Paulding.com

Statement from Cobb about illegal workers

Statement from Cobb County Commission Chairman Sam Olens

(Marietta, GA -- February 11, 2010)

Last Thursday I received an e-mail concerning possible illegal workers at the County Courthouse project. The e-mail was forwarded to Turner, the general contractor, requesting immediate review of the allegations and a response forthwith.

Turner had affidavits per SB 529 and federal law, for all of its subcontractors on the job site. Unfortunately, it appears that a subcontractor, Zebra, hired a sub sub without complying with SB 529. The “Jobs for Georgians” complaint was verified and the sub sub has been removed from the site. We thank “Jobs for Georgians” for bringing this illegal activity to our attention. Turner is now seeking affidavits of sub subs and is reviewing their policies to include spot checks and name checks with I-9s.

Cobb County was in all likelihood the first local government in Georgia to fully comply with SB 529 and we are embarrassed and frustrated by Zebra’s alleged actions. All tax dollars should be sp¬ent consistent with Georgia law, assuring all labor on job sites is legal.

We have requested that Turner review all available legal options concerning the actions of Zebra and seek 100% compliance with the law at all times. Legal issues remain regarding possible fines and breach of contract. I have directed that the pertinent file be submitted to ICE for investigation.

Further, we remain concerned that SB 529 needs further strengthening. Proposed HB 1164 provides penalties for governments and contractors but not subcontractors. It is apparent that even with governments requiring the pertinent affidavits, contractors and subcontractors need to be fully responsible for every single employee on a job site.

###

For immediate release:

Robert Quigley

770-528-2480

This is funny. They are building this right behind our office and most of the workers use our parking lot as a cut thru. I will say that at least 80-90% are of mexican decent and most speak no english. We laugh because at least 3 or 4 days a week, they have a mexican roach coach back there at lunch and they come running off the job to get in line!!!

This is funny. They are building this right behind our office and most of the workers use our parking lot as a cut thru. I will say that at least 80-90% are of mexican decent and most speak no english. We laugh because at least 3 or 4 days a week, they have a mexican roach coach back there at lunch and they come running off the job to get in line!!!

Like these folks are gonna know what a roach coach is. :rolleyes:

taco01.jpg

Cat1.jpg

Yes, all hispanic people that work construction are here illegally ESPECIALLY those that enjoy food from their native land, not a single one may be attempting to make a better life for themselves legally. :glare:

Edited by MotorCity MadMan

This is part of an article in today's MDJ on the Cobb discovery. A new bill is being proposed today.

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/5986576/article-Claim-of-illegal-workers-now-under-state-jurisdiction?instance=home_news_left

The local situation hit the Capitol Wednesday, where Rep. Rick Austin (R-Demorest) presented House Bill 1164 before the Georgia House. Austin's bill proposes severe consequences for public entities that knowingly employ illegal workers. In Austin's bill, a local government who knowingly employs someone who is in the country illegally will lose its qualifying local government funds for a year. This includes all state funding and matching. If a state agency knowingly employs illegal workers, it will lose 10 percent of the state-funded budget the next year.

A spokesperson for Austin said the lawmaker is presenting his bill today, and has printed out copies of the Marietta Daily Journal's Wednesday article to use as an example for why his bill should be passed.

Yes, all hispanic people that work construction are here illegally ESPECIALLY those that enjoy food from their native land, not a single one may be attempting to make a better life for themselves legally. :glare:

As scary as this is to "say" ... I agree with MCM.

Sorry! It looks as though I am a thread killer here! I thought folks might be interested in this. I know I was.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see how this bill would have changed a single thing in the Cobb situation. Cobb did not knowingly employ anyone to do anything. One of their contractors did. And as soon as it was brought to Cobb's attention, it was addressed/handled.

As scary as this is to "say" ... I agree with MCM.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see how this bill would have changed a single thing in the Cobb situation. Cobb did not knowingly employ anyone to do anything. One of their contractors did. And as soon as it was brought to Cobb's attention, it was addressed/handled.

