Paulding.com

Boot out the current School Board

I think until they get rid of the good ole boys network going on in Paulding County this mess will continue on it's current path. How do you go into such debt in such a short amount of time? You can blame it on the recession but not all counties are in this position. Look at Douglas County, they're hiring teachers. I know for a fact because two of our teachers just got hired on there!

In a nutshell, the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and the political puppets.

The puppets were elected with wads and wads of RBMD money. Those downtown went hard to work, and got new laws put into place making it virtually impossible for a local government to make the RBMDs pay for the infrastructure needed to go with their High Denisity Housing Developments [can you say PRD] which came about because the puppets changed the state zoning laws as well.

And the puppets changed the banking laws, making it easy for local upstart banks to be created to loan money to the various strawment and property churners [that's where Developer "A" buys 200 acres for $10,000 an acre with an 80% loan from one of his local buddies in the new bank. Then they sell the property to Developer "B" for $20,000 an acre and gets an 80% loan from the bank across the street. Several months later Developer "C-D" buys the property for $30,000 an acre, gets his loan from the other new bank down the road and splits part of the land back with Developer "A".

Now they have the cash on hand to do the zoning, sewer lines, pavement, etc.

But the tax payers are stuck with building the schools, taking over the roads, fire and police, parks, and other infrastructure.

Almost 5 years ago they had a big "To-Do" about getting a $500 per house donation from each developer. 1 PRD paid for a re-zoned Phase I, for 180+ houses and that is the only money ever collected.

During this same time the past 12-15 years the land best suited for industrial/business parks, with 278 access and rail access got zoned for PRDs and houses. Any industry that wanted to come here was shunned. We only wanted housing, housing and housing, and the accompanying retail and service trade.

So with an 85% to 90% residential tax base we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We have little viable industrial land left. We have no high paying local jobs to speak of. And to add insult to injury, the school Bond you mention was defeated the first time. The RBMDs stepped up to the plate and made a pile of money available to a Political Action Committee to get the Bond passed no matter what. And it did.

Add to this King Jerry's grandiose plans for the new Administration and Courthouse complex....the Taj Mahal. Just to make sure, the puppets had a resolution passed downtown giving the BOC extra authority to build the buildings with a bond that did not have to pass a referendum. When confronted with the pending first payments for this bond, King Jerry pretended not to know anything about it [the BOC would have had to have 3 meetings with the voters after announcing the tax increase to pay the bond] so King Jerry and company paid the first years interest out of the operation fund. It was an election year afterall and they certainly did not want to have to attend meetings announcing a huge increase in the percentage of our bond payments].

The money we had in surplus all got used, and we are not sucking hind tit because we only have a residential tax base with most of our workers leaving the county to go to work, and to shop, thus lowering the sales tax income.

Vicious circle isn't it.

Remember this story when looking at some of our candidates for Post 2 Commissioner and the District 19 Legislative Seat downtown, and where they were, who they worked for, and who they were partners with when all of the above went down. Remember who pushed for the 2nd School Bond Vote, and who actively got out there and supported saddling the homeowner taxpayers with more debt so the RBMDs went out on the cheap.

My favorite slogan in that bond referendum was how the RBMDs had no problem paying $5000 for a sewer tap, but refused to pay a nickel for the schools.....becasue they did not HAVE to by state law.

Surepip!!!

I am REALLY liking your "Stress relief" and the wittle chicky in it!

laugh.gif

This is off topic but I would like to thank him too. I have sent that little feller to so many family members and friends who needed some stress relief. They loved him!biggrin.gif

Does anyone remeber the website that list all of the Board of Education Salaries? Did it list the big guys salaries as well? Maybe they need to take a cut in their salaries until the economy starts looking up. They are cutting teachers and children, what about themselves?

Surepip!!!

I am REALLY liking your "Stress relief" and the wittle chicky in it!

:lol:

I click on it several times a day just to get a chuckle. And it works. I can see where you might find it enlightening as well.drinks.gif

Does anyone remeber the website that list all of the Board of Education Salaries? Did it list the big guys salaries as well? Maybe they need to take a cut in their salaries until the economy starts looking up. They are cutting teachers and children, what about themselves?

The 7 members of the Board of Education make approximately $4000/yr. How much of that do you want to cut?

The 7 members of the Board of Education make approximately $4000/yr. How much of that do you want to cut?

Not much for what they have to contend with. I have asked $1,000 worth of questions all by myself. It is a good thing we don't have to pay them by the hour.unsure.gif

Your VOTE is your voice. The current School Board will not listen to the parents, so we need to vote out ALL incumbents running for the school board. From the ridiculous calendar to raising of YOUR taxes, firing 1st year teachers to make up for their gross mismanagement of the budget and so forth. I've had enough.

