Paulding.com

Is Drew unconcerned about the right to trial?

where did you hear the allegation of a vast backlog of cases?

It wasn't from the clerk of the superior court. It wasn't in documentation filed with the administrative offices of the Georgia Courts; it wasn't even in a release from the District Attorney or his association.

So where did it come from? Where were you in the last election?

It is an undocumented allegation of a 64 year-old person who had to come up with something to base his campaign upon. Well, how will we do that? Post a list of the DUIs that have been dead-docketed in the last 4 years? The only folks with that info will never give it up. BTW, it was the basis for Plumley's campaign too.

There is ample evidence that the figures mentioned were 'invented,' as is the allegation that courtrooms are dark.

Fact is you are basing your assertion and belief on a campaign ad that is based, most likely, on the results of a survey of what would get the man elected.

I mean, if there is an issue in Paulding is that, according to the formula for rural judicial districts, the caseload for civil cases alone would fill every courtroom from dawn to dusk. the plain fact is that based on case load, the Paulding Judicial district should have something on the order of eight superior court judges; not three. You can't really believe the stuff you type sometimes.

If there is the bottle neck in the local courts, it is in the number of judges available to hear cases; not a lack of pursuit of justice by the sitting District Attorney. Maybe the sitting judges should know that Drew is blaming them for the problems in his office.

Oh, and the issues that confront the court today will continue to confront the court after the election. Your theory.

What few seem to recognize is that the disruption that would be caused by the election of Dick Donovan to the DA's office will likely make things worse - a lot worse. And, because he is 64, by about the time things recover, he'll be looking to retire permanently, creating a whole new wave of disruption. If that's the way you think, do you have Jerry Shearin's number in Florida? Maybe Sonny should just stay on too.

As a taxpayer interested in the efficient administration of justice, we'd all be better off letting Drew remain in office and consider hiring a younger man four years hence.

Dick, for a variety of reasons - disrespect for the first amendment, disrespect for people in general and a temperament more fitting a crotchety 84 year old - means he is just not the man for the job. We'd much prefer the guy who suggests that everyone is not entitled to a fair trial. rolleyes.gif

pubby

• Like 2

where did you hear the allegation of a vast backlog of cases?

It wasn't from the clerk of the superior court. It wasn't in documentation filed with the administrative offices of the Georgia Courts; it wasn't even in a release from the District Attorney or his association.

So where did it come from?

It is an undocumented allegation of a 64 year-old person who had to come up with something to base his campaign upon.

There is ample evidence that the figures mentioned were 'invented,' as is the allegation that courtrooms are dark.

Fact is you are basing your assertion and belief on a campaign ad that is based, most likely, on the results of a survey of what would get the man elected.

I mean, if there is an issue in Paulding is that, according to the formula for rural judicial districts, the caseload for civil cases alone would fill every courtroom from dawn to dusk. the plain fact is that based on case load, the Paulding Judicial district should have something on the order of eight superior court judges; not three.

If there is the bottle neck in the local courts, it is in the number of judges available to hear cases; not a lack of pursuit of justice by the sitting District Attorney.

Oh, and the issues that confront the court today will continue to confront the court after the election.

What few seem to recognize is that the disruption that would be caused by the election of Dick Donovan to the DA's office will likely make things worse - a lot worse. And, because he is 64, by about the time things recover, he'll be looking to retire permanently, creating a whole new wave of disruption.

As a taxpayer interested in the efficient administration of justice, we'd all be better off letting Drew remain in office and consider hiring a younger man four years hence.

Dick, for a variety of reasons - disrespect for the first amendment, disrespect for people in general and a temperament more fitting a crotchety 84 year old - means he is just not the man for the job.

pubby

Pubby, I read this forum string from the top and was still undecided on which candidate to vote for until I got to this post. You're right. Mr. Lane references the number of pending cases, the number of cases filed in 2009, and the DA office's conviction rate on his website and the stats are not provided by his opponent, but by none other than the Superior Court Clerk and the Paulding Judicial Circuit District Attorney's Office.

Let's keep in mind that Paulding is one of the fastest growing counties in the US and our county government must also grow at a similar rate. Being a government employee myself for 28 years, I can attest to the fact that governments usually lag behind when it comes to change.

