Paulding.com

u-verse down ,was told it is a state wide problem

so our u-verse went out about an hour ago. local stations are affected more that premium channels . the picture and sound are broken up .i was told the restore time would be late tonight or tomorrow . supposedly engineers are working on it .

so our u-verse went out about an hour ago. local stations are affected more that premium channels . the picture and sound are broken up .i was told the restore time would be late tonight or tomorrow . supposedly engineers are working on it .

They are full of sheeze.

If it requires a Uverse tech to visit the VRAD near your home, you can forget it happening tonight. If it is an internal network problem then it should be fixed within an hour or two--or much less depending on the skill of the engineers.

The people fronting incoming calls are Tier 1 CSM's. The next time you call back ask to speak to a Tier III--this should at least get you someone with rudimentary networking/telecom skills. The last time I spoke to a Tier I--I was lied to. I knew I was being lied to. So, I drove to the VRAD and DSLAM that services my neighborhood. I called uverse tech support back and asked what the status was. The CSM put me on hold to 'call the technician.' She came back and told me they were onsite and resolving the issue. The problem, however, is that I was parked in front of the VRAD. I had taken a picture before I called. I asked the CSM what her email address was so I could send her the pic. She hung up.

I finally got the most senior person on shift. I explained the situation and the fact I had pictures. The next business day they called me exactly when they said they would. The guy that called was apparently one of the senior account retention reps. He literally put me on hold, called the technician, and stayed on the phone with me until the dude pulled up in my driveway so he could get verbal verification from me that he was in fact present.

Good luck.

• Like 2

They are full of cheeze.

If it requires a Uverse tech to visit the VRAD near your home, you can forget it happening tonight. If it is an internal network problem then it should be fixed within an hour or two--or much less depending on the skill of the engineers.

The people fronting incoming calls are Tier 1 CSM's. The next time you call back ask to speak to a Tier III--this should at least get you someone with rudimentary networking/telecom skills. The last time I spoke to a Tier I--I was lied to. I knew I was being lied to. So, I drove to the VRAD and DSLAM that services my neighborhood. I called uverse tech support back and asked what the status was. The CSM put me on hold to 'call the technician.' She came back and told me they were onsite and resolving the issue. The problem, however, is that I was parked in front of the VRAD. I had taken a picture before I called. I asked the CSM what her email address was so I could send her the pic. She hung up.

I finally got the most senior person on shift. I explained the situation and the fact I had pictures. The next business day they called me exactly when they said they would. The guy that called was apparently one of the senior account retention reps. He literally put me on hold, called the technician, and stayed on the phone with me until the dude pulled up in my driveway so he could get verbal verification from me that he was in fact present.

Good luck.

ATT people lied?

Say it ain't so!

You know how to tell if they are lying to you.....their lips are moving.

(or if you are on the phone, you hear a voice)

My U verse just come back on. Only my TV was out--which is weird. Usually the internet and TV go at the same time.

I will say that I have had more issues with U Verse the last couple of months than I have the 2 yrs that I have had their service.

And I was just a little ticked off today when it kept going out during Dr. Phil!! that mama June is one crazy woman-not in a good way. And totally disgusting to boot.

• Like 1

Ha! My wife has had me reset the wi-fi transmitter (wireless box) 4 times tonight. I thought it was something in-house here. Thanks!

mrnn

I did the only thing I knew to do, unplug the box for 1 minute and plug it back in.

After that, I did the next best thing, ate some ice cream.

(don't tell the wife about the ice cream)

For those of you with UVERSE, I assume you are getting your internet through it. How is the internet service? I'm still on DSL and the Service level is sucking BIG Time. I'll have 5-10 second delays in web sites opening sometimes, like network interface ports are severely overloaded.

I'm wondering if AT&T is throttling the bandwidth available to DSL to try to push people onto UVERSE so they don't have to maintain multiple networks. So I ask if UVERSE acts the same way.

My wife has had her Bellsouth.net email addresses for 16 years now and doesn't want to change it, or I'd moved over to Comcast Internet already.