Many school teachers are sick of the current administration. The Board needs to be booted out!

Boot 'em out!

And now there are no middle school sports..... but we have shiny new buidings.

And now there are no middle school sports..... but we have shiny new buidings.

I bet some of them are crying tonight and I know they have heavy hearts. I have said before that hind sight is always 20/20. Times have changed for us and for them.sad.gif

The schools may have been too small but the buildings were needed to have a place for the students to attend class.

It is a bad time for education but if you want to blame someone, start with the Governor and state legislature and some of their decisions. I am hearing complaints about our school board members but if I understand it correctly, they are acting on recommendations from Cliff Cole. Also, are they responsible for all the cuts in DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb and other counties.

BTW, Cliff Cole may be doing what he can do to help the situation. We may not know any difference for another year or two.

It is a combination of the poor economy, inadequate state support and not planning for the future.

Reckless spending in times of prosperity lead to this. The BOC should have stopped the building. The BOE should have spent its dollars more wisely. Government never does anything right yet each year people believe that the government has all the right answers. The truth is, government never has the right answers. The only good politicians always says no.

If we had not had the bond forced down our throats after first voting it down then had the BOE pass a new tax increase on top of it, the people of this county may have been willing to accept a tax increase in these desperate times. Now they increased our taxes, passed a bond and are still short. The entire board and those in higher office at the board are responsible for this disaster. If even one had said NO when times were good and actually decided to save a penny we may not be here.

Government functions on the idea that if I don't spend every dollar I was budgeted this year, then next year I wont get as much. Anyone who has ever worked for a government agency has heard that. Reckless spending for the sake of spending.

• Like 3

Reckless spending in times of prosperity lead to this. The BOC should have stopped the building. The BOE should have spent its dollars more wisely. Government never does anything right yet each year people believe that the government has all the right answers. The truth is, government never has the right answers. The only good politicians always says no.

If we had not had the bond forced down our throats after first voting it down then had the BOE pass a new tax increase on top of it, the people of this county may have been willing to accept a tax increase in these desperate times. Now they increased our taxes, passed a bond and are still short. The entire board and those in higher office at the board are responsible for this disaster. If even one had said NO when times were good and actually decided to save a penny we may not be here.

Government functions on the idea that if I don't spend every dollar I was budgeted this year, then next year I wont get as much. Anyone who has ever worked for a government agency has heard that. Reckless spending for the sake of spending.

I agree. The more conservative (and obviously more intelligent) voters voted down the school bond. It wasn't passed until the BOE called in favors from Jerry Shearin and his "yes men" that were on the Board of Commissioners at that time, and they called in all the vendors that were in their pockets.

The school bond WAS forced on the tax payers by the self-serving politicians that were running this county. Thankfully, most of them have been replaced and I hear the other two commissioners have lost interest and will not be running for office in the upcoming elections. Who would have dreamed that we could have rid ourselves of that bunch this quickly?

I would look closely at the current BOE. Some of them are not the cause of the problem but are trying to straiten out the mess that was left by the previous BOE. That's like trying to turn cow crap into caviar.

By the way, keep an eye on one of those previous BOE members that didn't give a rat's @$$ about what the voters wanted because she is running for state representative. It appears that she doesn't know that she is supposed to be representing her constituents.

I agree. The more conservative (and obviously more intelligent) voters voted down the school bond. It wasn't passed until the BOE called in favors from Jerry Shearin and his "yes men" that were on the Board of Commissioners at that time, and they called in all the vendors that were in their pockets.

The school bond WAS forced on the tax payers by the self-serving politicians that were running this county. Thankfully, most of them have been replaced and I hear the other two commissioners have lost interest and will not be running for office in the upcoming elections. Who would have dreamed that we could have rid ourselves of that bunch this quickly?

I would look closely at the current BOE. Some of them are not the cause of the problem but are trying to straiten out the mess that was left by the previous BOE. That's like trying to turn cow crap into caviar.

By the way, keep an eye on one of those previous BOE members that didn't give a rat's @$$ about what the voters wanted because she is running for state representative. It appears that she doesn't know that she is supposed to be representing her constituents.

I have one question. Do we ever want anyone on the BOC who is a yes person rather than someone who thinks for themselves? I don't! I think we should look at the candidates based on merit and what they will bring to the BOC. I want them to care about and work for what is best for Paulding County and it's citizens. I don't want them to be anybody's yes man. JMO

Your VOTE is your voice. The current School Board will not listen to the parents, so we need to vote out ALL incumbents running for the school board. From the ridiculous calendar to raising of YOUR taxes, firing 1st year teachers to make up for their gross mismanagement of the budget and so forth. I've had enough.

