Paulding.com

Bringing Industrial/Manufacturing Jobs to Paulding

It is pretty common knowledge Paulding needs well paying JOBS other than BOE, Big Box Retail, and Burger Flipping.

We have location. We have 278 and 92 and 61 with reasonable access to the interstates. We are convienent to the Atlanta Airport and we now have our Paulding Airport as well.

We have one of the world's largest Intermodal yard less than 10 miles away in Powder Springs. That Norfolk Southern facility is the same as a deep water port. A container comes of the boat today in Savannah and is hooked up to a tractor trailer at the Powder Springs facitily the next morning.

We have a well educated work force who would flood any HR office taking local applications.

But we do not have any nice, Class A well planned and developed Business Parks with warehousing and combined office space.

A Widget manufacturer, or any other type of goods wants to see available buildings ready to move into with a reasonable 5 year lease. Some want rail siding, just about all require multiple dock height loading doors to back semis/tractor trailers up to for unloading and reloading goods. They want a nice looking park with covenants, wide roadways for the tractor trailers and appealing buildings with some trees left standing and nice landscaping. But they are NOT going to come in and build their own building. It just does not work that way. Like most home buyers, they want to come in and see buildings ready to move into and possibly change the office layouts.

So how do our various candidates for the Legislature and BOC plan to address attracting industry to Paulding ?

I know we have a Chamber of Commerce, but we really need to invest in our infrastructure before big business will come. The airport is a great start, but our traffic, especially Hyw 278 & Hwy 92 around the Hiram area is a serious problem. For a semi-truck coming from the Powder Springs rail yard to Dallas during rush hour, traffic is horrendous. We need a better way to get to Hwy 41, I-20, etc.

I love the discussion regarding industrial growth. A rail line is key. There are a couple of properties for sale with rail access (over near the Dallas wood yard comes to mind), but before a serious manufacturer will come here, we need $Big money invested up front. I'd love to see a metal recycling facility go in, the problem is there aren't enough manufacturing facilities around to buy their scrap from, so businesses are more apt to go to Marietta or to the Fulton Industrial area. What about a cold storage facility like seafood, meats and frozen foods? Why not try to lure one to Paulding giving tax breaks and other incentives? Intermodal warehousing?

It can be done, the local politicians need to get off their wazoo and make it happen.

Another thing that Paulding has no shortage of is foreclosed upon developed land. It is unfortunate that so many subdivisions have been left sitting there. Why don't we take advantage of some of that land. It can be sold for low prices. It already has roads, utilities, and other infrastructures installed, and could be used to attract larger industries. We must face the facts right now. Hiram retail has expanded as far as it can for now, the home building industry is all but gone, and there are only so many restaurants that need employees. I think that rezoning some of this foreclosed bank owned land would provide incentive for industry to think about us.

Will Avery

I know we have a Chamber of Commerce, but we really need to invest in our infrastructure before big business will come. The airport is a great start, but our traffic, especially Hyw 278 & Hwy 92 around the Hiram area is a serious problem. For a semi-truck coming from the Powder Springs rail yard to Dallas during rush hour, traffic is horrendous. We need a better way to get to Hwy 41, I-20, etc.

I love the discussion regarding industrial growth. A rail line is key. There are a couple of properties for sale with rail access (over near the Dallas wood yard comes to mind), but before a serious manufacturer will come here, we need $Big money invested up front. I'd love to see a metal recycling facility go in, the problem is there aren't enough manufacturing facilities around to buy their scrap from, so businesses are more apt to go to Marietta or to the Fulton Industrial area. What about a cold storage facility like seafood, meats and frozen foods? Why not try to lure one to Paulding giving tax breaks and other incentives? Intermodal warehousing?

It can be done, the local politicians need to get off their wazoo and make it happen.

Assuming the SPLOST passes, the East Hiram Parkway will alleviate a great deal of the afternoon Hiram SPrawl by allowing a large number of cars to get off 278 at what is now Cleburne Parkway. It should help quite a bit.

There is discussions of some sort concerning the old stinky fields which are also adjacent to the NS tracks. But for a developer to come here the county is going to have to offer to work with them to build a nice industrial/office/warehouse park and to date that has never happened.

And I am afraid the Industrial Building Authority has spent its money on the airport terminal.

Assuming the SPLOST passes, the East Hiram Parkway will alleviate a great deal of the afternoon Hiram SPrawl by allowing a large number of cars to get off 278 at what is now Cleburne Parkway. It should help quite a bit.

There is discussions of some sort concerning the old stinky fields which are also adjacent to the NS tracks. But for a developer to come here the county is going to have to offer to work with them to build a nice industrial/office/warehouse park and to date that has never happened.

And I am afraid the Industrial Building Authority has spent its money on the airport terminal.

Speaking of the "stinky fields" who in the county, or why would the county allow a developer to build a sub-division nearly right on top of the spray fields, knowing chances are highly unlikely that the homes would sell because of the smell?

As far as that goes why would a financial institution lend to a developer while possesing the same information?

just sayin

Edited by dapandlap

State highways, the County cannot touch them, sorry.

Just because a property borders a rail line does not mean the railroad will allow a spur. Many have tried this already and failed. There is one spot in the County that the Railroad has already approved a rail spur, the old spray fields on Bill Curruth Pkwy. The County is already working on developing a large heavy industrial park with heavy rail access. This is just one project in the works right now.

Another thing that Paulding has no shortage of is foreclosed upon developed land. It is unfortunate that so many subdivisions have been left sitting there. Why don't we take advantage of some of that land. It can be sold for low prices. It already has roads, utilities, and other infrastructures installed, and could be used to attract larger industries. We must face the facts right now. Hiram retail has expanded as far as it can for now, the home building industry is all but gone, and there are only so many restaurants that need employees. I think that rezoning some of this foreclosed bank owned land would provide incentive for industry to think about us.

Will Avery

Really? Do you think a national bank would agree to this? Maybe if someone (County) purchased the land from the bank first, for the price the bank wants. But where is the County going to get the money to purchase the land? And for an industrial company to purchase a "foreclosed" subdivision would cost them 3 times the purchase price to be able to build on it. All the roads, utilities and other infrastructure would have to be removed before they could do anything. Office parks would not work either as there are no planned parking, plus most of these properties are in residential areas. Just something to think about.

Speaking of the "stinky fields" who in the county, or why would the county allow a developer to build a sub-division nearly right on top of the spray fields, knowing chances are highly unlikely that the homes would sell because of the smell?

As far as that goes why would a financial institution lend to a developer while possesing the same information?

just sayin

Actually, that subdivision sold out phase one really quickly, but the builders did not see the downturn in the market and kept building phase 2. Phase 3 didn't get too far before the bank took it all back. There are a lot of stories about these properties! Most of it true.

It is pretty common knowledge Paulding needs well paying JOBS other than BOE, Big Box Retail, and Burger Flipping.

We have location. We have 278 and 92 and 61 with reasonable access to the interstates. We are convienent to the Atlanta Airport and we now have our Paulding Airport as well.

We have one of the world's largest Intermodal yard less than 10 miles away in Powder Springs. That Norfolk Southern facility is the same as a deep water port. A container comes of the boat today in Savannah and is hooked up to a tractor trailer at the Powder Springs facitily the next morning.

We have a well educated work force who would flood any HR office taking local applications.

But we do not have any nice, Class A well planned and developed Business Parks with warehousing and combined office space.

A Widget manufacturer, or any other type of goods wants to see available buildings ready to move into with a reasonable 5 year lease. Some want rail siding, just about all require multiple dock height loading doors to back semis/tractor trailers up to for unloading and reloading goods. They want a nice looking park with covenants, wide roadways for the tractor trailers and appealing buildings with some trees left standing and nice landscaping. But they are NOT going to come in and build their own building. It just does not work that way. Like most home buyers, they want to come in and see buildings ready to move into and possibly change the office layouts.

So how do our various candidates for the Legislature and BOC plan to address attracting industry to Paulding ?

Just attempting to clarify your position :

Are you contending that the government (state or local) should use

taxpayer dollars to bankroll the building of these industrial business parks ???

:huh:

taxpayer dollars to bankroll the building of these industrial business parks ???

Only if you want it to happen. Yes, it has been done in many places with much success.

But here in Paulding we let our IBA and general county fund pay out more than $5million in the last year to build the airport terminal and the parkway road going into the airport. But not a square foot of space to rent for a warehouse or buisnsess with "government fund".

Is there a way to get Paulding into the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical area? A lot of companies miss us because we aren't included in the list of counties in that area. Douglas County is.

Just look at the census --- Paulding was included in the region that was headquartered in Dalton!!!

• Like 1

No, we really don't. We are 30 mins from any interstate compounded by traffic.

Will Avery

So let's sandwich a few industrial parks in zoned residential areas? wacko.gif

That's what I was going to ask. I don't think so. I don't think the government should go into that development. Maybe you could court a developer willing to take the risk.

Oh, wait. You've alienated all the developers.

Is there a way to get Paulding into the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical area? A lot of companies miss us because we aren't included in the list of counties in that area. Douglas County is.

Just look at the census --- Paulding was included in the region that was headquartered in Dalton!!!

I expect there will be a change AFTER the Census is tallied. Our ranking should match Cherokee County.

Only if you want it to happen. Yes, it has been done in many places with much success.

But here in Paulding we let our IBA and general county fund pay out more than $5million in the last year to build the airport terminal and the parkway road going into the airport. But not a square foot of space to rent for a warehouse or buisnsess with "government fund".

The IBA did not fund the terminal building. It was aquired by other sources. Try again.

In some reports we are included, some we are not. I guess it depends on who's doing the reports.

No, we really don't.  We are 30 mins from any interstate compounded by traffic.

So let's sandwich a few industrial parks in zoned residential areas?  wacko.gif

That's what I was going to ask.  I don't think so.  I don't think the government should go into that development.  Maybe you could court a developer willing to take the risk.

Oh, wait.  You've alienated all the developers.

Virtually every tractor trailer coming out of the Powder Springs Intermodal yard which is going West towards North Alabama or I-75 towards Chattanooga comes right through Paulding County. They turn right on 92 heading to I75 or continue West on 278 and head towards Alabama. That is considered good access.

The Paulding PRD ROBBER BARPOM MEGA DEVELOPERS wanted nothing to do with Industrial Business Parks. They did not know how to do them and make near the profits.

WE had an industrial development group from Birmingham who wanted to buy the 60 acres we had a first option on as well as the balance of what is not Palidsades. The Developer of Palisades could have made a quick $1.5Million just for flipping the property to the Birmingham Group and walking away. Watch the video of the December 2005 BOC meeting where I implore the BOC to get involved any make Palisades an industrial park instead of more empty lots. 3 of the 4 members of the BOC at that time all took large political donations from the Developer, don't you think they could have sat down with him and tried to get him to do an industrial park ?

The primary thing now holding Paulding back from obtaining larger manufacturing and warehousing as well as light industrial is the fact there are so very, very few places for a business to lease an acceptable space.

The old large Marietta Industrial Park behind the CocaCola facitily was build by the Cobb Marietta Industrial Authority as are many of our large inddustrial parks around the State.

I have always liked the idea of a public-private partnership. The Paulding IBA should partner with a large Industrial space developer like Selig or a similar group with industrial space and infrastructure development experience. The IBA could, through the issuance of bonds or by other means, finance the infrastructure development such as rough grading, streets, water, and sewer, along with Greystone providing high power underground 3 phase service and AGL providing high pressure/volume natural gas to and within the development. The partner agrees to pay back an agreed upon portion of the bonds through proceeds from the development, thus sharing the cost. The partner could then at their expense, build expandable and conjoinable industrial space, some with heavy rail.

Surepip is right, that if we want it, we have to at least make the down payment on it. Many municipalities have increased their industrial tax base this way. In fact, in the long run, Industry requires much less infrastructure than does residential development. The biggest difference is that they don't have kids in school, and pay much more per acre in property tax.

As for the conversion of residential developed land, the infrastructure in place for residential development is in the most part way to slim for industrial development, so the fact that it is "already developed" is of no benefit. Plus, and I know that our previous BOC didn't care about this either, we really don't want heavy industry next to residential developments or where the industrial traffic would be a problem for neighborhoods. If a PVC farm exists in Paulding that is suitable for heavy industrial development, then I am unaware of it. I agree that the old spray fields may be the best bet, although some residential development has already encroached. Rail is key.

Actually, that subdivision sold out phase one really quickly, but the builders did not see the downturn in the market and kept building phase 2. Phase 3 didn't get too far before the bank took it all back. There are a lot of stories about these properties! Most of it true.

The subdivision next to the spray fields, I don't remember the name, has not sold one home in over three years!

Actually, there is some news on this front.

There is a group of business folks - primarily associated with the chamber which has had some responsibility for industrial development - that seeks to fill the gap.

They've been presenting to the county and city governments asking for start-up money.

We've had some coverage of this going back to the first months that David Austin was in office. This is the result of his effort to get some help out of folks at Georgia Tech's economic development group.

They've apparently been visiting dedicated development authorities in places like Douglas and Carrol counties presumably learning some of the lessons those counties have learned over the years.

The county or cities, I understand, have not yet taken any action on the plan proposed by this group.

Given the theme of this topic - the county and its leaders should do more to lure new jobs to the county - this seems a move in the right direction.

pubby

That's great if a private group is willing to take that risk, but I'm not prepared to vote for going on the hook for that kind of $$$$. Not willing to take that kind of chance in these economic times.

That's great if a private group is willing to take that risk, but I'm not prepared to vote for going on the hook for that kind of $$$$. Not willing to take that kind of chance in these economic times.

The timing is a dilemma with no clear answer. Right now would be the perfect time to prepare for any coming economic expansion if you assume that we are near the bottom of the business cycle. It also is probably the most affordable time to acquire commercial and industrial property in the last 20 years, or for the foreseeable future, again with the assumption that the economy won't totally tank on the next truly bad news.

The obvious problem is that with all the belt tightening going on right now, it could be economically painful and political suicide to propose that we invest now for an incalculable payoff in the future. Such public investments, while usually very good for the community, can not be guaranteed or even accurately quantified.

And whose neighborhood would you like to build these? <_<

The subdivision next to the spray fields, I don't remember the name, has not sold one home in over three years!

Regency Park, at the red light, is the one I'm talking about. The other one north of the fields I do not know it's name, nor have I looked up it records. I know all about Regency Park as I was hired by the foreclosing bank to research it in detail.

And whose neighborhood would you like to build these? <_<

We were willing to have all the land around our little oasis go industrial. Had it happened when we started dealing with the strawman in 2002-2003, it would be half or more built out by now, and it surely would have been easier on us than what the developer did to us.

Palisades has the Cadillac industrial park to the west, with Heavy Industrial [a company who unloads Chlorine and Sulphuric Acid from rail cars to big storage tanks, where they pump it into tanker trucks for delivery]MG International to the East, with the new hospital campus adjacent. So of course, put a 500 house PRD in the middle of it.

I believe you're speaking of Berkleigh Trails. That subdivision started out "From the $340's" and it now says "From the $280's".

There are 15 homes in that subdivision. I saw the web site that 12 are for sale so the others were sold to someone who didn't do their research before buying there.

"Don't miss your chance to live in one of Northwest Atlanta's most sought after locations, Berkleigh Trails in Hiram". Yeah, right.

One of the homes has been dropped from $335,500 to $199,000. A 40% drop.

Another dropped from $388,900 to $249,900. A 36% drop.

Nice big home. Stay indoors during the summer and enjoy your house. Because you really don't want to come outside and inhale deeply. Also, take in the views from the bedrooms at the top of your big fancy home. View the fountains on the lakes - oops, those are water sprayers on the holding ponds. Sorry.

Edited by Georgia Dawg

The county has a comany that wants to bring $45 million dollars into the community (which will circulate 9 times through the community) and they can't get anyone in the county to call them back because our Commissioner has told them not to.ose Does that make ANY sense when people need jobs? I'm sure those that backed that race will make excuses, but I am mad about it because they say they are pursuing economic development, but its just talk as usual.

The water reservoir deal is also dead because of our leadership now...

The county has a comany that wants to bring $45 million dollars into the community (which will circulate 9 times through the community) and they can't get anyone in the county to call them back because our Commissioner has told them not to.ose Does that make ANY sense when people need jobs? I'm sure those that backed that race will make excuses, but I am mad about it because they say they are pursuing economic development, but its just talk as usual.

The water reservoir deal is also dead because of our leadership now...

Who has this company tried to talk to and what type of business is it? The County has pretty clear goals on the types of businesses they want to bring in. If you do not want to discuss this openly, feel free to send my a private message.

And at last weeks BOC meeting, the County hired a new consultant to finish the application process for the reservior. The problem is not with the County, the Corp of Engineers has been delaying (and changing) the application for the required permits.

Who has this company tried to talk to and what type of business is it? The County has pretty clear goals on the types of businesses they want to bring in. If you do not want to discuss this openly, feel free to send my a private message.

And at last weeks BOC meeting, the County hired a new consultant to finish the application process for the reservior. The problem is not with the County, the Corp of Engineers has been delaying (and changing) the application for the required permits.

Thank you Winchester as I was about to ask the same thing.

Why manufacturing or industrial? We really don't have the infrastructure for that. Why not more technology jobs or something of that nature?

What infrastructure do we not have for light manufacturing and warehousing ?

Other than the fact we have no buildings sitting there ready to lease, we have everything they need, plus some.

What are we missing ?

Why manufacturing or industrial? We really don't have the infrastructure for that. Why not more technology jobs or something of that nature?

We don't have the infrastructure for housing either, so it is built. Lots of options when you can build the infrastructure to fit the needs instead of the other way around.

Technology and medical are just two fields the County are seeking now, along with aviation. And we are only a few miles from 2 major interstates now, plans are in place to ease access to both of them.

Oh, let's see. An interstate. pardon.gif

With the Norfolk Southern Intermodal yards less than 10 miles down 278 ?

Where do you get the idea light manufacturing and warehousing needs an interstate ? They need a buidling accessible to trucks and workers.

The WallMart Southeastern Logistics Warehouse facility, where most of the goods for all WallyWorld Stores in the Southeast are shipped from is in Douglas, Ga. and is 40 miles from an interstate.

Just curious as to why you feel an interstate is a requirement.