• Like 1

For those of you with UVERSE, I assume you are getting your internet through it. How is the internet service? I'm still on DSL and the Service level is sucking BIG Time. I'll have 5-10 second delays in web sites opening sometimes, like network interface ports are severely overloaded.

I'm wondering if AT&T is throttling the bandwidth available to DSL to try to push people onto UVERSE so they don't have to maintain multiple networks. So I ask if UVERSE acts the same way.

My wife has had her Bellsouth.net email addresses for 16 years now and doesn't want to change it, or I'd moved over to Comcast Internet already.

keeping our email addresses were the big factor in switching to Uverse. It is significantly better than the DSL, but still not eyepoppingly fast. We had DirecTv for 13 years and they wouldn't come close to matching the programming packages that Uverse offered at the same price. Until we made the switch, then they have deals you wouldn't believe, and call 2x a day to tell me how much they miss me and all that.

Switched from DTV and DSL/landline combo to Uverse and saved $150 a month with 450 channels and all the movies thrown in. I'd have to "go dark" before I'd ever do biz with Comcrooks.

For those who want to move but don't want to loose your email address - tere are a number of companies that offer inexpensive or free email addresses. go find one of the services (I wouldn't use Gmail or Yahoo for this - go a little less mainstream) and sigh up, then slowly move your email to that address.

I did that 20+ years ago with mail.com and still have the same address even though I've switched providers a few times. It costs in the neighborhood of $25.00 per year.

For those who want to move but don't want to loose your email address - tere are a number of companies that offer inexpensive or free email addresses. go find one of the services (I wouldn't use Gmail or Yahoo for this - go a little less mainstream) and sigh up, then slowly move your email to that address.

I did that 20+ years ago with mail.com and still have the same address even though I've switched providers a few times. It costs in the neighborhood of $25.00 per year.

Yea, I signed up with Hotmail years ago and still use that one for my personal address over my bellsouth address.

And I have Comcast and have for over 20 years and thankfully I've never had any serious problems.

I can't stand AT&T. And while I was still working there it was a major objective to get everyone cut over to U Verse and I think if you're still on DSL you are throttled. I think some lawsuits proved that.

And I have Comcast and have for over 20 years and thankfully I've never had any serious problems.

I can't stand AT&T. And while I was still working there it was a major objective to get everyone cut over to U Verse and I think if you're still on DSL you are throttled. I think some lawsuits proved that.

(off to google such lawsuits)

Their speeds are nonsense. I mean I like UVerse, considering my options, but they are full of sheeze. I used to have the ~24mb package, I rarely was north of 15mb. I upgraded to the 45mb package and I think I've seen my speed hit 30mb once. But it's not a dedicated line so they won't allow you to complain until you're at less than half the speed you purchase.

mrnn

Their speeds are nonsense. I mean I like UVerse, considering my options, but they are full of cheeze. I used to have the ~24mb package, I rarely was north of 15mb. I upgraded to the 45mb package and I think I've seen my speed hit 30mb once. But it's not a dedicated line so they won't allow you to complain until you're at less than half the speed you purchase.

mrnn

It is a dedicated line, however, what they don't tell you until you complain, is that they are pushing ALL IP traffic (voice, tv, in addition to data) on the Uverse lines. Uverse is two DSL lines that are bonded (the bandwidth is shared between the two). These DSL's are terminated to an NID somewhere on the premises of the home/business.

Bascially, the more televisions you have pumping HD, the slower your internet connection will be.

The main difference between the two is the 'backend.' The little phone boxes you see scattered every mile or so contain a DSLAM. This is where the copper wiring from your home eventually makes it back to. The stretch between that box and your house is called 'the last mile' in telecom lingo.

The traditional DSL last mile terminates to a regular ADSL DSLAM. There is networking device inside that has DS1 and DS3 circuits carrying the traffic over the ATM (not the money dispenser :-) ) protocol. I am sure some of those that have been customers for many years remember having to actually connect via a PPPoE connection using a username and password just like dial up.

