Paulding.com

Boot out the current School Board

Your VOTE is your voice. The current School Board will not listen to the parents, so we need to vote out ALL incumbents running for the school board. From the ridiculous calendar to raising of YOUR taxes, firing 1st year teachers to make up for their gross mismanagement of the budget and so forth. I've had enough.

Many school teachers are sick of the current administration. The Board needs to be booted out!

Boot 'em out!

Edited by J. R. Ewing
  • Like 1

Bad news for y'all:

The 3 BOE positions are all un-opposed.

The only incumbent on the BOC is Tommie Graham who has stepped up to the plate big time the past 2 years breathing a lot of fresh air into the BOC.

Powell and Kirby are not running for relection.

Your VOTE is your voice. The current School Board will not listen to the parents, so we need to vote out ALL incumbents running for the school board. From the ridiculous calendar to raising of YOUR taxes, firing 1st year teachers to make up for their gross mismanagement of the budget and so forth. I've had enough.

Many school teachers are sick of the current administration. The Board needs to be booted out!

Boot 'em out!

So what exactly have they mis-managed?

And now it's the BOE's fault for the worst recession since the 1930's?

And what makes you think that someone new has the knowledge and experience to get the job done during this historic recession?

And just about any time you talk to to any employee of any big business in rough financial times, they will always be sick of the current administration! No one's job is safe in this economy, including government employees.

Bad news for y'all:

The 3 BOE positions are all un-opposed.

The only incumbent on the BOC is Tommie Graham who has stepped up to the plate big time the past 2 years breathing a lot of fresh air into the BOC.

Powell and Kirby are not running for relection.

One incumbent on the BOE has chosen not to run. You will have a new member in that slot.

Boot 'em out!

While I will say that I no longer have children in the school district as they have gone on and received college educations and are now enjoying successful careers, (thanks to the wonderful education they received in Paulding County), I have to say that I never had a problem communicating with the School District. They always responded to any questions or concerns I had in a very timely and inteligent manner - they also did this for many others I know.

Maybe you can give us very specific examples on how they have mismanaged - I will be glad to listen to you if you will give me specifics (not just mere generalities).

The members of our school board get paid next to nothing to serve in these positions. I am of the opinion that these people are just concerned about the children of this county and making sure they receive the best education possible. They are in a "lose, lose" situation in light of the current economic climate of the United States and I would encourage anyone that thinks they can do a better job to simply run for a school board position and then report back to us and let us know how it is working out for you.

All I's should go. Periord. It amazes me how poorly PC has been run. I currently live in a much more rural county then Paulding and we don't have half the issues it does. Speaks to major mis-managment by the BOE and BOC.

What didn't they listen to the parent's about?

An example -- Let's say that due to forced budget cuts, they are thinking about cutting out Middle School Sports and/or Middle School band.

200 parents say they should cut out the sports, but keep the band.

200 parents say they should cut band, but keep sports.

200 parents say they should keep both.

and 200 parents say they should cut both.

Which parents should they listen to?

In the end, you'll have 200 parents happy and 600 parents saying the board never listens to the parents.

• Like 5

All I's should go. Periord. It amazes me how poorly PC has been run. I currently live in a much more rural county then Paulding and we don't have half the issues it does. Speaks to major mis-managment by the BOE and BOC.

Just curious MCMM but has your county In Kentucky gone through the same exceptional growth (population wise) that Paulding County has and has it been continually been in the top 10 fastest growing counties in the U. S. as Paulding has? It does make a significant difference.

Boot 'em out!

So long as you vote for a Democrat regardless of ability, heh? :rolleyes:

JR,

I don't know what specific issues there are in Paulding County Schools, as my kids are in private school, but there are many school districts in metro Atlanta facing budget shortfalls which have had to lay off staff. Fulton County laid off over 2000. I heard Cobb County laid of 580. Dekalb county has laid off staff and is proposing closing at least four schools. These budget issues are a direct result of the tax revenue shortfalls which have resulted from the economic downturn.

This poor economy has affected more than just GA's school districts. All over the country school districts are closing down schools and laying off teachers. A large percentage of property taxes across this nation remain unpaid because of people losing their jobs and foreclosures. We in Paulding County are not experiencing what much of the country is in this regards.

I have met quite a few that are running for local office.

You should find all of these folks easily accessible,I believe they are all listed in the phone book and most will have websites.

If you can not talk to them on the phone or through an email to ask them questions then you have your answer right there.

You need to have your questions ready, what is important to you?

They want and need to know what is important to you.

