Paulding.com

Austin, Henson, Rollins and Bookout victors in city elections

Austin, Henson victors in Dallas elections: Rollins, Bookout

Hiram Sunday sale of alcohol erased its six vote deficit to win by a 146 to 117 (55.5/44.5% margin) when the final tally was released at 8:34 p.m. today.

Dallas Mayor Boyd Austin, who trailed in early voting by a handful of votes, got his vote out today to take victory in the city of Dallas Election by a vote of 439 to 368. Turn out in the hotly contested election was 815 votes from the city's 4816 voters.

Jim Henson and Brian Ragsdale were observed out front with Ragsdale congratulating the older Henson and being instructed to put Brian on city committees. Both Henson and Ragsdale served on the city planning commission.

In Hiram, the most watched race was that of the Sunday sales of alcohol which in the early voting tabulation, trailed by six votes. By the time the final vote was tabulated though, the local option passed by a 55.5 percent margin.

Also of interest is the race between Prather "Pep" Rollins and Stephen S. Bray for council post one. Rollins was leading in the early voting by a landslide 67 votes to Bray's 41 and maintained his support in voters casting their ballots today. The final tally was Rollins 176 votes to Bray's 87 votes.

Incumbent Helena Williams went down to defeat by a vote of 197 to 72. Ms. Williams trailed in the early voting with challenger Kathy Bookout taking 76% of the early voting to Ms. Williams 23 percent. Those percentages held.

There were a handful of unopposed candidates on the ballot as well. Hiram Mayor Jack Paris, unopposed won easily as did Dallas Councilman at Large James Kelly, Jr. and ward two Dallas Councilman Michael Cason, both incumbents.

pubby

815 voters from a pool of 4816? WOW.....folks are really in tune with their local government huh?

What in the world is up with that?

I think it was a far larger turnout than in past years. People who don't go to the polls should never open their mouths about the kind of government they get.dry.gif

The Hiram results were also quite interesting. :)

The problem is that many people had no idea what they could vote for or where?

Whose fault do you think that is? Don't know how anyone could miss the campaign signs. Mrs. B, I have not seen the numbers yet on the city of Hiram. I just know

I was cheering for two of the winners. Bookout and Rollins.

Whose fault do you think that is? Don't know how anyone could miss the campaign signs. Mrs. B, I have not seen the numbers yet on the city of Hiram. I just know

I was cheering for two of the winners. Bookout and Rollins.

WOW. :unsure:

That was a bit harsh.

The confusion was statewide from what I've heard. People were generally confused about where to go, because for many, the places they usually go to vote weren't the places they needed to go to vote TODAY. And people who voted at "county" places assumed they were allowed to vote at their regular polling places, when, if they were COUNTY but outside the city limits of one of the TOWNS voting on Sunday sales, they couldn't vote.

They weren't necessarily just stupid or not paying attention. It wasn't clear in many places who could vote, or where.

That was a bit harsh.

The confusion was statewide from what I've heard. People were generally confused about where to go, because for many, the places they usually go to vote weren't the places they needed to go to vote TODAY. And people who voted at "county" places assumed they were allowed to vote at their regular polling places, when, if they were COUNTY but outside the city limits of one of the TOWNS voting on Sunday sales, they couldn't vote.

They weren't necessarily just stupid or not paying attention. It wasn't clear in many places who could vote, or where.

I really meant the question the way I asked it. Not as a slam. I knew all of those things and I could not vote in either Hiram or Dallas.

I really meant the question the way I asked it. Not as a slam. I knew all of those things and I could not vote in either Hiram or Dallas.

Ooooh...MY BAD.

YOU understood it. Everyone else should have, too.

Got it. :good:

(Not really meaning to bust your chops, but really, when it comes to voting matters, I think it's preferable to assist people rather than to ridicule them. But that's just me. **shrug**)

Ooooh...MY BAD.

YOU understood it. Everyone else should have, too.

Got it. :good:

(Not really meaning to bust your chops, but really, when it comes to voting matters, I think it's preferable to assist people rather than to ridicule them. But that's just me. **shrug**)

Still not what I meant. I would gladly have assisted anyone who asked. My point is that I did not have a dog in the fight but I did know when, where, and why there was a vote. If folks are interested they can find out too. I do believe all of the info was in the local paper. How would you have informed folks?

Still not what I meant. I would gladly have assisted anyone who asked. My point is that I did not have a dog in the fight but I did know when, where, and why there was a vote. If folks are interested they can find out too. I do believe all of the info was in the local paper. How would you have informed folks?

Well, in my case, I encountered a lot of MISINFORMATION when I tried to discover what I needed to know about this off-season election. And I heard an awful lot of reports today about people who were confused by the particulars.

What I was trying to say is that you might rethink judging everyone else's experience with voting today compared to your own. I think we should applaud that people wanted to vote, even those whose vote was different than what we cast, provided we could cast opposing votes. A Democracy doesn't exist only for those who know they vote in building A at City B between the hours of 10:00 and 11:00 am.

