Paulding.com

Capitalizing on Paulding's Airport ? Yes, No, Maybe

I see the Bru-ha-ha over the arrangement between the Airport Authority and Propeller Investments as really 3 or 4 separate topic threads for p.com

1] For those absolutely Anti-Airport

Its here. We all know what motivated the jerkwad asshats who initiated the project and after failing at getting the citizens to issue bonds, went and did it anyway. The pitiful part is most of those who wanted to have their own backyard airport to keep their toys at, .....no longer have their toys.

And it is costing us money to simply keep it open.

There are many types of aircraft that can and will operate from the Silver Comet, and very few of them are going to be near as bothersome as a LifeFlight Helicopter going overhead.

Go and study the maps. And stop to consider most planes will be taking off and landing East to West. Into the prevailing winds.

Also, when taking off, the pilot wants that plane as high as he can get it, in as short a period of time as possible, generally in the neighborhood of 45 degrees. So when he is 1 mile from the end of the runway, he is also 1 mile high.

There are a handful of homes between the runways and Goldmine and Hulseytown.. Sorry those folks have to deal with the NIMBY. But really, everything else is not going to be bothered much by increased in daily landings and take offs. We are NOT talking a Hartsfield or really even McCollum or Brisco. The Silver Comet will never have the potential to be that large.

There is no way for them to extend the runway much more than 7500 feet total.....and that's going to be awfully expensive, and for what reason?

Cargo, Charters, and Puddle Jumper Commercials along with the private planes will be about it. And for the most part, will be dawn to dusk sort of traffic.

I had a close friend that flew for Phoenix Air out of Cartersville, which was kind of a charter freight company, flying stuff for the military, hospitals, and other industtries willing to pay whatever it took to get a box from here to some small airfield 150 to 500 miles away.

This will generate revenue for buildings, ground personnel, loading/unloading, etc. And I just can't foresee that many flights a day.

Charters for package vacations like Cancun, and other Carribbean Destinations. But again, at most 4 or 5 day.

2] For those OK, with the airport being here, but not expanding the operations around it, ...."Why not?"

Again, its not so much the air traffic as the potential jobs. Companies to service planes based elsewhere, customizing, equipment manufacturers for various instruments who have to do the installs and testing, engine replacements, overhauls, etc.

And take a few minutes to check out Propeller Investments. Their Managing Board and Advisory Board reads like a Who's Who of the Aeronatucial industry. Commercial Airlines, Freight, Special Freight, Charters, Legal, Finance, etc. There is an Ex-Delta COO on it.

They appear to be a first class well financed operation who have been around awhile and make their money exploring and developing niche markets that the Big Commercials like Delta, and big freight like Fedex, DON't want. Not every business plan works the same.

3] How the Airport Authority AND the Board of Commissioners went about doing this deal,.,,,,,,,

Now that's the rub.

As I recall, the BOC, possibly while Shearin was still in office, got Richardson to pass a bill [while he was THE MAN under the Dome] creating the Airport Authority and some other Technical Authority[ies]. I would think the Powers of these Boards need to have a SERIOUS review under a microscope, and be amended as necessary.

If indeed the AA did this all on their own, with no BoC approval required, then I think thats a bad, bad situation waiting to get even worse down the road..

That's alot of power in a limited number of hands, with no oversite, and they have now shown themselves to be more than capable of being Sneaky, Snarky, and underhanded. In my experience, that opens the door to abuse and corruption. Why take the chance?

Fix it Chairman Austin, and soon.

But the real SHAME, again In My Humble Opinion, is the Chairman and 3 post commissioners keeping Todd Pownall in the dark.

And they can deny this all they want....if the entire commission was doing its job on this, they would have been reviewing the progress of the AA, the IBA and the Economic Development on this deal with Propeller at EVERY Executive Session the Board of Commissioners had since the first contacts with Propeller what, ??, almost a year ago ?.

To keep this away from Todd, and his constituents has deprived and denied 25% of the citizens/taxpayers/voters of the county of their RIGHT to fair representation in Paulding County Government. And NIMBY or Not, the Airport is in Todd's district and shoving this down the throats, with NOT a single meeting to even attempt to discuss this joint venture seems awfully Dictatorial of David Austin and the other 3 commissioners IF they were all aware.