I think we have had more transparency the last few years with our BOE than ever before and this is a good thing.

If you have issues please attend the meetings, they are willing to listen to people that have input based on understanding the issues, not just a wish list of what you want.

I due have a little idea for cutting local gov. cost and that would be to have a monthly contest for employees to submit ideas that would cut cost, they could get recognition and something small like gift card.

I think that those folks can see the waste best from their perspective.

The truth is, with the economy the way it is everyone has to cut back, I know some miss their Starbucks, but have you are still alive with a roof and food.

Our kids will still learn without the extras, because surely as parents we can keep them motivated.

Honestly I would let every extra, sports and all go to keep our teachers working, let the kids eat P&J.

Laying off this many in our county is going to have a devastating domino effect on our local economy.

What makes you think any new people will be better then the old ones? They were new at one time also!

What makes you think any new people will be better then the old ones? They were new at one time also!

Very good point! But we certainly need to keep trying to get the right people into those positions.

What didn't they listen to the parent's about?

An example -- Let's say that due to forced budget cuts, they are thinking about cutting out Middle School Sports and/or Middle School band.

200 parents say they should cut out the sports, but keep the band.

200 parents say they should cut band, but keep sports.

200 parents say they should keep both.

and 200 parents say they should cut both.

Which parents should they listen to?

In the end, you'll have 200 parents happy and 600 parents saying the board never listens to the parents.

:D :D :)

Sounds like this line often heard in my family:

"We never do what I want to do!!"

I am forever trying to explain this to my three kids that if we treat everyone equally, they *still* will only get it their way 20% of the time.

Maybe the new ones will be compatent to hold the job. If not they go next.

Boot 'em out!

Have you polled every single teacher and reached a majority?

Please outline the gross mismanagement.

Define "and so forth".

Then please outline what will be solved by "boot[ing] 'em out".

I'll wait for an intelligent response. dirol.gif

Maybe the new ones will be compatent to hold the job. If not they go next.

And who's to say the while the "new" people are in office that they don't make matter worse? Because the do not know the whole story, work full time jobs and don't have the time or unwilling to take the time, to get up to speed on the real issues and the laws? A completely new board could cause more problems then they fix and take many years after they are gone to fix. Look at Clayton County's BOE for example!

some of the folks on school board are new... as of this year. I know and trust 2 board members. don't know about the others. my point is the new ones have not had much time to screw up or do well. give them new folks a chance.

While I will say that I no longer have children in the school district as they have gone on and received college educations and are now enjoying successful careers, (thanks to the wonderful education they received in Paulding County), I have to say that I never had a problem communicating with the School District. They always responded to any questions or concerns I had in a very timely and inteligent manner - they also did this for many others I know.

Maybe you can give us very specific examples on how they have mismanaged - I will be glad to listen to you if you will give me specifics (not just mere generalities).

The members of our school board get paid next to nothing to serve in these positions. I am of the opinion that these people are just concerned about the children of this county and making sure they receive the best education possible. They are in a "lose, lose" situation in light of the current economic climate of the United States and I would encourage anyone that thinks they can do a better job to simply run for a school board position and then report back to us and let us know how it is working out for you.

Good post, I have never had a problem communicating with the school board and supertendent. I can contact them and I will get a reply with two days. I think they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some of the folks on school board are new... as of this year. I know and trust 2 board members. don't know about the others. my point is the new ones have not had much time to screw up or do well. give them new folks a chance.

Me too,smile.gif wonder if it is the same two?

I second that!

And who's to say the while the "new" people are in office that they don't make matter worse? Because the do not know the whole story, work full time jobs and don't have the time or unwilling to take the time, to get up to speed on the real issues and the laws? A completely new board could cause more problems then they fix and take many years after they are gone to fix. Look at Clayton County's BOE for example!

Its the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. If you don't change anything things will be the way they are. I don't live in PC anymore so I really don't have a dog in the fight, but personally I don't see how anyone can defend the BOE or BOC in Paulding.

Good post, I have never had a problem communicating with the school board and supertendent. I can contact them and I will get a reply with two days. I think they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl! I left messages last monday and have not heard from 2 of the 3 I left messages with. Year before I left messages and still have not heard back.

As far as op...I agree things arent going well but unfortunatly as others have stated the economy as a whole is in dire straits and not much can be done about that. Last election I think we voted most incumbents out so we are dealing with new ppl.

rofl! I left messages last monday and have not heard from 2 of the 3 I left messages with. Year before I left messages and still have not heard back.

