money as the county grew.

One thing I do know, and this was early on in his carreer, both he and Mike Pope stood up against the commission chairman at the time who was accused of forcing home inspection/occupancy approvals over the objections of the inspectors. It was a rather dramatic day - one of the most dramatic commission meetings in my memory - when Carruth and Pope introduced a motion to have the Sheriff (Bruce Harris) impound the home inspection documents for further investigation. There were several instances when he and Pope were required to stand up to counter the abuse of power that hinted of activities from bid rigging to extortion.

If you look at the record you'd see that Carruth followed as the commission chairman and vastly reformed county government ... and expanded it ... with emphasis on hiring competent people in roles from planning to the DOT to parks, human resources, water/sewer etc. This improvement in the quality of the county department heads was absolutely responsible for even more growth ... because frankly companies like Cousins properties, etc. would never have considered developments in the county with the non-credentialed staff that was the rule in Paulding prior to his administration.

I mean the county road dept. had indictments and convictions for jacklegs associated with the county using graders for personal work as late as 1987-88. Our high sheriff, who ran on a reform Republican platform in 1988, ended up convicted of child molestation by 1996. The commission chairman elected in 1992 was an embarrassment on many levels. It was this kind of rural, laid-back, that's the way granddaddy did it so its good enough for me style of head in the sand government Paulding had.

It was into this mess that his started his administration. By the end of the term the county was well on its way to having the competent, credentialed, even in some areas superlative local government we have today.

Few remember, for instance, that at the end of every term, the county was not only broke but had to borrow money for the new chairman to operate the county. Yep, the outgoing chairman would spend the county into the hole in punishment to the next guy (who likely beat him out of office in the last election.)

That kind of absurd stupidity stopped with Bill Carruth.

Do remember that I've been looking rather closely at county government here since 1989.

Can I say that his administration was perfect? No, But any honest assessment of his years on the commission would, in my opinion, be marked by great progress. The organizational and human resource improvements were truly superior and the legacy for which he should be remembered in the county.

pubby

FRANKLY this post should be on the political blogs but I can see why it isn't since certain influential controlling persons support his candidacy and being on Internet Cafe gives Carruth more exposure. Think about it. Fair is fair and right is right (and not left).

And for those that don't like Heath please explain so we will know what you know so as to help us decide whom to vote.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed in Austin, but at that time, ANYBODY was going to be better than what we had. That same situation may be re-occurring.

Megadittos on this. I'm voting for Crowe (as it stands now). Don't know who I'll vote for in the Heath/Carruth contest. Prolly not vote like JTH. :sigh:

When David Austin was running last time, he and I had a long conversation about the general "trashiness" on E. Paulding Dr. from 120 to the High School. One of the things he promised me was that he was going to insist that property owners be required to clean up that entry way corridor into our county. What a great impression all those unmowed lawns, unfinished buildings, redneck pick-um-up trucks parked on what used to be a lawn etc. gives to a prospective resident. That stretch on E Paulding from the Day Care place to Hwy 92 is just plain disgusting.

LOL the people who gave a crap about that area left it almost 20 years back because the county voted down having a big time developer come in that side of the county and build the entire area up like Bentwater, just to flip around and talk about building housing projects behind Citizen's Square or somewhere thereabouts.

The scuttlebutt around that time was, nobody of any account in the county owned enough land in that area to make it attractive for them to want to raise land values there. And that they were cutting off their nose to spite their face. Frankly I think it was all a pissing contest in which we the county lost out on a lot. And so, many folks who put down roots in that area pulled up their stakes and went on somewhere else.

True Story.

FRANKLY this post should be on the political blogs but I can see why it isn't since certain influential controlling persons support his candidacy and being on Internet Cafe gives Carruth more exposure. Think about it. Fair is fair and right is right (and not left).

And for those that don't like Heath please explain so we will know what you know so as to help us decide whom to vote.

Local politics has never been a 'political forum' thing. Trust me, I know, I set it up this way a looong time ago.

If the mods notice, they might move it to county wide news but it would still not be in the politics forum.

pubby

No kidding. The last time I voted FOR a candidate was Ronald Reagan. Every other vote was trying to pick the lesser of the two evils.

When David Austin was running last time, he and I had a long conversation about the general "trashiness" on E. Paulding Dr. from 120 to the High School. One of the things he promised me was that he was going to insist that property owners be required to clean up that entry way corridor into our county. What a great impression all those unmowed lawns, unfinished buildings, redneck pick-um-up trucks parked on what used to be a lawn etc. gives to a prospective resident. That stretch on E Paulding from the Day Care place to Hwy 92 is just plain disgusting. :wacko:

I am disappointed that you think that one man could make people clean up their own private property....REALLY? Maybe you should familarize yourself with the Paulding County Code of Ordinance.

