Paulding.com

What question(s) do you want me to ask former Speaker Newt Gingrich

As many folks know, former Speaker of the US House (and US Congressman representing Paulding in the decade of the 1980's) will be providing the keynote address for the 50th anniversary of the Paulding Chamber of Commerce at the Georgia World Congress Center later this evening.

While we've been told we can't record the keynote - I expect that he'll have a few moments he'll spend with the local press and we may well have the opportunity to ask a question or two.

Certainly, I'm not going to ask something outrageous or inappropriate - I won't even posit an example - but I am looking for a good question that is on the mind of the Pcom community.

So, what do you want me to ask him?

pubby

Ask him if he remembers pretending not to understand the questions of a 16 year old who was on a panel in a debate with Crandall Bray in 1986!

They had a debate at a local elem school and the panel was made up of reporters from two local papers and a representative from the high school newspaper--me. The political science teacher wrote questions for me to ask, and they were tough ones. They both said they could not understand me, so I was basically ignored and felt humiliated. Then, I found out that the audience could understand my questions, and I could be understood on the local radio station (it was recorded). I listened to it.

Can you tell I'm still bitter about it?

Mariposa:

I understand your consternation.

I do recall back in 1990 he had a call-in news conference in which I participated. It was back right after the US Supreme Court ruled that burning the flag was an act covered by the first amendment and he was expressing outrage at that ruling.

He made his spiel stating how he felt that was a horrid decision.

My turn to ask a question came. I asked: "Obviously, you've spent a great deal of time railing against this decision by the Supreme Court regarding what is allowable speech and what isn't ... on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most critical of issues how would rank this flag burning issue in comparison with the budget deficit, the Israeli peace process, the fall of the Soviet Union for instance?

He complimented me on the question suggesting that was one of the best he had been asked. Oh, and like yours Mariposa; as I recall he ducked answering as his agenda was to raise emotions about the SC decision.

pubby

Newt is very smart and i like that but a lil narrow minded for me....

sorry i forgot what the thread was about. opps another hyjack... my bad... lol

Edited by MJF

Pubby,

While you are in the building this evening, take a peek through the glass down at the floors of "A" and "B" Halls. Should be a frantic buzz of workers unloading and staging crates of equipment for the International Poultry Exposition next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I believe we have like 1100 exhibitors and it is sold out space wise.

The guys I work with from Texas, France, Iowa, Pennsylvania, England, Brasil and a new one from Denmark will all be setting up. The guys from Denmark, Sanovo/Staalkat have 12 40' ocean containers of equipment going in with a 4000 square foot booth.

I hope the Chamber Event is worthwhile. I have not been to the annual party since the year after we won the $10,000. The Chamber came out the following year and endorsed the School Bond and I did not renew my membership. And then we won the Aveo in their raffle.

See if any of my buds over at the BOC office are planning to come to the hearing next Wednesday.

I imagine the legal staff from Holland & Knight will be at the party tonight as well. I am pretty sure they would have joined the Chamber and become active members with what the county has paid them the last 5 years.

Have fun!drinks.gif

Ask him this, Pubby --

[Given the recent trend of divisiveness and playing "party politics" --

What assurance can you give the American people that you will work on their behalf and in their interests, instead of adopting an inflexible agenda that precludes bipartisanship?]

Ask him this, Pubby --

[Given the recent trend of divisiveness and playing "party politics" --

What assurance can you give the American people that you will work on their behalf and in their interests, instead of adopting an inflexible agenda that precludes bipartisanship?]

Isn't that a promise that they all make until they get in office and find out they can't deliver on that promise?

Ask him if he would consider being Sarah Palin's VP choice if she won the nomination in 2012? Assuming he doesn't seek the nomination himself. Or assuming he loses the nomination to her.

Or ask him who he would choose as his running mate if he were to win the nomination.

Mariposa:

I do recall back in 1990 he had a call-in news conference in which I participated. It was back right after the US Supreme Court ruled that burning the flag was an act covered by the first amendment and he was expressing outrage at that ruling.

My turn to ask a question came. I asked: "Obviously, you've spent a great deal of time railing against this decision by the Supreme Court regarding what is allowable speech and what isn't ... on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most critical of issues how would rank this flag burning issue in comparison with the budget deficit, the Israeli peace process, the fall of the Soviet Union for instance?

He complimented me on the question suggesting that was one of the best he had been asked. Oh, and like yours Mariposa; as I recall he ducked answering as his agenda was to raise emotions about the SC decision.

pubby

At least you got respect. It wasn't just him, both of them pretended not to be able to hear me, but everyone else in the building could.

We know Newt wants to make a run for the office, and everyone hopes that Sarah "Lighning Rod" Palin decides not to run and muddy the primary waters.

I'd like to know if Newt would consider asking Harman Cain to be his VP if Newt was to win the nomination.

Herman state on his show that he would consider being VP to Newt and I was wondering if the feeling was mutual.

Mariposa:

pubby

You're judging him based on something he said 21 years ago? Why not hold EVERYONE to that standard?

I apologize to the folks who gave me info on this but the planned media minute prior to the address didn't happen. At the closing of the event, and you can tell he was tired, we had a very brief encounter. Since one of the themes of his address was about American exceptionalism, I asked if he could comment on Paulding exceptionalism... which was not that good a question.

I did get closer to the issues raised here in the much more relaxed interview I had with Matt Towery, who is doing some advising for the Speaker as he contemplates his run for the Presidency. I'll be running that interview in Tuesday's news.

pubby