I believe Mr. Lane is making progress and we should give him another term. It's not fair to him to just turn him out when part of the problem is systemic and beyond his control.

• Like 2

My first question would be why did you hire somebody that has a specialty of criminal law to handle a family law case??? Yes, he does handle some family law, but not his specialty. Sort of like going to the dentist for a heart attack--both Dr.'s, but they each have their specialty.

Even before I worked in the legal field--when I needed a child support attorney--I went for one that pretty much only did family law. Common sense.

Sorry, he shouldn't have taken the $ if he couldn't do the job. ;)

When you're emotional, scared and don't know about the legal profession, it's easy to hire someone that was recommended. He is supposedly the professional in that field, he should have referred her to someone that specialized in family matters. ;)

Sorry, he shouldn't have taken the $ if he couldn't do the job. ;)

When you're emotional, scared and don't know about the legal profession, it's easy to hire someone that was recommended. He is supposedly the professional in that field, he should have referred her to someone that specialized in family matters. ;)

I didn't know until I was served that baby-daddy wanted any sort of custody. I was completely blindsided and it was my first time hiring an attorney. I didn't know that lawyers had specialties. A lawyer is a lawyer, right?

If he wasn't familiar with family law, he should have said so. "Attorney at Law" doesn't tell me much about a lawyer.

Of course, now I'm well educated.

I didn't know until I was served that baby-daddy wanted any sort of custody. I was completely blindsided and it was my first time hiring an attorney. I didn't know that lawyers had specialties. A lawyer is a lawyer, right?

If he wasn't familiar with family law, he should have said so. "Attorney at Law" doesn't tell me much about a lawyer.

Of course, now I'm well educated.

Love the "baby-daddy" part. Such an educated statement.

So your only rebuttal is a personal attack on WFAL? She evidently has a college education as she is a teacher and that in my book is admirable.

Edited by Beach Bum

I have 3 college degrees----2 of which I earned as a single mother. I've been "interviewing" schools in order to decide where I want to start my doctoral studies. I am VERY educated, though I am often a poor speller and maybe a little off the cuff with my remarks. "Baby-daddy" is a very nice term for how I feel about the man.

I also believe that "classy" would have been a better word to use rather than "educated."

I've never claimed class. :pardon:

Pubby---I do have to disagree with you.

MOST DA's or ADA's either have done criminal defense work prior to going to the DA's office or they do it after.

Most criminal defense attorneys that I know have worked in the DA's office as a prosecuter and they then go to private practice.

A lot of ADA's are right out of law school.

My thoughts exactly! How unfair to fault him because he was a defense attorney. What other kind of attorney could he be?????? The fact that he has been on both sides of the defense works so much more in his favor than someone who hasn't done any criminal work. He is more than likely going to have a leg up when he comes up against a criminal case. Plus, I feel that Dick will be a more hands on DA than the previous.....

Our DA's office is a mess. I served on a jury this year and it seemed like to me that the ADA just picked the file up before he came into court. He didn't even know the victims name without referring to his notes. It was pathetic!!!!! I felt so bad for the victims family....the DA's lost that case for the victim.

I have 3 college degrees----2 of which I earned as a single mother. I've been "interviewing" schools in order to decide where I want to start my doctoral studies. I am VERY educated, though I am often a poor speller and maybe a little off the cuff with my remarks. "Baby-daddy" is a very nice term for how I feel about the man.

I also believe that "classy" would have been a better word to use rather than "educated."

I've never claimed class. pardon.gif

Well I like the way you write. Very entertaining and lively!smile.gif good.gif

In his Paulding.com ad Drew Lane states that Donovan spent "31 years keeping criminals off the streets".

The right to a fair trial belongs to each and every American. That's the role of a defense attorney, assuring the defendant gets a fair trial. Is Drew disregarding that right? If it's true that Donovan has kept criminals off the streets for 31 years then that means someone on the prosecution side didn't properly to their job.

Madea do you need some advil? or maybe you need some nookieblink.gif

My point exactly.

