Paulding.com

Authorities delay release of

We already know he made the attempt. Yes, it's important we know about the attempt. However, unless he endangered or planned to endanger another person, I just don't see how anyone could benefit by knowing the details.

Maybe it's just morbid curiosity, kind of like not being able to take your eyes off a train wreck.

I agree that we don't need to know more information about the attempt. He has already made a statement admitting that the reports are true. However, I think that the delay of the incident report will do nothing but shroud the event and make people wonder if there is more to the story than what as already been openly spoken about.

It does make me sad that a man of such power would seek to kill himself.

As is typical of the AJC, the article is misleading. There is no "Delay". The jurisdiction has up to 3 business days from the either the date the requested records are complete or the date of the GORA request, which ever is later. Corp Gurley said that it "might take "the full three days" for the department to provide a copy of the police incident report and 911 tape." Just exactly how is that "delaying the release of the report. Typical biased, inaccurate reporting by the AJC. Paulding County is complying with the law.

Actually, the issue is simply the state law that establishes that incident reports are public record.

It is a tacit violation to not release the report and it appears from the article that the county will, within the three-day limit based on the request, comply with that request to the letter of the law. (I.e. come-by, pick it up and pay 50 cents a page or some such).

Those in the media, particularly the metro media, do seek and expect to have positive relations and the SO is also desirous of positive relations. Hence, items like incident reports are routinely provided in a more timely basis and with no charge.

And that is the subject of this particular story... the AJC, because the SO didn't do back-flips to get them the info requested, basically went off and pouted because the SO, in this case, didn't immediately cooperate as they are accustomed.

Why didn't they?

Well, I can only assume that the Sheriff is the Speaker's friend and he's not going to do anything that he doesn't have to do ... which frankly, is as it should be. But he will do it, as that is the law and his office will comply with the law.

pubby

The reason I posted this was because I hadn't seen it here yet. Not that Pubby hadn't spoken about on his news thingy- but I don't watch that. Everything Paulding should be made available to everyone Paulding. I am not trying to stir crap up.

And that is the subject of this particular story... the AJC, because the SO didn't do back-flips to get them the info requested, basically went off and pouted because the SO, in this case, didn't immediately cooperate as they are accustomed.

Why didn't they?

Well, I can only assume that the Sheriff is the Speaker's friend and he's not going to do anything that he doesn't have to do ... which frankly, is as it should be. But he will do it, as that is the law and his office will comply with the law.

pubby

Pubby, perhaps you would answer me this: What is the story here?

I have to wonder, if it was an incident where anybody else in the world attempted to kill the Speaker of the Ga House (whoever it might be at the time) do you think there would there be such a delay in releasing the reports? If not, then why the delay because he himself attempted to kill the Speaker of the Ga House? What's the difference? Seems to me that the story is that we almost had a major change in our government that could affect all of Georgia, for whatever reason.

There are incidents of this type in the area all the time that don't get press because they are not public figures. Lets face it, it's not called "Public Office" for no reason. Any politician knows going in that anything that happens to him will be news.

That said, I don't agree with his politics and won't vote for him, but I do wish him well as a person. Our family just a close incident with something like this, so from my heart I truly hope he will do whatever is required to get well.

Sound Guy:

I think the local SO saw that their taking their time getting it out was probably sending the wrong message and if I'm not mistaken, the key info, including the 911 call, have been released.

I'll be stopping by tomorrow to get a copy myself.

pubby

Sound Guy:

I think the local SO saw that their taking their time getting it out was probably sending the wrong message and if I'm not mistaken, the key info, including the 911 call, have been released.

I'll be stopping by tomorrow to get a copy myself.

pubby

Can't just take the high road and assume they were making sure there weren't any typos.

Can't just take the high road and assume they were making sure there weren't any typos.

Madea:

There is no high road.

The only reason the Atlanta media was requesting the information was because the local SO was not talking about the incident at all and apparently did not plan to make a release on the incident.

Basic incident reports are useful to journalists only when it comes to finding out if there are some interesting things going on. When I was doing the police beat for a daily newspaper, I'd saunter into the Police Dept and grab the clipboard where the officers placed the incident reports. I'd flip through them reading the narratives which sometimes didn't include complete sentences. Many were done in long hand. If I found something interesting, then I'd start running down the story by trying to talk with the detective of road officer. I would, on rare occasion, look up the victim or a listed witness and follow up that way.

pubby

I personally believe it is not of anyone's business of every single detail of Glenn's personal incident. <_<

As a private citizen's incident I would agree, no. As Speaker of the House and perhaps Governor candidate's incident... I think so. This man is representing ME and controlling money that I'm FORCED to give to the state. If he's not firing on all cylinders then I think I have a right to know.

SG