Paulding.com

Thoughts on the BOE SPLOST on the Nov 2nd Ballot?

BOE SPLOST  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How are you voting on the SPLOST?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't decided
    • Don't live in Paulding

OK, did a quick search and didn't see any comments on the School SPLOST on the ballot, so thought I'd start one.

Kim Cobb - I know you are limited in what you can say publicly on this issue, but if you can explain some of the obscure legalese, I'd appreciate it. :) It may be the only way you'll get a "YES" vote from me on it.

Here is the text off the ballot from the Ga Sec of State office for my address:

My Paulding Ballot

Referendum Approval on the Renewal of the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax

(SPLOST). For the purpose of Bonded Debt Reduction and other Educational Purposes.

(Vote for One)

"Shall a special one percent sales and use tax for educational purposes continue to be imposed in Paulding County for a period of time not to exceed 20 calendar quarters, commencing upon the expiration of the existing special one percent sales and use tax, and for the raising of not more than $90,000,000 for the purpose of ( a ) paying a portion of the principal and interest on the Paulding County School District's outstanding General Obligation Bonds, Series 2003, Series 2007 and Series 2008, coming due February 1, 2012 through and including August 1, 2016, in the maximum amount of $54,537,249.50, and (B)(i) financing capital outlays for the maintenance, renovation,

completion, construction and expansion of new and existing school facilities, and (ii) acquiring any property necessary or desirable therefore, both real and personal, the maximum cost of such projects not to exceed $35,462,750.50?"

Interesting.... lets look at the purposes...

a ) ( a ) paying a portion of the principal and interest on the Paulding County School District's outstanding General Obligation Bonds, Series 2003, Series 2007 and Series 2008, coming due February 1, 2012 through and including August 1, 2016, in the maximum amount of $54,537,249.50...

Wow, down to the last 50 cents... :lol: I actually like this idea, pay off the existing bonds quicker, reduce the bond millage rate.

Then:

( B )( i ) financing capital outlays for the maintenance, renovation,

completion, construction and expansion of new and existing school facilities,

Ok, I guess this would be used to delay having to sell the second half of the 120 million in approved bonds. Since that sale would jump the bond millage rate, I'm all for delaying it as much as possible.

But then they had to go and add this: :(

and (ii) acquiring any property necessary or desirable therefore, both real and personal, the maximum cost of such projects not to exceed $35,462,750.50?"

Say what? :o

No breakdown between building on the schools and this "acquiring of desirable personal property" So the entire $35 million can go for "acquiring of desirable personal property?" What the heck is "desirable personal property"?

The least they could have done is split this out that $25 million was going to school facilities and only $10 million to this "acquiring of desirable personal property?", but no, they lump it all together.

Sorry, this sounds a lot like a slush fund and like the state amendments, I tend to vote against anything that writes a $35 million blank check.

Kim, you and the board better have a written down explanation of just what the heck you expect to do this $35 million or you are getting a big "NO" vote from me on this.

SG

OK, did a quick search and didn't see any comments on the School SPLOST on the ballot, so thought I'd start one.

Kim Cobb - I know you are limited in what you can say publicly on this issue, but if you can explain some of the obscure legalese, I'd appreciate it. smile.gif It may be the only way you'll get a "YES" vote from me on it.

Here is the text off the ballot from the Ga Sec of State office for my address:

My Paulding Ballot

Interesting.... lets look at the purposes...

Wow, down to the last 50 cents... laugh.gif I actually like this idea, pay off the existing bonds quicker, reduce the bond millage rate.

Then:

Ok, I guess this would be used to delay having to sell the second half of the 120 million in approved bonds. Since that sale would jump the bond millage rate, I'm all for delaying it as much as possible.

But then they had to go and add this: sad.gif

Say what? ohmy.gif

No breakdown between building on the schools and this "acquiring of desirable personal property" So the entire $35 million can go for "acquiring of desirable personal property?" What the heck is "desirable personal property"?

The least they could have done is split this out that $25 million was going to school facilities and only $10 million to this "acquiring of desirable personal property?", but no, they lump it all together.

Sorry, this sounds a lot like a slush fund and like the state amendments, I tend to vote against anything that writes a $35 million blank check.

Kim, you and the board better have a written down explanation of just what the heck you expect to do this $35 million or you are getting a big "NO" vote from me on this.