I agree that Cobb addressed it properly and quickly. I want to know the ramifications of the proposed Bill too. I do believe more should be done to keep this from happening. We know there are large numbers of Americans who are unemployed, and in the article on it yesterday, it stated that a stone mason (American Citizen) had been turned down by the company who had illegals working on this project. The company in question was not using E-verify which, as I understand it, is required in Georgia. Whose responsibility is it to make sure they do?

I agree that Cobb addressed it properly and quickly. I want to know the ramifications of the proposed Bill too. I do believe more should be done to keep this from happening. We know there are large numbers of Americans who are unemployed, and in the article I mentioned above, it stated that a stone mason (American Citizen) had been turned down by the company who had illegals working on this project. The company in question was not using E-verify which, as I understand it, is required in Georgia. Whose responsibility is it to make sure they do?

If the contractor was accepted for the job based on their use of it, it is their responsibility to ensure that everyone under them is clear. All of that aside, the proposed bill still would have no play in this case as Cobb did not "knowingly" hire any illegals.

If the contractor was accepted for the job based on their use of it, it is their responsibility to ensure that everyone under them is clear. All of that aside, the proposed bill still would have no play in this case as Cobb did not "knowingly" hire any illegals.

As I understand it they never used it and did not say they did. Who should be checking? The original contractor maybe? It sounds like a lot of "passing the buck". My question is where does the buck stop?

As I understand it they never used it and did not say they did. Who should be checking? The original contractor maybe? It sounds like a lot of "passing the buck". My question is where does the buck stop?

The sub sub contractor did not use it. Since they were brought onto the project under the umbrella of the primary contractor, it is the primary's responsibility.

The sub sub contractor did not use it. Since they were brought onto the project under the umbrella of the primary contractor, it is the primary's responsibility.

Should they be pulled from the project then or made to pay hefty fines? I don't think Cobb County is responsible and I wonder what recourse they should have here. Maybe they should be able to levy fines. I don't know what the solution is, but what is being done is not working in the favor of Americans without jobs, or for companies that cannot under bid those using illegal labor. JMO

Should they be pulled from the project then or made to pay hefty fines? I don't think Cobb County is responsible and I wonder what recourse they should have here. Maybe they should be able to levy fines. I don't know what the solution is, but what is being done is not working in the favor of Americans without jobs, or for companies that cannot under bid those using illegal labor. JMO

I have to disagree. I think it is working. Really, how many illegals do you think would have been on that job up until recently? And a big :good: to the group that found that one guy that was working on the project. I absolutely believe that Zebra (the sub sub contractor) should be completely pulled from the job and should go on a list of contractors not permitted to work on government jobs for a period of 3-5 years. I also believe they absolutely should be fined. They weren't duped by counterfeit paperwork. They did not do their job in checking the guy out and I firmly believe they knew his status.

Cobb knows there are LOTS of illegals in and around Marietta. Heck Marietta helped get them off of PS and Sandtown and allows them to set up shop on South Cobb Drive at what use to be a RaceTrac but now a Texaco.

I stopped at that Texaco about 2 months ago to get gas. It was FULL of Mexicans! By the time I got stopped 3 yes 3 had already jumped in the back of my truck looking at me. I was like........what the hellllll000000 are they doing... Then another one came running over there and said that they will work for CHEAP...CHEAP.. They needed money to get back home to Mexico!!! I told them that I think INS would take them for FREE!! Now get outtta my damn truck. I ended up showing them a Louisville Slugger to get outta my damn truck.

Now, it would have been different if I would have drove up and said..."I need people to work" but I didn't...I just need freaking gas!

I have to disagree. I think it is working. Really, how many illegals do you think would have been on that job up until recently? And a big good.gif to the group that found that one guy that was working on the project. I absolutely believe that Zebra (the sub sub contractor) should be completely pulled from the job and should go on a list of contractors not permitted to work on government jobs for a period of 3-5 years. I also believe they absolutely should be fined. They weren't duped by counterfeit paperwork. They did not do their job in checking the guy out and I firmly believe they knew his status.

