Paulding.com

What happened to the Commission Candidate Roundtable ?

I recall reading last week that there was going to be another round table forum for the commission candidates to sit and discuss topics of interest to the post commission seats.

We have less than 2 weeks until the run-off vote and I assume early voting will be next week at the registrar's office.

Are some of the candidates balking at having to discuss issues with their opponents ?

ooops apparently there was a mix up in the time of the debate

the discussion today is with District 19 Incumbent Daniel Stout and Candidate Paulette Braddock...we were scheduled to start at 2:00 PM. Mr. Stout is here but we are still waiting on Mrs. Braddock...as soon as she arrives we will begin

the discussion today is with District 19 Incumbent Daniel Stout and Candidate Paulette Braddock...we were scheduled to start at 2:00 PM. Mr. Stout is here but we are still waiting on Mrs. Braddock...as soon as she arrives we will begin

What about post 2 and post 4 ? I really enjoyed the last one, will it be soon??????? Have not seen Mrs. Cochran or Mr. Crowe speak without a clue what will be ask of them .

I think an open debate would be great for the post two commission race. People would see who is in it for the county,and why the other is into it for pay back & wrong reason.

Folks I have a great view of people running for office,as long as it is for the right reason,now Beverly is a nice person but to be a commissioner would be wrong. She would carry on a by gone time when Jerry was at the helm. She was his right hand woman,she danced to the music and was part of his administraton. To bring back that failed group that ran this county would be a step backwards.

We need to move forward and place Todd Pownall into the post 2 commissioner position,he has dedicated himself for years to community work in the county. Beverly just wants to get revenge to David for firing her,which should have been done long ago. When new and more advanced management takes over it is normal to get rid of dead weight. Beverly was living on borrowed time,now end her time and say no to Jerry's puppet.

A vote for Todd would move us into the right position for all the right reasons.clapping.gif yahoo.gif

What about post 2 and post 4 ? I really enjoyed the last one, will it be soon??????? Have not seen Mrs. Cochran or Mr. Crowe speak without a clue what will be ask of them .

I think that all of the candidates should have a round table discussion From what I hear David Barnett and Todd Pownall are willing but the others will not even discuss the possibility of discussing the issues in an open forum. Come on all candidates let's get all of you on P.Com and discuss the issues facing our County How about the DA candidates let's do a face to face?

Well when your scared there is no better way then to run,everything needs to be in the open. Now is the time to face the music,I would love to hear the post 2 race. How can being a yes girl to Jerry and in charge of napkins and taking notes qualify her for post commissonergood.gif And see how the Da's office can improve. And who will be the man to do it?

I think an open debate would be great for the post two commission race. People would see who is in it for the county,and why the other is into it for pay back & wrong reason.

Folks I have a great view of people running for office,as long as it is for the right reason,now Beverly is a nice person but to be a commissioner would be wrong. She would carry on a by gone time when Jerry was at the helm. She was his right hand woman,she danced to the music and was part of his administraton. To bring back that failed group that ran this county would be a step backwards.

We need to move forward and place Todd Pownall into the post 2 commissioner position,he has dedicated himself for years to community work in the county. Beverly just wants to get revenge to David for firing her,which should have been done long ago. When new and more advanced management takes over it is normal to get rid of dead weight. Beverly was living on borrowed time,now end her time and say no to Jerry's puppet.

A vote for Todd would move us into the right position for all the right reasons.clapping.gif yahoo.gif

Well DAYAM, Animal and I agree on something. What is this world coming to ?!

If I recall Mr. Pownall and Mr. Barnett are giving back there first two years of pay . Looks like they both have the couty involement that we need ?? THEY NEED TO DO THE ROUNDTABLE ALL 4 OF THEM

I will be backing Mr. Barnett in Post 4.

If I recall Mr. Pownall and Mr. Barnett are giving back there first two years of pay . Looks like they both have the couty involement that we need ?? THEY NEED TO DO THE ROUNDTABLE ALL 4 OF THEM

I will be backing Mr. Barnett in Post 4.

I have a friend who lives in Post 4. I told him about the announcement made by these two candidates to give back their salary, and asked his opinion. I wonder who else would agree with this view:

"If they aren't getting paid by the county then they will be sure they get their pay through the back door and in other ways. I'm not sure I'd trust someone offering to work for free."

I'm out of this one - but does anyone else think that this is fishy and that the 2 candidates that get the most praise on this site are the two that are offering to forego their salary?