SG

Yep, that is the line that gave me pause too!rolleyes.gif

The bond payments are to be made with the proceeds each year and if there are funds collected in excess of that it can be used to help with maintaining the facilities or purchasing land while values are low. It is to relieve the general fund and no new bonds planned to be sold.

The bond payments are to be made with the proceeds each year and if there are funds collected in excess of that it can be used to help with maintaining the facilities or purchasing land while values are low. It is to relieve the general fund and no new bonds planned to be sold.

Thanks Kim - that part I got and think are great ideas.

It's the vague part at the end that we're concerned about.

Thanks,

I always vote NO on anything to do with the schools. The school board throws money out the window all day long and even the principal at PCHS makes over $100,000 a year. I'd like to cut his pay and stop wasting money on pet projects before voting a tax increase on myself. My kid doesn't even have a math book this year, but they have a nice gym to play basketball in. What's wrong with that?

Please send a message to the school board and vote NO on the tax.

• Like 2

I always vote NO on anything to do with the schools. The school board throws money out the window all day long and even the principal at PCHS makes over $100,000 a year. I'd like to cut his pay and stop wasting money on pet projects before voting a tax increase on myself. My kid doesn't even have a math book this year, but they have a nice gym to play basketball in. What's wrong with that?

Please send a message to the school board and vote NO on the tax.

This splost is an attempt to relieve homeowners by reducing the bond mileage rate off your property tax That way struggling homeowners aren't paying as much and shoppers can assist with this sales tax whether they live in the county or not or rent, etc. If you notice on your tax bill the school bond mileage rate that is 2. ?? percent, this would relieve that portion.

• Like 2

This splost is an attempt to relieve homeowners by reducing the bond mileage rate off your property tax That way struggling homeowners aren't paying as much and shoppers can assist with this sales tax whether they live in the county or not or rent, etc. If you notice on your tax bill the school bond mileage rate that is 2. ?? percent, this would relieve that portion.

Kim I think what everybody is concerned about is the lack of specificity in what the money would go to. I know that five years out can cause some minor changes in plans, but after the Gym and Office debacle, folks are understandably a bit gun shy. The way it is written, it appears that all monies not going to past general obligation bonds could be used to purchase property with not even one dime going to actual capital improvements. I understand that property is cheap right now, but JMHO, we should use the lull in residential construction to get rid of trailers at existing schools first.

I don't know if you can speak to what if any properties are being looked at and what if any capital projects will be first in line, but that is the kind of information that can sell the tax. Folks are tired of just signing blank checks in Paulding, and admittedly not all of that is the Board's fault.

If there is NO new building and this goes to pay off debt or make repairs when needed I am all for it. This one is not a new SPLOST as I understand it. It is a continuation of the one that is in place now. I think it should be in writing and very clearly stated though.

If the SPLOST will be used to retire part of our property taxes, why hasn't that already been done? Basically, what I am reading is that the gov't will cut your taxes if we agree to raise our taxes with renewal of the SPLOST. I don't like my chances on that bet.

I continue to hear others' justification for the tax that the vote is simply for a continuation of an existing tax, not a new tax. That's good, but how often are we given the opportunity to directly vote for a tax cut instead of relying on the government to "give" us one as if it were doing us a favor?

These SPLOST taxes are convenient political ways for elected officials to blame taxpayers for raising taxes and take cover from the hard political ramifications of funding a budget by voting either for higher ad valorem taxes or a lower budget. As a County, we've got to give consumers a reason to come to Paulding County from outside and spend money, and a 6% tax, which would be lower than surrounding counties, would provide some incentive. There is, of course, a cost in not renewing the SPLOST and I can just hear now those who say "if we don't do it, our taxes will go up anyway" with higher property taxes. Well...at least the politicians will be held accountable.

If the SPLOST will be used to retire part of our property taxes, why hasn't that already been done?

I think the wording on the use of the SPLOST had to be changed to pay down the debt. Not 100% sure though. It has to be used exactly as it appears on the ballot. If it frees up money now spent to pay on the bond then that money could be used to pay teachers and buy supplies. I do not want to vote yes if it is not clearly stated that it will be used that way and for repairs. NO NEW BUILDING!!!

Kim I think what everybody is concerned about is the lack of specificity in what the money would go to. I know that five years out can cause some minor changes in plans, but after the Gym and Office debacle, folks are understandably a bit gun shy. The way it is written, it appears that all monies not going to past general obligation bonds could be used to purchase property with not even one dime going to actual capital improvements. I understand that property is cheap right now, but JMHO, we should use the lull in residential construction to get rid of trailers at existing schools first.

