Paulding.com

Quick Tip from Harbor Bay Landscaping for Metro Atlanta Homeowners

Here's an inexpensive way to get your lawn off to a great start this Spring:

Fill a hose-end sprayer half full of ammonia and half full of beer and water your lawn. This mixture is good for 2,500 square feet of your yard. So, depending on how big your lawn is, this will probably cover most of your front or back yard.

The ammonia gives the grass nitrogen which makes it greener. The yeast in the beer helps decompose the thatch (the build-up of dead grass and roots that prevents new growth).

Fill a hose-end sprayer half full of ammonia and half full of beer and water your lawn. This mixture is good for 2,500 square feet of your yard. So, depending on how big your lawn is, this will probably cover most of your front or back yard.

The ammonia gives the grass nitrogen which makes it greener. The yeast in the beer helps decompose the thatch (the build-up of dead grass and roots that prevents new growth).

Wow, thank you. I had never heard that, and our lawn is pitiful!! The people who lived here before never mowed, there are bare patches, and lots of weeds. Its not purdy. So what happens if you use the ammonia for the lawn and drink the beer? :drinks: :D

Are you sure it won't blow up?? :o :lol:

And, can you use it on sod?

Are you sure it won't blow up?? :o :lol:

And, can you use it on sod?

No, it won't blow up. =@ :D We really are trying to help p.commers, not inflict death by water hose. :D

And, it works great on sod. Of course, too much of a good thing isn't a good thing. It would only need to be done once in the spring and once around the end of June or the beginning of July.

Please let us know how it works for you!

Did I ever tell you how much I :wub: that billboard! :D

Wow, thank you. I had never heard that, and our lawn is pitiful!! The people who lived here before never mowed, there are bare patches, and lots of weeds. Its not purdy. So what happens if you use the ammonia for the lawn and drink the beer? :drinks: :D

What happens is, after beer no. 4 or 5 be sure to make sure that you actually have the beer in your hand before taking a sip (not the other stuff). Also, try not to yell "Hey" too much at your husband while he's spraying, while said beer is in your hand. Your neighbors will think you are a redneck :ninja:

This is a great tip! I am going to have MrB try it. I sounds cheap and my yard is in a sad, sad state.

Edited by MrsB

What happens is, after beer no. 4 or 5 be sure to make sure that you actually have the beer in your hand before taking a sip (not the other stuff). Also, try not to yell "Hey" too much at your husband while he's spraying, while said beer is in your hand. Your neighbors will think you are a redneck :ninja:

This is a great tip! I am going to have MrB try it. I sounds cheap and my yard is in a sad, sad state.

LOL! :rofl: "Hey!" "Hey!"

I'll let you know how well it works.

That's really a unique idea. I can't wait to try it.

We aren't beer drinkers here (only liquor) so I guess I'll break down and buy a six pack and find someone to drink the rest. Any takers??????

By the way, what about all this rain we've had? Will it wash this away where we will have to reapply before June/July????

That's really a unique idea. I can't wait to try it.

We aren't beer drinkers here (only liquor) so I guess I'll break down and buy a six pack and find someone to drink the rest. Any takers??????

By the way, what about all this rain we've had? Will it wash this away where we will have to reapply before June/July????

Save the extra beer for slug pubs. With all this rain, they are bound to be bad this year. Saucers of beer around were you see signs of them (even stale or flat)will attract them. They crawl in and drown. You just have to toss them out & refill the saucers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...