Paulding.com

Republicans in GA Senate May Not Bring Sunday Alcohol Sales to Vote

I also wondered the same thing about the fact you can't go in a store on Sunday buy your beer or whatever and go home and drink it but you can legally go to a restaurant and get hammered and drive around. The logic just doesn't make sense to me. Seems like it should be an all or none deal. I for one don't see why Sunday should be any different than any other day. Religion can not be forced upon someone so why have a law that prevents a sale of a certain thing based on religious views. Heck if you can't get it Sunday might as well take it away Wednesday night too. And what about religions that have church on Saturdays? We can take prayer out of school but can't sell beer on Sundays??? HUH call me baffled :wacko:

I say every outlet that wishes to should be allowed to sell any type of alcoholic beverage any time of the day or night and every day of the week. Otherwise we really don't live in a free society. No one is going to force a Baptist into a store to buy alcohol. It's been my experience that Baptists are going to drink and smoke and engage in acts of "sin" regardless, they just don't want anyone to know about it.

• Like 1

I say every outlet that wishes to should be allowed to sell any type of alcoholic beverage any time of the day or night and every day of the week. Otherwise we really don't live in a free society. No one is going to force a Baptist into a store to buy alcohol. It's been my experience that Baptists are going to drink and smoke and engage in acts of "sin" regardless, they just don't want anyone to know about it.

Amen!

Uhhhh... yes. Or what, do you really think a desperate alcoholic would refuse to drink and drive?

How about reading my post again. What I am trying to say is, If liquor could be bought in stores, people would still go to bars, drink, then drive home. Some people are trying to make it sound as though they HAVE to go to bars and drink on Sundays because they can't buy it in store on Sundays. Why do they say "If only they would sell it in stores on Sunday, I would buy it and take it home". Bull crap,If that was the case, then why are DUI'S and alchohol related car accidents on the rise?Sundays would be no different than any other day of the week.

How about reading my post again. What I am trying to say is, If liquor could be bought in stores, people would still go to bars, drink, then drive home. Some people are trying to make it sound as though they HAVE to go to bars and drink on Sundays because they can't buy it in store on Sundays. Why do they say "If only they would sell it in stores on Sunday, I would buy it and take it home". Bull crap,If that was the case, then why are DUI'S and alchohol related car accidents on the rise?Sundays would be no different than any other day of the week.

I imagine the recent years of a down economy are contributing to more folks drinking and unfortunately some are choosing to drive. I know from working in bars, they are full of depressed people looking to drown their sorrows. And in recent years people have certainly found more "sorrow" than not. I really don't think you can draw a correlation to what day of the week they choose to drink.

I imagine the recent years of a down economy are contributing to more folks drinking and unfortunately some are choosing to drive. I know from working in bars, they are full of depressed people looking to drown their sorrows. And in recent years people have certainly found more "sorrow" than not. I really don't think you can draw a correlation to what day of the week they choose to drink.

To say it's because of the economy is also BULL! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR DRINKING AND DRIVING! none!PLease read my post again! I am not making a correlation to what day of the week they choose to drink. What I am saying is ,don't be a hypocrite and tell me you go to a bar to drink on Sundays, because you can't buy it in stores!

Where was this group whent he State lottery was approved? Did they have a problem with buying lottery tickets on Sunday? That is a form of gambling correct???

If I remember correctly, there was huge opposition to it. A lady come to our church thinking that she was going to gain sympathy for her cause by talking about how only poor people would buy lottery tickets looking for the American dream, while taking food out of their childrens mouths. Saying things like, 'instead of buying milk, they will by a lottery ticket just trying to get ahead'. With that ridiculous statement, I got up and walked right out on her. The lottery had/has nothing to do with the decisions we make, it's all about choice, just like it should be a choice to buy alcohol on Sunday.

The kicker in all this is that I don't even drink, so this won't effect me one way or another. But that doesn't make it right for a prudish few to dictate to everyone else.