As far as op...I agree things arent going well but unfortunatly as others have stated the economy as a whole is in dire straits and not much can be done about that. Last election I think we voted most incumbents out so we are dealing with new ppl.

We only voted 3 new ones in during the last election. The others were up for re-election this time and none of them had a challenger. One chose to step down and someone qualified for that seat.

The mistakes have been to continue adding on huge auditoriums and new sports fields in additon to the "necessary" buildings when someone should've known how to use the brakes way back then. Now we have a plan to let the kids suffer for the old board's choices. How is that right? It's great that the "new" board is more realistic but now we're just tossing out everything, kids be damned? Hopefully they will find more creative ways to reach a middle road.

Its the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. If you don't change anything things will be the way they are. I don't live in PC anymore so I really don't have a dog in the fight, but personally I don't see how anyone can defend the BOE or BOC in Paulding.

If you do not live here, how can YOU talk about the BOC or BOE? Where do you get your info, PCOM? Boy, that's a real good source! :wacko:

The mistakes have been to continue adding on huge auditoriums and new sports fields in additon to the "necessary" buildings when someone should've known how to use the brakes way back then. Now we have a plan to let the kids suffer for the old board's choices. How is that right? It's great that the "new" board is more realistic but now we're just tossing out everything, kids be damned? Hopefully they will find more creative ways to reach a middle road.

I agree with you. Conserving in the good times makes the problems smaller in the bad times. We spent too much and I sure wish we could do it over. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Take a little time to understand how these projects are funded, when they were approved, and how those funds can ONLY be used. You will see a whole new light on these matters. It's not anywhere as simple as people think they are!

I think until they get rid of the good ole boys network going on in Paulding County this mess will continue on it's current path. How do you go into such debt in such a short amount of time? You can blame it on the recession but not all counties are in this position. Look at Douglas County, they're hiring teachers. I know for a fact because two of our teachers just got hired on there!

• Like 1

Take a little time to understand how these projects are funded, when they were approved, and how those funds can ONLY be used. You will see a whole new light on these matters. It's not anywhere as simple as people think they are!

Well it looks like we are still building. Can't the funds in the Bond, and the SPLOST, that have not been used,

be turned back over to reduce the amount of money the county will owe? If we have less debt to pay on wouldn't

it give us more to put somewhere else. Like to keep teachers. Just asking cause I don't know how that works.

I do plan to find out though.dry.gif

If you do not live here, how can YOU talk about the BOC or BOE? Where do you get your info, PCOM? Boy, that's a real good source! :wacko:

Your right, I have no friends that I talk to in Paulding that have kids in the school system or others that still live in the county. I didn't live there and see how F'd up the county was for about 5 years. I do get ALL my info from this site, none from other sources. I don't own a home there that I am still trying to sell and don't pay taxes to help put kids I don't have through that crappy school system. I don't have a close friend that is a teacher at EPHS or another that is a teacher at one of the middle schools. I have no idea what is going on, I have my head in the sand like 90 percent of the population. /s :rolleyes:

Edited by MotorCity MadMan

Piss Poor planning from the start, yeah, its pretty easy to figure out.

Your right, I have no friends that I talk to in Paulding that have kids in the school system or others that still live in the county. I didn't live there and see how F'd up the county was for about 5 years. I do get ALL my info from this site, none from other sources. I don't own a home there that I am still trying to sell and don't pay taxes to help put kids I don't have through that crappy school system. I don't have a close friend that is a teacher at EPHS or another that is a teacher at one of the middle schools. I have no idea what is going on, I have my head in the sand like 90 percent of the population. /s rolleyes.gif

You are too funny! :)

Piss Poor planning from the start, yeah, its pretty easy to figure out.

I agree!

Bingo, I understand. Capitol expeditures (infrastructure) VS O&M budget. Same thing as asking for a special "funding" tax. You can only use those funds on THAT project! In the private sector I asked for capitol $$$ on certain things we needed for growth in the business. If I sat on my arse on that $$$$ without starting the project I would be questioned why did I request the funding in the first place, and then told USE IT OR LOSE IT!!

People need to understand the general taxes VS any SPLOST taxes, and where each one is a different operate or wish list.

Well it looks like we are still building. Can't the funds in the Bond, and the SPLOST, that have not been used,

be turned back over to reduce the amount of money the county will owe? If we have less debt to pay on wouldn't

it give us more to put somewhere else. Like to keep teachers. Just asking cause I don't know how that works.

I do plan to find out though.dry.gif

Good question. Best be asked to an attorney that deals with bonds. But when have you seen a government body not spend every dime possible?