The uverse last mile terminates to a newer DSLAM that is video enabled called a VRAD. It is based on ADSL2+ and is a wholely IP switched and routed protocol. The backbone is gigabit ethernet on fiber as opposed to the slower copper circuits. Hence, this is why ATT is pushing for all existing customers to move to 'uverse.' Their corporate goal is to push all customers off of PSTN and legacy DSL. They want their entire product base to be on a single IP packet based network.

It makes complete sense from a technical standpoint, however, you lose a lot of the reliability of analog phone service and of course degraded speeds. There is only so much that can be pushed through RJ11 copper.

Thank you. That's how it works.

And the lawsuits I was talking about had to do with AT&T charging for the highest priced DSL while you were only getting the speed that was available in your area over copper. I don't care how much you pay, you can't make it any faster than it is.

You can only get real speed on fiber.

Thank you. That's how it works.

And the lawsuits I was talking about had to do with AT&T charging for the highest priced DSL while you were only getting the speed that was available in your area over copper. I don't care how much you pay, you can't make it any faster than it is.

You can only get real speed on fiber.

The 45mb service I have, essentially a DS3, is an electrical signal and can only be carried over copper. I refuse to believe they've dropped a DS3 at my home....while I may have dedicated lines to my home, I am sharing whatever bandwidth available at the DSLAM with other customers. It's the most efficient way for them to do it being you'd rarely have a group of customers all maxing out their bandwidth at once....I just feel that they're not allotting enough bandwidth for our particular neighborhood to share and then cover their own asses by saying, "well, we can't do anything until you're getting less than half of what you're paying for."

mrnn

• Like 1

"well, we can't do anything until you're getting less than half of what you're paying for."

But that is what they're doing.

I'm just gonna say I had respect and enjoyed my job when I worked for Southern Bell and then Bell South. I'm glad I was able to retire after AT&T took over because of what they did to their customers. And are still doing.

And then, to almost rub it in, we have Google Fiber and AT&T's equivalent being rolled out in select areas throughout the metro Atlanta area (though the AT&T project is temporarily on hold). True gigabit ethernet, fiber to the home....for those of you not familiar with telecom, that's a 1000MB connection. Google is charging $120/mo for both gigE and TV service. While I recognize Paulding is pretty rural, our leadership should've atleast tried to qualify one of our cities to gain this service....it's a HUGE selling point to a lot of potential house-hunters, especially those with higher incomes and/or those who work, or run businesses, out of their homes.

mrnn

Edited by mrnn
  • Like 1

The 45mb service I have, essentially a DS3, is an electrical signal and can only be carried over copper. I refuse to believe they've dropped a DS3 at my home....while I may have dedicated lines to my home, I am sharing whatever bandwidth available at the DSLAM with other customers. It's the most efficient way for them to do it being you'd rarely have a group of customers all maxing out their bandwidth at once....I just feel that they're not allotting enough bandwidth for our particular neighborhood to share and then cover their own asses by saying, "well, we can't do anything until you're getting less than half of what you're paying for."

mrnn

You are 100% correct. I was referring to the DS3/DS1's being at the DSLAM where, as you stated, it is all aggregated (at least on the old ATM stuff). They are selling last mile speeds to the SLIC/DSLAM/VRAD--as you pointed out.

ATT has the added luxury of blaming distance to the CO, attenuation, line degradation, etc..etc. They can cloud the waters for days without having to address if they are actually shaping or rate policing customers.

I will add their latency sucks as well. I used get p out within ATT's network is never less than 30ms (in GA).

My daughter that lives off of Sweetwater Church Rd said that her Uverse was not interrupted at all. Makes you wonder about AT & T, I do NOT like them one bit but, we may have to reconsider our service with them.

There are 5 houses around the end of our cul-de-sac. One has DirecTv, two have Uverse, and two have Comcrooks. Our Uverse was not out, but the house across the cul-de-sac was out.