Many school teachers are sick of the current administration. The Board needs to be booted out!

Boot 'em out!

So does that mean you are running for a school board position? I've heard those that are running are running unopposed.

No offense but if your not willing to step up and do a better job yourself you can't really complain.

It seems like some people just aren't listening to what is being said. I read in another post about someone complaining about the new airport and why didn't we use it for education. You can't use airport money for education. And then so many people are complaining about the new schools. Same thing you can't use that money for salaries. I bet if I had the energy and time to research some of these same people complaining about the new schools were the ones complaining about the condition of their school and how crowded they are just a few years ago.

Yeah, it sucks right now but it sucks for everyone right now not just those in Paulding County. And as bad as it is there are many places that have it worse.

I am really hoping we can all pull together to try and make the best of it and keep as many people as possible from losing their jobs.

I for one am proud of our board or at least of those members that have done what they can to keep us informed.

• Like 2

So does that mean you are running for a school board position? I've heard those that are running are running unopposed.

No offense but if your not willing to step up and do a better job yourself you can't really complain.

It seems like some people just aren't listening to what is being said. I read in another post about someone complaining about the new airport and why didn't we use it for education. You can't use airport money for education. And then so many people are complaining about the new schools. Same thing you can't use that money for salaries. I bet if I had the energy and time to research some of these same people complaining about the new schools were the ones complaining about the condition of their school and how crowded they are just a few years ago.

Yeah, it sucks right now but it sucks for everyone right now not just those in Paulding County. And as bad as it is there are many places that have it worse.

I am really hoping we can all pull together to try and make the best of it and keep as many people as possible from losing their jobs.

I for one am proud of our board or at least of those members that have done what they can to keep us informed.

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Cobb is right next door. Their deficit is 4 times what ours currently is. They are laying off twice as many teachers.

All the while:

City of Marietta is undergoing some beautfication with new brick inlaid crossings. AND! ::oh gasp:: Cobb is building a new courthouse, aka Taj Mahal.

(Dear folks who are paying attention: yes. I know those are from different funds. Just giving an example for those that seem not to know.)

Cobb is right next door. Their deficit is 4 times what ours currently is. They are laying off twice as many teachers.

All the while:

City of Marietta is undergoing some beautfication with new brick inlaid crossings. AND! ::oh gasp:: Cobb is building a new courthouse, aka Taj Mahal.

(Dear folks who are paying attention: yes. I know those are from different funds. Just giving an example for those that seem not to know.)

We could have done without the school bond and a few of the new school buildings. We definitely could have done without the courthouse / county government buildings. All the people in charge four years ago could see was feeding the housing market because that's where they were all making their money. I plan to try my best to keep any of those people from ever holding public office again.

We could have done without the school bond and a few of the new school buildings. We definitely could have done without the courthouse / county government buildings. All the people in charge four years ago could see was feeding the housing market because that's where they were all making their money. I plan to try my best to keep any of those people from ever holding public office again.

And it is not really much of a coincidence that the builder of the BOE Administration building, many of the schools, and the Taj Mahal Administration/Courthouse Complex was, The Facility Group.

The Facility Group donated the max amount, and apparently plus some, to virtually every major Paulding politician including Richardson, Shearin, et al.

The owner, and 2nd in command at The Facility Group are not spending some non-social time in a Federal Penetentiary after pleading guilty and plea bargaining for a political bribery case in Mississippi.

One of the principles of TFG is Earl Earnhardt, one of Glenn Richardson floor leaders and a legislator from Cobb County.

But I know, that is all just a small world sort of thing.

Thank you for that. I have seen my stars go from 5....to 4.....to 3. As I was writing earlier I had to stop and wonder if they will be headed down to 2. :)

Well, I have been quiet for all this...but I also agreed with what you said...

so maybe I need to go give you a star to help put those back...lol

• Like 1

All the while:

Did the facility group build theirs too? Just asking.

Boot em all!!!!! Aug 2nd really??? So we are trying to save money but are trying to send the kids back during the hottest month of the year....brilliant! How about while they are cutting teachers, how may of the high paid employees have been cut, or even taken a cut in pay for that matter??? I say get em out, and start over!!

The state sends the money. Unless we have a tax increase at the state level and local level, the budget has to balance. :unsure:

That is why we have these problems. They counted on money they did not yet have. They werent responsible with the money they did have. It does not matter that they were expecting more or that they have always gotten more. The fact is, they spent money before they got it. It is irresponsible and they need to go. I don't care about excuses. They betrayed the public trust and now they need to pay. It is not my fault that they acted in the manner in which they did. It is their fault. Government must be under control. This is a prime example of government out of control.