• Like 1

I have a friend who lives in Post 4. I told him about the announcement made by these two candidates to give back their salary, and asked his opinion. I wonder who else would agree with this view:

"If they aren't getting paid by the county then they will be sure they get their pay through the back door and in other ways. I'm not sure I'd trust someone offering to work for free."

I'm out of this one - but does anyone else think that this is fishy and that the 2 candidates that get the most praise on this site are the two that are offering to forego their salary?

I"m a stay home mom ,you may need to look they both have there own company"s . post 4 is not talked about to much on here .Pay through backdoor is a joke . This is why all 4 should do the round table discuss the question out there . I have gone by talked to both , people shoud do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by scorpio

No, if you knew Pownall and Barnett, you would know they are both for real and legit.

I think back on the time, energy and effort Todd devoted to Relay for Life for so many years, and the fact he never got paid a penny for that either.

No, if you knew Pownall and Barnett, you would know they are both for real and legit.

I think back on the time, energy and effort Todd devoted to Relay for Life for so many years, and the fact he never got paid a penny for that either.

I have to agree with you . We have lived in Paulding just over a year and I have seen what you are talking about , we attend West Ridge and have seen Mr. Barnett and Mr. Pownall . Question Mr. Barnett is on North West Ga Regional Comm. for Paulding , I have heard that he is only public sector person from Paulding appointed by the boardof commissoner looks like they must know something about his involement for our future

I know David Barnett and Todd Pownall and both men are respected business men in the County that provides jobs for other Paulding County Residents, And on a regular basis give back to the community through various charitable and non charitable organizations for many years, and without question has done so expecting nothing in return.

It came as no surprise to me that due to state of the economy and the budget crunch that the county is in that these two gentlemen volunteered to forego two years of salary, All County workers have taken a hit in the pocket book over the past couple of years, And have not received pay increases and are required to take furlough days without pay. Some citizens have forgot what it means to be a “PUBLIC SERVANT” I will remind you again GreenEyedGirl That only recently During the Jerry Shearin, Beverly Cochran regime did County Commissioners receive pay for serving their constituents, Prior administrations paid the commissioners nothing.

I wonder how many of David and Todd’s opponents would even be in this race if they knew that they would not be paid for their services for the first two years?

It should be noted that Todd’s and David’s opponents were previous employees on the County Payroll prior to qualifying to run for the commission seats, And, even have family members still on the county payroll, this has certainly raised a few eyebrows during the campaign, as to what their intentions are? Will Cochran and Crowe propose a raise in pay for the Commissioners to recoup the $65,000 salary that she was making under the previous administration?

I"m a stay home mom ,you may need to look they both have there own company"s . post 4 is not talked about to much on here .Pay through backdoor is a joke . This is why all 4 should do the round table discuss the question out there . I have gone by talked to both , people shoud do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rumor has it that Tony Crowe and Beverly Cochran will not agree to a round table discussion with P.com, They prefer the whisper type campaigns and see who can erect the most signs

Rumor has it that Tony Crowe and Beverly Cochran will not agree to a round table discussion with P.com, They prefer the whisper type campaigns and see who can erect the most signs

Pownall would win. Especially with those huge billboards on 61 near PCHS. Wonder how much those cost?

I know David Barnett and Todd Pownall and both men are respected business men in the County that provides jobs for other Paulding County Residents, And on a regular basis give back to the community through various charitable and non charitable organizations for many years, and without question has done so expecting nothing in return.

It came as no surprise to me that due to state of the economy and the budget crunch that the county is in that these two gentlemen volunteered to forego two years of salary, All County workers have taken a hit in the pocket book over the past couple of years, And have not received pay increases and are required to take furlough days without pay. Some citizens have forgot what it means to be a "PUBLIC SERVANT" I will remind you again GreenEyedGirl That only recently During the Jerry Shearin, Beverly Cochran regime did County Commissioners receive pay for serving their constituents, Prior administrations paid the commissioners nothing.

I wonder how many of David and Todd's opponents would even be in this race if they knew that they would not be paid for their services for the first two years?

It should be noted that Todd's and David's opponents were previous employees on the County Payroll prior to qualifying to run for the commission seats, And, even have family members still on the county payroll, this has certainly raised a few eyebrows during the campaign, as to what their intentions are? Will Cochran and Crowe propose a raise in pay for the Commissioners to recoup the $65,000 salary that she was making under the previous administration?

WOW Did not know that about the pay for the post commissoners, so why don"t they step up to the plate for the citizens like Barnett @ Pownall . I recall a older post about that is no money what they are giving up !!!!! Let"s ask some county employees with a spouse out of work if that is a big deal or not ????????????????????????????????????

Where we moved from no signs were allowed still a bunch of signs for the loser out how much time do they have

Sounds like your friend is a crook.

Jerry? :blink:

Sounds like your friend is a crook.

Jerry? blink.gif

I assume you mean Shearin?

No. Not sure where he lives. Is he in Post 4? Don't really know him other than seeing him on the public channel before.

If you asked the general population "what do you think of a candidate running for local office who is willing to forego their salary?" - I bet many folks would think the candidate has something up their sleeve.

So NO my friend is not a crook. He's just seen a few too many CROOKED politicians.

BTW, Does anyone on this board have anything GOOD to say about the other two candidates? I see only comments about Pownall and Barnett.

I assume you mean Shearin?

No. Not sure where he lives. Is he in Post 4? Don't really know him other than seeing him on the public channel before.

If you asked the general population "what do you think of a candidate running for local office who is willing to forego their salary?" - I bet many folks would think the candidate has something up their sleeve.

So NO my friend is not a crook. He's just seen a few too many CROOKED politicians.

BTW, Does anyone on this board have anything GOOD to say about the other two candidates? I see only comments about Pownall and Barnett.

You can always post some of the good things you know about your candidate, Is he good at erecting signs, Is he good at debating the issues, will he be willing to debate the issues,Has he ever been employed by the tax payers ETC. heck post something good about your candidate :D

Pownall would win. Especially with those huge billboards on 61 near PCHS. Wonder how much those cost?

Pownall and Barnett would still like to have a round table discussion for the citizens to be able to hear what issues each candidate are running on.

PS the cost is on his campaign report

You can always post some of the good things you know about your candidate, Is he good at erecting signs, Is he good at debating the issues, will he be willing to debate the issues,Has he ever been employed by the tax payers ETC. heck post something good about your candidate biggrin.gif

I'm more of a "Does everyone get a fair shot" kind of person. Don't really have a candidate in this.

I just notice as I'm sure other members do too that it seems all the Positive hype is about the same two candidates, and was wondering why it seems to be more negative or non-existent towards the others.

Maybe someone will step up for Crowe and Cochran???? Keep it fair, so to speak.

I'm more of a "Does everyone get a fair shot" kind of person. Don't really have a candidate in this.

I just notice as I'm sure other members do too that it seems all the Positive hype is about the same two candidates, and was wondering why it seems to be more negative or non-existent towards the others.

Maybe someone will step up for Crowe and Cochran???? Keep it fair, so to speak.

You started the negative campaign today with the salary post I just responded,

Anyone can post maybe you can post something postive about a candidate?

It is really easy for me to post something postive for Barnett and Pownall

You started the negative campaign today with the salary post I just responded,

Anyone can post maybe you can post something postive about a candidate?

It is really easy for me to post something postive for Barnett and Pownall

I didn't take my subjective question as negative campaigning. Sorry if it came across that way. I just received that opinion from my friend that can vote in Post 4 and then asked the folks on here if they agree with his viewpoint or not.

I have read a few of these threads and it appears 3-4 folks are supporting the same candidates and speak highly of them. I was just curious if anyone else was concerned about that. I didn't say that those guys giving up their salary was good or bad.

Negative campaigning to me is "I hear a rumor" or "I know for a fact"(when no proof is provided).

Sharing a person's opinion, calling it out as an opinion, and asking others what they think is what I did. Isn't that the purpose of this site? To share ideas?

Edited by GreenEyedGirl
  • Like 1

I didn't take my subjective question as negative campaigning. Sorry if it came across that way. I just received that opinion from my friend that can vote in Post 4 and then asked the folks on here if they agree with his viewpoint or not.

I have read a few of these threads and it appears 3-4 folks are supporting the same candidates and speak highly of them. I was just curious if anyone else was concerned about that. I didn't say that those guys giving up their salary was good or bad.

Negative campaigning to me is "I hear a rumor" or "I know for a fact"(when no proof is provided).

Sharing a person's opinion, calling it out as an opinion, and asking others what they think is what I did. Isn't that the purpose of this site? To share ideas?

And there is nothing to stop Cochran and Crowe's supporters from coming on p.com and posting about their candidates.

I, for one, would like to know why Cochran and Crowe refuse to have a roundtable discussion on p.com with Pownall and Barnett.

Why won't they participate ?

And there is nothing to stop Cochran and Crowe's supporters from coming on p.com and posting about their candidates.

I, for one, would like to know why Cochran and Crowe refuse to have a roundtable discussion on p.com with Pownall and Barnett.

Why won't they participate ?

I saw Todd at lunch today. He said he and David looked forward to a round table discussion. He said he could not speak for the other candidates. I know both men to be exceptionally qualified, honest, hard working, good candidates to represent us. Both have good hearts and both have a desire to serve us. Citizens of Paulding County will be well represented by both men. I told Todd I could just envision Beverly being asked to vote on something and her saying "wait a minute and let me see what Jerry wants me to do". Todd would not comment on my thoughts. When I bring up my dislike of Beverly for being Jerry's door guard, Todd will only discuss his qualifications.

Let me clarify. Neither Tony Crowe or Beverly Cochran have refused to appear for a roundtable. I talked to Tony, who, if you remember did not appear at the PBA or the Chamber but did sit for an interview in last weeks news. I mentioned this was something that he would might need to do but I recognized that getting him to stand still for an interview was tough.

I also put a call into Beverly Cochran last week when I was setting up the event with Rep. Stout and his challenger, Ms. Braddock. I mentioned what was up I think and asked she return my call. I've not received a call back.

I can say that it is an important decision whether a candidate chooses to appear in any venue. If a candidate, for any reason, believes they can only lose votes by appearing, they will almost universally choose not to appear.

Makes no difference what the public thinks or, in particular, what their opponents think. I would not fault them for this, BTW. It is a calculated risk to appear and it is their right not to do so.

All that said, if either Tony Crowe or Beverly Cochran wants to appear, we can do the round table with the three of them. Of course all the candidates are invited.

The format is totally without rules or structure. The three or four candidates will sit around a table and talk about what they think is important to the race. They can, like the first one with Tommie Graham, Todd Pownall, David Barnett and Adam Gregory, just shoot the breeze on the topics they think are of interest ... or they can visit briefly and agree, like Ms. Braddock and Rep. Stout, to each address and issue and raise an issue and discuss the issues raised.

The fact of the matter is that either Mr. Crowe or Ms. Cochran would be in a position to set the rules for their appearance ...

All that said, I think there is a fair chance one or the other will decide to call PCOM and say, 'lets do it.' ... I already know that Mr. Barnett and Mr. Pownall are eager and ready.

pubby

PS: But lets not beat them up on the issue because they may yet come through and choose to participate. All it takes is one call to set it up.

Whitey @ Surepip @ Animal I"m in the dark not being from here who is Jerry

Scorpio since neither Surepip nor Animal has responded to your post I will try and give you a response without being too negative and bias

Jerry was the County Commission Chairman from 2000 thru 2008 during his tenure we had a massive explosive growth in the housing industry. It is believed by many that most of the problems that the county faces today was caused by the explosive growth, And the inability/Desire to have a balanced growth of industrial/Commercial/ Manufacturing jobs along with the thousands of new homes that were being built.

A lot of folks claim that he ruled the county with a iron fist and that he catered to the Home building industry, He was also a powerful player in the local Republican party, And still has a large group of loyal followers, Some of which ran/Still running for office in this year’s Republican party primary.

Some of those running worked for the County under his Administration in various different capacities from building inspector/ To Administrative Assistant

A lot of the citizens disagreed with the way the County was being ran For instance a Airport that we did not want yet he forged ahead and built it, A reservoir that we did want and many think that he drug his feet on, And we suffered through a drought with some of the tightest restrictions in the State And many of the small business in the county suffered the most.

The administration also placed the County in debt for a $65 million dollar Courthouse, over $400 million in Sewer improvements once they are completed, The Building boom resulted in the need for over $200 million dollars in school bonds to build new schools, just to name a few expenditures of that administration. This resulted in a rapid increase in property taxes on a yearly basis.

In 2008 the citizens had enough and sent Jerry packing by I believe a 73% to 27% margin.

Many people believe that Jerry is trying to maintain control of the County Commission by getting certain people elected in this runoff that have been loyal to him over the years, And is certainly an issue in this upcoming election.

BTW Welcome to Paulding County and P.com the place for the most up to date news in the County, and you can always get both sides of the discussion here. The only fair and balanced discussions around

Scorpio since neither Surepip nor Animal has responded to your post I will try and give you a response without being too negative and bias

Jerry was the County Commission Chairman from 2000 thru 2008 during his tenure we had a massive explosive growth in the housing industry. It is believed by many that most of the problems that the county faces today was caused by the explosive growth, And the inability/Desire to have a balanced growth of industrial/Commercial/ Manufacturing jobs along with the thousands of new homes that were being built.