Well this is "my point exactly". WFAL hired him to do a job, she was dissatisfied with his services, she voiced her opinon here on p.com (which we all are allowed to do by the way), and Mr. Donovan chose to deal with it in a very unprofessional manner (my opinion).

You have to remember that WFAL is not the one running for public office, Mr. Donovan is, therefore the level of public scrutiny that Mr. Donovan is subject to is obviously much greater than WFAL. WFAL is simply informing the p.com "listening base" of her experience and opinion on a person who is running for public office.

As I have many times been reminded here on p.com and elsewhere, when you run for public office, you open up the opportunity for any negative issues surrounding you, your family and everyone associated with you - be it good, bad or indifferent, that is just the way it is.

Truly, regardless of who wins this race and I believe Donovan will (only by default). Regardless, I feel he treated WFAL here on p.com in a very unprofessional manner (my opinion, of course and I am entitled to it). Hubby and I only live half our life in Paulding County, Georgia and live the other half at our home in Mexico Beach, FL so Paulding County is important to me, but only half as important as it used to be. :lol:

Edited by Beach Bum
  • Like 1

Well this is "my point exactly". WFAL hired him to do a job, she was dissatisfied with his services, she voiced her opinon here on p.com (which we all are allowed to do by the way), and Mr. Donovan chose to deal with it in a very unprofessional manner (my opinion).

You have to remember that WFAL is not the one running for public office, Mr. Donovan is, therefore the level of public scrutiny that Mr. Donovan is subject to is obviously much greater than WFAL. WFAL is simply informing the p.com "listening base" of her experience and opinion on a person who is running for public office.

As I have many times been reminded here on p.com and elsewhere, when you run for public office, you open up the opportunity for any negative issues surrounding you, your family and everyone associated with you - be it good, bad or indifferent, that is just the way it is.

Truly, regardless of who wins this race and I believe Donovan will (only by default). Regardless, I feel he treated WFAL very, very unprofessionally (my opinion, of course and I am entitled to it). Hubby and I only live half our life in Paulding County, Georgia and live the other half at our home in Mexico Beach, FL so Paulding County is important to me, but only half as important as it used to be. :lol:

I don't think I ever approved of what he said. Did I support him in this election--YES.

You can never please everybody--even clients. Even if you go into a case that you know is a strong case--a jury can turn it upside down.

As far as what happened in this case---we really have no idea--we weren't there. I am just remembering all the post several years back, even before the child was born, and you knew then that it was going to be an ugly situation.

Anyway--we will now have someone new in the office. Hopefully there will be some major improvements. If not, there is another election in 4 years.

The whole county government will have to work at getting these cases to Court. Not just the DA can do it. There will probably need to be more frequent court dates and such to make an impact.

• Like 1

I don't think I ever approved of what he said. Did I support him in this election--YES.

You can never please everybody--even clients. Even if you go into a case that you know is a strong case--a jury can turn it upside down.

As far as what happened in this case---we really have no idea--we weren't there. I am just remembering all the post several years back, even before the child was born, and you knew then that it was going to be an ugly situation.

Anyway--we will now have someone new in the office. Hopefully there will be some major improvements. If not, there is another election in 4 years.

The whole county government will have to work at getting these cases to Court. Not just the DA can do it. There will probably need to be more frequent court dates and such to make an impact.

I understand that - I became a paralegal right out of college and have been most of my adult life which is about 30 years now.

I will support (as always) anyone who is elected into public office until they give me reason to do otherwise.

I always feel for the candidate who wasn't successful after the polls have closed. I hope the former DA has a good position waiting on him and a bright future and I hope I don't have to eat my words of support for the winner. Only time will tell.

I think I have lost my taste for political discussions. They always seem to bring out the worst in people, including myself.

I always feel for the candidate who wasn't successful after the polls have closed. I hope the former DA has a good position waiting on him and a bright future and I hope I don't have to eat my words of support for the winner. Only time will tell.

I think I have lost my taste for political discussions. They always seem to bring out the worst in people, including myself.

:drinks: I truly hope Mr. Donovan does the job he needs to do. I hope I have been completely wrong about him.

Deadeye, make Paulding proud. :)

Madea do you need some advil? or maybe you need some nookieblink.gif

That was rude.

