Paulding.com

I'm one of "those" people. I don't know why? I like colors. :pardon:

That's said, I recently watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on PBS. It was creepy, but good. That Bette Davis was quite the actress. I'm sure I have seen other black and white movies in my time, but I can't remember them.

Casablanca, citizen kane, psycho, 39 steps, Laurel and Hardy movies, Buster Keaton Movies, City Lights, The Great Dictator, other Chaplin movies, WC Fields, Marx Brothers (Duck Soup, The Department Store, etc.) and one of my favorites - Dr. Strangelove or even the original King Kong. Growing up in the 1950s, we had a steady stream of B movies in black and white with titles ranging from creature from the black lagoon to High Noon or even the scary-movie genre like "The House of Usher" (which was on turner movies the other night along with other Vincent Price 'classics.'

Then there were historically memorable silent movies - also black and white - like The Great Train Robbery (The train is in the museum at Kennesaw), the Birth of a Nation (that featured the KKK) and that 1902 film classic A trip to the Moon that was one of those that helped forge the language of moving pictures. While I can appreciate the silent genre and learned from their techniques (I did some courses on film), I tend to avoid silent films because of their over the top acting (Simon Legree throwing the widow from her home or the woman tied to the railroad tracks.). Still, I availed myself of the opportunity to see Buster Keaton do the Great Train Robbery on Turner Movies three or four week ago and enjoyed every moment.

Some of the best films and even TV shows (Andy Griffin Show - aka: Sheriff Andy Taylor, Three Stooges, I love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, etc.) were also all black and white and color TV didn't reach 50 percent penetration until about 1970 so a lot of people even came to know shows like Bonanza, Carol Burnette, Sonny and Cher, and Star Trek first as black and white productions.

pubby

PS: The first Science Fiction Film ... in Black and White

Some like it hot

Bringing up Baby

It's a Wonderful Life

To Kill a Mockingbird

A Little Princess (or really any Shirley Temple movie)

My favorite representation of the great train robbery that Pubby mentions is the silent movie The General. Buster Keaton is so amusing!

There are actually some more recent ones that some people may not think about when referring to old b&w movies. Schindler's List was in black and white as well as Young Frankenstein, which is one of my favorites.

I'm one of "those" people. I don't know why? I like colors. :pardon:

That's said, I recently watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on PBS. It was creepy, but good. That Bette Davis was quite the actress. I'm sure I have seen other black and white movies in my time, but I can't remember them.

I just watched it last night. I love her old movies!!