A lot of folks claim that he ruled the county with a iron fist and that he catered to the Home building industry, He was also a powerful player in the local Republican party, And still has a large group of loyal followers, Some of which ran/Still running for office in this year's Republican party primary.

Some of those running worked for the County under his Administration in various different capacities from building inspector/ To Administrative Assistant

A lot of the citizens disagreed with the way the County was being ran For instance a Airport that we did not want yet he forged ahead and built it, A reservoir that we did want and many think that he drug his feet on, And we suffered through a drought with some of the tightest restrictions in the State And many of the small business in the county suffered the most.

The administration also placed the County in debt for a $65 million dollar Courthouse, over $400 million in Sewer improvements once they are completed, The Building boom resulted in the need for over $200 million dollars in school bonds to build new schools, just to name a few expenditures of that administration. This resulted in a rapid increase in property taxes on a yearly basis.

In 2008 the citizens had enough and sent Jerry packing by I believe a 73% to 27% margin.

Many people believe that Jerry is trying to maintain control of the County Commission by getting certain people elected in this runoff that have been loyal to him over the years, And is certainly an issue in this upcoming election.

BTW Welcome to Paulding County and P.com the place for the most up to date news in the County, and you can always get both sides of the discussion here. The only fair and balanced discussions around

Thank"s for the class CLASS 101 HISTORY PAULDING COUNTY

Edited by scorpio

Jerry is the boogie-man who terrorizes Whitey and SurePip in their sleep each night.

And while you are dreaming, think about the $1Million+ the BOC has spend defending themselves and the developer buddy in our lawsuits, .....money spent just to keep us from getting into the courtroom, while laying off county employees and making others take furlough days.

We are just waiting for our day in court, and dreaming about that day.

And while you are dreaming, think about the $1Million+ the BOC has spend defending themselves and the developer buddy in our lawsuits, .....money spent just to keep us from getting into the courtroom, while laying off county employees and making others take furlough days.

We are just waiting for our day in court, and dreaming about that day.

Why won't David Austin give you your day in court?

Ok look at it for what it is,Beverly in a debate would be swallowed alive & so would what's his name. If your weak like Beverly on issues other than the decor of her past office,then you evade a debate. Simple it comes down who is real & qualified for the job. Beverly would be good for a secretary job like maybe take notes for Todd but not a commissoner. Now ask them why a good round table is not on there to do list?

If your scared say your scaredyahoo.gif

• Like 1

Let me clarify. Neither Tony Crowe or Beverly Cochran have refused to appear for a roundtable. I talked to Tony, who, if you remember did not appear at the PBA or the Chamber but did sit for an interview in last weeks news. I mentioned this was something that he would might need to do but I recognized that getting him to stand still for an interview was tough.

I also put a call into Beverly Cochran last week when I was setting up the event with Rep. Stout and his challenger, Ms. Braddock. I mentioned what was up I think and asked she return my call. I've not received a call back.

I can say that it is an important decision whether a candidate chooses to appear in any venue. If a candidate, for any reason, believes they can only lose votes by appearing, they will almost universally choose not to appear.

Makes no difference what the public thinks or, in particular, what their opponents think. I would not fault them for this, BTW. It is a calculated risk to appear and it is their right not to do so.

All that said, if either Tony Crowe or Beverly Cochran wants to appear, we can do the round table with the three of them. Of course all the candidates are invited.

The format is totally without rules or structure. The three or four candidates will sit around a table and talk about what they think is important to the race. They can, like the first one with Tommie Graham, Todd Pownall, David Barnett and Adam Gregory, just shoot the breeze on the topics they think are of interest ... or they can visit briefly and agree, like Ms. Braddock and Rep. Stout, to each address and issue and raise an issue and discuss the issues raised.

The fact of the matter is that either Mr. Crowe or Ms. Cochran would be in a position to set the rules for their appearance ...

All that said, I think there is a fair chance one or the other will decide to call PCOM and say, 'lets do it.' ... I already know that Mr. Barnett and Mr. Pownall are eager and ready.

pubby

PS: But lets not beat them up on the issue because they may yet come through and choose to participate. All it takes is one call to set it up.

Good to know for the record that all candidates have been invited to appear,And some have accepted.

I thought that the Stout Braddock round table was very interesting, And informative.

I would really like to see the commission candidates debate to see if what is being said in the door to door campaigns would be repeated for all to see and hear ????