Paulding.com

Hiram City Council meeting *UPDATE*

The City of Hiram called a special council meeting last night the agenda items was personnel issues. They have dissolved the use of all services from Glen Stinson as both City Attorney and City Solicitor.

I finally got around to visiting with Mayor Devey yesterday to ask her about the details of the council meeting.

She wanted me to clarify that a special meeting was not called just to dissolve the services of Mr. Stinson.

They had many things on the agenda mostly pertaining to budget. There was prior discussion with Mr. Stinson before the meeting.

The issue was pretty much drama free.

The news coming from The City Hiram is all good. They are simply changing the way they do business.

They will now have a city Attorney and a Solicitor both from the firm of Henderson &

Hundley from Deacator Ga.

Respectively Laurel E. Henderson and Mr. Kelly Hundley.

The city will also now enter into a service contract with the office of the District Attorney, Paulding County Judicial Circuit that will provide 2 experienced municipal court prosecutors to perform all the duties of prosecuting attorney.

The city of Hiram has also hired a new auditor James L. Whitaker, certified Public Accountant from Snellville Ga.

The city is still interviewing for the job of city manager.

Now for my editorial ;)

We had a long conversation and I was quite impressed with Mayor Devey.

We talked about the city council at length and her efforts to help create a cohesive team there with mutual goals for the City of Hiram.

She does seem to be going about running a city like a large corporation.

I sensed that she is more of a business person than a politician which I found refreshing. After all we pay taxes to have our government to serve us in an efficient and business like manner. I predict positive changes and attitudes at the City of Hiram in the future were the boundaries will be clearly drawn for all the employees as they go about their daily business of running the city of Hiram.

While the headline may have been somewhat misleading in that it indicated high drama of a special meeting to dismiss Mr. Stinson which it was not, it did bring enough attention to the changes in Hiram to prompt me to make my first official visit with the new Mayor and learn more about the current positive changes in the City of Hiram.

I hope to have a sit down Soon with Mayor Devey on camera to let the rest of Paulding get to know her.

By the way we are also seeing the return of the family oriented activities in Ben Hill Strictland Sr. Memorial park.

The City of Hiram called a special council meeting last night the agenda items was personnel issues. They have dissolved the use of all services from Glen Stinson as both City Attorney and City Solicitor.

:snicker: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

At whose request? Did anyone ever consider that Mr. Stinson may have requested the change? There is two sides to this.

And no, I'm not supporting Stinson in any way.

Hey, Pigpen.....there's an opening for ya. LOL

At whose request? Did anyone ever consider that Mr. Stinson may have requested the change? There is two sides to this.

And no, I'm not supporting Stinson in any way.

Hey, Pigpen.....there's an opening for ya. LOL

Apparently council members got rid of him. Wonder what their motivation was for it.

good....he is an arrogant, waste of tax payer dollars...I had traffice court, waited to talk to him...he wouldnt drop the bogus charge, and even told judge plumley that I would win in a jury trial! Also, wasnt he suppose to help remove an illegal bill board on 278, but, was never avl? What a joke....now kudos to the mayor and city council!

Curious, does paulding.com attend council meetings for the City of Hiram and report on the happenings on a regular basis? If they have I haven't noticed. I would be interested in knowing whats going on there. I haven't been able to get to any meetings with my work schedule.

Perhaps this has something to do with Mr. Stinson and another council member trying to get an audit done on the city's expenditures. Maybe the real news would be who is trying to stop it and why.

I would like to know the answer to that question. Why would anyone be opposed to auditing the city books? Seems like something that should be done on a regular basis and made public.

See post 1 for update.

Well it seems like you really got your share of the ole blowing smoke job. People in Hiram would be wise to start attending city council meetings and see what is really going on. Makes me wonder why they got an attorney from Decature - not even Paulding County. When the city attorney tells council members that they are not doing things legally, what alternatve do they have but to fire the messenger.

Well it seems like you really got your share of the ole blowing smoke job. People in Hiram would be wise to start attending city council meetings and see what is really going on. Makes me wonder why they got an attorney from Decature - not even Paulding County. When the city attorney tells council members that they are not doing things legally, what alternatve do they have but to fire the messenger.

Actually Mayor Devey had nothing but good words for Mr. Stinson. They are changing the way some things are done and those changes require that they hire key personnel to do it correctly and legally.

I did not thoroughly read the bios until I set down to make the statements yesterday.

When I realized that they were from outside of Paulding I thought to myself how brilliant.

This will put a stop to rumors that Hiram is run by a bunch of good ole' boys that show favoritism.

Obviously the council is supporting her decision, she is a sharp lady, she is not native to Paulding. There will be less problems with family and childhood friends even asking for favors. I am not saying that it previously went on, but I know for a fact the friends and relatives do ask placing a lot of un-needed pressure on people in office.

You are going to have a Mayor with a lot less pressure and a lot less suspicion on them in a small town has been plagued drama and rumors for years.

The result is Hiram will go forward instead of in circles.

As you pointed out someone is going to find high drama in all the changes also, but that is fine when the goal is to make their process of running the city legal and efficient.

I believe Mayor Devey is going to bring dignity to Hiram Government, with the exception of being in the Dunk tank Tuesday night, but it is for a good cause :good:

I do not like that man...

A lot of people don't like him because he is terse, but many of his peers respect him professionally.

• Like 1

Actually Mayor Devey had nothing but good words for Mr. Stinson. They are changing the way some things are done and those changes require that they hire key personnel to do it correctly and legally.

I did not thoroughly read the bios until I set down to make the statements yesterday.

When I realized that they were from outside of Paulding I thought to myself how brilliant.

This will put a stop to rumors that Hiram is run by a bunch of good ole' boys that show favoritism.

Obviously the council is supporting her decision, she is a sharp lady, she is not native to Paulding. There will be less problems with family and childhood friends even asking for favors. I am not saying that it previously went on, but I know for a fact the friends and relatives do ask placing a lot of un-needed pressure on people in office.

You are going to have a Mayor with a lot less pressure and a lot less suspicion on them in a small town has been plagued drama and rumors for years.

As you pointed out someone is going to find high drama in all the changes also, but that is fine when the goal is to make their process of running the city legal and efficient.

I believe Mayor Devey is going to bring dignity to Hiram Government, with the exception of being in the Dunk tank Tuesday night, but it is for a good cause :good:

A lot of people don't like him because he is terse, but many of his peers respect him professionally.

The thing is, I don't think the "Good ole boy" system is really out of Hiram. I think that the ex-mayor still has a lot to say about things, especially being against an audit of the books from when she was mayor. I don't know if there was/is wrong doing, but I'm all for open books so that we can look at was done and what is being done.

The thing is, I don't think the "Good ole boy" system is really out of Hiram. I think that the ex-mayor still has a lot to say about things, especially being against an audit of the books from when she was mayor. I don't know if there was/is wrong doing, but I'm all for open books so that we can look at was done and what is being done.

It's going to take some time for the new way of doing things to produce positive results. I don't think Mayor Devey has any choice but to do the audit because her credibility is at stake. We will see how it goes.

Sorry but I think with all of the attorneys who are in Paulding that the job should stay in Paulding. Not all of them are good old boys and just because they are from Paulding does not mean they are not good attorneys either.

• Like 1

Sorry but I think with all of the attorneys who are in Paulding that the job should stay in Paulding. Not all of them are good old boys and just because they are from Paulding does not mean they are not good attorneys either.

I agree. What happened to keeping the money local? LPPT, they have been talking about doing this audit for many months. Look in to it and see which council members are pushing for it and which ones are dragging their feet. Not to mention the day before Ms. Devy was voted in as Mayor the council decided to go to a City Manager which takes a lot of power away from the Mayor and gives it to the City Manager. So I'm interested to see who the City Manager will be. Ms. Devy is pretty much a figurehead or glorified council member now.

You are absolutely right "strawman". Ms. Devey is just another council person (but looks like she still needs to be convinced of that) since the new city manager type government was approved. The good ole boy network is still alive and well in Hiram as long as the former mayor keeps pulling the strings.

I agree. What happened to keeping the money local? LPPT, they have been talking about doing this audit for many months. Look in to it and see which council members are pushing for it and which ones are dragging their feet. Not to mention the day before Ms. Devy was voted in as Mayor the council decided to go to a City Manager which takes a lot of power away from the Mayor and gives it to the City Manager. So I'm interested to see who the City Manager will be. Ms. Devy is pretty much a figurehead or glorified council member now.

When it comes to spending tax payer dollars on personnel the first qualification should not be that you are a native of Paulding, believe me people have taken notice of that. You and I know exactly the same things about not only Hiram, but the county in general.

Mayor Devey has the right to make whatever decisions she wants to bring transparency and order to the Government of The city of Hiram and she has my support as she goes through the process. She answers to the taxpayers at the end of the day. She didn't run for the position as a popularity contest.

People need to take notice that Hiram and Dallas are cities of Ethics. There are requirements to meet that criteria. If they lose that rating it is time for torches and pitch forks.

It is so easy to criticize when you are on the outside looking in give the Mayor a chance to make her changes and use her judgement before jumping all over her.

I am out of positives so + 10000

I believe she had good reason for what she did, these contracts are up for review every year.

Yes, but her reason may have been to stop the requested audit and the public will never know what is trying to be hidden. Looks kind of fishy that council voted on and approved an audit going back to 2008. This procedure was being pursued by Glen Stinson and Kathy Bookout. Now Glen is gone, can 1 council person push to get this audit completed or will she be pressured into giving up on the process.

I think some people have some things to answer for but her new BFF the mayor seems to be stalling as much as possible not to have this happen. Does anyone else think this whole process smells.

Yes, but her reason may have been to stop the requested audit and the public will never know what is trying to be hidden. Looks kind of fishy that council voted on and approved an audit going back to 2008. This procedure was being pursued by Glen Stinson and Kathy Bookout. Now Glen is gone, can 1 council person push to get this audit completed or will she be pressured into giving up on the process.