I don't know if you can speak to what if any properties are being looked at and what if any capital projects will be first in line, but that is the kind of information that can sell the tax. Folks are tired of just signing blank checks in Paulding, and admittedly not all of that is the Board's fault.

In my case, it's more of an issue with the "personal" and "desirable" adjectives being thrown in there. I'm pretty sure there are legal reasons they are there, but dang, this sounds like a license to buy just about anything the board wanted.

Check it out with the BOE lawyer if you must, but can you not get a legal explanation of why those terms are in there and what it means in "real world" speak instead of legalese?

Thanks,

SG

Well, I bet if the SPLOST is not voted in, we will be paying a lot more then the one cent. We will be paying on our

property taxes. I had rather pay one cent on my purchases, and my propeety taxes not go up. As far as buildings,

I don't think we will need anymore buildings for a while.

As far as buildings, I don't think we will need anymore buildings for a while.

Actually they are expanding at several schools this year to try to keep up. McClure had several classrooms added last year and a new wing is being added to North and PCHS is finishing up the Science/Admin building.

I talked with a county official about a year ago and was told there is still building going on in the county, it's just it's the little 150K homes that have just as many kids, but don't generate near enough tax money that are getting built.

Look at the enrollment numbers in the BOE budget presentation, they are not going down.

I don't have a problem with the SPLOST for certain projects, I *am* gun-shy about blank checks.

• Like 1

I think we all have a fear of how the SPLOST tax will be used in the past it was abused... so what will it go for now... no one has come out with a list of what will it be used for? Books possibly? New tennis courts? Another audotorium? ... Voters want to know what will it be used for..

We don't give just open end blank checks now...

Sorry guys for the short responses but I was on a much needed break with my children. As a parent, not sure about all the breaks but they are here and I am going to do my best to enjoy them with family time while I still have my kiddos at home. I know you guys know that my board seat is not a full-time position or really even "part-time." Although, my children feel that it is ALL THE TIME!!!!

The wording is due to legal regulations and if you have specific questions please address them to our school district lawyer, superintendent, and if more comfortable, your board members. Please remember that as a board member, I can not suggest how one should vote. I do however want everyone to ask questions and educate himself/herself and express the decision at the ballot box. Anticipated funds from SPLOST are sometimes not reached completely. The priority of these SPLOST funds is to pay down bond indebtedness not to spend more. If consumers are not shopping Paulding, then the funds will not be realized even if the SPLOST is renewed but at least homeowners will see some relief.

The BOE did not increase the mileage rate this year even with all the cuts we have experienced in education. That would have been something we could have voted to do but instead we are attempting to relieve the general fund and the debt by allowing citizens to vote NOT us. Did anyone notice that the BOE voted NOT to raise the school mileage rate? I am sure it would have been noticed if it was raised. Danged if you do AND danged if you don't. :clapping:

Actually they are expanding at several schools this year to try to keep up. McClure had several classrooms added last year and a new wing is being added to North and PCHS is finishing up the Science/Admin building.

I talked with a county official about a year ago and was told there is still building going on in the county, it's just it's the little 150K homes that have just as many kids, but don't generate near enough tax money that are getting built.

Look at the enrollment numbers in the BOE budget presentation, they are not going down.

I don't have a problem with the SPLOST for certain projects, I *am* gun-shy about blank checks.

I do understand and empathize with the gun-shy feeling. I sat through board meetings as a interested citizen and ask myself the same questions as to why monies were spent on certain items. That is one reason I considered serving. Some things just ???? I do feel that the board that I serve on presently does ask pertinent questions on behalf of those we represent. Please address any specifics we can speak toward and come to any meetings when possible. We do vote on any expenditures over $25,000 but expenditures that are below that amount do not require a vote but may be shared as a point of information.

Some counties are now receiving federal funds and paying for furlough days for the staff. Has the board received any new money and what are the plans. It is my understanding that each county must apply for the funds. This would certainly help the teachers and staff from facing 10 days of pay. I know of two counties at present that have helped the staff...

Well, I bet if the SPLOST is not voted in, we will be paying a lot more then the one cent. We will be paying on our

property taxes. I had rather pay one cent on my purchases, and my propeety taxes not go up. As far as buildings,

I don't think we will need anymore buildings for a while.