If I read the info correctly they found at least 10 workers there who were illegal. The next day there were a number of folks who did not show claiming the wind as the reason. I don't think it is working when the last figures I saw on Illegals working in America were 12 million. How many American Citizens are out of work? Zebra was not duped by counterfeit paperwork. THEY DID NOT E-verify for a reason. JMO

Cobb knows there are LOTS of illegals in and around Marietta. Heck Marietta helped get them off of PS and Sandtown and allows them to set up shop on South Cobb Drive at what use to be a RaceTrac but now a Texaco.

I stopped at that Texaco about 2 months ago to get gas. It was FULL of Mexicans! By the time I got stopped 3 yes 3 had already jumped in the back of my truck looking at me. I was like........what the hellllll000000 are they doing... Then another one came running over there and said that they will work for CHEAP...CHEAP.. They needed money to get back home to Mexico!!! I told them that I think INS would take them for FREE!! Now get outtta my damn truck. I ended up showing them a Louisville Slugger to get outta my damn truck.

Now, it would have been different if I would have drove up and said..."I need people to work" but I didn't...I just need freaking gas!

Sure, Cobb knows they are there. That isn't what we're discussing, though. But since you've brought that up ... if the property owner is permitting them to be on the property, what right does Cobb have to go up to them and demand proof of their legal right to be in this country? Much as I'd love to see all illegals go back to where they started and get here the right way, we can't let that override our common sense. It's a very short hop and skip to a police state if we allow our officers to be able to demand papers from anyone on the street without probable cause, don't you think? Now, if they are caught in any other illegal activity, there should be an express lane to get them out of here.

If I read the info correctly they found at least 10 workers there who were illegal. The next day there were a number of folks who did not show claiming the wind as the reason. I don't think it is working when the last figures I saw on Illegals working in America were 12 million. How many American Citizens are out of work? Zebra was not duped by counterfeit paperwork. THEY DID NOT E-verify for a reason. JMO

I will admit that I only caught the report of the one individual and not any more. It's obvious there is a problem. As I said, though ... the sub sub contractor knew exactly what they were doing. They absolutely should be off the job, be fined heavily, and be on a "black-balled" list for county jobs for a period of whatever number of years. (I mentioned 3-5 earlier as an example.)

RaceTrac sold that property BECAUSE it was flooded with illegal activity! It was hurting their bottom line.

Roll an INS bus there and watch what happens.

Ok...now I have a new business plan.... I'm going to start selling knock off busses that look like INS busses. :ninja:

Hell...then I'll go to jail for impersonating a guberment official.... Hmm but I will get 3 meals...a place to sleep...a hot shower.... No house payments... and heck..I can even try something new while I'm there :: women :: :ninja: :rofl:

RaceTrac sold that property BECAUSE it was flooded with illegal activity! It was hurting their bottom line.

Ok...now I have a new business plan.... I'm going to start selling knock off busses that look like INS busses. :ninja:

Hell...then I'll go to jail for impersonating a guberment official.... Hmm but I will get 3 meals...a place to sleep...a hot shower.... No house payments... and heck..I can even try something new while I'm there :: women :: :ninja: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Ok...now I have a new business plan.... I'm going to start selling knock off busses that look like INS busses. ninja.gif

Hell...then I'll go to jail for impersonating a guberment official.... Hmm but I will get 3 meals...a place to sleep...a hot shower.... No house payments... and heck..I can even try something new while I'm there :: women :: ninja.gif rofl.gif

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

Look out! Folks may steal your idea!

You know what? F 'em. Right now we need to be circling the wagons and worrying about making better lives for AMERICANS. I wouldn't care if we started deporting all of them.

You know what? F 'em. Right now we need to be circling the wagons and worrying about making better lives for AMERICANS. I wouldn't care if we started deporting all of them.

