Paulding.com

Former Cobb police officer dies years after wreck

Former Cobb County police officer Freddie Norman died Saturday, 21 years after a drunk driver ended Norman’s law enforcement career.

Norman, 45, of Austell died at Wellstar Cobb Hospital as a result of medical complications caused by injuries he suffered in the accident, said Nathan McCreary, spokesman for Cobb County police.

In April 1988, Norman was responding to an emergency call on Pat Mell Road when his patrol car was struck by another vehicle driven by a juvenile drunk driver. The accident left Norman a quadriplegic. He was unable to speak and used a computer to communicate.

( http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb...age_tab_newstab )

I don't know how many of y'all will remember this, but I remember it *very* well. As I recall, the "juvenile" was in fact a teenager who had only been licensed for a short time.

Rest in peace, Officer Norman. :(

I remember quite well when this happened. So sad.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

The article in the newspaper mentioned that one of his daughters is an Austell police officer. She gets an extra thought and prayer from me since she is employed with a PD that protects and serves friends and family of mine in Austell.

Officer Freddie Norman was an amazing man. He has 3 amazing daughters, one of which I am proud to say is my Best Friend. The family is doing good through this hard time. And I know they are very appreciative of all of your thoughts and prayers. His middle daughter, Christi, is an officer in Austell and her daddy was very proud of her. I just wanted to say Thank you all for the prayers!

I know that the family will be very appreciative of your thoughts and prayers. The visitation will be tomorrow night at West Cobb Funeral Home from 6 until closing. The funeral is on Wednesday at 2 pm at Roswell Street Baptist Church in Marietta with interment at Cheatham Hill Memorial Park.

Former Cobb County police officer Freddie Norman died Saturday, 21 years after a drunk driver ended Norman’s law enforcement career.

Norman, 45, of Austell died at Wellstar Cobb Hospital as a result of medical complications caused by injuries he suffered in the accident, said Nathan McCreary, spokesman for Cobb County police.

In April 1988, Norman was responding to an emergency call on Pat Mell Road when his patrol car was struck by another vehicle driven by a juvenile drunk driver. The accident left Norman a quadriplegic. He was unable to speak and used a computer to communicate.

( http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb...age_tab_newstab )

I don't know how many of y'all will remember this, but I remember it *very* well. As I recall, the "juvenile" was in fact a teenager who had only been licensed for a short time.

Rest in peace, Officer Norman. :(

Thanks so much Officer Norman for your service. Rest in peace