Paulding.com

Tuesday's drowning incident turns fatal - 22 month-old dies

Tuesday's drowning incident turns fatal - 22 month-old dies

The 22 month old Paulding County boy has died this morning as a result of a drowning call on Cowart Dr. on Tuesday, August 23, at around 4:00 in the afternoon. The Sheriff's office reported the child had somehow managed to exit the house and was found a short time later by a family member in the family’s above ground pool. The child was unresponsive and not breathing when the emergency personnel arrived.

The child was transported by ground to WellStar Douglas Hospital and then by air to Scottish Rite. The child was removed from life support Thursday morning. Early indications continue to suggest that this is nothing more than an awful tragedy and criminal charges are not expected.

The Sheriff's release went on to give some additional information on how to prevent this kind of tragedy:

Many people have found that a great way to beat the heat is with temporary above ground pools. Local retailers sell them for about $50.00 and up. They are convenient and easy to install.

However, there are underlying risks that come with the purchase of this type of pool that parents and caregivers MUST be aware of. They can, in fact, become the center of a family’s worst nightmare should the proper precautions be overlooked. These pools average two to four feet deep. Because of their convenience, they are being put up in areas that have no fence or security locks coming from the house to the pool.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “in 2007, there were 3,443 fatal, unintentional drownings (non-boating related) in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day.”

Lack of Supervision and Barriers

Supervision by a lifeguard or designated water-watcher is important to protect young children when they are in the water, whether a pool or bathtub. However, when children are not supposed to be in the water, supervision alone isn’t enough to keep them safe.

Barriers such as pool fencing should be used to help prevent young children from gaining access to the pool area without caregivers’ awareness. There is an 83% reduction in the risk of childhood drowning with a four-sided isolation pool fence, compared to three-sided property-line fencing.

Among children ages 1 to 4 years, most drownings occur in residential swimming pools. Most young children who drowned in pools were last seen in the home, had been out of sight less than five minutes, and were in the care of one or both parents at the time. (CDC,2011)

More than one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another four received emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.

The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office wants your summer to be safe and worry free. “Make sure that temporary pools and even permanent fixture pools are safeguarded from young children in the neighborhood,” noted Paulding County Sheriff Gary Gulledge. He added that “it is also important to make sure that there is a safety barrier or lock between the house and pool!” The walls of some of the temporary pools are inflated and give very easily. Pools should only be placed in a secured area where a locking gate can be secured.

For more information please visit:

Center for disease Control (CDC) (2011). http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

So incredibly sad. I don't care how good of a parent you think you are and that it will never happen to you, just think of those times where you lost sight of your child for one brief moment and count your lucky stars that you were spared from something so horrible. I would have to be on knocked out on sedatives probably for the rest of my life. :(

• Like 1

So incredibly sad. I don't care how good of a parent you think you are and that it will never happen to you, just think of those times where you lost sight of your child for one brief moment and count your lucky stars that you were spared from something so horrible. I would have to be on knocked out on sedatives probably for the rest of my life. :(

I agree 100%.

I feel terrible about this. :(

Well said.

So very very sad. :(

Prayers for the family.

Rest in peace little angel.

Couldn't have said it better, myself. Prayers for all involved. :cray:

I agree . Prayers being said for this family