Paulding.com

Yet another opportunity to clarify some mis-information!

I've been getting a lot of these opportunities lately.

So, here is the scoop...

1. I paid for the mail from my personal funds. The bill was $5,679.99. Elected officials have a budget with which we are supposed to communicate with our districts. The budget is around $7,000 for a typical Representative. Chairmen get more allowance for postage etc. In order for a mailing to qualify for reimbursement it must be sent to citizens regardless of their political affiliation. This mail was sent to Democrats and Republicans. I don't have the list of who it was sent to... but I know it was sent to Democrats because I have fielded many calls from constituents who were not happy about some of my stances. I will file for reimbursement for this expenditure.

2. The Stoneridge group provides legislative updates to many of the Representatives in the GA House. They are familiar with the list-serve rules and ensure the news-letters are sent to the appropriate mix of citizens. They were very professional and helpful. They also provide campaign services... but have never provided any for me, and are not related to my campaign in any way. Period.

3. News Junky and Madea- Both of y'all have my cell number. I'd appreciate it if you would please call me before posting "less-than-accurate" information. I'd be happy -in the future- to clarify these issues before they get posted.

Look, I recognize that PCom is not a Daniel Stout fan club... but I'd appreciate an attempt at honesty from those of you who post about me here.

Thanks,

Daniel

I'm sorry if you believe my update in post 35 was inaccurate.

So, here is the scoop...

1. I paid for the mail from my personal funds. The bill was $5,679.99. Elected officials have a budget with which we are supposed to communicate with our districts. The budget is around $7,000 for a typical Representative. Chairmen get more allowance for postage etc. In order for a mailing to qualify for reimbursement it must be sent to citizens regardless of their political affiliation. This mail was sent to Democrats and Republicans. I don't have the list of who it was sent to... but I know it was sent to Democrats because I have fielded many calls from constituents who were not happy about some of my stances. I will file for reimbursement for this expenditure.

2. The Stoneridge group provides legislative updates to many of the Representatives in the GA House. They are familiar with the list-serve rules and ensure the news-letters are sent to the appropriate mix of citizens. They were very professional and helpful. They also provide campaign services... but have never provided any for me, and are not related to my campaign in any way. Period.

3. News Junky and Madea- Both of y'all have my cell number. I'd appreciate it if you would please call me before posting "less-than-accurate" information. I'd be happy -in the future- to clarify these issues before they get posted.

Look, I recognize that PCom is not a Daniel Stout fan club... but I'd appreciate an attempt at honesty from those of you who post about me here.

Thanks,

Daniel

So, are you accusing me of being dishonest in my posts here?

I don't think I posted any information at all that was not accurate. I went with the estimate someone else stated and gave my opinion about the mailers coming from you or any other Representative or House Member. I know how to call and ask without having money spent on them. I would think any constituent could. That is not a slam against you at all. It is an opinion about money I think could be saved in the budget crunch we have.

Here's my original post . . .

I want to know if the Stout mailer went to each and every citizen in the 19th district, or if it only went to republicans. If you are a member of the 19th district, DID NOT vote in the last republican primary, AND received the mailer, please post here.

I'd also love to hear from someone in the printing industry as to how much this slick mailing would have cost.

Off to figure out who "The Stoneridge Group" is.

here's my update . . .

UPDATE:

Stout paid for the mailers from his own personal funds. It is a reimbursable expense as a representative and he will be seeking reimbursement. The mailer was sent to a mix of district 19 households, but not all, and met the requirements for reimbursement.

My questions are answered. Do with it what you will.

Here's an additional response

I never thought it was illegal. I just had some questions.

Mr. Stout indicated this cost approx. $5k. Multiply that by 180 districts and see how much the State (i.e., your tax dollars) spent on these. I'm wondering if Howard Maxwell sent these out to the 17th district?

So, after having given this a bit of thought, how is what you posted below very different from what I put in post 35? How dare you accuse me of being dishonest when my original post was simply full of questions. When the questions were answered, I posted the response.

So, here is the scoop...

Thanks,

Daniel

And while I am quite proud to call NewJunky my friend, the ONLY discussion she and I have had about this issue is entirely right here on pcom for everyone to see. The only "less than accurate" post she made she immediately corrected.

I began the thread wanting to know who received the mailer. I requested, but didn't get, one person who said they received it but did not vote in the republican primary. I wanted to know where it went. I really don't see this as a good use of taxpayer funds in light of the current economy. I'm guessing by her posts that NewJunky is on board with that as well. If every representative participated in this program that's over 1 million dollars. Does that represent "true conservatism" to you?

here's my update . . .

So, after having given this a bit of thought, how is what you posted below very different from what I put in post 35? How dare you accuse me of being dishonest when my original post was simply full of questions. When the questions were answered, I posted the response.

And while I am quite proud to call NewJunky my friend, the ONLY discussion she and I have had about this issue is entirely right here on pcom for everyone to see. The only "less than accurate" post she made she immediately corrected.

I began the thread wanting to know who received the mailer. I requested, but didn't get, one person who said they received it but did not vote in the republican primary. I wanted to know where it went. I really don't see this as a good use of taxpayer funds in light of the current economy. I'm guessing by her posts that NewJunky is on board with that as well. If every representative participated in this program that's over 1 million dollars. Does that represent "true conservatism" to you?

I guess Daniel went to bed. No answer to my question.

here's my update . . .

I think it is a good use of tax payer money because it keeps us informed as to what our elected leaders are doing. The Franking Privilege goes back to the 1775 when the Founding Fathers set it up even before the nation was founded. The Franking Privilege has never been questioned during any depression or "bad" economic time, but it is in this thread.

I think the fair thing to do would be to not have to wait until post 35 to get the "all ok" out. Maybe you can get a moderator to edit your original post. That way everybody can see immediately there was nothing wrong with the mailer and people who don't wade through 35 posts won't get the wrong idea. Otherwise it looks like the whole thread was designed to make people think Stout did something wrong and knowing most people won't read 34 more posts, it makes it look bad. Just saying that we need to be fair and honest in this.

And don't think I'm a Stout fan because I'm not. I won't vote for him, but I think he got treated unfairly in this thread.

My take on this subject,when given an answer people still take shots. Enough is enough folks. He answered plain and simple,now move on.

I took the time to meet Mr.Stout in the last few functions. He was pretty informed and answered my questions on gun rights. Look he might have had a cloudy youth at 19,but that was then and if there is anyone out there who is pure throw the first stone. I want the canidates to come back on here,they won't if there attacked all the time.

Meet this guy in person,meet some of the others running. There all great patriots,there stepping out to run for an office.

I think we should have a function where we all get to drink & have a great time. :drinks: :drinks:

I think it is a good use of tax payer money because it keeps us informed as to what our elected leaders are doing. The Franking Privilege goes back to the 1775 when the Founding Fathers set it up even before the nation was founded. The Franking Privilege has never been questioned during any depression or "bad" economic time, but it is in this thread.

I think the fair thing to do would be to not have to wait until post 35 to get the "all ok" out. Maybe you can get a moderator to edit your original post. That way everybody can see immediately there was nothing wrong with the mailer and people who don't wade through 35 posts won't get the wrong idea. Otherwise it looks like the whole thread was designed to make people think Stout did something wrong and knowing most people won't read 34 more posts, it makes it look bad. Just saying that we need to be fair and honest in this.

And don't think I'm a Stout fan because I'm not. I won't vote for him, but I think he got treated unfairly in this thread.

Great idea!

I have not made my decision in this race and for the first part of this thread my personal thought was, "not another politician doing something we have to look into!" I realized when I did get to the end it was standard practice and above board, but you are right, how many of us read all of these threads from first to last post. Whether intended or not, it does seem to cast him in a bad light from the beginning. (and the jabs along the way do not help)

I do think everyone does deserve and have a right to question anything they are concerned with during a campaign and beyond, but I also see that some questions (not saying here) take on a life of their own, so posting an answer back to the original question does seem to be the best way to handle some of these political concerns. Really good idea ST!

State representatives and senators do not have franking priviledges - only senators and representatives serving in the US Congress. This is a pet peeve of mine. Plus, I will restate my problem with the mailer - he touts passing bills that were vetoed.

State representatives and senators do not have franking priviledges - only senators and representatives serving in the US Congress. This is a pet peeve of mine. Plus, I will restate my problem with the mailer - he touts passing bills that were vetoed.

The point is that sending out mailers to let the people know what their representative is doing has been around since the 17th century. That is what this is and Stout had the right to do it and he did it the right way. All representatives do this and talk about bills "passed" but may not eventually have been implemented. Every politician does this and I would hope you're going to give the same scrutiny to other legislative updates as you are to this one.

You are proving the point that this thread is not about the legitimacy of the mailer but the politics of a campaign. That is what I have a problem with.

The point is that sending out mailers to let the people know what their representative is doing has been around since the 17th century. That is what this is and Stout had the right to do it and he did it the right way. All representatives do this and talk about bills "passed" but may not eventually have been implemented. Every politician does this and I would hope you're going to give the same scrutiny to other legislative updates as you are to this one.

You are proving the point that this thread is not about the legitimacy of the mailer but the politics of a campaign. That is what I have a problem with.

With me it was never more than about tax payer money spent to do it. I have a right to my opinion about that just as GOP Rules and others have a right to their opinion about millage rates in Paulding County. I never tried to throw any mud on this candidate. I don't care who is sending them out I don't think tax dollars should be paying for them in this budget crunch. If this candidate or any other would bring a bill or resolution to stop doing it until the economy is better I would think they really cared about the folks who are having trouble making ends meet. I have a right to that opinion and I do not appreciate being called dishonest by anyone because I have stated my opinion!!!!

I also think there should be some rules about when they can be sent out because I do see how a mailer could give an Incumbent a slight advantage. That is true for all of them not just the candidate mentioned in this thread.

Truth be told, I don't believe anything from anyone that I receive in a mailer. I know enough about the legislature to know that Stout (as a freshman) does not have the ability or clout to pass anything and to say that he did is just downright silly and offensive.

I've read and re-read this thread several times and each time, I'm bothered by Rep. Stout's response to it. Instead of simply saying that he had clarified with Madea how the mailers were paid for, he made it sound as if she were somehow spreading "mis-information" about him. I've always thought that you could easily judge someone by how they react to adversity. In this case, there was no adversity. There was, however, a candidate who seems a little too sensitive about answering a question on if or how he spends our tax dollars. Maybe I'm mistaken, but this is definitely something to consider as the election draws near.

• Like 1

I talked with Howard Maxwell, State Representative for District 17 (Paulding/Haralson). Mr. Maxwell did not send an informative mailer this year. In fact in approximately 8 years as a representative he has only sent 2. I'm not going to take the time to poll the remaining 178 representatives.

I had a fair question . . . who's money paid for this mailing. And I fairly and honestly posted the response that I received. I never suggested that Stout had done anything illegal. I have my own thoughts about why it was sent.

• Like 1

So, here is the scoop...

Thanks,

Daniel

When you say "personal funds", are you talking about you and your wife's checking account or are you talking about some funds that have been set aside for state representatives?

If it is the latter, I just see it as using the funds to get your name in front of as many people as you can. You might have technically and legally worded the document so it was not a misuse of funds, but a lot of us see through the smoke.

Six lousy months, I don't think there is a need for a report. The money would have been better used to keep 50 teachers in the classroom for a day. :wacko:

This is the kind of "business as usual" behavior that I want to see out of the capital. Everyone in the state has changed the way they spend to some degree. I don't see a need for the reps to have money set aside to "inform their constituents". My God, we have news on television 24/7. Just do your job and cut the spending.

I'd say that little mailer was a bad move on your part Daniel.

So, here is the scoop...

Thanks,

Daniel

Well, I did speak to Mr. Stout yesterday and he knows that the information I posted here was not inaccurate or dishonest. I am still waiting for that apology! I guess it will be a long wait.sad.gif

Well, I did speak to Mr. Stout yesterday and he knows that the information I posted here was not inaccurate or dishonest. I am still waiting for that apology! I guess it will be a long wait.sad.gif

Sounds like Richardson left his old play book in his desk when he left office.

I believe we have had enough boneheaded arrogance occupying this office to last us a lifetime.

Probably. For the record, I did NOT have Mr. Stout's number when I started this thread.

Sounds like Richardson left his old play book in his desk when he left office.

I believe we have had enough boneheaded arrogance occupying this office to last us a lifetime.

Completely unrelated, but just some info, the company that prepared Stout's mailer also lists Richardson as a client.

So, here is the scoop...

Thanks,

Daniel

Do you automatically assume only those voters in this district who disagree with you are Democrats? I have news for you, this REPUBLICAN who lives in the district you currently represent does not agree with you, nor will I be voting for you.

So, here is the scoop...

Thanks,

Daniel

Just because it is there don't mean you have to spend it??????????????????????????????????????

Well, I live in District 19 , and I have always voted. I did not receive a mailer, guess I don't count.

You know these candidates take a lot for granted. Just saying.

I think part of Madea's original question was about whether both Democrats and Republicans received this flier. I have looked at it again and I wondered why it was sent out during a primary with other Republicans? I guess if he lost the primary there would be no point. I still have a problem with any elected official having this kind of money available to be spent on expensive mailers. ANY of them. I don't care who they are. With the Internet, telephones, and post office available I think most any constituent could get their questions answered very quickly and cheaply. If they don't care enough to ask then they really don't care enough to get answers they did not ask for. Especially when the cost to the taxpayer is so high. JMO

Just because it is there don't mean you have to spend it??????????????????????????????????????

That's what I'm talking about! It only took this guy six months to become a political whore. We need a war on politicians pissing away money. This guy has no business holding public office.

That's what I'm talking about! It only took this guy six months to become a political whore. We need a war on politicians pissing away money. This guy has no business holding public office.

NOT EVEN!!! He served 19 DAYS! during the session

I talked with Howard Maxwell, State Representative for District 17 (Paulding/Haralson). Mr. Maxwell did not send an informative mailer this year. In fact in approximately 8 years as a representative he has only sent 2. I'm not going to take the time to poll the remaining 178 representatives.

I had a fair question . . . who's money paid for this mailing. And I fairly and honestly posted the response that I received. I never suggested that Stout had done anything illegal. I have my own thoughts about why it was sent.

Does Howard have opposition this year? He has been the luckest person, I don't think he has ever had opposition. So

this may be the reason he has not sent them, maybe you should check with someone that has opposition.

Before my friend got booted off, she said the same thing about Congressman Phil Gingreyand was met with some hostility.

Please show where those that "met with some hostility" are the same ones unhappy with Stout.

Does Howard have opposition this year? He has been the luckest person, I don't think he has ever had opposition. So

this may be the reason he has not sent them, maybe you should check with someone that has opposition.

No, he does not have opposition. I only checked with Paulding reps. I truly don't have time to poll 178 additional representatives.

• 2 weeks later...

NOT EVEN!!! He served 19 DAYS! during the session

Serving 19 days and he wants to talk about "his record"?

Now, I'm getting cards from someone in our subdivision that wants us all to vote for him because "he voted like he said he would". Something doesn't smell right here.

Based on the tone of Stout's remarks and other undertones I think I'll let him sit the next session out.