Unless your ass is 100% Native American I bet your glad no one had that attitude during the depression.

• Like 1

Unless your ass is 100% Native American I bet your glad no one had that attitude during the depression.

Couldn't care less. Those of us in the commercial construction industry that have worked hard to maintain our quality and reputation only to get hammered on bid day by some low life operation using Hispanic labor are fed up.

WOW...For once,I actually agree with you. :clapping:

Edited by PraiseThee

Couldn't care less. Those of us in the commercial construction industry that have worked hard to maintain our quality and reputation only to get hammered on bid day by some low life operation using Hispanic labor are fed up.

So those that have done it the right way, have their papers, or are maybe actual US citizens should be treated the same as illegals because they are the same race? Are you serious?

I understand your frustration but America is better then that.

Ithy, the fact you agree should tell Feelip how wrong he was.

Edited by MotorCity MadMan

So those that have done it the right way, have their papers, or are maybe actual US citizens should be treated the same as illegals because they are the same race? Are you serious?

U.S. citizens? No. Mexicans here on work visas, get 'em outa here. Illegals? Sentence them to five years of free labor picking vegetables and then deport them.

If something drastic is not done soon there isn't going to be an America to be better than anything.

This topic is about illegals working jobs that Americans are being passed over for. 'feelip is absolutely correct, companies are being under bid and under cut, because others are using illegals to do the work. They pay in cash, do not take out taxes, or insurance, and pay less. How can Americans compete with that. To add insult to injury the taxpayer is then expected to pay their medical bills. California is a state that has encouraged this type of thing and now they want states like Georgia to bail them out.

This topic is about illegals working jobs that Americans are being passed over for. 'feelip is absolutely correct, companies are being under bid and under cut, because others are using illegals to do the work. They pay in cash, do not take out taxes, or insurance, and pay less. How can Americans compete with that. To add insult to injury the taxpayer is then expected to pay their medical bills. California is a state that has encouraged this type of thing and now they want states like Georgia to bail them out.

Not to mention, the American jobs that have been taken away by them. Many in construction and other occupations are laid off and losing their homes. Get them out of this country.

But the subject did take a bit of a turn when it was implied by another poster that all Hispanics are illegal.

But the subject did take a bit of a turn when it was implied by another poster that all Hispanics are illegal.

I guess I missed that. I have no problem at all with Legal Immigration. I do want them to speak English. Americans are not able to get jobs in some areas now because they don't speak Spanish. I think there is something wrong with that picture.

Well, considering the fact that I deal with them on a daily basis (not just from the worksite--but in my job) I can tell you that they ARE NOT citizens. That is the bottom line. Most of them drive better cars than most of us, have more designer crap than most of us (and they don't like to carry the knock-offs)--but yet the government is paying all of their medical expenses and they are getting WIC for their kids. Try walking around the Walmart on Cobb Parkway. They are riding around the parking lot in the Suburbans, Escalades, etc--but yet they go get their foood with food stamps and WIC--and we shouldn't be upset about it??????

I have had clients come in to me to save their house from foreclosure, working in a tortilla factory (yes there is one in Marietta) and then when it comes to their court date (in Federal Court), they call me all in a panick because they lied to us, give us a fake SSN and are scared to go to Court because they are illegal. They own more than me and most people that I know owns--and they got it all with an illegal SSN?????

Yeah---it ticks me off. And I would venture to say that probably 75% of them that you see in this area---are illegal.

• Like 1

The term "illegal immigrant workers" is one of the is one of the biggest bogus terms ever to come out of the American lexicon. The bigger issue is that in alot of cases these people are NOT being given a "better life", but are being exploited by greedy, shifty American firms and cooperations. Not only does this issue rob the US Government and State Governments of Taxes sorely needed, it also cheapens the going rate at which legitimate workers are paid. Do you think that a set of blinds produced by an American company using illegal workers cost significantly less than one produced by a legit American company using legal workers covered by American Labor Laws? Hardly. The guys using illegals just pockets more profit.