And today was confusing even for people who regularly vote.

Well, in my case, I encountered a lot of MISINFORMATION when I tried to discover what I needed to know about this off-season election. And I heard an awful lot of reports today about people who were confused by the particulars.

What I was trying to say is that you might rethink judging everyone else's experience with voting today compared to your own. I think we should applaud that people wanted to vote, even those whose vote was different than what we cast, provided we could cast opposing votes. A Democracy doesn't exist only for those who know they vote in building A at City B between the hours of 10:00 and 11:00 am.

And today was confusing even for people who regularly vote.

Tabby, I stand by the opinion that if you care who is in charge of the government where you live you will find out when the election is going to be held and where. Boyd has been the Mayor for 16 years and anyone who wanted to make sure he remained in that office or anyone who wanted him out of it knew enough to find the polls today. Of course that is just my opinion. You are certainly welcome to disagree.

Tabby, I stand by the opinion that if you care who is in charge of the government where you live you will find out when the election is going to be held and where. Boyd has been the Mayor for 16 years and anyone who wanted to make sure he remained in that office or anyone who wanted him out of it knew enough to find the polls today. Of course that is just my opinion. You are certainly welcome to disagree.

Oh, no!! I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to judge everyone else in the whole state based on the particulars of your local Mayoral race! :rolleyes:

(PS: I DID know where to vote today, and I ALSO voted against a long-standing local Mayor who needed to go(different city). I obviously wasn't talking about ME, or YOU. Clearly, you were.)

:wub:

Oh, no!! I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to judge everyone else in the whole state based on the particulars of your local Mayoral race! :rolleyes:

Excuse me but I do believe this thread is about that race and the Hiram race. Were you talking about other races?:search: :p

(PS: I DID know where to vote today, and I ALSO voted against a long-standing local Mayor who needed to go(different city). I obviously wasn't talking about ME, or YOU. Clearly, you were.)

:wub:

Who did win in the Powder Springs race for Mayor? Yeah, I knew about that one too. Shame on me. :blush:

Excuse me but I do believe this thread is about that race and the Hiram race. Were you talking about other races?:search: :p

Yep. I was talking about deriding voters about voter confusion statewide.

I'm sorry...I somehow thought we were engaged in the same conversation. I'm pretty certain we were. I guess it's only the same conversation up to and until I say something you can't argue with, then it's time to say, "OH LOOK! I was talking about THIS, not THAT."

;)

Have a good night. I'm happy I voted, and happy generally with how the votes are turning out, even if the voter turnout is disappointing, as usual.

:)

Who did win in the Powder Springs race for Mayor? Yeah, I knew about that one too. Shame on me. :blush:

I dunno. I'm still trying to decipher the results.

Group hug?

We can disagree and still see things the same way. It's always been true.

Yep. I was talking about deriding voters about voter confusion statewide.

I'm sorry...I somehow thought we were engaged in the same conversation. I'm pretty certain we were. I guess it's only the same conversation up to and until I say something you can't argue with, then it's time to say, "OH LOOK! I was talking about THIS, not THAT."

;)

Have a good night. I'm happy I voted, and happy generally with how the votes are turning out, even if the voter turnout is disappointing, as usual.

:)

I dunno. I'm still trying to decipher the results.

Group hug?

We can disagree and still see things the same way. It's always been true.

Pretty clear all through this thread what I was talking about. I will give you the last word though and just agree with your last statements. You are a joy to debate with and I never want to get on your bad side!:wub:

Pretty clear all through this thread what I was talking about. I will give you the last word though and just agree with your last statements. You are a joy to debate with and I never want to get on your bad side!:wub:

Ditto!

But let me just say, please, that it was pretty clear also in every post I made in response to you in this thread that I WASN'T talking simply about the local election. I think words such as "statewide" and "everyone" were pretty clear indicators that I meant something much broader. ;)

I enjoy debating with you, too! :wub:

To future debates, I raise a Sunday glass! :drinks:

Ditto!

But let me just say, please, that it was pretty clear also in every post I made in response to you in this thread that I WASN'T talking simply about the local election. I think words such as "statewide" and "everyone" were pretty clear indicators that I meant something much broader. ;)

I enjoy debating with you, too! :wub:

To future debates, I raise a Sunday glass! :drinks:

:drinks: :)

That was a bit harsh.

I just call that lazy. I live in the city of Hiram, and I wanted to vote. I went to the polling place that I had on my voter registration card, but it was apparently wrong. Only vote there when county elections are going on. So I went to the Hiram City Hall and they guided me to where I need to go to vote. If it means enough to you then a couple phone calls could have easily told you were to go. I did it by driving around, but the whole process, even going to the wrong polling location, only took 20 minutes.

I thought I didn't go to my regular voting place, but wasn't sure, so I got on he Internet and checked. I had no issues.

NJ, you are so classy. :wub: way more so than me. I totally agree with you, BTW.

RM, I just added up the people that voted on Sunday sales. But, if you count the numbers for Rollins, etc those are different. By no means scientific :lol: