Paulding.com

pictures from vehicle fire this morning

Seems there was a fire this morning on Bobo Road and Flintlock Ridge.

The couple driving the truck were able to exit the tractor safely. The event was detailed in Freebird's reports in the scanner forum.

Truck Fire.jpg

What is probably the greater issue raised was the response time observed.

Truck Fire 1.jpg

Now we have no way of knowing what the challenge in response was and traffic, which was backing up fast on Bobo, no doubt played a role as it blocked the forward lane of the two-lane road leaving open only the oncoming lane.

Truck Fire 2.jpg

Of course I'm dealing with observations here but the report said it took more than ten minutes 12-13 for the fire truck to arrive and then, the report states Sheriff Deputies took anohter ten minutes to make their way to the scene.

The road was blocked by the incident and the observer surmised, without the help of deputy or direction, that it would take some time for the road to be cleared. So, without direction of law enforcement, the observer made the decision to turn around and take an alternative route.

The member asked if this sounded like a problem to me.

Okay, I think that the PCFD could have responded sooner to the fire. I think that they are pretty sanguine about car fires because the vehicle chassis is almost always totaled by a fire and that is why most large trucks and it is recommended most cars and drivers have a fire extinguisher handy. If you don't nip a car fire in the bud, the vehicle is totaled and there is no sense risking one's life to put it out unless lives are at stake. (An entrapment accident, for instance.)

On the Deputies once they arrived on the scene.

It think it would be a wonderful service if the deputies, using their in-car computers, were able to connect and plot a workable detour in real time and direct its use and keep vehicles moving. And notably, it would take four to six deputies to set up that kind of disaster response. Two to secure the accident scene. One each direction to set up the detour signs and one each direction to inform all those stuck in line that they need to turn around and follow him/her to the detour.

I actually think it would be a slick and innovative improvement for the deputies to do that but I really don't think they've ever done it. I think they do integrate with the GPS navigation companies to alert their customers on alternate routes but I don't ever recall deputies taking the kind of initiative suggested - especially on a non-injury, non-accident.

The good news is that I think the SO has the mental attitude that if they thought of it and it was indeed feasible, they would do it... but the more surprising thing to me was that six deputies showed up to this fire. It is not an excessive presence, mind you, but with the budget restraints over the last couple of years, it wouldn't surprise me if only three or four cars would be available to answer this kind of call.

Of course that is my opinion and you may have another. Bottom line, though, I think we get a grea t value for our money at the SO and really think the rank and file deserve more credit (and higher pay.) I hope the budget proposal that passes before t he 15th, includes that.

pubby

Seems there was a fire this morning on Bobo Road and Flintlock Ridge.

The couple driving the truck were able to exit the tractor safely. The event was detailed in Freebird's reports in the scanner forum.

Truck Fire.jpg

What is probably the greater issue raised was the response time observed.

Truck Fire 1.jpg

Now we have no way of knowing what the challenge in response was and traffic, which was backing up fast on Bobo, no doubt played a role as it blocked the forward lane of the two-lane road leaving open only the oncoming lane.

Truck Fire 2.jpg

Of course I'm dealing with observations here but the report said it took more than ten minutes 12-13 for the fire truck to arrive and then, the report states Sheriff Deputies took anohter ten minutes to make their way to the scene.

The road was blocked by the incident and the observer surmised, without the help of deputy or direction, that it would take some time for the road to be cleared. So, without direction of law enforcement, the observer made the decision to turn around and take an alternative route.

The member asked if this sounded like a problem to me.

Okay, I think that the PCFD could have responded sooner to the fire. I think that they are pretty sanguine about car fires because the vehicle chassis is almost always totaled by a fire and that is why most large trucks and it is recommended most cars and drivers have a fire extinguisher handy. If you don't nip a car fire in the bud, the vehicle is totaled and there is no sense risking one's life to put it out unless lives are at stake. (An entrapment accident, for instance.)

On the Deputies once they arrived on the scene.

It think it would be a wonderful service if the deputies, using their in-car computers, were able to connect and plot a workable detour in real time and direct its use and keep vehicles moving. And notably, it would take four to six deputies to set up that kind of disaster response. Two to secure the accident scene. One each direction to set up the detour signs and one each direction to inform all those stuck in line that they need to turn around and follow him/her to the detour.

I actually think it would be a slick and innovative improvement for the deputies to do that but I really don't think they've ever done it. I think they do integrate with the GPS navigation companies to alert their customers on alternate routes but I don't ever recall deputies taking the kind of initiative suggested - especially on a non-injury, non-accident.

The good news is that I think the SO has the mental attitude that if they thought of it and it was indeed feasible, they would do it... but the more surprising thing to me was that six deputies showed up to this fire. It is not an excessive presence, mind you, but with the budget restraints over the last couple of years, it wouldn't surprise me if only three or four cars would be available to answer this kind of call.

Of course that is my opinion and you may have another. Bottom line, though, I think we get a grea t value for our money at the SO and really think the rank and file deserve more credit (and higher pay.) I hope the budget proposal that passes before t he 15th, includes that.

pubby

Are you saying the fire department pre judge a fire before it responds as to how big a threat it is to life. and being it was only a truck on fire there was no reason to rush?

I'm saying they had information that lives were not at stake and in that circumstance they're not going to barrel down the oncoming lane at 80mph on a blind curve ... not that they would anyway. My point is there are risks you take when you are really, really in a hurry that you wouldn't take when you are just in a hurry.

If you don't grasp that, you've got a HUB problem.

pubby

No, he said he thinks that, not that he knows it as fact.

At least, that's the way I read it.

Oh I know or rather HOPE that is not what happened. Would be a stupid excuse to use and a dangerous one.