Its been evident David Austin, and some of the other commissioners are upset with Todd Pownall, and it appears it is because he refuses to Salute, zip his mouth, shut up and sit down. Instead he questions, probes, and tries to find out some of the "What If?" answers.

Seems this might have gone down a whole lot better had EVERY Commissioner been aware, and kept the pending transactions quiet, I assume at Propeller's request.

Hammer out a "Tentative" Deal,,,,,and then sell it to the people with some well planned PR. Dayam David, even Shearin was pretty good at doing that.

Worst Case Scenario is some heated arguments, with everything out in the public eye. Maybe a Town Hall meeting or2 or 3 with several of Propeller's Board members present to lend credibility and answer direct questions yes or no. And then possibly a nasty heated discussion at a BOC Meeting where they then vote. Had it gone down like this, instead of the Sneaky Snarky under the table, it would all be transparent, and obviously the BoC would have voted 4 to 1 to approve it, and the Airport Authority then sign the contracts and move forward.

It would be prudent, and even kind of nice, if Chairman Austin, Blake Swafford, and some others came on p.com and fielded questions, providing answers. If that's going to get too hot for them in the kitchen, then they need to find other employment as they do work for, and owe the citizens, taxpayers and voters explanations and answers to questions concerning their quality of life AND reasonable economic development.

And even though its a done deal, some town hall meetings would be nice to let us know, what are we looking at. Like Shearin did with the Airport when they started the project, get the citizens involved, let them ask questions, and assuming you can tell the truth while moving your lips, give honest answers.

Had that been done a few months ago, ....you know, a meeting with 40 folks or so, with a presentation by Propeller of EXACTLY what they are proposing to operate. Pictures of the typical planes involved, industries, markets, etc.

Hopefully, we can get ONE of our Representatives to bring up with the legislature next session on amending our Airport Authority's Power. 3 elected officials on it, and all the rest appointed non-eclected officials.

Just seems like the Guinea Hens hiring Foxes to look after the Hen House and the Chicken Coop.

• Like 1

I have quite a few questions myself.

We can start with Mr. Pownell.

First and foremost we assume that the secrecy was absolutely necessary.

I might have had my doubts until I saw the way Delta and the mayor of Atlanta reacted. They would have moved against it early in the process and had it killed before the contracts could be written.

It seems Delta does not tolerate competition.

Would Mr. Pownell kept it secret like the rest and risk the anger of his constituents?

Would he have told his constituents and killed the deal?

I ask myself why would the commissioners have kept it secret? For those not in the loop we have elections for post commissioners next year.

The dividing line will be who supports the chairman and who does not.

They know what is up, so they knew this would be unpopular.

It looks as though Mr.Pownell dodged a bullet here. He came out smelling like a rose to his constituents.

So why take the risk. I am open to any suggestions of personal gain to the remaining commissioners because I can't find any.

The motivation of the IBA is always transparent, they all for the most part are businessmen and every business benefits with economic growth.

I did some research, we all know about furloughs and expenses within the county.

How do you measure the true economic status of the community.

First I looked at unemployment, we are at 8%.

About average.

I didn't feel the foreclosure rate was as significant as it could be because people were walking away due to being upside down also.

I could not find 2013 rates for those on assistance.

I did however find a number that I felt was significant when looking at the economic position of our families, 80% of which drive out of the county to work.

How well are they keeping up with the cost of living, I found the answer within our school system.

47% of the children in our school system receive free or reduced lunch.

While foodstamp numbers tell us about absolute poverty, this number tells us about the duress that working families are under here.

We have no way of knowing how many families are making ends meet through churches and organizations like helping hands.

The more I thought about this issue the more upset I became. I know families here are struggling. I know of a lot of businesses that have closed their doors with families that mortgaged their homes to try and make it.

These people don't care about political games, they are trying to survive.

We tried hobbyist,flight school, it is not paying the bills for anyone.

No matter what is done someone will have issues for political reasons.

Every county around us has industry and every single time we try to get it here a handful stop it.

If it would have been announced that a Red Lobster was coming every news site in the area would have blown up with thrilled people and shares on facebook. With 47% of our kids in Paulding on free and reduced lunch a Red Lobster seems pretty damn shallow.

Those small jets might sound like cha ching to some struggling families and businesses in this county.

It is about the money at the end of the day. I hope that our commissioners will continue to commit political suicide for our families right up until they are booted out.