Surely, you don't think this is just one cent on an entire purchase, right?

In case you don't realize it, it is one cent on every dollar you spend. You buy $1 of stuff, you pay an additional $0.01 on top of the normal sales tax. You spend $100.00, you pay an extra $1.00 in addition to the regular sales tax. If you buy $100 of groceries every week for a year, your groceries cost an additional $52.00 than they would without the SPLOST.

In case you don't realize it, it is one cent on every dollar you spend. You buy $1 of stuff, you pay an additional $0.01 on top of the normal sales tax. You spend $100.00, you pay an extra $1.00 in addition to the regular sales tax. If you buy $100 of groceries every week for a year, your groceries cost an additional $52.00 than they would without the SPLOST.

Just had a thought, and I have no idea of the answer. But, does this SPLOST come into play on the taxes we pay on utilities, etc.?

Most citizens in the county feel like the BOE in the past has not used funds wisely, things were done, which most felt were not in the best instrest of the students as related to education, so folks are a little leary of another vote, they want to know were to the penny their money will be going, and this is not a bad thing... in this time of economic struggle... no longer do the masses just say take my money and do what you want, the BOE should understand this.. the fire tax another example, most citizens of this county have been burned, and are leary of any tax increase....

this should be understood..... Children still do not have text books to take home, the first grade classes have to share reading books,

high schoolers and middle schoolers have no books to take home.... I know we all are stuggling, teachers have lack of supplies, have to take furlough days(can feel the pain - happens with police etc) We all have to balance each penny, but will the BOE do this? They have not done it in the past..... they did not spend money wisely and it was never explained.....

No I am not stupid, but if it don't go in, I bet your property taxes will go up more than fifty two dollars. I am on a fixed income

and I much rather pay it a few cents at a time, than have my propeety taxes go up. Just remember if you don't spend, you don't

have to pay it.

Most citizens in the county feel like the BOE in the past has not used funds wisely, things were done, which most felt were not in the best instrest of the students as related to education, so folks are a little leary of another vote, they want to know were to the penny their money will be going, and this is not a bad thing... in this time of economic struggle... no longer do the masses just say take my money and do what you want, the BOE should understand this.. the fire tax another example, most citizens of this county have been burned, and are leary of any tax increase....

this should be understood..... Children still do not have text books to take home, the first grade classes have to share reading books,

high schoolers and middle schoolers have no books to take home.... I know we all are stuggling, teachers have lack of supplies, have to take furlough days(can feel the pain - happens with police etc) We all have to balance each penny, but will the BOE do this? They have not done it in the past..... they did not spend money wisely and it was never explained.....

Name some things that were done that was not in the best interest of the students. I believe this board and Mr. Cole have

nothing but the best interest of the students in their minds.

Name some things that were done that was not in the best interest of the students. I believe this board and Mr. Cole have

You're kidding! The entire Board needs to resign. They spend $ millions on a new gym for the kids to play basketball in, yet students don't have books? I know certain funds can only be used for capital projects, but in the grand scheme of things, folks see money being spent here and money being spent there, yet Little Susie doesn't have school books....Do you see a problem with that?

We've been burned by the BOE in the past and we're crazy if we give them more money to burn us again.

VOTE NO to giving those vultures even one penny.

Edited by Angel Eyes

Thank you. IMO Mr. Cole and my fellow board members do have the best interest of the students as a priority. It is easy for someone to hide behind a screen name and place blame. I, as well as the current board I imagine, would be more than willing to listen and address specific concerns Angel Eyes or other citizens have via email or a meeting.

AE has other agendas regarding the school board as if that is not obvious. Some cannot hide behind screen names successfully :pardon:

You're kidding! The entire Board needs to resign. They spend $ millions on a new gym for the kids to play basketball in, yet students don't have books? I know certain funds can only be used for capital projects, but in the grand scheme of things, folks see money being spent here and money being spent there, yet Little Susie doesn't have school books....Do you see a problem with that?

We've been burned by the BOE in the past and we're crazy if we give them more money to burn us again.

They are going to get it one way or another. If we don't pass SPLOST, we will pay more in property taxes.

Is it right?? No!! But the needs of our schools continue to grow, it is ever changing, ever evolving.

So you really need to step back and ask yourself, do I want everyone that spends money at Walmart, Target, Kroger, Publix or any one of numerous restaurants to help pay for schools or are the homeowners going to foot the entire bill???