That is why we have these problems. They counted on money they did not yet have. They werent responsible with the money they did have. It does not matter that they were expecting more or that they have always gotten more. The fact is, they spent money before they got it. It is irresponsible and they need to go. I don't care about excuses. They betrayed the public trust and now they need to pay. It is not my fault that they acted in the manner in which they did. It is their fault. Government must be under control. This is a prime example of government out of control.

Please, oh please, elaborate with something other than generalities and rhetoric.

• Like 1

Please, oh please, elaborate with something other than generalities and rhetoric.

Must we go here again. We can start with the unnecessary contstruction. We can talk about failure to require builders to pay up.

We can talk about one of the higher ups asking about purchasing more land for future schools just a few months back. Thank goodness Mr. Skelton stepped in and said no but that is a prime example of govenrment thinking. Lets spend while we have it not save it, not lets be responsible with it. Now teachers and students must suffer.

Perhaps our Prinicapls and higher ups should take pay cuts to ensure that the class rooms have more money. I dont see that happening.

Maybe we can get rid of the golf carts they drive around their campuses in. They dont NEED those and we dont need to pay for the gas or electricity used to power them. Maybe we can return the boots they use to place on the cars of kids who dont have a parking pass. Maybe we can cut back on the number of administrators and spend the money on the teachers who actually deal with the kids on a day to day basis.

Maybe we could let the kids actually use the gyms that we the tax payers paid for THEM to have.

ETC. ETC. ETC...........

Must we go here again. We can start with the unnecessary contstruction. We can talk about failure to require builders to pay up.

We can talk about one of the higher ups asking about purchasing more land for future schools just a few months back. Thank goodness Mr. Skelton stepped in and said no but that is a prime example of govenrment thinking. Lets spend while we have it not save it, not lets be responsible with it. Now teachers and students must suffer.

Perhaps our Prinicapls and higher ups should take pay cuts to ensure that the class rooms have more money. I dont see that happening.

Maybe we can get rid of the golf carts they drive around their campuses in. They dont NEED those and we dont need to pay for the gas or electricity used to power them. Maybe we can return the boots they use to place on the cars of kids who dont have a parking pass. Maybe we can cut back on the number of administrators and spend the money on the teachers who actually deal with the kids on a day to day basis.

Maybe we could let the kids actually use the gyms that we the tax payers paid for THEM to have.

ETC. ETC. ETC...........

Obviously, we must go here again. The construction monies and the budget monies for teachers are not related?

Are you going to gripe about the construction or insist that they be able to use them? Budgets are being cut across the board. Why should some kids be allowed to park without a permit?

Obviously, we must go here again. The construction monies and the budget monies for teachers are not related?

Are you going to gripe about the construction or insist that they be able to use them? Budgets are being cut across the board. Why should some kids be allowed to park without a permit?

Okay, the construction was payed for by a SPLOST that was forced down our throat. They then passed a tax increase which they said they would not if we passed the SPLOST. If they had not done either of those and had just been responsible with the money they had at the time, we as the tax payers MAY have been more accomidating about a tax increase at this desperate time but they have burned those bridges. Why should we pay for their irresponsibility? We shouldnt.

The kids shouldnt be allowed to park without a permit. What ever happened to just plain old punishment. Is a boot really necessary? I mean come on. That is a lazy mans way of dealing with the issue.

So, are you going to run for one of the BOE seats that are coming up for re-election? Are YOU willing to stand up and do something about the issues? Typing a rant in a public forum does not count as doing something. Are you going to get involed? Have you attended any of the BOE meetings?

Oh, if the County only spent what they had on hand, there would still be 5 schools in the county with 100's of trailers at each one. The County and BOE tried to not spend money they didn't have but the PEOPLE demanded new schools and no trailers! So the County started building schools and now people complain they are spending money they do not have? When do they get a break?

Okay, the construction was payed for by a SPLOST that was forced down our throat. They then passed a tax increase which they said they would not if we passed the SPLOST. If they had not done either of those and had just been responsible with the money they had at the time, we as the tax payers MAY have been more accomidating about a tax increase at this desperate time but they have burned those bridges. Why should we pay for their irresponsibility? We shouldnt.

The kids shouldnt be allowed to park without a permit. What ever happened to just plain old punishment. Is a boot really necessary? I mean come on. That is a lazy mans way of dealing with the issue.

I think you may be talking about the BOND that was "Forced down our throats" not the SPLOST. Everyone had a chance to vote. If you have problems with the current BOE then why didn't you go and qualify to run. That opportunity passed the deadline last week. Those who did qualify were the only ones to step up to the plate to serve and they WILL be on the BOE for the next 4 years I believe. No opposition. Talk is cheap and if you wanted to do more than talk then you should have been on the candidate list. JMO