The only thing I asked for was a DA who would move the cases. I'm going to trust that Mr. Donovan does that. If he doesn't, I'll let you know in 4 years.

Congratulations Dick Donovan!

You guys/gals in Paulding did right by electing Dick to DA. He fought the good fight 4 years ago, lost by 11 votes. Fast forward to today, he won by a 1000+ votes. Clearly there is a shift in who the voters in Paulding want in the DA's office.

Dick is NOT a politician, but a believer in the justice system and will serve the county well.

Things are looking up in PC!

-Funk

Edited by CFunK
  • Like 2
Guest Hi~ho Silver

Things are looking up in PC!

I don't think so and I hope, for Paulding County, I'm wrong. Yesterday (IMHO) was a dark day for the County, with the actions of the BOC and the DA's race. Actions that will directly affect every citizen. If I can ever sell my house, I'll leave the mess with you. The economy isn't going to get better, any time soon. It will be interesting to see where things are a year from now.

I don't think so and I hope, for Paulding County, I'm wrong. Yesterday (IMHO) was a dark day for the County, with the actions of the BOC and the DA's race. Actions that will directly affect every citizen. If I can ever sell my house, I'll leave the mess with you. The economy isn't going to get better, any time soon. It will be interesting to see where things are a year from now.

My sentiments exactly as out County is pretty much controlled now by Real Estate Brokers/Developers, etc... Hopefully their actions will bring jobs to the community and those of us wantingto get out can get out (sell our house) before the housing boom starts back up....

My sentiments exactly as out County is pretty much controlled now by Real Estate Brokers/Developers, etc... Hopefully their actions will bring jobs to the community and those of us wantingto get out can get out (sell our house) before the housing boom starts back up....

Who the heck do you think controlled it when Jerry was in office? You want some names? If you know anything about Paulding County you should know who called all the shots until almost 3 years ago.

Who the heck do you think controlled it when Jerry was in office? You want some names? If you know anything about Paulding County you should know who called all the shots until almost 3 years ago.

Nothing has changed. Just another set of faces wanting a piece of the taxpayer's pie.. LOL!

• Like 1

Granted, not all of the campaign disclosure reports are in, but I know there was little to NO RBMD money on Austin or Graham 2 years ago, not on Barnett or Pownall yesterday.

Now go back and take a look at Shearin's reports, along with Kirby and Echols, and it is no big deal to follow the money. Then go an look at which developers were bringing up High Density Projects which were all rubber stamped and approved.....under Shearin's administration.

That has not been the case the past 18 months with Austin.

Granted, we have enough re-zoned graded lots ready to build on to last us for probably 20 years, or longer.

I know Austin and Graham, and now add Barnett and Pownall to that list, have some solid concrete plans for initiating economic development to do what it takes to bring industry and jobs to Paulding.

I am just sorry with our current Single Party system here, that we have to wait for another 4-1/2 months for Barnett and Pownall to take office and get started with their work.

After seeing the results of the DA's race, I pray that I am never a victim of crime in Paulding County because I won't be able to depend on Dick to give me justice. I am looking forward to moving away ASAP. This used to be a nice place to live but no longer.

Paulding County got exactly what they deserved---Dick!!

• Like 1

After seeing the results of the DA's race, I pray that I am never a victim of crime in Paulding County because I won't be able to depend on Dick to give me justice. I am looking forward to moving away ASAP. This used to be a nice place to live but no longer.

BYE

I hope the first thing Donovan does is clean house with some of those worthless ADA's that are currently in there. They are an embarrassment to this county.

I agree completely!!!

I am sure that there are some that started sending out resume's yesterday!!!!

I think Dick will do a great job. It will be interesting to watch! Dick casts a tall shadow.

I know someone charged in Paulding with a felony. It took right at 2 years for the case to come up for trial. Charges were dropped.

2 years is actually fast in Paulding under the Lane leadership, however, it is VERY RARE for a felony charge to be dropped. Sounds fishy to me????

2 years is actually fast in Paulding under the Lane leadership, however, it is VERY RARE for a felony charge to be dropped. Sounds fishy to me????

Not really, started out as misdemeanor, got bumped it up to a felony due to the way the evidence was presented.

Edited by fastpitchmom