Yes we need to be ever watchful on the BOE spending but be careful where your anger may lead you, you might just end up shooting yourself in the foot.

I need to ask one of the board members here, is there a plan B?? What will happen if SPLOST does not pass??

For the record, my children have not experienced an issue in having books.

I completely understand that confidence has been lost in the past. I and two other board members took office less than two years ago so please understand it is frustrating to not have confidence that WE had NO opportunity to GAIN in the first place :mellow:

Please ask your student's teacher for a book or the information being taught. If that can not be provided for parental assistance, then address concerns to the school principal. Most are suprised that if you ask for the information there is a way to resove the situation. Some items that are required by GPS are NOT in one text book. Spending money on text books that do not contain the necessary lessons can be a waste of millions.

There are curriculum specialists for the district that can answer questions and explain requirements much better than myself. Please give the teacher and principal the opportunity to address concerns with materials available to students and parents and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for being an involved parent :clapping:

Another thing we have in common :yahoo:

When my student's or I have requested materials for years, we have always been assisted. I know that everything is NOT perfect everywhere and I do care that there may be issues to resolve whether my kids or my district is involved.

I encourage parents to just get involved and ask the school for help. Give them a chance to assist :blush:

I completely understand that confidence has been lost in the past. I and two other board members took office less than two years ago so please understand it is frustrating to not have confidence that WE had NO opportunity to GAIN in the first place :mellow:

Please ask your student's teacher for a book or the information being taught. If that can not be provided for parental assistance, then address concerns to the school principal. Most are suprised that if you ask for the information there is a way to resove the situation. Some items that are required by GPS are NOT in one text book. Spending money on text books that do not contain the necessary lessons can be a waste of millions.

There are curriculum specialists for the district that can answer questions and explain requirements much better than myself. Please give the teacher and principal the opportunity to address concerns with materials available to students and parents and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for being an involved parent :clapping:

Really? Who and where are they located? I did not know that exsisted...

If you go to the District's website and click "Departments" and then select "Curriculum" and then select "Curriculum Staff" you'll be able to pick the best person to address your questions. Pretty much everybody you'd ever want to talk to is listed under their respective departments on the district website.

\

You know I have found that if you ask you can get what you need for your child. Kim is why a lot that they have

to teach is not in the book. But I grant you, the teacher can probably give you a wed site to use. Alot of the

teachers have them on their website.

Really, we had them when you worked for the school system.

Vote how ever you chose but do not blame THE ENTIRE BOARD for the gyms and the spending prior to OUR CURRENT BOARD's service. You need to look at the old board minutes and see who voted for those items. IT WAS NOT THE PRESENT BOARD. IF YOU MUST place blame, just please point the blame where it belongs that's all I ask.

Vote how ever you chose but do not blame THE ENTIRE BOARD for the gyms and the spending prior to OUR CURRENT BOARD's service. You need to look at the old board minutes and see who voted for those items. IT WAS NOT THE PRESENT BOARD. IF YOU MUST place blame, just please point the blame where it belongs that's all I ask.

What I would like to know is how Paulette Braddock voted.

• Like 1

What I would like to know is how Paulette Braddock voted.

I am staying out of ALL elections that do not involve me except for my personal vote.

You would need to ask Paulette or check the minutes for that information because I DO NOT BELIEVE IN TEARING DOWN OTHERS in order to accomplish a goal.

If I go there, please STOP ME!!!! It is not worth it.

• Like 1

Now wait a minute Kim, you know that there are some parents , if their children did not have the gyms, along with all

the other sports as the old saying goes they would have a hissy fit. I do agree that sports are important. Look at

the way they did when the middle school sports was stopped, and it worked itself out. Yes we need the gyms, just like

the football fields. baseball. softball etc. You all will never be able to please everybody. Thanks for what you do.

I am staying out of ALL elections that do not involve me except for my personal vote.

You would need to ask Paulette or check the minutes for that information because I DO NOT BELIEVE IN TEARING DOWN OTHERS in order to accomplish a goal.

If I go there, please STOP ME!!!! It is not worth it.

I understand your position on this and I am one of your supporters. Thanks for the job you are doing.

My opinion is that commenting on how a person did their job while they were working for you is stating facts. If it "tears them down" that is their fault for not doing their job.

But I do believe you have answered my question.