Next is the issue of the illegal workers themselves and their treatment by these firms and companies. They are paid cash straight up, often at far less than the minimum wage. But since they are not being taxed on that income the illegal worker can come out on the better end than legal workers working for minimum wage. But the sad part is that these workers can be discarded faster than a used condom. They are not covered by ANY kind of insurance except Medicare or Medicaid. A worker gets hurt on the job, oh well, so long, we can hire your buddy to do the exact same job. No Lawsuit if the company is to blame, the guy never says a word because he'll be deported or worse. If he does say a anything to the authorities, his buddies are now gonna be gunning for him because INS raided the company and all his illegal buddies lost their jobs. I wouldn't want to be in that snitches shoes. If the developer finishes the subdivision and skips out on paying the crew their final paycheck, oh well. These guys working conditions are also at the best "questionable" at times. I was working in a new subdivision a few years ago and saw a Hispanic man cutting concrete with a saw. The dust was flying up in his face and he didn't have a mask or a set of goggles, I took a dust mask and goggles off my truck and gave them to the guy, probably saved his life or sight, how long can you live breathing concrete dust or rubbing your eyes to get the crap out and not go blind. Unreal.

Another true story. Me and a few guys were sitting at a Chinese restaurant in Woodstock a few years ago during the last years of the construction bubble. We were right behind three developers who were talking about just finishing up a new subdivision of 300 homes. One of them bragged he was getting $90,000 a home!!! Then said all he did was drive around making sure his Mexicans were working. We knew exactly which subdivision they were talking about. No real secret they were using illegals because we were in that subdivision every day. The average price of the homes were between $300,000 and $450,000!!! That's obscene!!! Those workers were being paid $60 to $80 dollars a day, cash. It was disgusting...

When people support illegal workers they are promoting the greed of these underhanded tactics and supporting the exploitation of these people. That's on top of Americans losing out on a decent paying job.

• Like 1

Well, considering the fact that I deal with them on a daily basis (not just from the worksite--but in my job) I can tell you that they ARE NOT citizens. That is the bottom line. Most of them drive better cars than most of us, have more designer crap than most of us (and they don't like to carry the knock-offs)--but yet the government is paying all of their medical expenses and they are getting WIC for their kids. Try walking around the Walmart on Cobb Parkway. They are riding around the parking lot in the Suburbans, Escalades, etc--but yet they go get their foood with food stamps and WIC--and we shouldn't be upset about it??????

I have had clients come in to me to save their house from foreclosure, working in a tortilla factory (yes there is one in Marietta) and then when it comes to their court date (in Federal Court), they call me all in a panick because they lied to us, give us a fake SSN and are scared to go to Court because they are illegal. They own more than me and most people that I know owns--and they got it all with an illegal SSN?????

Yeah---it ticks me off. And I would venture to say that probably 75% of them that you see in this area---are illegal.

:good:

I guess I missed that. I have no problem at all with Legal Immigration. I do want them to speak English. Americans are not able to get jobs in some areas now because they don't speak Spanish. I think there is something wrong with that picture.

I do agree with the English thing. Every other group of immigrants to this country has learned to adjust and adapt to the standard, to the norm here ... not so with a large segment of the Hispanic immigrant population, be they legal or not. That does annoy me.

I do agree with the English thing. Every other group of immigrants to this country has learned to adjust and adapt to the standard, to the norm here ... not so with a large segment of the Hispanic immigrant population, be they legal or not. That does annoy me.

pfft. you don't get your nails done, do you?

I have to disagree. I think it is working. Really, how many illegals do you think would have been on that job up until recently? And a big :good: to the group that found that one guy that was working on the project. I absolutely believe that Zebra (the sub sub contractor) should be completely pulled from the job and should go on a list of contractors not permitted to work on government jobs for a period of 3-5 years. I also believe they absolutely should be fined. They weren't duped by counterfeit paperwork. They did not do their job in checking the guy out and I firmly believe they knew his status.

Amen to this right thinking!!!