I really don't care about the petty politics, I care about families.

1. What makes you think that propeller will hire anyone from Paulding county? I doubt

if there is anything in the contract that says they have to hire locally.

2. If you think the people that are living on food stamps and hand outs are going

to land a job servicing jets or doing anything technical at the airport, you need

to wake up and smell the roses. If we had put the amount of money that went to

the airport project in schools some of these people could have jobs.

3. Just how quick do you think there will be jobs? There is a airport

in Cartersville, and I haven't seen any industry near it yet after the 30+

years I have lived here.

4. The furloughs are because of the court house that was also passed without any

input from the people in the county, and because of the money spent on the airport.

• Like 1

1. What makes you think that propeller will hire anyone from Paulding county? I doubt

2. If you think the people that are living on food stamps and hand outs are going

to land a job servicing jets or doing anything technical at the airport, you need

years I have lived here.

4. The furloughs are because of the court house that was also passed without any

input from the people in the county, and because of the money spent on the airport.

Great observations, thank you.

I could be wrong but....... saying Mr. Pownall was intentionally kept in the dark probably isn't helping anyone.

David Austin was not being truthful regarding the emails.

Check out this link

http://ponytailpatri...paulding-county

Everyone needs to check out the last (third) email from Swafford to Poweall. It verifies all of Poweall's claim's to being left in the dark on the airport issue.

The AA (in the know) had been working on the deal since November of *last* year. Undercover. Use all the "secrecy excuses" you need "to make the deal happen."

Poweall get's a 15 minute "lunch" meeting e-invite on October 8th from Swafford?

The BOC/counties own lawyer's says there were *no* emails among the overall BOC regarding the airport.

Austin = LIAR.

(And this isn't the first time. For him or Swafford.)

• Like 3

We are not looking for propeller to grow into a huge carrier here. We are looking for a company that can pay the bills and attract manufacturing not more commercial flights.

I am insulted that you claim the 47% of our students parents are deadbeats. These are people that are struggling against a very high cost of living trying to make ends meet.

Again we are targeting manufacturing. By the way a lot of our people do have the training for those jobs, they are already working at Hartsfield.

The airport is here, why keep going back to the same old if they had not built it.

years I have lived here.

Cartersville is covered up in manufacturing and the small corporate jets used by those people are in and out of that airport all the time.

Rehashing everything from the old administration. We don't have the luxury of doing nothing unless you want to pay higher property taxes.

It cost us the taxpayers to take of a bedroom community. Schools, roads, emergency services the price goes up every year.

It is just crazy to sit here and have a conversation that is anti job growth after what we and the country are going through.

I 2010 our unemployment was almost 15% some of those families are still trying to catch up and some never will because they were forced to take jobs in Paulding.

As far as the courthouse goes it's like saying I would not have bought that new car if I had known I was going to be laid off next year.

The courthouse was not outlandish when you looked at the rate of growth we were experiencing. If we do nothing in case the economy goes bad we will never do anything.

I am sickened by these developments.

I'm almost sure David Austin is quoted during the Commissioners meeting saying Todd did not respond to emails and phone messages from Blake, while David is waving the supposedly damning email or letter.

Clearly the emails attached in this topic show Todd did respond to an email invitation by declining the invitation due to an already booked calendar and Blake confirmed Todd's response. Blake's email also hints that Todd is in the dark. Now the county attorney confirms there is no data available showing confirmation Todd was in the loop.

I have talked with David Austin. I have not spoken with Todd in several weeks. When Todd and I do talk about a personal business matter this next week I expect I will bring up the same comments I made to David... "our current state of affairs locally and on the federal level, I am sickened with both".

While I support development at the airport and on the west side of the county, I am extremely disappointed the people in this area have no representation. I am also extremely concerned with the possible legal expenses I expect we will face soon protecting ourselves from Atlanta & Delta. I'm expecting this will be a case again where we say "who won?... The lawyers".

Hopefully this multi-decade agreement has lauguage that protects us from legal expenses and punative damages if we fail to deliver on our promises due to legal implications.

• Like 1

Great observations, thank you.

I could be wrong but....... saying Mr. Pownall was intentionally kept in the dark probably isn't helping anyone.

It helps Todd, he did not have to make any unpopular decisions unless you include the yes vote for the bonds on this project.

It helps Todd, he did not have to make any unpopular decisions unless you include the yes vote for the bonds on this project.