I was there a good 15 minutes before any EMT, police, fire truck showed up. Matter of fact, the fire wasn't really going when I first got there, but when the EMT got there it was really going, but before they got there, the tire popped. Oh, and the fire truck got there before any officers did.

Okay - being former fire and rescue - let's look at this - it takes about 3 minutes on average from the time the call is initiated to the time the call is put out over the radio. Then, it takes, on average about 1 1/2 minutes for the station to get on the trucks and get them rolling. Maybe a little less here because they usually roll a rescue squad and not a full truck. So, that's 5 1/2 minutes IF they are sitting in the station. And, given where the station is - I would expect a 3-5 minute response time (Mt. Tabor Church Rd station). Again - IF they were in sitting in the station. What we don't know (and Lucky64 - if you can tell us what station number was on the truck that would be helpful) is 1. did the trucks come from the mt. tabor church road station - were they at the station or where they coming from another location; or 2. did another station respond because the mt. tabor church road station was busy?

As for LEO - that's common. I ran a couple of accidents that we had patients packaged and loaded - off to the ER, vehicle secured and loading on the tow truck before LEO even showed up. And again - you don't know where they were coming from. Rarely is LEO sitting at the station waiting for a call to come out.

I was there a good 15 minutes before any EMT, police, fire truck showed up. Matter of fact, the fire wasn't really going when I first got there, but when the EMT got there it was really going, but before they got there, the tire popped. Oh, and the fire truck got there before any officers did.

You know I was wondering if it was you who was there and in the know. LOL

You know I was wondering if it was you who was there and in the know. LOL

I had to get my daughter from school and then run a quick errand and was coming down Bobo and came upon the semi on fire just as the neighbor was running into her house to call 911. My daughter was videoing the whole thing. While she was doing that, I was comforting the wife while her husband was talking on the phone.

Okay - being former fire and rescue - let's look at this - it takes about 3 minutes on average from the time the call is initiated to the time the call is put out over the radio. Then, it takes, on average about 1 1/2 minutes for the station to get on the trucks and get them rolling. Maybe a little less here because they usually roll a rescue squad and not a full truck. So, that's 5 1/2 minutes IF they are sitting in the station. And, given where the station is - I would expect a 3-5 minute response time (Mt. Tabor Church Rd station). Again - IF they were in sitting in the station. What we don't know (and Lucky64 - if you can tell us what station number was on the truck that would be helpful) is 1. did the trucks come from the mt. tabor church road station - were they at the station or where they coming from another location; or 2. did another station respond because the mt. tabor church road station was busy?

As for LEO - that's common. I ran a couple of accidents that we had patients packaged and loaded - off to the ER, vehicle secured and loading on the tow truck before LEO even showed up. And again - you don't know where they were coming from. Rarely is LEO sitting at the station waiting for a call to come out.

I'm sorry, I was to far from the the truck to see the number, but if it helps, it came from Dallas-Acworth side and not Mt. Tabor down Bobo Road. Only sirens we heard came from the EMT/small red truck and cop cars. Didn't hear any fire truck sirens. Matter of fact when I was talking to the lady I didn't even noticed they showed up until I looked over and saw them spraying the semi, that's how quiet they were. The fire started on the floor board and the driver tried to put it out but it only angered it. Meaning, it was in full force just about under the hood.

I'm sorry, I was to far from the the truck to see the number, but if it helps, it came from Dallas-Acworth side and not Mt. Tabor down Bobo Road. Only sirens we heard came from the EMT/small red truck and cop cars. Didn't hear any fire truck sirens. Matter of fact when I was talking to the lady I didn't even noticed they showed up until I looked over and saw them spraying the semi, that's how quiet they were. The fire started on the floor board and the driver tried to put it out but it only angered it. Meaning, it was in full force just about under the hood.

Then - either mt tabor wasn't home OR the trucks came from by Kroger on 61 and 278. Either way - that does explain the response time.

I just listened to the radio side of the incident.

I have no idea what time the first 911 call was received, but can tell you from listening to the recording, Rescue 3 was on scene in less than 2 minutes from the time of dispatch . It sounded like the dispatcher was getting "walked on" which made the actual dispatch take a few extra seconds. Unfortunately the Rescue units don't have a tank or pump. Both Engine 3 and Rescue 3 were very quick to mark enroute. Engine 3 marking enroute first.

I never actually heard engine 3 mark on scene, but Command reported they were starting their attack about 8 minutes and 30 seconds after the dispatch (and the dispatch took a little longer because of other traffic). Engine 3 was probably on scene about a minute before they started their attack (I heard some radio keyups that sounded like it could have been Engine 3). They would have been moving quickly to get the attack underway in a minute.

About a minute after the fire attack started, Command requested SO. I never heard the SO call dispatched, but one was obviously enoute 4 minutes later when I heard him talking to another unit (could have been responding for some time)

Bat 1 was on scene about a minute after SO was requested.

The fire was under control about 30 seconds after Bat 1 was on scene.

I never heard anything that sounded like they were dragging their feet or anything. If there was any delay, it would have been between the time the initial call was received and the actual dispatch time. I'm not saying there was a delay as I don't know, but if there was, that is where it would have been in my opinion.

Sometimes the delay can be because the caller does not know exactly where they are, and sometime the call can get dispatched "to the area off....."

To me it sounded like they did a good job with the resources they have.

• Like 1

I'm just glad the couple was able to exit safely.

My husband has been driving for 30 years, and is currently with Old Dominion.

Scary stuff.

I hope the couple (if this was owner operated) can recover their loss.

It was Engine 3.

It did come from Mt.Tabor.

Rescue 3 came from the old W.C.Abney Elementary School.( They were on a call there )

Both were running lights and sirens.I was there.I saw and heard both.Personally I did not think it was a long response time myself.When you are in a sitution like this and you are not use to it,minutes seem like forever.