Paulding.com

As per the news last night: For those texting to give money to the scarlet cross

The news reminded that for those who think they've done their duty by sending a text message to get money to the red cross that it will take MONTHS for any of that to actually reach Haitians IF it ever does. The money is held by the phone company for a period of time before it's released to the red cross and they may or may not actually use it in Haiti! Just because it's the Red Cross doesn't mean it's the BEST option out there for reaching the Haitians quickly. SOmewhere is a thread listing all kinda other options for giving to other organizations that will get immediately to the relief effort. THey recommend doing your homework.

more information about texting 'haiti' 90999 to donate $10 and for donating through wyclef's foundation.

Mobile carriers Verizon, AT&T Inc, Sprint and T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telekom AG, have waived fees for customers wishing to send mobile donations, and have reported that they are not taking a cut of the donations. All funds are going to the Red Cross in their entirety, although there might be some lags till they actually go from the donor to the charity. Jim Manis, chief executive officer of The Mobile Giving Foundation, said in a statement that donations can take 90 days to be delivered to a charity, and that currently the carriers are “working through a solution to push those funds out faster.”

Give on the Go, Yele’s mobile application service provider announced that Haiti-born hip-hop musician Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund has raised $2 million via text messages – cellphone users can donate $5 to this fund by texting the word “Yele” to 501501.

The news reminded that for those who think they've done their duty by sending a text message to get money to the red cross that it will take MONTHS for any of that to actually reach Haitians IF it ever does. The money is held by the phone company for a period of time before it's released to the red cross and they may or may not actually use it in Haiti! Just because it's the Red Cross doesn't mean it's the BEST option out there for reaching the Haitians quickly. SOmewhere is a thread listing all kinda other options for giving to other organizations that will get immediately to the relief effort. THey recommend doing your homework.

I forgot to add-this was channel 5 on an antenna receiver-which I believe is Fox 5. (it's the one with Ken Cook for a meteorologist)

more information about texting 'haiti' 90999 to donate $10 and for donating through wyclef's foundation.

Give on the Go, Yele’s mobile application service provider announced that Haiti-born hip-hop musician Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund has raised $2 million via text messages – cellphone users can donate $5 to this fund by texting the word “Yele” to 501501.

There have been questions asked about Wyclef's charity...http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=452067&GT1=28102

Edited by Superscoot52

There have been questions asked about Wyclef's charity...http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=452067&GT1=28102

That was on the news, too. They are being investigated and no statement is yet available. The I-Team said they would report as soon as the investigators made a determination.

That was on the news, too. They are being investigated and no statement is yet available. The I-Team said they would report as soon as the investigators made a determination.

It simply sounds to me like the organization has grown "too big for its britches" without the proper financial controls in place to ensure the necessary compliance. It is concerning that The Wyclef Jean organization gets little to no mention at all on some of the main charity evaluation websites. I would be highly skeptical about giving to that particular organization.

Thats exactly why I didn't do that. I hate that so many people have tried to good only to realize that these Haiti may never see this money.

Millions and Millions and Millions of dollars were donated after Katrina, specifically for that cause, and I will never forget the head of Red Cross going on TV a few months later to give an accounting of where the money had gone. The dollar figure was paltry compared to what had been given and this person was so 'proud' that they were able to use the money to use elsewhere for other needs. I was furious, all the people that had donated had done so for Katrina vicims, who still need help by the way, and they had not used it in the manner that they should have. EVERY SINGLE CENT should have been used in New Orleans, not just some of it.

I still have a problem with that and the Salvation Army get my money now.

One thing the report did not point out is that the Red Cross has financial backing and can borrow money based upon the anticipated "pledged" amount!

It will not take months for them to spend the money, they will go ahead and make purchases of needed items based on the "pledged" or "floating" amounts.

One thing the report did not point out is that the Red Cross has financial backing and can borrow money based upon the anticipated "pledged" amount!

It will not take months for them to spend the money, they will go ahead and make purchases of needed items based on the "pledged" or "floating" amounts.

The US State Department has backed the donations up to $1 million with an instant loan. They are working directly with the Telecoms and the Red Cross to make sure that all funds are delivered as soon as possible, and may increase that guarantee so that more supplies can be purchased and delivered immediately.

Verizon announced Friday that they have already transferred $3 Million in cash to the Red Cross as an advance on the program and will not wait for the billing cycle to complete. ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile are expected to follow suit.

• Like 1

UNICEF is a horrible alternative.

Red Cross

Unicef

Save the Children

All received high marks on Charity Navigator and Charity Watch with at least 90% of all funds raised going directly to the cause.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

http://www.charitywatch.org/

I made the decision to give to the Red Cross because of these ratings and because they have been on the ground and in the trenches (as Unicef and Save the Children has) in this country for years.

ABC said this morning that the Red Cross had convoys coming into the area today. CBS said that the phone companies are working to get the funds distributed as quickly as possible, that this was new for them and they are working hard to get the money out.

ABC said this morning that the Red Cross had convoys coming into the area today. CBS said that the phone companies are working to get the funds distributed as quickly as possible, that this was new for them and they are working hard to get the money out.

The companies have already transferred at least $4.2 Million as of Friday evening, and the US State Dept has guaranteed $1Million more.

Reports that it would take up to 90 days for the RC to get the funds were inaccurate.

The companies have already transferred at least $4.2 Million as of Friday evening, and the US State Dept has guaranteed $1Million more.

Reports that it would take up to 90 days for the RC to get the funds were inaccurate.

Thank you... I for the life of me do not know why people want to try and cause doubt for a group who has proved over and over and over just how much they help. But here and around the world. It really makes me sick.

The website Atlanta Cares was set up by CARE USA, the Atlanta-based Internation Relief & Development Agency. It for donations for Haiti --- they already has a staff working in Haiti.

Having retired a few years back from 17 years with this organization, I know the excellent work they do in disaster areas and urge you to donate there.

I'm sure it is a nightmare trying to get the funds from the cell phone companies directly to the people of Haiti quickly. For those that care, Wyclef went directly to Haiti and is involving himself in the efforts to save people who need it right now.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/3uaod

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom

I'm sure it is a nightmare trying to get the funds from the cell phone companies directly to the people of Haiti quickly. For those that care, Wyclef went directly to Haiti and is involving himself in the efforts to save people who need it right now.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/3uaod

and the confusion goes on...do your OWN homework before giving your hard earned money to ANY organization

I fully trust Samaritan's Purse (Franklin Graham's organization), especially after seeing them in action during our own flood relief effort...you can see what they are doing now:

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/articles/responding_to_haiti_earthquake/

Edited by ohmygosh