Aren't they voting on the bonds Tuesday?? Are there more bonds than the 3.6 mil or the 4.8 million bonds on the agenda Tuesday??

Are you trying to say Todd voted yes for bonds on things he knew nothing about?

• Like 1

... The courthouse was not outlandish when you looked at the rate of growth we were experiencing. If we do nothing in case the economy goes bad we will never do anything.

Surpringly I have agreed with you many times recently. But on the Court House Complex I totally disagree with you. $65,000,000.00 was outlandish before ground was broken.

I suggested a plan to buy property around the original downtown complex, teardown several old buildings and houses, reroute 2 streets, build a new courthouse, build a connected parking deck with covered walk ways to all buildings and remodel the 3 existing buildings for no more than $40,000,000.00. I could never get past Pat Crook to offer my proposal. I even tried to talk to Jerry Shearin in public and cound not get the time of day.

Several things I would like to draw your attention too;

• The new complex's quality is very lacking compared to other buildings in the region costing similar amounts. Walk the Douglasville Court House then ours and make your own notes about quality.

• The new complex is laid out to offer curb side access to Jerry Shearins buddies while the commoners have the same (or longer) distance to walk as in the downtown location. Walk yourself and count people in the curb side offices against all other departments. Renew a tag then get a court document and compare your own steps to performing the same steps in the old complex.

• I forecast the downtown Admin Building / Wynn Building will be required to be torn down within 5 years if the college does not start maintaining the building we gifted to them. Ride by and see the exterior trim starting to fall off for yourself.

Surpringly I have agreed with you many times recently. But on the Court House Complex I totally disagree with you. $65,000,000.00 was outlandish before ground was broken.

I suggested a plan to buy property around the original downtown complex, teardown several old buildings and houses, reroute 2 streets, build a new courthouse, build a connected parking deck with covered walk ways to all buildings and remodel the 3 existing buildings for no more than $40,000,000.00. I could never get past Pat Crook to offer my proposal. I even tried to talk to Jerry Shearin in public and cound not get the time of day.

• The new complex's quality is very lacking compared to other buildings in the region costing similar amounts. Walk the Douglasville Court House then ours and make your own notes about quality.

• The new complex is laid out to offer curb side access to Jerry Shearins buddies while the commoners have the same (or longer) distance to walk as in the downtown location. Walk yourself and count people in the curb side offices against all other departments. Renew a tag then get a court document and compare your own steps to performing the same steps in the old complex.

• I forecast the downtown Admin Building / Wynn Building will be required to be torn down within 5 years if the college does not start maintaining the building we gifted to them. Ride by and see the exterior trim starting to fall off for yourself.

:good:

I agree with this entire post, especially the bolded part. With the exception of the clock tower that is purely aesthetic, the courthouse looks like something out of the 60s. It is boring and cold.

As far as I am concerned the only reason people are angry is because secrecy stopped any chance of derailing this deal.

When you drive down 278 recognize that much of what you see there was kept a secret sometimes up to a year until the paper work was signed and that is going to be true for every new industry and manufacturing we see.

As far as I am concerned it is a division between pro-growth/jobs and the I like it the way it is.

Nobody was directly lied to, they simply were not told about a deal in the works. It is hard to figure out who is who, the anti airport and the you lied folks because both are accomplishing the goals of anti Austin administration and anti airport.

Who is going to stand up for the people that want to see the airport commercially viable and the growth of the local economy.

I don't have a problem with the airport deal, I am willing to give everything a chance. Business is about risk, there is a chance that anything the IBA does could fail. There is no such thing as success without failure.

Everyone of our Commissioners have run their own businesses and understand this.

If it weren't for the risk takers nobody reading this would have a job.

There task for this county is recovery, not starting from scratch but making the best of years of bad decisions and dealing with a massive amount of distrust when it comes to citizens.

None of those commissioners will personally benefit from what they did which was to guard a secret for a year from Delta and Mayor Reed.

Had it not required secrecy everyone of them would have still voted to pass the bonds for this, just as Todd did.

You have the opportunity next year to vote in people that will concentrate on using your tax dollars to pay for nothing but county business, do away with furloughs and decide what your millage rate will be.

They will decide were to build the new schools, fire stations ect. They know where the money comes from and if you are struggling to pay your bills and taxes, it really in not their problem they simply have to keep the government in the black with your tax dollars.