Mr. Austin has done a great job since he has came into office considering the County Budget was in serious distress with revenues being at their all time lowest and trying to balance the budget while keeping the level of services for the citizens where they are at.

You REALLY want to base your opinion of a candidate on a road being trashy because the residents are to lazy to keep their yards clean and grass cut....you MUST look deeper than that when it comes to choosing who manages the business of the County.

I am disappointed that you think that one man could make people clean up their own private property....REALLY? Maybe you should familarize yourself with the Paulding County Code of Ordinance.

Mr. Austin has done a great job since he has came into office considering the County Budget was in serious distress with revenues being at their all time lowest and trying to balance the budget while keeping the level of services for the citizens where they are at.

You REALLY want to base your opinion of a candidate on a road being trashy because the residents are to lazy to keep their yards clean and grass cut....you MUST look deeper than that when it comes to choosing who manages the business of the County.

I would agree, except for that little detail where allegedly David told him he would do something about it.

I still think David Austin is a breath of fresh air over his predecessor. And Tony Crow would have to really impress me with something to change my mind.

I would agree, except for that little detail where allegedly David told him he would do something about it.

I still think David Austin is a breath of fresh air over his predecessor. And Tony Crow would have to really impress me with something to change my mind.

I don't know that E. Paulding Dr. can be cut by anyone other than home owners.

However, I know that Todd Pownall, David Austin, and others (who were recruited) took their personal tractors and cut medians of our major roads, and areas that businesses no longer cut - since their doors had shut due to the economy. (This was at the height of the funding crunch. )

They spent their own time on the weekends to make our roads look manicured. :wub:

It was very noticeable as you went into Cobb from Paulding, that Cobb had no funding, nor did they have concerned citizens who took their own personal time, fuel, and farm equipment to make their community look better.

We are lucky we are rural and many here own tractors. :drinks:

It is one of the reasons we had better snow removal in winter 2010 Jan/Feb2011. Many tractors were used for snow removal. Our roads were open but Atlanta and Cobb were still a mess! :good:

So I guess it's on.

I threw mine in the trash! :yahoo:

I have no use for Heath.

If I get any of his it'll go straight in the trash too :yahoo:

I'm so glad I got my home phone shut off and went with only cell phone. My landline used to be swamped with political calls. Now I just get tons of flyer crap in my mailbox.

And sending another $500,000+ to the lawyers to keep delaying our day in court. Shearin spent $705,000 in 4 years. Austing has spent another $500,000+ in 3 years. Don't see much difference there.

Not to mention the oath to uphold the constitution and laws of the State of Georgia. The Judge found the Board of Commissioners and their attorneys to have violated the Georgia Anti-Slapp Statute, O.C,G.A. 9.11.11.1, and ruled they had to pay our attorneys fees as a result.

So instead, they appealed the ruling from Judge Beavers, and have spent another $100,000 plus on the appeal, still denying us our 1st Amendment RIGHT to seek redress against the government in court for doing us wrong.

I was a big Austin supporter, as well as David Barnett, Tommie Graham, and Todd Pownall. I never asked for any "Quid pro Quo", only that they do the right thing and either settle with us or let it go on into the courtroom.

So they spend another $500,000+ to keep delaying any Justice we might get....assuming we live long enough. I think 6+ years is a bit much, not to mention this case could have been settled for giving us back the land they let the developer steal and the buffers. Instead, they throw away $1.25+MILLION dollars, not including what they have paid the country attorney from Richardson's office, who is in on and offers his paid opinion on every move they make.

No, I am afraid David Austin burned it with us. He and Tommie Graham also lied to us when he told us several months after taking office that they wanted to settle but the other commissioners refused to UNTIL THE JUDGE RULED.

Well the Judge ruled July 6, 2011 and we are no closer to a settlement now than we were in the beginning.

How do you tell if a politician is lying ? See if his lips are moving.ninja.gif

• Like 1

May I point you to a discussion on PCom almost exactly 4 years ago on this same general topic?

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php/topic/153084-empty-homes-for-sale-unkept-yards-their-homes/

David Austin promised me that he would make the Marshal's office proactive in code enforcement. There is an unsightly premises ordinance that obviously isn't being enforced anywhere along E. Paulding Dr. from 120 all the way to Mt. Tabor Church Rd.

I'd point out that the preservation of property values by enforcing the code of ordinances is pretty well connected with the financial aspects of managing the county. Vacant, or slum-like properties don't tend to generate much in the way of tax revenue. If I recall correctly, tax assessments are based on resale prices and/or fair market appraisals. Property prices will continue downward until the price attracts those who don't mind living in slum conditions. The assessments follow in that downward trend, and therefore the County revenue drops. Or the millage rate increases to compensate, charging those of us who maintain our properties more tax dollars, effectively subsidising the suburban slums.