I think some people have some things to answer for but her new BFF the mayor seems to be stalling as much as possible not to have this happen. Does anyone else think this whole process smells.

You might try to be patient, as the new folks need to get their feet up under them.

I was talking to friend today about when people have a problem with something that everyone clearly sees is wrong, they want folks to act like a dictator.

The bottom line is that some things could have been done wrong, it may not have been clear that they were being done wrong at the time they were done. It is a little late to shut the barn door after the horses are out. My understanding is that there is no need for a witch hunt, but to look at things and go about doing them correctly from here on out.

Let them have some time to feel things out before you ask new people to take on this huge task. This is a difficult situation for the people that have worked there for years also. you don't throw the baby out with the bath water either.

I hear your concerns, and I am not afraid to ask someone at city hall or to take a camera to a council meeting to satisfy concerned folks if they ask me too. I am not blindly supporting Hiram government, I am just making some practical points about your concerns.

You might try to be patient, as the new folks need to get their feet up under them.

I was talking to friend today about when people have a problem with something that everyone clearly sees is wrong, they want folks to act like a dictator.

The bottom line is that some things could have been done wrong, it may not have been clear that they were being done wrong at the time they were done. It is a little late to shut the barn door after the horses are out. My understanding is that there is no need for a witch hunt, but to look at things and go about doing them correctly from here on out.

Let them have some time to feel things out before you ask new people to take on this huge task. This is a difficult situation for the people that have worked there for years also. you don't throw the baby out with the bath water either.

I hear your concerns, and I am not afraid to ask someone at city hall or to take a camera to a council meeting to satisfy concerned folks if they ask me too. I am not blindly supporting Hiram government, I am just making some practical points about your concerns.

Maybe that is part of the problem. How many council meetings have you attended lately. You get on here making comments and not knowing what is actually happening. Maybe if you atternded the meetings, you might put a different spin on your comments instead of just sitting down with her highness and getting a snow job

As far as asking people to take on tasks quicfkly, the other council members are not new to this situation. At least 3 of them will be up for reelection in 2013 and maybe that should be the time that the people of Hiram take a real good look at who is running this city and make some changes.

It's going to take some time for the new way of doing things to produce positive results. I don't think Mayor Devey has any choice but to do the audit because her credibility is at stake. We will see how it goes.

First of all we need to clarify "audit". The city does have an audit every year and it is simply a review of the previous year. The "forensic audit" that was called for by Kathy Bookout several months ago was approved and begun but never completed. Her motion was that nothing could be done before the results of the audit came in, was rescinded based on a motion by Pep Rollins because the city had run out of money in the general fund and had to go into the city's reserve to pay the bills for the balance of the 2011-2012 fiscal year. There was a short fall of $600,000.

Now they are operating on last year's budget with the new year beginning in July knowing they are going to once again have a short fall of at least $600,000.

The interim city manager has less than 30 days left on his term and they will have to hire a new city manager and that salary has not even been taken into account.

The city was notified last November that their spending has been exceeding their income over the past several years by more than 1 million dollars per year. At this rate the city will be broke in 5-6 years. They have 2 options - curtail spending or increase revenue. Now if I look into my crystal ball I think I can see a new city property tax on the horizon because it certainly doesn't seem that anyone is going to curtail spending or even find out where the money from the previous years went. I'm not a rocket scientist but I do undestand basic math and think that the future for Hiram looks bleak. We need to sit up and start paying attention.

I am going to apologize first, then ask my questions, I AM SORRY.

What services does Hiram provide besides the Police (and their vehicles) and water in old Hiram? The reason I ask, my cousin worked many years for Hiram, cutting grass around the govt buildings and keeping the water working, a one man crew.

Many of us are aware that the Old Hiram sewer is a mess, is that one of the problems?

Are there other services?

Has the Hiram govt become bloated with expensive Executives?

I hope Don Brown will weigh in on this as he lives there and has ran for a seat in the Hiram govt.

I am going to apologize first, then ask my questions, I AM SORRY.

What services does Hiram provide besides the Police (and their vehicles) and water in old Hiram? The reason I ask, my cousin worked many years for Hiram, cutting grass around the govt buildings and keeping the water working, a one man crew.

Many of us are aware that the Old Hiram sewer is a mess, is that one of the problems?

Are there other services?

Has the Hiram govt become bloated with expensive Executives?

I hope Don Brown will weigh in on this as he lives there and has ran for a seat in the Hiram govt.

I am trying to connect the dots here. I don't have much to go on as we don't regularly tape these meetings. ( Just so Anon and others know Pubby and I are stretched thin) Under the new sunshine laws anyone can tape those meetings and post them here on the county wide news and we would even assist with the upload)

As far as audits go our government and any one that does business with them should be an open book. I have no issue with well educated people being paid what they are worth JJ, you get what you pay for.

It looks to me as though a lot of money has been spent on capitol improvements in downtown Hiram, my understanding is that money can not be spent on salaries and such.

I think concerned citizens should tape the meetings.

Many any of his peers respect him professionally.

this is not true.

I strongly agree.

Edited by peachesga