Paulding.com

Looks like Mubarek is about to resign

In an effort to control the massive crowds, and after doctors in white coats and lawyers in suits entered the square in Cairo, it looks like Hosni Mubarek will shortly be announcing his resignation and turning over Egypt to his recently appointed vice president.

What we are seeing, BTW, is the power of peaceful non-cooperation - al a Mahatma Ghandi in India, MLK in the US and even Nelson Mandela's revolution in South Africa in 1994 and Lech Walesa's Solidarity revolution in Soviet dominated Poland in 1989.

What is notable in all those instances is that, despite the power of the state to kill or maim a basically peaceful but unarmed public, oppressive governments fall.

Of course in all the instances, there is some violence - typically exacted on the public by the government as it seeks to continue its hold on power over the people. Their basic rejection of the authority that governs them proves that the protection of human rights is the only way to ever gain stability.

It is a wonder to see and a reason for celebration, IMO.

pubby

PS: Given the more recent and successful history of this phenomenon, I would suggest that our government needs to establish an approach that is more effective in aligning ourselves with these popular movements. They represent, not just powerful forces, but the ultimate power in any society.

I was saddened to hear that he won't resign.

The question it raises is whether 3000 or maybe even 30,000 or 300,000 people will die as a result of his intransigence.

I do hope the Cairo mob continues to choose the path of non-violent non-cooperation as such a course will not only ultimately be successful, but will tend to moderate the numbers actually dying. But the choice of Mubarak at this point has guaranteed that more blood will be shed.

pubby

I guess like Leon Panetta used the same news source as Pubby.

It turns out that when CIA Director Leon Panetta said to the House Intelligence Committee that there was "a strong likelihood" that Mubarak would quit today, he wasn't basing that on secret intelligence but rather...media speculation.

Within minutes, senior aides to Panetta sought to tamp down the impact, saying he was merely referring to media reports. But by then, the comments had ricocheted around the Internet, underscoring U.S. confusion about events unfolding in Egypt, as well as the perils of publicly weighing in on such developments while serving as director of CIA. ...When Panetta was asked later in the session to clarify his comments, he softened his assessment but did not indicate that he was simply relaying what he had read.

"Let me say, just to make very clear here, that I've received reports that possibly Mubarak might do that," Panetta said, referring to the prospect that Egypt's leader would step down. "We are continuing to monitor the situation. We have not gotten specific word that he, in fact, will do that."

When the CIA Director says "I've received reports" it's reasonable to think he's means something other than, 'I've been watching CNN like you have and here's what I heard".

My link

It's a shame that the American people can't show the same passion and take to the streets to overthrow our corrupt government. The voting booths will never be able to fight corruption as long as ALL politicans use "free money and services" as vote buying treats.

AMEN!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

However, it may be closer than you think. :ninja:

I would be quite surprised if this turns tragically violent. Mubarak has no leg to stand on and little support from any corner of the country save his few cronies his corruption has supported. His "police force" is no match for the military, which is clearly on the side of the protesters. The military will decide the immediate outcome whether they want to or not, and barring complete lunacy from Mubarak, all signs point to a negotiated transfer of power from Mubarak, through the military council, and to free elections. I really hope that is the outcome.

"The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose" – Frederick Douglass.

They're partying in the streets! He did it! He resigned! :yahoo: :yahoo:

watch live

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41528247#41528247

From Sultan Al Qassemi's twitter; a reporter for the National:

"Exact words: Omar Suleiman: Mubarak has resigned. He has delegated the responsibility of running the country to the Supreme Military Council"

Another link for Reuters

Edited by Póg mo thóin

It's a shame that the American people can't show the same passion and take to the streets to overthrow our corrupt government. The voting booths will never be able to fight corruption as long as ALL politicans use "free money and services" as vote buying treats.

I have been thinking this myself .

I think we are programmed not to speak up ..