I know that my opinion is unpopular right now.

I have a vision of our community for the future and I watch to see if what they are doing is inline with that.

I want to see 10's of 1000's of jobs here with above average wages. I want to see prosperous families. I want to see opportunity for home grown entrepreneurs here.

I don't see selfish decisions being made that only benefit a minority.

Every decision is about jobs for our people.

They know what their goal is and every decision is measured against that yard stick.

The goal is not for this to remain a bedroom community where the local government is the largest employer and is sustained by taxing the residents.

We already have 10's of thousands of jobs here, the growth in the wage retail, restaurant sector grows every day. You never hear a single complaint about that growth. At some point 278 east is going to have every inch right up to the city of Atlanta packed with low wage earners, doesn't bother people in the least. Industry with good paying jobs on West 278 causes an uproar.

The commissioners can surprise me with large manufacturing companies out there anytime they want, I don't care if they keep it secret for 2 years.

Every business that locates out at that airport is going to cause an uproar by those that hate the airport.

We are making the choice to either grow the economy with our tax dollars or grow the local government with them.

I know where I stand and that is with the IBA I want manufacturing and economic growth.

• Like 2

I hope they put a large manufacturing site with a lot of traffic and a lot of pollution and waste and noise right next to where you live.

Then tell me how you like it. I moved here over 30 years ago to get away from that kind of mess. Try driving down 278 in

Hiram in rush hour or even just normal times. I go to Rockmart now so I don't have to go to Hiram.

• Like 1

I hope they put a large manufacturing site with a lot of traffic and a lot of pollution and waste and noise right next to where you live.

Then tell me how you like it. I moved here over 30 years ago to get away from that kind of mess. Try driving down 278 in

Hiram in rush hour or even just normal times. I go to Rockmart now so I don't have to go to Hiram.

Me too!! Polk & Floyd County gets lots of my money these days.

What part about not telling the WHOLE truth is not a lie? No mom, I did not break that today!! hehehe (I broke it yesterday)

We're upset because for 30 years we've been told, "IT WILL BRING JOBS, GOOD PAYING JOBS", they lied then and they are lying now. Just like the airport wasn't going to cost us a DIME!! FAA money was building it and it would pay for itself!!

Now we're hearing, "We have to do something, it's costing the taxpayers a lot of money". It's here, why not inconvenience the West Side of the county like we did the East side. Who cares about those people. There aren't enough of them to really make a difference.............

It gets old, the GOB network is alive and well.

Who has read that lease with Silver Comet LLC? It would behoove you to read it.

Now I want to know where Propeller Investments has had a successful endeavor.

LPPT, you do realize we are still in a deep recession, there just aren't a whole bunch of people with the money to move businesses to Paulding County. And those passengers that will be landing here, where exactly are they going to go and HOW are they going to get there?

Same Sh*t Different Day. While those Good Ole Boys get richer and richer with more and more playgrounds at the taxpayer expense. Remember all those subdivisions Jerry and his crew approved voted him out of office. This is not the same Paulding County it was 10 years ago, people are fed up with the Good Ole Boys.

Edited by tundra

Why does this decision effect industrial growth at the airport unless it is the insinuation that nothing any Paulding commissioners decide to do is right.

A lot of our county buildings were in bad shape, the old BOE is in horrible shape, it looks like a broken down pre-fab. When you expect to collect taxes on 1000's of homes that cost over 250,000 thousands it looks like a good time to repair or replace. You have to take every decision into the context it was made.

Nobody points out the money that was saved on the library and fire station when this administration took over.

Most of the people have no vision for this community because 80% of them work outside of it. They only want convenient shopping and restaurants. This county had been in a sharp downward spiral up until about 2008, it started turning around with the new commission.

This is nothing but politics that frames everything in a bad light to further a group of people's political ambitions.

The yard stick is does it benefit the majority of residents and just a minority.

This measures up as a minority that hates that airport and wants it to fail.

Since the election last year there has been criticism of everything this commission does.

Nobody was directly lied to, they simply were not told about a deal in the works.

None of those commissioners will personally benefit from what they did which was to guard a secret for a year from Delta and Mayor Reed.

I don't see selfish decisions being made that only benefit a minority.

Every decision is about jobs for our people.

Laura, Each one of the above-mentioned statements are laughable.