Interesting.

A side question here.....I heard that Aiken was out of business, is that true?

Yes. They are out of business....didnt take long, did it?

I'll bet Thomas is ROLLING over right about now!

May I point you to a discussion on PCom almost exactly 4 years ago on this same general topic?

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php/topic/153084-empty-homes-for-sale-unkept-yards-their-homes/

David Austin promised me that he would make the Marshal's office proactive in code enforcement. There is an unsightly premises ordinance that obviously isn't being enforced anywhere along E. Paulding Dr. from 120 all the way to Mt. Tabor Church Rd.

I'd point out that the preservation of property values by enforcing the code of ordinances is pretty well connected with the financial aspects of managing the county. Vacant, or slum-like properties don't tend to generate much in the way of tax revenue. If I recall correctly, tax assessments are based on resale prices and/or fair market appraisals. Property prices will continue downward until the price attracts those who don't mind living in slum conditions. The assessments follow in that downward trend, and therefore the County revenue drops. Or the millage rate increases to compensate, charging those of us who maintain our properties more tax dollars, effectively subsidising the suburban slums.

Call the Marshalls office and find out what their case load is on houses with tall grass and what the penalty is for violation. Also call and make a complaint on the propertys that you are referring to. If they are in violation of the ordiance, I bet they will be issued a ciation.

Remember Government cant make the world a better place and solve all the problems....

And sending another $500,000+ to the lawyers to keep delaying our day in court. Shearin spent $705,000 in 4 years. Austing has spent another $500,000+ in 3 years. Don't see much difference there.

Not to mention the oath to uphold the constitution and laws of the State of Georgia. The Judge found the Board of Commissioners and their attorneys to have violated the Georgia Anti-Slapp Statute, O.C,G.A. 9.11.11.1, and ruled they had to pay our attorneys fees as a result.

So instead, they appealed the ruling from Judge Beavers, and have spent another $100,000 plus on the appeal, still denying us our 1st Amendment RIGHT to seek redress against the government in court for doing us wrong.

I was a big Austin supporter, as well as David Barnett, Tommie Graham, and Todd Pownall. I never asked for any "Quid pro Quo", only that they do the right thing and either settle with us or let it go on into the courtroom.

So they spend another $500,000+ to keep delaying any Justice we might get....assuming we live long enough. I think 6+ years is a bit much, not to mention this case could have been settled for giving us back the land they let the developer steal and the buffers. Instead, they throw away $1.25+MILLION dollars, not including what they have paid the country attorney from Richardson's office, who is in on and offers his paid opinion on every move they make.

No, I am afraid David Austin burned it with us. He and Tommie Graham also lied to us when he told us several months after taking office that they wanted to settle but the other commissioners refused to UNTIL THE JUDGE RULED.

Well the Judge ruled July 6, 2011 and we are no closer to a settlement now than we were in the beginning.

How do you tell if a politician is lying ? See if his lips are moving.ninja.gif

We know...We know....you remind us ALL the time.

Only commenting as to the other poster's comment on how hamstrung Austin is with the county budget money, yet he, and THEY keep spending more and more trying to prevent us from getting inside a courtroom with the actual facts of the case.

After 6 freaking years of litigation isn't it time to let a jury hear the cases ?

Or just have the county keep paying Holland & Knight, and having the PAC donate money back to Paulding politicians ? OUR tax money going to H&K, and then back to our local politicans ? Although I am certain that MUST just be a coincidence........ninja.gif

Only commenting as to the other poster's comment on how hamstrung Austin is with the county budget money, yet he, and THEY keep spending more and more trying to prevent us from getting inside a courtroom with the actual facts of the case.

After 6 freaking years of litigation isn't it time to let a jury hear the cases ?

Or just have the county keep paying Holland & Knight, and having the PAC donate money back to Paulding politicians ? OUR tax money going to H&K, and then back to our local politicans ? Although I am certain that MUST just be a coincidence........ninja.gif

Can you foreclose on the county? To bad you can't garnish the county treasury. Can you take it to the state for settlement? Put a lien on the courthouse. Get channel 5 out here with cameras.

Can you foreclose on the county? To bad you can't garnish the county treasury. Can you take it to the state for settlement? Put a lien on the courthouse. Get channel 5 out here with cameras.

Even though we were promised they would sit down and work out a settlement with us after the Judge ruled, instead they spent another $100,000 and appealed the rulings.

The oral arguments on the appeal were on January 10th, and we are awaiting their ruling.

No where else we can turn, and the Atlanta Media Darlings refuse to touch it. Since it does involve Richardson's law firm, we thought Dale Russell with Fox5 would pick up on it as a follow up to his week long story on Richardson's Divorce several years ago, but he has never replied to any correspondence.

Got an inside track with any of the Media ?