To say it's because of the economy is also BULL! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR DRINKING AND DRIVING! none!PLease read my post again! I am not making a correlation to what day of the week they choose to drink. What I am saying is ,don't be a hypocrite and tell me you go to a bar to drink on Sundays, because you can't buy it in stores!

??? Not sure why that would make him a hypocrite, but I will tell you I have personally gone to a restaurant on a Sunday when I realized we did not have a bottle of wine and I wanted a glass with dinner. :pardon: (Would have been much cheaper to just have to stop at the grocery store and pick one up, but that's okay, helped out a local business)

Disclaimer: Before anyone starts jumping up and done and screaming I do not not drink and drive.

Yes, alcoholics and those who drink responsibly will find a way, regardless. But the point is that we shouldn't have to just because some want to legislate religion/morality. Doesn't stop DUIs anyway.

??? Not sure why that would make him a hypocrite, but I will tell you I have personally gone to a restaurant on a Sunday when I realized we did not have a bottle of wine and I wanted a glass with dinner. :pardon: (Would have been much cheaper to just have to stop at the grocery store and pick one up, but that's okay, helped out a local business)

Disclaimer: Before anyone starts jumping up and done and screaming I do not not drink and drive.

Not saying HE was a hypocrite, only people who say these things, generally speaking

I never said you were. And you're right there is no excuse. I'm not offering a possible excuse. I'm merely stating an opinion of why I think DUI's have increased. That's all. Sorry I wasn't clear.

If I remember correctly, there was huge opposition to it. A lady come to our church thinking that she was going to gain sympathy for her cause by talking about how only poor people would buy lottery tickets looking for the American dream, while taking food out of their childrens mouths. Saying things like, 'instead of buying milk, they will by a lottery ticket just trying to get ahead'. With that ridiculous statement, I got up and walked right out on her. The lottery had/has nothing to do with the decisions we make, it's all about choice, just like it should be a choice to buy alcohol on Sunday.

The kicker in all this is that I don't even drink, so this won't effect me one way or another. But that doesn't make it right for a prudish few to dictate to everyone else.

:drinks: :rofl:

North Carolina has one of the stupidest laws... you can only buy liquor in airplane size bottles. Is that still true?

And can't you only buy wine and liquor from state run stores - the ABC liquor stores?

TN is silly, too. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place, but you can buy on Sundays. So, grocery stores have beer, but no wine and liquor. YOu have to hit the package store for those. Package stores do not have beer.

There are some places that are technically different locations, but are really the same place. i.e. a wall seperates teh wine and beer and there are different registers. Oh, and the times you are allowed to buy on Sunday varies by CITY not county.

Hmm ... it occurs to me that maybe we don't need to change our laws regarding alcohol, but instead change our laws regarding tobacco to *match* them. ;)

That's not bull crap. Ask ANYONE who has had a DUI in their life. If DUI's are on the rise, it's probably due to older people who have never been caught, because DUI "awareness" is higher than I have ever seen in my life. DUI penalties are tougher than you could possibly imagine, today. And like Mark said, the economic crisis HAS IN FACT, increased alcoholism and other abuses, even suicide rates jump dramamtically. These are all well known facts to most people. You could research it if you like.

I would infer that your heavy defensiveness about this topic only leads me to believe that some people will always continue to try to legislate laws, based on religion, and force others to sacrifice a portion of their freedom. We live in a society where people often have to work on Sundays, which would be a clear and well defined "sin" according to Mosaic Law. Wherein, there's not a single Biblical thing that says having a glass of wine on Sunday, in any way, infringes on the Sabbath. Given that, it would seem that a lot of "tradition" has gotten in the way of common sense.

It's been my experience that Baptists are going to drink and smoke and engage in acts of "sin" regardless, they just don't want anyone to know about it.

I don't know why you brought up one religious group's personal behavior in a thread that's about alcohol sales on Sunday but since you did. I've known Baptists that are quite different than your description. (Not sure why you brought it up.) I'm not going to discuss the "sin" part of your post. I don't think it is appropriate to discuss that here.

I love your posts!!!!! :drinks: