Paulding.com

NAACP Files Suit Against the State of Georgia

Whatever. There is always a way to complain no matter what it is.

You are right but this complaint is going to cost the taxpayers to defend. Either the state gives the schools more money or they have to defend themselves in court. I just wondered how other folks viewed the action.

It looks like a catch 22. Those universities are not really viewed as highly as the more economy-driving research and professional degree-granting universities, so they are not first on the list for appropriations. They just don't generate big, so they don't get big money. They didn't want to merge with other universities for cost-savings (and perhaps to expand their offerings) because they wanted to maintain their individual identity and autonomy. And for that decision they get to keep paying the price they have been paying. Of course, lot of students are also attracted to smaller schools, perhaps with more rural settings, and possibly better professor to student ratios. And, times are tough right now for all the universities- not just the historically black ones. It does surprise me though, as I thought the Board of Regents would be the one settling the matter- not individual universities through suing. The state suing the state? Who do these university presidents report to?

It looks like a catch 22. Those universities are not really viewed as highly as the more economy-driving research and professional degree-granting universities, so they are not first on the list for appropriations. They just don't generate big, so they don't get big money. They didn't want to merge with other universities for cost-savings (and perhaps to expand their offerings) because they wanted to maintain their individual identity and autonomy. And for that decision they get to keep paying the price they have been paying. Of course, lot of students are also attracted to smaller schools, perhaps with more rural settings, and possibly better professor to student ratios. And, times are tough right now for all the universities- not just the historically black ones. It does surprise me though, as I thought the Board of Regents would be the one settling the matter- not individual universities through suing. The state suing the state? Who do these university presidents report to?

I thought the suit was being brought by the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People).

NAACP says the State's lack of funding for the Black Colleges has created Second Class Schools.huh.gif Anybody have any thoughts on this. It made me think of some of the comments about racism in recent post. I guess I am not quite understanding the need for a lawsuit.

http://www.albanyherald.com/home/headlines/89818107.html

Can non blacks go to these schools?

Can non blacks go to these schools?

Then why are they calling it a black college? I thought segregation was done away with a long time ago. What happened to colleges just being called colleges? Why does it always have to be about freaking race???

• Like 1

Then why are they calling it a black college? I thought segregation was done away with a long time ago. What happened to colleges just being called colleges? Why does it always have to be about freaking race???

That's PREDOMINATELY black colleges. Where have you been the last 40 years? :ninja:

That's PREDOMINATELY black colleges. Where have you been the last 40 years? ninja.gif

I know what it is! It just seems like everyone is complaining there not getting something. I had to put my kids through college without any help from anyone. I didn't b**ch or complain about it, I just did it. It blows my mind colleges would be complaining there not getting something and they're using race!

Edited by Pensacola

NAACP says the State's lack of funding for the Black Colleges has created Second Class Schools.huh.gif Anybody have any thoughts on this. It made me think of some of the comments about racism in recent post. I guess I am not quite understanding the need for a lawsuit.

http://www.albanyherald.com/home/headlines/89818107.html

:rolleyes: Like they think they are the only ones. Again----> :rolleyes:

I know what it is! It just seems like everyone is complaining there not getting something. I had to put my kids through college without any help from anyone. I didn't b**ch or complain about it, I just did it. It blows my mind colleges would be complaining there not getting something and they're using race!

This is about school funding, not individual funds. :ph34r:

Exactley, we need to start calling Harvard, Yale, .......others "White Colleges" of those that are PREDOMINATELY White. Jughead should agree with that, right Jugsy.

http://www.albanyher...s/89818107.html

I get so tired of this crap. I wish the NAACP would go away.

people just don't want to let it go.

That's PREDOMINATELY black colleges. Where have you been the last 40 years? :ninja:

Sorry, but PREDOMINATELY white colleges are not called white colleges. Reality bites both ways and has for a lot longer than 40 years.

That AND the ACLU

It looks like the King family will destroy the SCLC with more of their supreme ability to manage money.

They milked the MLK memorial into bankruptcy and, as usual, the federal government stepped in and bailed them out. And I expect Obama will be sure and save the SCLC, one of the most racist organizations around.

Sorry, but PREDOMINATELY white colleges are not called white colleges. Reality bites both ways and has for a lot longer than 40 years.

They are actually called HBCU or HISTORICALLY BLACK Colleges and Universitys. It is a title given to those schools that were started for minorities when they were not allowed to attened other universites. Some of the best schools in this country are HBCUs and yes people of all races can and do attend them.

They are actually called HBCU or HISTORICALLY BLACK Colleges and Universitys. It is a title given to those schools that were started for minorities when they were not allowed to attened other universites. Some of the best schools in this country are HBCUs and yes people of all races can and do attend them.

Is that enough reason for them to keep the name or to sue because they want more money? Are the schools good enough to be supported by the State and do they meet the requirements to be supported with public funds. Just because they started as minority schools does not seem to be enough reason to me. Why is the NAACP filing the suit if they are no longer black colleges?

Some of the best? I am not recalling any that I would consider being a Harvard, Yale or Princeton type. Not trying to be a smart @$$, but could you name a couple?

I thought the suit was being brought by the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People).

I figure the NAACP wouldn't launch the suit without the tacit approval of the universities. If the universities don't take a vocal stance against the lawsuit that will be the indicator of their buy-in.