1st. In the video of the heated exchange between David Austin and Todd Pownall, Mr. Austin said Todd was notified of the deal. Ding Ding Ding. Lie #1

2nd. Are you serious when you say the 4 commissioners won't personally benefit? Ever heard of campaign contributions? I suspect each of the 4 airport support will benefit immensely. Lie #2

3rd. Selfish? The airport only benefits very few well connected individuals. Former Speaker Richardson worked out a deal at the state level to ram this airport up our nose even though Paulding County voters turned it down. The chairman must think it's selfish for homeowners near the airport wanting peace and tranquility. If a 737 was flying over your house, you'd sing a different tune. Bottom line is not only was the public kept in the dark about a secret deal, the district commissioner was intentionally kept in the dark. This is Business as usual in good ol' boy (Austin) County. ... I'm surprised they haven't tried to change our name from Paulding County to Austin County seeing how the Austin family treats the public like they are royalty and the rest of us are peons.

• Like 3

Aren't they voting on the bonds Tuesday?? Are there more bonds than the 3.6 mil or the 4.8 million bonds on the agenda Tuesday??

Are you trying to say Todd voted yes for bonds on things he knew nothing about?

Bueler? Anyone?? What are the bonds they are voting on Tuesday?? You know the 7 million + bonds??

Laura, Each one of the above-mentioned statements are laughable.

1st. In the video of the heated exchange between David Austin and Todd Pownall, Mr. Austin said Todd was notified of the deal. Ding Ding Ding. Lie #1

2nd. Are you serious when you say the 4 commissioners won't personally benefit? Ever heard of campaign contributions? I suspect each of the 4 airport support will benefit immensely. Lie #2

3rd. Selfish? The airport only benefits very few well connected individuals. Former Speaker Richardson worked out a deal at the state level to ram this airport up our nose even though Paulding County voters turned it down. The chairman must think it's selfish for homeowners near the airport wanting peace and tranquility. If a 737 was flying over your house, you'd sing a different tune. Bottom line is not only was the public kept in the dark about a secret deal, the district commissioner was intentionally kept in the dark. This is Business as usual in good ol' boy (Austin) County. ... I'm surprised they haven't tried to change our name from Paulding County to Austin County seeing how the Austin family treats the public like they are royalty and the rest of us are peons.

I don't agree with any of that except that Todd was kept in the dark.

It looks as though he was done a favor politically by doing it.

There is no way to keep the rich and powerful from benefiting, you just exchange one set of rich and powerful.

I don't approve of everything, but I know I approve of economic development. If anything I am negative on the park in front of the courthouse, I am not into tax money going into more of those type things.

What part about not telling the WHOLE truth is not a lie? No mom, I did not break that today!! hehehe (I broke it yesterday)

We're upset because for 30 years we've been told, "IT WILL BRING JOBS, GOOD PAYING JOBS", they lied then and they are lying now. Just like the airport wasn't going to cost us a DIME!! FAA money was building it and it would pay for itself!!

Now we're hearing, "We have to do something, it's costing the taxpayers a lot of money". It's here, why not inconvenience the West Side of the county like we did the East side. Who cares about those people. There aren't enough of them to really make a difference.............

LPPT, you do realize we are still in a deep recession, there just aren't a whole bunch of people with the money to move businesses to Paulding County. And those passengers that will be landing here, where exactly are they going to go and HOW are they going to get there?

Same Sh*t Different Day. While those Good Ole Boys get richer and richer with more and more playgrounds at the taxpayer expense. Remember all those subdivisions Jerry and his crew approved voted him out of office. This is not the same Paulding County it was 10 years ago, people are fed up with the Good Ole Boys.

Make up your mind, either it is a bad idea because it will probably be successful and too many planes will fly in and out. Or it is a bad idea because it is doomed to fail.

I like it better than spending the same amount of money on new hires for the local government that we provide benefits to until they die.

I really don't care about what Jerry did, I care about economic development. I have never wavered from that. I am not going to change my mind because of political wrangling. I see it for what it is.

Bueler? Anyone?? What are the bonds they are voting on Tuesday?? You know the 7 million + bonds??

I thought that was what they voted on during the meeting that was on tape.

Make up your mind, either it is a bad idea because it will probably be successful and too many planes will fly in and out. Or it is a bad idea because it is doomed to fail.

I like it better than spending the same amount of money on new hires for the local government that we provide benefits to until they die.

I really don't care about what Jerry did, I care about economic development. I have never wavered from that. I am not going to change my mind because of political wrangling. I see it for what it is.

I htought they voted on the contract with Silver Comet, no one really knows but them now do they?? And Todd was not involved in that vote, it was the Airport Authority, not the Commission meeting. I can however see why you could be confused about that.

They are voting on 7+ million in bonds on Tuesday, 10/23. It's on the agenda.

Another thing I want to add is that large companies are going to bring in more powerful people, I don't see that commissioners or the IBA acting too afraid of that. I think if the good ole boy system was that strong they would work hard to keep any bigger fish out of their pond as they did many years ago.

Don't get me wrong, their are some players I think need to go because it is the good ole boy system run amok. I think some new blood is exactly what is needed.

I htought they voted on the contract with Silver Comet, no one really knows but them now do they?? And Todd was not involved in that vote, it was the Airport Authority, not the Commission meeting. I can however see why you could be confused about that.

They are voting on 7+ million in bonds on Tuesday, 10/23. It's on the agenda.

Should I request to speak and give my approval :rofl:

Have you read the lease? Is there any way Propeller Investments can sub lease if they fail? That would not be a good thing.

Like I said before, not one of you people on the west side bitched one time about the East Hiram Parkway. That was coming through MY backyard and was something that would make life better for YOU.

Hell, I might buy me an airplane. 8)

Like I said before, not one of you people on the west side bitched one time about the East Hiram Parkway. That was coming through MY backyard and was something that would make life better for YOU.

Can I have a ride? hu can I can I? pretty please?

Are 100% sure I didn't? Really?? 8)

I'll wave to you as you fly over. :D

BTW, I don't think I've ever used the East Hiram Parkway. I don't get on that side of the county much.

Edited by tundra

From a person that lives in Gwinnett, they tried this same tactic with the secrecy. Someone thought better of it and let the cat out of the bag. The whole deal was booted to the curb. Now remember this is an area that has attracted many profitable businesses for many years.

There's other stuff, just google Gwinnett and Briscoe field. Smith sang a different song in Gwinnett, hmmmmmm.

"
The four remaining commissioners should not proceed with
a vote when voices
of more than 200,000 citizens,
from an entire district, are not going to be represented,
" said Smith.

Smith claims the BOC blocked him from making his proposal public. The CEO said the commercialization could actually be good for the community. "People in Dacula and Lawrenceville have more to gain from this than anybody," said Smith citing the new jobs and added revenue the airport could create.

http://www.peachpund...mercialization/

Edited by tundra

From the article:

Brett Smith June 6, 2012 at 4:57 am I don't recall voicing support at all for Mike B last week. The reality is that Mike must not have even bothered to read the proposal. The reason why I say this is because he stated his reason for objecting was his concern that the County could be liable if the airport were to fail. Propellers proposal which will be made public shortly, clearly and definitively states that the County will in no way be liable. Its somewhat shocking that he made that comment. No betrayal to me, the real betrayal is to the citizens. I think people will feel differently once have had the opportunity to see the proposal for themselves. In any event, what is the point of blocking the publics ability to see the proposal in the first place? PPP projects all over the world and in the U.S. are normally available online so people can learn about them.

Edited by tundra

It would be nice if Austin and Brett Smith would now put their agreement online for all to view.

My primary issue is still how and by what means can the airport authority with 3 elected members commit the county to a contract like this without BoC approval? If the AA has that kind of power with a membership of appointed not elected members there are some serious issues for the BoC to contend with.

• Like 5

It would be nice if Austin and Brett Smith would now put their agreement online for all to view.

My primary issue is still how and by what means can the airport authority with 3 elected members commit the county to a contract like this without BoC approval? If the AA has that kind of power with a membership of appointed not elected members there are some serious issues for the BoC to contend with.

^^^ This is a valid point. The citizens really need to look at how this is set up, AA and IBA have a LOT of power.

Why do most of the counties surrounding Paulding have an open tax assessor sight that shows all sales records and parcel maps? Paulding county did for a couple of years but suddenly cut it back to basic records only. Is there something to hide? Are they making it harder for people to research and see who owns what and who is profiteering from the dealings of the IBA and AA and other "good ole boys"?

• Like 1